Create Account

An Interview with Anchorage draftee Michael Withecheck
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2020, 10:02 AM by Wearingabear.)

So we’re a few days after the draft, and after every draft we like to dive deep into one of our draftees on the Armada. We had a great to chance to talk it up the other day with Anchorage’s 3rd round pick (28th OA), Michael Withecheck. Withecheck was a fairly unknown guy leading up to this draft, but obviously had a few scouts check him out and must have had some good talks with the Armada’s scouting department and GM Max Brannagan. Michael is a large Austrian born Left Defenseman, standing 6’4 and weighing 230 pounds, a similar build to a few other blue liners on the Armada.

[Image: thomaspocktampabaylightningvnewyorkbwjhqctiqu-l.jpg]

Michael was the 3rd of 5 picks the Armada had that evening, taken after the russian born Petrov brothers in the 1st and 2nd rounds. 28th overall is nothing to scoff at, especially in a class full of well known prospects from across the world.

Michael had a very humble beginnings in his life, the town he grew up in, Freistadt, Austria, is only about 7,500 people and has a very small hockey community. As well, there aren’t a vast array of Austrian born NHL icons to look up to, so when somebody with his talent comes along, it’s because he grew up loving the game and finding a lifelong passion for it and had some great mentors along the way.

When asked about his childhood, he had this to say:

I was born and raised in Austria in a small village on a farm. On that farm we had a big pond. When I was younger, the winters were colder than what we get now. So the pond was frozen from mid November until around March every year. Ice tends to get kids onto a plan, and it didn‘t last long until I started playing around on the ice with my friends. At first it was just playing around and having fun. One year at Christmas, I got to find skates under the tree. Up to now I‘m not quite sure if my parents had them in store for me, or if it was destiny and a present from Santa Claus himself, that showed me how much more fun it can be to test the ice on skates. Over the time, the pond grew to small for me, so we had to think about something bigger.
As mentioned, I‘m from a small village, the next somewhat bigger town with an ice rink was about 15 min away by car. So not really easy to reach for a small boy. Public transport wasn‘t something you can rely on in the countryside, especially late in the evening. So I had to beg my parents for driving me there and pick me up again. It was tough to convince them that this is what I wanted to do, but they were grateful in the end, when they saw how much fun I had doing it.
Starting in the local ice hockey junior team, I made my first contact with ice hockey itself. Standing on skates and playing ice hockey are two completely different pair of shoes, as many will have experienced. I had troubles to learn to coordinate myself while trying to do something useful with my stick and chasing the puck all over the field. Due to my natural physicality – I was always bigger than others my age – I was a natural talent in checking others, especially when they were my age, hehe.
As I grew older, I switched to another team well known in my country and got a chance to improve there further. I also switched school and moved to a boarding home, to not having to bother my parents to get me training even further away. After some time there, scouts saw my talent and got me on the plan to try my luck in the SMJHL.

Growing up on the farm, he was made to work and help out, as many kids are, and obviously a lot of that physicality, work ethic, and pride came out in his playing style. Michael quickly outgrew his pond skating days, and joined a local hobby hockey club.

While the hobby hockey club was fun for Michael, a lot of players never had aspirations for anything more than that, neither did he. It wasn’t until a scout who represented the Black Wings Linz, recognized the raw talent that he had and realized that this was a special player that could be molded and formed into a great player for the Black Wings Linz. The scout approached Michael and offered him the chance to try out for the team.

Michael went home, talked it over with his family, knowing that this would be a big step for all of them, and a huge transition for the Withechecks. Michael is extremely lucky that his family was so supportive and wanted to help him see his dreams come to life, and that this was the only chance that he would have to prove that Ice Hockey was something he could do professionally and make a life out of.

During the try outs, Michael turned heads on and off the ice with his large frame, his stamina on the ice and his astute sense of what was happening on the ice around him at all times.

While the Black Wings Linz were primarily made of Austrian players, there are a few Canadian and Americans who once played in the NHL and AHL. They all had a great impact on his training on the ice and in the gym. He quickly learned that to compete at the highest levels, he needed to be in the top physical shape, so he started working with the team trainers and nutritionist to formulate a plan to up his athleticism.

