Create Account

S55 Edmonton Draft Review (2x Media)
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2020, 07:29 AM by FinnRhys.)

Code:
words = 3,090; 2x draft media
The Season 55 Simulation Hockey League draft was an exciting one for the Edmonton Blizzard faithful. After a tough season for the fans which saw the franchise go from first place in the standings at the halfway mark of the season to finishing third in the Western Conference entering the playoffs with a 29-18-3 record and leading the conference is goals for. The Blizzard were expected to make it deep into the playoffs this season as they have consistently shown they are capable of doing. Alas, it was not to be this season, as Edmonton rode its aging stars as hard as they could into the playoffs, ultimately losing in the first round to the New Orleans Specters, the league champions, in a four games to two series, thus beginning an unusually early (by Edmonton standards) offseason. For a team that prides itself on getting the most out of its talent and veterans, it was clear during the series that Edmonton lacked the legs and stamina to keep up with the supremely talented and youthful Specters.

All of that, however, is in the past and draft was a night spent focusing on the Edmonton Blizzard’s future as a hockey franchise as the team looks to add much needed depth, inject youth and find the heirs apparent for such Blizzard greats as Tor Tuck (@ErM) and Brady McIntyre (@caltroit_red_flames) as they come into the twilight of their exceptional careers. While that may sound like a lot, probably because it is a lot, the Edmonton management appeared up to the task prior to draft night, combing the minor leagues for talent, whether as a diamond in the rough or an erstwhile minor league All Star. Indeed, based upon the Edmonton draft board in the team’s draft night headquarters, it appeared that very few stones had been left unturned as the team looked to find a future supporting cast for the next great up and coming crop of Blizzard superstars like Julio Tokolosh (@Julio Tokolosh), Barrett Blackwood (@MrStennett, James Truong (@James Truong), Jon Forty-One (@C9Van) and Jean-Paul Boivin (@Nokazoa). With a solid farm system in place with several prospects still playing in the minors and a few looking to make the jump up the professional ranks, Edmonton’s management knew it had to make the most of the four picks it owned, especially with the 10th and 13th picks of the first round. With these two picks being so high in the draft, it left the Blizzard general manager the enviable position to have the latitude to use the picks to pick up two marquee young players or potentially use one or both for future draft considerations or to pick up an already recognized SHL player. Either way, Edmonton knew it needed to come through this draft with quality in the small quantity of picks it owned and the Edmonton management did not disappoint.

With a thriving prospect pool full of powerhouse forwards waiting in the wings to make the jump from to the minors and into the senior ranks of professional hockey, it was clear to everyone going into this draft that the weak spot in Edmonton’s prospect pool was at the blue line, with only a single current prospect being a defender. With veterans Tor Tuck and Brady McIntyre hitting the waning seasons of their careers, and little to no depth at the blue line outside of FR Finn-Rhys and Karlstrasse Scholz (@karlssens), there was never a doubt that Edmonton had to address future needs for defensive depth with this draft. The Edmonton management acknowledged this with over half of their draft board being filled with offensive and defensive minded blue liners that could fit Edmonton’s style of play. From the mock drafts and the strategy sessions the Edmonton front office conducted, it was evident that the franchise would use at least one of its picks on the night on a formidable defensive prospect. At the same time, it was clear that Edmonton’s front office was also unafraid to wait to utilize their picks on the right players. If the right defensive prospect was not available, the team was more than ready to trade their picks for future draft prospects or to simply continue to get the best player available in the hopes of trading current or future prospects for a decent defender down the line. Thankfully for both the Edmonton management and faithful, the draft turned out to be very favorable to Edmonton’s goals with three of the four picks being used on defensive players (two defensemen and a goalie) and the final pick being used on a talented yet unsung forward.

Edmonton used its first first-round pick of the night, the 10th pick overall, to immediately address any concerns the faithful had on defensive depth in the prospect pool. With the selection of Axel Foley (@Mazatt), a relatively homegrown, stout defenseman from Red Deer, Blizzard fans not only got arguably the best defensive prospect in the draft, but also got a hometown kid who many have seen rise up through the juniors and minor league hockey systems. With Foley growing up less than two hours south of Edmonton, it is not surprising that Edmonton scouts spotted him before he made the jump to the SMJHL where he currently plays for the Carolina Kraken. A dominating physical presence on the blue line, Foley will likely bring a defensive-minded approach to the blue line and will likely develop into one of the most feared players on the ice due to his ability to dole out glass shattering checks along the boards and his innate skill at being in the right place at the right time. In his first season in the SMJHL, Foley earned significant playing time enroute to winning the Four Star Cup as the champion of the SMJHL. While averaging just under 17 minutes a game, Foley was able to tally 4 goals and 11 assists while earning a -3 +/- rating. While those numbers don’t scream super star at first glance, it was Foley’s consistent effort throughout the season that endeared him to SHL franchises, as it was clear that he was still getting his skates under him. As Foley adjusted to the professional game he continued to play up against the competition and made great strides defensively, accruing 47 hits, 17 take-aways and 30 blocked shots during the regular season. It was his post-season that really set him apart from other draftees, however. In twenty games Foley tallied 7 points on 3 goals and 4 assists while also adding 24 hits and 12 blocked shots. With quality play at both ends of the ice, it was no surprise that Axel Foley became one of the most coveted defensive draft prospects in this season’s draft. While there were rumblings that Foley would go earlier in the draft, when he magically was still available when Edmonton came to the podium, it was all but a forgone conclusion that he would be selected.

