Create Account

My pitch for the Tampa Bay Barracuda

With the news that @cpetrella got the Tampa Bay Barracuda GM job, I wanted to use this opportunity to at least make a little bit of money out of the pitch that I wrote for my own self. I want to congratulate trella and I think he will do a great job with the team! I actually am not shocked that he got the job over me. I am not even sure I was even second best, frankly. I am more or less a no name here, so I am not super shocked. But still, making money is not a bad idea and I already wrote all of this, so might as well use it right? I also welcome the chance to hear where I could have had a better approach. Anyway, below see my own written pitch for my GM application for Tampa Bay.

Tampa Bay Barracuda - JuOSu GM application

Hello and thank you for reading my official application to become the new GM of the Tampa Bay Barracuda. When I recreated in this league as my player, Thomas Vanice, my big goal was to become GM here one day, as it gives me the opportunity to go after a big goal of mine. I think that this opportunity in particular fits a lot of my needs and wishes and is perfect for my skill set as a GM. In the following, I will discuss some of the questions raised in the post and try to show why I am the right candidate for this team.

Introduction about myself

While I have been a bit more quiet in the SHL compared to other leagues, I have been in the SHL for quite a while now and feel like I know my way around it fairly well. I am a well known sim league presence, mainly through my activity in the PBE and the NSFL and have managed to create a fairly distinguished history and pedigree. In the PBE, I have been a GM from Season 2 to current day (S19). I have managed to create both a Hall of Fame player, as well as win four championships as a GM and win the GM of the year award five times (most of anyone in league history). In the NSFL, I was GM from S14 to S21 (as well as a co-GM in earlier seasons previously). In this time, I managed to win one championship as a GM and won the GM of the year award twice.

GM Philosophy

My philosophy as a GM is fairly simple and yet seems to be quite effective: Always have a plan. As someone who takes these sim leagues quite a bit too seriously, I tend to always think and plan whenever I can. I always try to get the most out of my team, whether that is through trades, effort, strategy in the sim or others. I also always plan for the future. I would rather set up a team for success for ten seasons than bet it all on one. Playoffs can be a fickle beast, I would rather set up a team in a way where I will reach the playoffs each season because it gives me a better chance overall.

When it comes to how to set up a roster, it all starts with drafting well, something that will be incredibly important in the case of Tampa Bay. Drafting well starts with effective scouting and being well prepared. In my time as GM in other leagues, I have set up a system of personalized scouting that goes beyond just sending a copy paste message to each user, which has helped me be much more effective in regards to making connections with people and getting a good sense of them.

Trades are another big thing for me. I think making smart and strategic trades can be very effective and needed. I have made some very tough trades in my history as a GM, but ones that I think have had a very big effect on the teams I had control over.

Effort is an obvious thing but it leads to dedication. I take this quite seriously and put that effort into any team I am GM of. I have written similar documents for several free agents before, which has lead to the ability to bring free agents to teams they would not have necessarily considered in the first place.

Tampa Bay Barracuda

When it comes to Tampa Bay, they are set up very well for the future, but short term, their team is in a very rough spot. Below, I want to highlight some of my plans and goals.

Short-term planning

In the short-term the main goal is to evaluate the roster that already exists and see who is willing to stick around for a long term rebuild. Not everyone will be and perhaps some trades might help in that regard. Finding those that are willing to stick around is important. It will also make it crucial to extend certain players that would become free agents otherwise. Looking at the budget sheet it looks like there are a lot of people with expiring contracts, I am unclear if this is just not updated yet or if they are all actually expiring. (Edited note: I had a specific sentence in here detailing who I would focus on, that was taken out under the precaution of not wanting to get in trouble for any type of reason with posting this, based on a conversation I had with SDCore)

A big part of my short-term planning would also be to just learn about the team, talk to the people on the team, see who is in the war room and decide who should be kept in that form and who should be added. I know MCP got fired and not everyone is going to be happy about someone else taking over, so I would welcome the opportunity to work with him and learn more about his direction for the team and make sure we see eye to eye, since he obviously built up the start of this rebuild with so many draft picks and such. I think there will be some change obviously, given that a leadership change of this magnitude would probably not be welcomed by some, but having people dedicated to this process would be vital in the war room.

The other aspect of the short-term plan is to draft well, especially in the upcoming draft where Tampa Bay has a lot of draft picks, including two in the top five picks and the first overall pick. It will be crucial to choose the right people that are going to want to play for this franchise and want to be part of the bigger rebuild. I want to draw a small comparison to two of my experiences as a previous GM below, to show that I have experience with this exact scenario previously.

In the PBE I took over a team in S2, a team that only had less than a handful actives at the time. Because of trading for my own player and my co-GMs player, our first pick was in the 5th round of the draft and yet we managed to get two long-term active players in that draft that spent their entire career with my team.

In the NSFL I took over a team in S14, a team that had less than a handful actives at the time. In S15, we had a massive draft with many picks. I managed to draft three players that were made into war room members a bit later and still are to this day. The team managed to be set up from that draft and later managed to have the first playoff appearance in 8 seasons and later won a championship as well.

It is vital that this team is put together in a similar fashion, by drafting guys willing to stick around and willing to put in extra effort to turn a bad team into a good one.

Long-term planning

As I highlighted above, being able to keep everyone active and everyone extended will be the main goal of any long-term plan. It won’t help to draft great active guys if they are gone a few seasons later before they enter their prime. You also need to keep all the current prospects active, which is another big goal. So far, there seem to be some really interesting prospects on the team as well. Any long-term planning would also involve the acquisition of free-agents and perhaps some people via trade. Through my long history in sim leagues now, I feel like I have made close friendships with a good number of people and I know that a few would welcome the chance to play for a team with me, meaning that I feel confident I could bring some bigger names to the team that would work well as a combination with newly drafted players.

Acquiring my player

(Editor's note: I took out the details of what I think my own player could or should be traded for, for similar reasons as above, but I also did not go into too much detail here. I frankly have no idea what my value really would have been. Needless to say, a trade of some kind would have had to happen though, since I was not on Tampa Bay. I am also sure that @JKortesi81 wouldn't have traded me for peanuts. Tongue )

-----

Well that was my pitch. I realize that in the end, any good pitch would only matter so little and my activity in this league probably still did not deserve getting a GM job, but I will not stop applying to them anyway. Eventually I might be good enough for one. One can only hope anyway.

That being said, I hope that some people enjoyed the little inside glimpse of what I consider to be a fairly decent application for a GM job and hopefully that sort of shows a bit of my personality and my dedication as well. I welcome any criticism and comments. Thanks for reading and again good luck Trella! I think you will do great and have a great opportunity here!

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

Hands down one of the best GM's I've ever had, I wish you all the best in your quest to be a GM here, and when it happens you're going to do amazing things!

[Image: p82ugau.png]

You deserve to have a shot for the “GM Hat Trick”. It’s just going to be tough. You’d be a top candidate for an expansion franchise for sure.

And I wouldn’t trade you for peanuts, but any future trades will involve them now.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

06-29-2020, 05:06 PMJKortesi81 Wrote: You deserve to have a shot for the “GM Hat Trick”. It’s just going to be tough. You’d be a top candidate for an expansion franchise for sure.

And I wouldn’t trade you for peanuts, but any future trades will involve them now.

Or just lead a mutiny to overthrow you, ez

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

06-29-2020, 05:47 PMztevans Wrote:
06-29-2020, 05:06 PMJKortesi81 Wrote: You deserve to have a shot for the “GM Hat Trick”. It’s just going to be tough. You’d be a top candidate for an expansion franchise for sure.

Or just lead a mutiny to overthrow you, ez

Shhhh. That’s what I am currently doing.

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26

06-29-2020, 04:59 PMTate Wrote: Hands down one of the best GM's I've ever had, I wish you all the best in your quest to be a GM here, and when it happens you're going to do amazing things!

Gonna make me cry <3

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]