Create Account

Hockey Dynasty

The Topeka Dimwits have arrived  Cool

[Image: rum_ham.gif] [Image: ox6aAot.png]
[Image: 62428_s.gif]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png]Colin Lambert ll Left Defence ll Barracuda[Image: NA3IV5m.png]

07-07-2020, 01:03 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
07-07-2020, 12:33 PMShmurph Wrote: @RomanesEuntDomus You also have my crappy team to deal with now Tongue

Ohhh nice! Other Conference I see but guess we just gotta meet in the Finals then :D

The regular season is only between your own conference? I need to learn how to play then so I can meet you in the finals Smile

07-07-2020, 02:01 PMShmurph Wrote:
07-07-2020, 01:03 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Ohhh nice! Other Conference I see but guess we just gotta meet in the Finals then :D

The regular season is only between your own conference? I need to learn how to play then so I can meet you in the finals Smile

Looks like there's a little bit of crossover.. 

{Teams will play most games against opponents in their division and conference, with a few cross-conference matches throughout the season. The playoffs will see the top 8 teams in each conference facing off in a best-of-5 elimination series until there is only one team remaining from each conference – these teams will meet in the cup final in which one will be crowned league champions.}

[Image: hudson.png]

07-06-2020, 09:42 PMSpartanGibbles Wrote: I'm ready to crash my team in HD into the ground from not understanding how things work, but I'm sure I'll have fun while doing it.

Likewise

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

It's a lot more interesting now that I have a couple games under my belt. A 2-1 win and 5-1 win in my first two exhibition games.  My second line is stealing the show.  

All three players on my second line with 1G, 2A through 2 games.  Pretty impressive. My starting goaling averaging 1GAA a game.  I'm sure that won't last.

[Image: hudson.png]

Who's the imposter RumHam in division III.12?  Ninja

I will find you and take you down. There can only be one

[Image: rum_ham.gif] [Image: ox6aAot.png]
[Image: 62428_s.gif]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png]Colin Lambert ll Left Defence ll Barracuda[Image: NA3IV5m.png]

Glad to see the amount of people that came from here and how many signed up for Hockey Dynasty. Pretty awesome stuff.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

The season is underway now, so if you haven't checked in in a while due to the slow off-season, now would be the perfect time to come back and see how your team did so far!

Oh and of course it's not too late to start as a new GM either Smile

I am enjoying this particular game. Being completely undefeated so far helps.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

I just joined SHL and I see a lot of familiar names here. I didn't think SHL would be that big, I must say that I am a little lost
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 04:11 PM by JURT.)

09-10-2020, 03:22 PMRoamus Wrote: I just joined SHL and I see a lot of familiar names here. I didn't think SHL would be that big, I must say that I am a little lost

Don't hesitate to reach out to the rookie mentors on the SHL Discord, they're here for you! Or maybe reach out to one of the names you recognize, they'll be able to help too. It is a bit daunting at first, but you quickly get the hang of it.

[Image: lespoils.gif]

09-10-2020, 03:22 PMRoamus Wrote: I just joined SHL and I see a lot of familiar names here. I didn't think SHL would be that big, I must say that I am a little lost
Same message from me as Lespolis. Don't be afraid to reach out to the rookie mentors like Segi, or even guys like Dominus or Pythonic you know from HD. Really, don't be afraid to reach out to anyone here, people are always looking to help out

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

07-02-2020, 12:14 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Hello SHL,

I’m coming to you today to talk about our newest affiliation, Hockey Dynasty, which you can find at hockeydynasty.com. Before we get started I want to give a big thank you to @SDCore and the entire HO for allowing this partnership to go through and to TheDangaZone and Katth for their help in setting up this post!

So what is Hockey Dynasty? Hockey Dynasty (or HD in short) is a classic hockey manager game which falls into the “easy to learn, hard to master” category. It has all the things that you want from a manager game, trades and contract negotiations, finances and the draft as well as detailed player stats and tactical options. On top of that, it also has real-time games that you can follow live. But unlike many other manager games, especially in the hockey world, it is also incredibly polished and super easy to get into.

HD doesn’t rely on a forum structure, like we have to in the SHL, or has to use crutches like STHS, EHM or FHM which can make things rather complicated, but has its own unique engine and website. All of it has been developed specifically for this game by an incredibly committed developer by the name of archanian, who is running the site as a non-profit one-man project right now, paying for the servers out of his own pocket and all that even though the league already has hundreds of managers.

Another plus to this league is that it has a multi-tier system. So unlike many other manager leagues, it is not limited to 30 teams, but it can support hundreds or even thousands of managers who are trying to work their way up to the very top. And on a personal note, I can’t emphasize enough how impressed I am by the work archanian has done over there and how professional the game looks and feels even though it is completely free, especially if you compare it to a league like the SHL which is very complex but also quite hard to navigate due to the forum restraints.