His stature made him an easy fit on defense, where he was able to use his body to stop players from entering his own zone, and use his long reach to knock players off the puck. His eye for the game transformed once he started playing in the EBEL. He quickly became one of the smartest players on the ice.

His coach from the Black Wings Linz, Scott Sanke, spoke highly of the young defenseman:

Quote:“Coming in from the countryside, you know these kids can play a physical game. What surprised us when we took him on was his mentality and ability to read the game. For some one who didn’t grow up obsessing over video and watching replays on TV of classics, he picked up the game extremely quick. It came second nature to him to see a play develop, and stop the other team from entering our zone. At a certain point, I knew that he was going to outgrow our team and league, much like he did the pond he grew up skating on. Michael, under the right tutelage will continue to grow as a player and immediately be an asset for any team that drafts him in the SMJHL. “

We asked Michael what it was like playing away from home:
“The switch from my home town there was kind of rough, as there was the distance to my home, as I attended a boarding school there. But after a few weeks everything became a normal routine for me, and it felt like the right step I took from then on. The Black Wings are one of the top addresses in Austria, and helped me a lot to get into professional hockey.”

While playing for the Black Wingz Linz, he was able to put up great numbers as a defender, scoring 10 goals, 25 assists, 35 points total a +25 rating and putting up 70 hits on his last season there, where he played in all 55 games. He was a huge part of that team that eventually fell in the semi finals during the playoffs.

After his season ended, Michael got on a flight and headed out to the SMJHL draft. The draft is always an exciting, nerve wrecking, and slightly intimidating time for a look of prospects who are looking for their names to be called. This year, the atmosphere was even more amplified because the expansion draft had occurred the night before. With two more teams in the league, Withecheck could have ended up anywhere across North America.

When it came time for the draft, Withecheck brought his mother, Mia, and his father, Lukas, and his 4 sisters, Emma, Elsa, Emily, and Lou along with. During the draft, Michael was a bit isolated, being the only player from his team drafted, and only one of a few Austrians that declared for the draft that evening. However, having his family there helped to calm his nerves.

After a few days of the adrenaline running at all time highs, and media pictures, fittings, contract signings, and all of the fun programs that go into the draft had died down, we sat down with him and talked more about how his night went.

DSL: Michael, first and foremost, congratulations on making the team, it must be thrilling to have your family here with you to help celebrate this huge milestone in your career. Tell us, how was draft night for you?

MW
: Draft night was one of the most exciting experiences in my life. I wasn‘t really sure what I can expect from it, as I had some rough times pre draft and only a few teams came toward me and gave me the chance to introduce myself on a personal level in an interview. I had the feeling I left a good impression on the few teams that scouted me though. So it was a mixed feeling when draft night finally rolled along. I knew that there was some really high talent who were well known nationwide, and then there was me, a newby from another country trying to enter the big stage. I was quite chilled when the first two rounds passed, as I knew that this was out of reach for me. With the beginning of the third round, I kind of hoped to hear my name announced. This was absolutely the highest I would have thought to be drafted, so the real excitement started. I was very nervous. Things of what should happen if I get undrafted started before my eyes. Only a few moments I had time to think about it, getting positive again and vanish the thoughts. As I didn‘t have to wait long after the start of the third round, to get the best feeling ever. I was picked. At 28 already. I was picked. By the Anchorage Armada. I was picked. I‘m in the boat gang now!

DSL: When you heard your name being called, how did you feel?

MW:The feeling when I was picked was very special. At first I was just surprised. I mean, I hoped to get drafted there, but it was still a bit of a shock that it became reality. I was stunned, speechless, overwhelmed. Was this real? Was this the moment my dream became reality? I doubted my consciousness one moment before I realized that it was real. What an amazing moment in my life.

DSL: When you heard it was the Anchorage Armada, what thoughts ran through your head?

MW: Anchorage was one of the teams that interviewed me, so I had my hopes up they take a chance on me. I was happy that it was them, as the interview already gave me a very good feeling on the team. I mean I had a similar feeling after all my interviews, so I was glad one of those teams finally picked me. Then I tried to recalled what the interview was about, and remembered an outstanding locker room was mentioned. Goose bumps grew up my skin when I thought about joining such an amazing locker room soon. The excitement that comes when a new chapter with new people in your life begins rose up. I got an amazing pick in the draft, I got picked by an amazing team. I let this sink in a few moments and corroborated the intent to improve the best that I can to help my new team and become known in the league.

DSL:
What would you like to accomplish this season?

MW:
I don‘t have any expectations really for this season. I will let me surprise what comes towards me and lies ahead this season. I don‘t have any specific goals except improving the best I can and help my team whenever it needs me. I know I can learn a lot from my team, as there are many experienced and well known players on it. I‘d like to have a successful season, but that‘s nothing that just pops by and is on me. From what I saw and learned already from the team, is that there are many good and hungry players, working towards a successful season. And I‘m just about to join them in their attitude.

DSL:
What kind of player do you want to develop into?

MW: Definitely Balanced. And my GM will love me for saying that.

DSL: I know they will, i know the entire team is heavily focused on being balanced.

MW: In the end, I hope to become a really good defender, who knows how to shoot and create scoring opportunities that way. I want my teammates to know that there is someone they can rely on. If they take some risk, I want to be there and take a bit of that risk away as they know that there is still that one guy behind him. I want to become a player that opponents respect and think twice before they try to build their attack on that side. But this is something still far down the road. I have to work hard still to become just a little bit of what I hope to develop into.

DLS: Anybody in the current locker room that you look up to or have had good experiences with?

MW: The first person that comes to my mind is Acsolap, one of the GMs. We had such a nice scouting interview, that I immediately felt this team would be right for me. When I came into the locker room, everyone greeted me wholeheartedly, at least this was the impression I got when I entered. The GM didn‘t lie in the interview, this locker room is really amazing. I recognized some players with whom I already had some contact. It‘s hard to pick just one of the players out, as all were really nice to me and seemed to care about a new rookie just drafted to the Boat Gang.

DLS:
What does making it to the SHL mean to you?

MW: The SHL is the next big goal for me. I try to work as hard as I can to get there. But that‘s nothing that will come soon, much work has to be done down the road still to accomplish that goal. I will try to improve each day to come closer to the team. There is no need to rush it, I have to be ready for the big league when time comes. Now let‘s concentrate on winning some cups with the Armada!

DLS
: Well Michael, it sounds you had a memorable night, one that will be a special one for a long time. You put in a lot of work to make it this point, and you deserve all the fruits of your labor. Congratulations again on being drafted by the Anchorage Armada.

The next big question is where will Michael fit in on an Armada roster that is fairly stacked and just snuck into the playoffs last year.

We think that Withecheck will probably spend a fair amount of time on the 3rd line, most likely playing on his opposite side and paired up with 2nd year Armada, Igor Victory. Last year in a similar role, Victory played about 18 minutes a game. So it’s within reason to expect that we’ll see these two play paired together on the blue line.

That pairing will be a bone crushing one to watch, as they both are physically similar and play similar styles. It’s always hard for players to make the transition to the SMHJL, especially relatively unknown guys who come from Europe. So Michael may see his stats drop a bit, but what he does have is his drive and his passion. While the the ice may be smaller, and the play a bit faster, Withecheck already has the experience playing amongst grown men in the EBEL, where most of the North Americans are players who couldn’t quite cut it in the big leagues out here, but still wanted to play hockey.

There aren’t a lot of flaws when it comes to Michael Withecheck, but it’s up to him to put in the hard work that this league demands, especially if he wants to achieve his dreams and aspirations of making up to the SHL. We know the guys in the Armada locker room are all more than willing to help make sure he’s able to catch that dream.

Thank you Michael for your time, and again congratulations. Welcome to Anchorage!

-Dictated, not read by Dick S. Lapper.

2x draft media, split 50/50 with @sakrosankt
2890 words, ready for grading

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland