Create Account

Writing about draftees bc im poor

It's the last day of 2x media, which means it's the last day I'm writing media this season (might write a lil something for 2x IIHF, but we'll see). I play for the Hamilton Steelhawks right now, after that blockbuster trade that happened a few weeks ago, so it makes sense that I would write about players Hamilton drafted. The only thing is they didn't draft very many; only 3, I believe. So in addition to writing about new cheathawks, I'm also going to talk about the players my previous team, New England, selected as well. I'm pretty sure they picked 8 new players, so I'm going to get a good amount of words writing about them.

The first player drafted by Hamilton 19th overall, with a pick initially belonging to Minnesota was Lonnie O'Donoghue. As of today, O'Donoghue is sitting at 309 TPE putting him at 30th in his class. Sitting at quite a low amount, TPE values can be deceiving however, as he is a recreate who previously played for Hamilton and thus was going to be targeted regardless of his amount relative to the rest of his class. Before his most recent player, Noah Andros who didn't get further than 400 TPE, he created a winger, Andrew Martin in S43 who got close to 900 TPE.

Currently O'Donoghue plays for the Vancouver Whalers, where in his first season he played what appears to be 2nd line minutes. He didn't score any goals himself but got 8 assists and I haven't been in the juniors for a year and a half now so I don't know how that compares. He did, however, land 43 hits and end up with 25 PIMs so he is a force to be reckoned with. His plus/minus of -19 does place him 15th lowest in the league, which I know for sure isn't good.

The second player drafted by the Steelhawks is Jason "Wide cock and balls" Desrouleaux. Again, another recreate that used to play for Hamilton so it's no surprise that they took him again. What is surprising, however, is that in his draft class he is currently ranked 9th, so it makes you wonder why O'Donoghue was taken before him. I believe there was some sentiment around the league that Gooney would not sign with another team (he defs was not going to play for the Panthers), but Kimmy's previous players were not exceptional enough to justify passing over a player with so much more TPE than him (over 60).

Desrouleaux, playing for the Whalers alongside O'Donoghue, this time as a right winger, faired better than his teammate. He finished the season with 7 goals and 8 assists, shooting at almost 15% which is almost expected to regress down next season. He played just under 15 minutes a night, which means he likely started on the third line, but either moved up to the second or will move up next season. Again, like O'Donoghue, finished with a plus/minus of -15, which is not great. Maybe the whole team was bad? (idk, i dont keep up with the SMJHL lmao)

The third and final player drafted by Hamilton was Asclepius Perseus Flitterwind taken 47th overall, near the end of the third round. Flitterwind, one of the highest TPE players in his draft class, currently 4th highest with only a 5 TPE difference between him and 1st, dropped heavily due to character reasons? and perhaps being Latvian? Regardless of the reasons he wasn't taken, this has to be a huge steal for Hamilton, as other players selected around the end of the third round are around the 250 TPE range, over 100 TPE less. If he continues at this strong earning capacity, he will develop into being an exceptional player for HAM.

Playing for the Colorado Raptors, he had a similar stat-line to Desrouleaux, scoring 12 goals instead of 7 but with the same amount of assists and time on the ice. His shooting percentage was slightly lower, at exactly 12.5%, so we won't expect much in terms of regression. This draft he was the only player Hamilton selected with a positive plus/minus: 1.

Moving on from players selected by Hamilton (as that was it) we are on to players drafted by my former team, one that I spent 8 seasons on the roster, and 9 seasons with the organization: New England. I could have stopped here and cashed in my 750 words. 1.5 million is nothing to be shy about, but New England drafted as many players as I have currently spoken about in the first round alone. And where there is money to be made, I will be around.

New England had 3 picks in the first round: 8th, 11th, and 15th, and with their 8th overall pick they selected Alexander Oscarsson from the Maine Timber. Zema initially created in S46 with a player named Kristoffer Matsson, who, despite his dreams of being selected first overall, retired very quickly after just barely reaching 200 TPE. His new player is poised to do much better, currently sitting at 336 TPE which, despite only placing him at 26th relative to his draft class, the amounts of TPE between players is very slim. His bank account is sitting at just under $8 million and considering his previous player was very lacklustre, he has spent a great amount of time on this site in such a short amount of time.

Oscarsson played pretty well in Maine this past season averaging 15 minutes of even strength and 2 minutes of powerplay time a game. He scored 6 goals shooting at under 8% so we can expect to see those numbers rise. 7 of his 18 points came while his team had the extra man, however, which could be concerning to some as without any powerplay time he would have only gotten 11 points which is quite low for a winger. Despite his stat line, his activity levels have soared recently and New England can expect to have drafted a strong winger.

The second of the three taken in the first round is Guðmundur Kristjánsson, again a right winger, this one hailing from the Colorado Raptors. Fluw, another recreate from S46 had a better career than Zema. His goalie, Patrice Nadeau played 9 seasons for the San Francisco Pride and ended his career just over 700 TPE and with two Presidents Trophies. His bank balance is over $30 million, enough to not have to struggle to afford equipment for many seasons. 

Kristjánsson's points totals were much lower than that of Oscarssons, only 2 goals and 6 assists, playing third line minutes for the Raptors. With a shooting percentage of under 5%, he can only improve in the seasons going forth. As his player continues to earn, more time on the ice, including additional power play time, we will have greater information of how his play style may translate to the SHL game.

The third and final player drafted in the first round by New England was Ryan Rieley. The pick used to select Rieley was one of the picks traded from Hamilton to New England in exchange for me and fellow teammate Guy Zheng (scott stevens winner, put him in your awards predics, also im gonna win the Dar so keep that in mind too). Brandon, another recreate, this time it's not his second but his 6th player (i'm seeing a trend here with the recreates) is no stranger to the site. He first joined in either February or December 2011 (no clue with how the dates are listed) and has a bank balance of over $16 million. His most recent player last played in S42 so it has been a while, but he seems ready to get back into it.

Another winger, (no surprise given that New England just traded away 4 forwards this off season) he initially played for the Colorado Raptors, but was recently taken by the Quebec City Citadelles in the expansion draft. Playing third line minutes for the Raptors, he managed a 4th highest amount of hits: 99. But hitting is not all he does, he scored 8 goals and 5 assists with his limited minutes and that was without any power play time as well. He'll without any doubt see more playing time on an expansion team and we can expect his point totals to rise rapidly, especially if he gets some time on the power play.

Three players in for the New England side and I've only just realized that they only drafted 5 players. Not the 8 that I expected.

The penultimate player selected was taken 40th overall with a pick repeatedly traded between New England and Los Angeles; one I believe almost got Ace fired? Hennesey-Gallchobhar O'McGuinness (quite the mouthful to say) is a LD playing for the Maine Timber. Currently sitting at 227 TPE, good for 55th in his draft class, New England is reaching strongly to take him here. They must see something in him or had a discussion with him previously that warranted him being taken in the third when they might have been able to use a fourth. His stats in Maine were underwhelming with him only having one goal and one assist and even missing almost half the games in the season. He played a mixture of second and third line minutes, but unless he turns into a max earner next season, it doesn't look like he's going to be moving up in the depth chart anytime soon.

Finally the last player; Hubert Andrews who was traded after the draft to the Baltimore Platoon. He was selected with the very next pick, 41st overall and his TPE relative to his draft class puts him at 38th, so not too much variance there. Not a recreate (and he was traded hmm) and with a bank of $8.5 million once his contract is deposited this will be a high risk, high reward trade by BAP. His previous season in Anaheim was nothing special, finishing with 2 goals and 3 assists as a centre who didn't take any face-offs. He was given under 8 minutes of ice time a night and so it's too soon to make any kinds of judgements about what kind of player we can expect from him, but he does appear to consistently write media to keep the trainings and the coaching coming in.

And there you have it, I've secured the bag and don't have to write any more media until the next off-season.

Code:
2x Draft Media, WC: 1809 + research

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]