Create Account

[SHN] A view from the Commissioner's Office
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 04:03 PM by SDCore.)

[Image: SHN_Red_lightgrey_wordmark.png]

I am writing this today to kind of give a more detailed insight on how things look from my perspective, from the league’s perspective, and how things internally work inside the Simulation Hockey Leagues Head Office. This is hoping to be a multi part series where we break down the ins and outs of day to day work from the leagues Head Offices and other important roles within the site. To start we are going to look at the role I am the closest to, that of the Commissioner of the Simulation Hockey League.

As you all know or must of you know, I am the current Commissioner of the SHL so it feels only fair to start this series talking about my job, my duties as Commissioner and my view on the league and my role within it.

Let us start with my responsibilities because that seems to be a good place to start. Typically, on a day to day level, my responsibilities include communicating with both my Head Office and the Juniors Head Office. I work closely with their Commissioner BadWolf, to make sure that both leagues are operating and functioning well. As a Commissioner I am hands-off with a lot of the comings and goings with the Junior leagues. This is because we need to have full faith that the people in charge their do their jobs and do it well, which I believe is currently the case. A huge aspect of my job is working with the SHL GMs and Co-GMs, though the Head Office and Co-Commissioner are huge here. Then comes working with all the job heads, the simmers, and a lot of the members of the site. Basically, my job on a day to day basis, is jumping around discord and the site to see what is going on and if I am needed anywhere. As well as answering personal messages and pings all day. You start to feel a little bit like you are on call 24/7 and a secretary to the entire site. I will be honest; this is the hardest part of my job. The undue stress of feeling needed at the drop of a hat can wear on you. It is also a part of my obsessive nature, where I feel like I feel like I must be everywhere all at once. On any given day, since I live on the West Coast, I will wake up to get ready to go to my IRL job and have 5-10 messages waiting for me. This is no fault of anyone but is a big part of the job that is unseen.

Generally, when the season is running, it is basic operations things we deal inside the Head Office. You might get contract related questions or line related questions, but things tend to run smoother while the season is moving. The hard part is when the season is winding down or starting up. In a short succession you have, playoffs, lotto, draft, recruitment, regression, offseason, tasks, contracts, and preseason. This is all built into a compressed schedule that the Head Office must manage, while still maintaining a level of sanity and real life/real work. Having an active Co-Commissioner, which I do god bless Nour, is amazingly helpful. I remember when I was Eggy’s co and was doing a ton of work and thinking, geeze what does Eggy do, now being in his shoes it is an odd feeling. You become this manager of people and personalities, tip toeing around things to make sure you don’t upset one group, just to piss off another one.

The hard part about Commissioner is that there is not much tangible or visible work that you can show and prove to others. I feel like that it is the issue with a lot of the higher profile jobs, but we need to get better as a league of showing appreciation for these types of things. We also as a league, my office mostly, need to look at the way we pay our users and members. This is one of the big things we are working on right now. We are reviewing jobs, the rulebook, pay for twitter, and pretty much how money is earned and given around the site. We have a couple of cool projects that are in the works, that I think will boost site and community engagement even more.

We know there are issues, it’s one of the reasons we put out the off-season poll, to gauge were the league is at and were we should focus our attention. We know the site wants a new index, a call for the rework of the cap, for better payment/refocusing how people are paid and these are all things we are slowly trying to work at. We have been trying to find a way to make a better looking and more functioning index. What we have works for what we are able to do within the csv exports for FHM. We are a bit limited by what they give us. I know early in transition talks, we were working with a few users to create a pbp export sheet, but time and money came against us. This is the biggest issue we face with having a new index is the amount of time and work it would take. We need volunteers to code and build it from pretty much scratch. From what I understand and have talked to people about this would be very lengthy and costly if we had to pay for it. So, finding someone who can volunteer that much time would be a bit nutty. I agree with much of the site that the current index could be better, but it needs to be taken into consideration, just how much luck we need to have to get this done quickly and cheaply.

Looking at the league through my lens, I feel like we have had a pretty successful transition to FHM and the league is in a really good place activity wise. We are still growing, and the upcoming reddit recruitment is exciting. The sheer number of recreates from the before times has been a very welcomed sight. The league had a new Cup winner this season and while parity is not super great, I feel we have a strategy to combat that going forward. We are going to look at the cap and contract/tpe tiers to see if we can get more player movement and get the league to disperse some of the top talent to other teams.
The last real big thing I will say, is that yes the rumors are true, if the reddit recruitment goes well and the site brings in another big chunk of players, we will be looking at an SHL expansion next season. It would include 2 teams, that have obviously yet to be determined. We as a league need to make sure that the longevity of not only these teams, but also of the rebuilding teams is able to be sustained. We don’t want to have teams that were doomed before their existence was ever made, but we also don’t want to hurt younger players and stifle growth. We will be looking at how many actives are across the league both SHL and SMJHL and how many call-ups/send downs are happening each season. If these numbers warrant expansion, we will likely consider it.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this a little bit. I hope it gave you a little bit more insight to me and my job/time as commissioner. Hopefully, it wasn’t too rambling. I hope to interview and give insight to a couple more of the jobs around the sight. If you are interested, let me know.

Cheers,

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

the view sucks imho

[Image: 3.png]

I for one love forced player movement

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 03:54 PM by RedCapeDiver.)

I always knew the government was really run by the media
#theSHNrunstheSHL

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

Lots of good info here. Real good work Core  Shl

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

SJHN logo but SHN post? Well, you're excused, you do so much work. Good work btw. Very interesting article I think.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

07-13-2020, 03:58 PMCarpy48 Wrote: SJHN logo but SHN post? Well, you're excused, you do so much work. Good work btw. Very interesting article I think.

lies

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Heart Ilike

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.

07-13-2020, 04:03 PMSDCore Wrote:
07-13-2020, 03:58 PMCarpy48 Wrote: SJHN logo but SHN post? Well, you're excused, you do so much work. Good work btw. Very interesting article I think.

lies

You're right, I didn't read it.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

I think this confirms the SHN as the Cabal of the SHL

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

Thank you general manager SDCore

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Suddenly SHN is just propoganda for HO.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 04:20 PM by SlashACM.)

Why expand, just put fourth lines in

Also lots of people donated money, I'm assuming some of it pays for servers but the rest should be used to hire index makers

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 04:28 PM by Patty.)

07-13-2020, 04:16 PMNhamlet Wrote: Suddenly SHN is just propoganda for HO.

We are a free media network that gets no money from HO

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

07-13-2020, 04:19 PMSlashACM Wrote: Why expand, just put fourth lines in

Also lots of people donated money, I'm assuming some of it pays for servers but the rest should be used to hire index makers

... let’s also have a ‘save the index’ donation marathon and use what ever is raised for the programmers

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria