Create Account

A Look at Liam Slate (x2 Draft Media)
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2020, 09:06 PM by Tylar.)

A Look at Liam Slate

Code:
Ready To Grade - x2 Draft Media

After being drafted first overall in the S54 SMJHL Entry Draft by the Newfoundland Berserkers Liam Slate found himself on a great team and a hill to climb in terms of earning ice time. Liam Slate had a below average rookie season but as a team the Newfoundland Berserkers did well. They finished tied for first in the entire league and were first in the Eastern Conference. With the Season 54 playoffs coming up, the Berserkers are going to have a tough first round facing the former Four Star Cup Champions the Detroit Falcons. The Falcons had a rough season for a team that most would have expected to win it all this season. The Berserkers are coming into the playoffs with high expectations and hope to win the Four Stars Cup with their stacked roster that will also mostly stay intact for next season as well.
Liam Slate had big expectations this season coming into his first season in the SMJHL as the first overall pick. Some might argue his rookie season was lackluster, and others would say context matters. For Slate, he expected more from himself and is sort of disappointed in his rookie season, but understands that context does matter somewhat.

“I went into this season wanting to make an impact. I knew that making an impact would be tough on the Berserkers because they have a stacked team with 3 full lines deep of players more developed than myself. I hoped I would be able to maybe work my way up the depth chart, but it did not happen. Which I guess is not a bad thing because it means our team was extremely strong, but it was kind of disappointing not to be important. I kind of felt a bit of pressure to perform as I was picking first overall, but management did not really put any pressure on me to perform because they knew I probably would not based on where I was in the lineup. I feel like if I played as much as some of the other rookies I maybe would have had a larger impact and likely higher up on the leaderboards, but in reality it does not really matter. We as a team won a lot of games which I was extremely happy with and am excited for the playoffs and next season as well. I knew my time would come, it just would have been nice for it to come sooner rather than later, but I have a feeling next season or even as early as these playoffs I may make the impact I want.”

As for his stat line, Liam Slate recorded 7 goals, and 9 assists for 16 points in 50 games. Slate played strictly on the Berserker’s fourth line with grinder Licco Livius and fellow S55 center Lassi Suhonen. Slate averages 9:37 minutes a game. He had a solid plus 4 rating, 8 penalty minutes and 50 shots on goal. Slate had a high shooting percentage at 14 percent as well as 12 takeaways and 13 shots block. His overall game rating averaged out to be 54. Considering Slate did not play that many minutes for the Berserkers with basically zero special teams minutes, his stats could be seen as impressive. Many of Slate’s draft class were averaging much higher minutes played numbers and were able to achieve higher point totals. Depending on how you look at it, Slate’s season is either disappointing or good. Slate’s season does continue as Newfoundland battles Detroit in the playoffs. While Slate does not play that much with Newfoundland, he may have the opportunity to play a much larger role in the World Juniors this season with the British Isles. Last season Slate played on their third line with other rookies, but the roster has seen a lot of improvements since last season so the World Juniors could be a coming out party for Slate this season.

[Image: victor-olofsson.jpg]

Now looking at Slate as a prospect, he definitely will be considered amongst the top prospects in general but for sure one of the top forwards available. This draft class has a lot of strong defenders at the top too. Scouts may have trouble gauging his ability and potential as a junior player in the seasons to come due to his lack of ice time, but he is definitely seen as a potential star player in a few seasons once his junior career is over. Slate comes from an agency that has brought many SHL regulars so it is assumed Slate will be an SHLer but the long-term potential may be more of a question mark.

Playoffs

Liam Slate played all of the regular season on the fourth line with fellow S55er Lassi Suhonen and S54er Nicco Livius. Slate scored 7 goals and 9 assists for 14 points in 50 games and averaged 10:04 minutes per game. Slate’s stats do not look that impressive for the regular season but throughout the season he improved. During the Playoffs Slate was promoted to the third line with Clean Andrei Kostisyn and Steve Grande. In the playoffs Slate scored 7 goals equalling his regular season total for goals as well as 2 assists for 9 points in 14 games. Slate was extremely clutch for Newfoundland in the playoffs although they ultimately lost. Slate was a revelation for the team and if that momentum continues, Slate will have a great season next season and beyond.

Weakness

Grit - Some would argue that Liam Slate could be considered soft, but his game does not really rely on physical play. This season Slate recorded 10 hits which is not a lot. He does not use the body to get opponents off the puck but rather uses his stick. He did not fight and only had 8 penalty minutes this season. As well, Slate recorded 13 shot blocks which is not a terrible number for a more offensively orientated player but there is a slight bit of grit there. Slate will probably never be a physical force on the ice, which does not mean he is not strong. He just can not be depended on to play a physical grinder or enforcer type role because he is not that type of player.

Code:
1040 Words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

TY NOT BUST

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

Steal of the draft!!

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

I can't believe you weren't a first round pick, Slate is going to be one of the best of this draft class!

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars