Create Account

[Serious] TPE cap in junior (Let us build)

I'd rather see people just go up to SHL faster. If your team doesn't have room you should be able to jet to UFA after 3 seasons and find icetime elsewhere if it comes to it.

The mentality should be to get to SHL asap imo

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

Waivers should be in affect after season 3 instead of going into season 5 now. Will create a little more turnover, more room on J teams for young players and rookies to shine

I also believe that our training system is backwards, and always has been but too late to change it. Find it weird that junior players training earns less TPE than pro players, and that junior players grow so slowly. Should be a large amount of TPE to earn starting out, that tapers off as you enter the pro leagues, but definitely way too late to change

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

07-08-2020, 05:37 PMJumpierPegasus Wrote: Waivers should be in affect after season 3 instead of going into season 5 now. Will create a little more turnover, more room on J teams for young players and rookies to shine

I also believe that our training system is backwards, and always has been but too late to change it. Find it weird that junior players training earns less TPE than pro players, and that junior players grow so slowly. Should be a large amount of TPE to earn starting out, that tapers off as you enter the pro leagues, but definitely way too late to change

That's kinda how training camp works? But yeah personal coaching it weird

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

07-08-2020, 05:39 PMSlashACM Wrote:
07-08-2020, 05:37 PMJumpierPegasus Wrote: Waivers should be in affect after season 3 instead of going into season 5 now. Will create a little more turnover, more room on J teams for young players and rookies to shine

That's kinda how training camp works? But yeah personal coaching it weird

If the update scale is balanced, a +3 TPE boost for a SMJHL player should still be more impactful than a +5 TPE boost for a player in regression. I think part of the problem is the +5 tier for 9-11 TPE is really prohibitive. Bumping it down to +4 opens up an average of 16 TPE on most 350 builds, making the training more valuable

tbh... Expand the SHL again. Make more positions available for users. Trim down SMJHL time from 4+1 seasons to 3+1 seasons.

Whilst I understand some people enjoying the juniors, the main point of this game is to play (and win) in the SHL. The J should be there to introduce rookies/new users to the site in a friendly environment to then make their way up. Consider the fact that the average season length is 2.5 months... You're forcing users to stay in the juniors for 10 months of their time on the site. That's huge.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

07-08-2020, 02:39 PMgrok Wrote:
07-08-2020, 02:19 PMMutedfaith Wrote: Id rather keep the current cap than add 25 TPE every season. Doesn't add a whole lot of anything if you ask me.

I basically agree with this. 25 TPE is like 3 stat points at 350+. It's a minor threat--3 stat points is a nearly imperceptible change. If that's enough to solve the problem, then the problem wasn't big enough to warrant policy action in the first place.

Quote:Also, only short term thinking people let themselves lose motivation over a juniors cap. Long term, the cap is irrelevant on a player level, but has its uses on a league level.

Agree with the exposition but strongly disagree with the conclusion. The only people who will lose motivation over the juniors cap are people with limited attachment to the site. A first-gen with approximately 2 months on the site pressing up against the cap is exactly a person with limited attachment to the site, and they are the most vulnerable and most critical players for retention efforts. Improving first-gen experience is the single most important thing HO can do, and properly managing the TPE cap is one of their tools to increase engagement for players spending 3+ seasons in the SMJHL.
But would you change the cap to a higher value and risk losing every rookie on a team in a rebuild in their first season?

Because having a higher cap is going to get you TBB-style seasons for Js teams in a rebuild. And I doubt any cap could make people disappear quicker than losing 40+ games in their rookie season and being dunked on by the whole league.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

07-08-2020, 05:34 PMFlappyGiraffe Wrote: I'd rather see people just go up to SHL faster. If your team doesn't have room you should be able to jet to UFA after 3 seasons and find icetime elsewhere if it comes to it.

The mentality should be to get to SHL asap imo

^This

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

Quote:One thing to keep in mind is that for new players, it sucks being garbage. Rookies have a hard time performing as it is with limited ice time and making them comparatively worse could have a bad effect on retention.

Since we are on a new sim engine it isn't a bad idea to review the cap, but this point right here is the core of the issue and the reason why I think we should be very hesitant about a higher cap.

Every raise of the cap makes things comparatively harder and worse for new players while giving a further incentive to stay down in juniors as long as possible, which isn't really something we as the league should be looking to promote. We want turnover in juniors and new people to be able to contribute right away, not dynasties built on the backs of fourth year send-downs. If you want to stay down as long as possible to help your junior team thats fine, but you will have to deal with some drawbacks as a trade-off. There is a very easy way to not be affected by this Cap if you find it too restrictive you know...

Also I don't have any statistics on this so maybe something who is more directly involved with the SMJHL at the moment can give some insight, but my gut feeling is that a higher junior cap in FHM would have a bigger impact than it would've had in STHS. In our old engine, raising the cap to say 550 would've come down to only a few attribute points in key attributes, but in our new system with more skills to imiprove and an update scale thats very forgiving early on, those extra TPE would translate to a lot more attribute points and noticeable improvements.

07-09-2020, 02:28 AMMutedfaith Wrote:
07-08-2020, 02:39 PMgrok Wrote: I basically agree with this. 25 TPE is like 3 stat points at 350+. It's a minor threat--3 stat points is a nearly imperceptible change. If that's enough to solve the problem, then the problem wasn't big enough to warrant policy action in the first place.

Agree with the exposition but strongly disagree with the conclusion. The only people who will lose motivation over the juniors cap are people with limited attachment to the site. A first-gen with approximately 2 months on the site pressing up against the cap is exactly a person with limited attachment to the site, and they are the most vulnerable and most critical players for retention efforts. Improving first-gen experience is the single most important thing HO can do, and properly managing the TPE cap is one of their tools to increase engagement for players spending 3+ seasons in the SMJHL.
But would you change the cap to a higher value and risk losing every rookie on a team in a rebuild in their first season?

Because having a higher cap is going to get you TBB-style seasons for Js teams in a rebuild. And I doubt any cap could make people disappear quicker than losing 40+ games in their rookie season and being dunked on by the whole league.

I think my response to sve7en above answers your reply.