“We really see a lot of promise in Axel. He is an old school hard nosed player that we have had an eye on for a long time,” Edmonton Co-General Manager Tommy Salami (@"tommysalami") said immediately following the announcement of the pick. “We had Axel as one of the top three defensemen in this draft and we really did not think that he would be available at this point. We considered drafting up to get him but that really isn’t our philosophy. We decided to sit tight and roll the dice and luck was on our side.”

“I am extremely excited to have been picked by Edmonton. I really think that there is no place I would rather have been and I look forward to getting on the ice,” a clearly excited Foley said after getting his picture taken holding up a Blizzard sweater. “This is a dream come true!”

Only a short time later Edmonton was back at the podium again to announce their next selection in the draft. With the 13th overall pick in the draft, Edmonton used its second pick in the first round to select another highly rated defenseman, Terrence “Big Terry” Smith (@Puljujarvi98). One of the more unique players in this season’s draft, Smith represents the growth of hockey throughout the United States as he hails from one of the least likely hockey cities to produce a professional hockey player, Palm Springs, California, which is nestled in the Sonoran Desert of sunny southern California. While Palm Springs certainly is not known as a traditional hockey hotbed, Smith has put the city on the map with his fantastic play for the Colorado Raptors this past season, his first in the SMJHL. In 47 regular season games Smith tallied 1 goal and 5 assists with 11 hits and 30 blocked shots while averaging just over 16 minutes a game. While Smith has had a longer adjustment period than Foley, he is arguably one of the most exciting young prospects at the blue line based upon his physical traits alone. At 6’7” and 210 pounds, Smith has the frame of a very young Zdeno Chara. With a solid frame to build upon, Smith could easily become one of the biggest and most feared defensive forces in the SHL. To say that Smith was selected for his physical characteristics is misleading though. Make no mistake about it, Terrence Smith is a quality hockey player. It was as much his consistent improvement throughout the season as his imposing size that attracted teams to Raptors games for early scouting. With a long reach and a willingness to give it his all every shift out on the ice, Smith showed the grit and determination that could make him one of the work horses of the defensive pairings in a few seasons.

“We thought very highly of Smith from the first time our scouts saw him. He has a big frame that with a little more maturity will make him scarier that he already his. Terry has all the ingredients, you can see it when he skates on the ice how smooth and effortless he is and he always finds a way to be in the right position at the right time. We had him rated as a top 10 pick so to have him available at number 13, we knew we had to have him,” said Edmonton’s Co-General Manager @Keygan.

“I am so excited for my family, my friends and my fans. I still have a lot to learn in this game but I look forward to coming to work and giving it my best every day. I can promise you, no one will worker harder than I will,” stated Smith. “This is the opportunity of a lifetime and I never dreamt this day would actually come true. I hope I can make my family, my friends and my Palm Springs community proud and put SoCal hockey on the map.”

After their second pick, Edmonton had two rounds to wait until their next pick, the 42nd, came up for selection. With several quality offensive players available Edmonton made a surprising pick selecting Peter Ramsay (@Hoovuh), a young and talented albeit raw goaltender. A native of Reading, England, Ramsay is another example of the Edmonton scouting department making their rounds internationally to find quality players that come from areas not traditionally known for hockey talent. What makes this pick so surprising isn’t Ramsay’s talent, that is undeniable. Instead, it is that Edmonton already has a young goaltender, current starter Emiko Spector (@Emiko), who just finished her first season as the full time netminder for the team. It is clear, however, that Edmonton saw incredible value in Ramsay and by selecting him the franchise does answer a critical question: who will be the heir apparent for Spector? Clearly Edmonton leadership saw the talent of Ramsay with his quick glove and cat like reflexes and saw a player that could not be passed up on. Ramsay was clearly one of the best, if not the best, goalie in the draft and worthy of an earlier pick. In 11 games with Kelowna Ramsay posted astronomical numbers, earning 10 wins with a 1.35 goals against average and a .942 save percentage while also earning 2 shut outs. A standout in net, Ramsay will likely vie for time in the Edmonton net in only a few seasons and will likely develop into a premier goaltender. While no prospect is completely a lock to develop, Ramsay is one of those few that has a lot of potential to turn out to be one of the league’s best goalies.

