Create Account

Make Awards Ballots Public

I think my main issue with a simple tally is that the whole point of this is accountability and I don't see how just putting out numbers really enhances the accountability level.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

Why do voters need to be accountable? It isn't going to change how they vote is it? I understand wanting fairness in voting but if we are going to do that then we should decide on an algorithm to decide what decides a winner.

I think you can make it to where if a voter wants to reveal their votes then they can.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

At the BARE minimum we should have vote tallies at the end to at the very least see how close the voting was.

I personally can’t remember exactly who I voted for but if anyone feels slighted and would like to see my nom sheet, I’m happy to share.

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Rather than releasing every voter's ballot with (or without) their name attached, could we release vote totals alongside how many votes each player got at each rank (i.e., how many first-, second, third-placed votes, etc.). Gives a bit more info than just raw score, but keeps a bit more anonymity.

And then in addition to that, if voters are comfortable sharing their ballot, more power to them.

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.

07-27-2020, 12:47 AMteztify Wrote: Rather than releasing every voter's ballot with (or without) their name attached, could we release vote totals alongside how many votes each player got at each rank (i.e., how many first-, second, third-placed votes, etc.). Gives a bit more info than just raw score, but keeps a bit more anonymity.

And then in addition to that, if voters are comfortable sharing their ballot, more power to them.

This is what I'm in for the most. Let's face it, the most rational of us are prone to being a little saltier than we'd like to be when we feel like we or somebody we missed out on what we would believe to be deserving recognition. It's easy enough to lash out at the awards team but there's no reason for any of them to deserve anything like that.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 02:14 AM by Henrik.)

07-27-2020, 01:41 AMNhamlet Wrote:
07-27-2020, 12:47 AMteztify Wrote: Rather than releasing every voter's ballot with (or without) their name attached, could we release vote totals alongside how many votes each player got at each rank (i.e., how many first-, second, third-placed votes, etc.). Gives a bit more info than just raw score, but keeps a bit more anonymity.

This is what I'm in for the most. Let's face it, the most rational of us are prone to being a little saltier than we'd like to be when we feel like we or somebody we missed out on what we would believe to be deserving recognition. It's easy enough to lash out at the awards team but there's no reason for any of them to deserve anything like that.

Agreed. Id be fine with sharing my ballot if someone asked me about it but we all know that if they went public people would throw tantrums directly at other users (either at committee members or other users that may have ended up with more votes). At the end of the day, we have a huge amount of fantastic users and great players and we can't award them all. Sharing ballot votes I think is a great way of giving recognition to players that don't end up in the top 3.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Haven't we done this to an extent already a few times in recent years for the SHL Awards? It wasn't the final votes but we sometimes released peoples original ballots for the nominations process, and I wouldn't mind having that as a mainstay every season. It gives you a good feeling of the directions the different people on the committee leaned towards, without giving all the exact details on who put which player first or second.

This would be neat tbh

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

I don't think attaching committee members names to the votes is a good thing. It just gives people a target for their rage each season.
That being said a total score and a breakdown of votes, 1st, 2nd, 3rd) suggested earlier seems like a good common ground.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

No matter if we end up publishing ballots or not, if you guys have any questions regarding the Awards and how we ended up with the nominees/winners then just fire away in here or in the Awards Show thread. I'd be happy to answer and discuss them with you and I'd assume the same goes for some other members of the Awards Committee as well!

Happy to do this for SMJHL Awards. This week at work is insane (well, the next month really), but I will follow back and post this information in the thread as soon as I'm able @Duff101.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

make them hoes public

[Image: minadsslatt.png]

I like this idea