Create Account

IIHF Finals Recap

I think this will be my last post on this tournament, I just do not have the stamina to keep writing word after word for that cash but I have to knock this last one out.  The finals just wrapped up today with the two medal games being played.  All four teams fought hard and the final score of the bronze game doesn't reflect how close that game was until late in the third period.  Any way, enough jabbering, let us get into the games and recap the action.

In the bronze medal game, two teams on a hot streak faced off to see who would leave with some hardware and who would leave with nothing but their dashed hopes and dreams.  The game was very back and forth with the action and throughout the game you really never had a sense of who would ultimately come out on top.  The game was tied for a while there until Czechia finally managed to take the lead.  Once they did that with just a few minutes left in the third, the goalie got pulled and they managed to dump in two empty net goals to make it seem like a blowout.  I think the player on the team would agree that it was anything but that.  The Japanese team was a huge surprise in this tournament and can be extremely proud of their performance.

The main event is the gold medal game.  Canada and Great Britain are both very strong teams and ended up playing a very hard fought game.  The game was tied up and or within a goal the entire time with no team really establishing dominance in the game.  With a late goal in the third, Canada managed to take a three to two lead that they would not relinquish.  Winning the gold medal was always seen as the goal for Team Canada and they were able to see that through.  The team celebrated on the ice for long after the final buzzer with family and friends and then received their gold medals while their national anthem played.  Great Britain played an incredible tournament as well.  Not many had them as a contender for the gold medal and they came within a goal of accomplishing that.  The silver medal will feel like they came up short but when they reflect on the tournament, I think they will be happy with how it played out.  Once back in the locker room, Team Canada celebrated by showering each other in Molson while singing the anthem.

Overall it was a great tournament this year.  Some favorites made their mark and performed how they should have and we had some major upsets and surprises which has been a bit of a rarity in the new sim engine world.  I am already looking forward to next year as the teams who came up short will be looking to improve and knock off the champs.  Of course I forgot to click submit on this last week so I do not get double media but the money will still help.

Code:
515 Words

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

Japan namba wan

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]