“Peter Ramsay is a once in a lifetime talent at goaltender and we think incredibly highly of him,” Keygan said about the young netminder. “We had him rated very highly on our draft board and he is one of the most naturally gifted goalies I have ever seen. He has exceptional lateral movement and his ability to recover and get into position makes him one of the best goalie prospects in a long time. More than that, he is a leader on the defense and has been vocal about ensuring the team is in the right position, knows their matchups and knows where the puck is. His ability to read an offense and adjust the defense accordingly is second to none and we can’t wait to see him in camp.”

“I am honored to become a part of this storied franchise. I have always looked up to the best goalies in league history and one of my idols growing up was Tommy Tuck (@Muford),” Ramsay said. “I am excited to get to Edmonton and play on the same ice as Tommy and try to have the same success that he had in his career. I want to set my own path but I have a solid trail to begin with, following Tuck and Emiko Spector.”

Edmonton did not have to wait long to select their final player in the draft. With the 50th pick, the Blizzard used their fourth round pick to nab Cody Spinka (@CapoPirate), a rangy Center from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Spinka, who is currently plays with the Saint Louis Scarecrows, is a potential diamond in the rough. He is a tough, gritty centerman who is not afraid to mix it up on the defensive side of the ice. In 50 games last season with Saint Louis, Spink tallied 2 goals and 7 assists while also earning himself 51 penalty minutes, 53 hits and 29 shot blocks. It is clear that Spinka is more of a long term project, at least for now, as his 51 penalty minutes indicate an unsurpring lack of maturity in the young player. With a season or two of tutelage and mentorship from Edmonton’s coaches and players, Spinka could turn out to be the steal of the draft. Indeed, he has all the physical tools already. At 6’3” and 230 pounds he is already one of the most imposing figures on the ice and he has shown a proclivity at throwing his body around to the detriment of his opponents. Spinka has also shown a willingness to learn his craft, as he is one of the more well-rounded prospects to come out of this draft. Combined with his size and can-do mentality, Spinka was absolutely worth the later round pick and could arguably have gone much earlier in the draft.

“To go from Saskatoon to Saint Louis to now here in Edmonton, it has been a whirlwind. I did not have a lot of tape on my before the SMJHL so I knew this past season was going to be what scouts and coaches based their impression of me on so I just tried to show that I put it all out on the line,” an excited Spinka exclaimed. “I have a lot to learn and I don’t think I am ready for the SHL just yet but in a season or two I think I will be more prepared to play with the ‘big’ boys. I am already there physically, I just need to adjust a little more to the pace of play at this level. I really look forward to getting into rookie camp and seeing what I can do.”

“We were absolutely thrilled to select Cody Spinka. He was rated on our draft board as a mid to late second round talent so getting him in the fourth round was an absolute steal,” said Tommy Salami. “We first heard of Cody when he was growing up in youth hockey in Saskatoon but we never really took notice until he caught our eye with his play in Saint Louis. He is solid in the middle and we really think he could develop into a player that we can build around with him anchoring a line in the middle.

All of our prospects in this draft have been phenomenal hockey players that will fill a need the team has, and just as importantly, they have chemistry with what we are trying to do here. We are building a championship team that can compete at the highest level year in and year out and these four players represent the building blocks for the franchise. And, not only are these guys great players, they are great human beings as well. They bring a lot of talent, humility and desire to the locker room and we are excited to see them get on the ice and continue to develop and contribute to Edmonton Blizzard hockey.”

While the Season 55 draft may have been short on picks for Edmonton, they made the most of the four picks they had by selecting the best players available. Critically, these four players filled crucial gaps in the Blizzard franchise’s farm system. Adding much needed depth along the blue line, the heir apparent to the Edmonton net and a future team leader at center, Edmonton was able, by all accounts, to accomplish its goal and set the foundation for the future of the franchise. With rookie camp right around the corner, it will be exciting to see these four youngsters in Edmonton sweaters for the first time and see what the initial return on investment looks like. What is clear, however, is that the future in Edmonton is extremely bright and promising.)

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

Only Jon that matters in Edmonton is Jon Toner.

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

07-18-2020, 09:26 AMC9Van Wrote: Only Jon that matters in Edmonton is Jon Toner.

no u :pepecry:

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Edmonton getting the big D this draft. Nice. Excited to be along for the ride! Blizzard

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]