I hope as many of you as possible check out HD and give it a chance. It is very low maintenance and perfect as a chill side league to a more complex player sim like the SHL. It’s easy to figure out and you don’t have to invest more than a few minutes a week to keep your team running, but if you want you can also spend hours upon hours in the game while talking trade with other managers or trying to figure out the ideal line combinations for the next match-up against your big rival, who might very well be someone that joined with you from the SHL. The league is currently in the off-season, with the draft being on Saturday, July 4th, and the new season starting on July 12th, so now is the perfect time to join.

A similar recruitment post will be made over on their site, so hopefully a bunch of people from Hockey Dynasty will join the SHL as well and we can make this an awesome, mutually beneficial process! The first person from HD has already joined us for the last junior draft and me and a couple of other SHLers have been playing HD for a few months now, so we hope that this partnership can grow further with an official recruitment affiliation!

Thank you for your time and we hope to see you over on hockeydynasty.com! You can also join our Discord here: https://discord.gg/rmyGuma

Cheers,
RED and Katth for archanian and hockeydynasty.com
So we're coming around to the same time of season at Hockey Dynasty that this post was made at last time. Surprise- of all people, it's me. I've been cheating on y'all with these guys. I'd like to invite you all to try Hockey Dynasty, or perhaps give it a second go if you tried it last time and didn't go so well.

Hockey Dynasty isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea; the seasons are twice as long as SHL seasons, the sim engine will sometimes spit interesting game time things at you, and the finances will rip your head off if you aren't careful. I can't really help you with the latter two if they're a turn off, but in reaction to feedback from people who had trouble with finance issues (quite a few of whom went bankrupt over day 1 decisions), RED has written a helpful budget guide that explains the important do's and do not's of running a Hockey Dynasty team. To assist further, I have built a spreadsheet budget projection tool that you can copy to your own google drive and fill out (I'm going to write a guide on this tool as well, but can answer questions when I'm online). This tool will be invaluable to show you exactly what your budget is going to look like at different points of the season, based on your contract salary, team income and when your home games are, and double checking decisions in here before making them will help you stave off bankruptcy.

RED's guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_geB...sp=sharing
Budget assist sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Personally, I have grown to love this league; the games really do "play" live in your browser at to-scale pace, the drama level is significantly lower than the average SHL season, the sim engine rewards intelligent personnel decisions without weird chemistry nonsense or STHS style assymetrical curve fuckery. The length of the seasons sounds daunting, but it should absolutely not lead you to assume that you're going to have to wait literal years in order to assemble a good team- people who have invested time and effort in Tier 3 this season have already put together squads that would ruin the day of quite a few teams in Tier 1.

The drafts are just under 18 hours away, so if you jump in and register a new team right now, you'll be able to get your hands on a bunch of extra prospects.

Absolutely join the Discord, too- it's pretty active and questions are usually answered promptly.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020, 11:02 AM by Avakael.)

Some general pointers-

You don't need to make any significant decisions on day one, and it's probably best that you don't, especially if they cost money. Try to keep your team salary as close to $50m or below until you've got the data you need on when your home games will be to get an idea of how much financial space you really have. If you go below $10m debt at any time, you're sacked. The default home game income and weekly passive income are set assuming you're a .500 team.

There's no need to worry about signing free agents in particular until after you can see exactly where and how they'll improve your squad. Don't worry, there'll be plenty available even mid season. Nor do you need a particularly high salary to win at tier 3; personally, I did it on $52.8m of real salary thanks to deadline signings and only bringing on the right guys for the jobs that needed to be done.

Most of your players will be on the last year of their contract when you get a new team. Consider this a good thing; it allows you to use the first year to figure out which ones you want to keep.

Don't you fucking dare expand your arena.

Play some friendlies, mess around with your team strats. See what works and what doesn't for you.

Remember to rest your players; if your player is at 90% condition, his stats are only 90% of normal.

If someone sends you an unsolicited trade offer, reject it. If someone solicits a trade offer, run it past another vet before accepting it to make sure you're getting fair value. Most people are cool, but there's a couple of low key shameless con artists around. Absolutely don't take a single offer unless you've seen a screenshot of their entire player page.

Players signal retirement at random starting from age 35 and after. They'll also start to see their stats drop then, too. You won't be on the hook for excess salary if they retire early, but you will be on the hook for excess salary if they don't retire while not having the stamina to be out there much.

Fitness is a modifier on how much your player's condition goes down after each game, on top of ice time. High fitness players can play big minutes.

Players with higher focus improve their stats faster. Younger players improve their stats faster. Players further away from the limits of their potential improve their stats faster.

The important stats for goalies are agility, gloves, positioning, and blocking. If you have one with 15, 16+ in all four+fitness, he is WORTH HIS WEIGHT IN GOLD, and you should not trade them away for anything short of a 6 star prospect if even that.

Players form will yo-yo up and down fairly randomly, but not playing games is a sure fire way for that player to hit awful form and stay there.

Finally, off the top of my head, there's a written game guide at http://hockeydynasty.com/guide that will cover many things (although you'll inevitably be scratching your head over an exception or two).

Thanks for the write-ups Ava, I definitely agree with all your points and would still recommend this game Smile

We've also managed to bring some people over to the SHL from there as well which has made this a great mutually beneficial relationship between our two leagues!