Create Account

All-Star Week Revamp - the Media Presser (inquire inside, I guess)
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 05:45 PM by KlusteR.)

READY TO GRADE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUESTIONS AND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT!

Hello People! On behalf of @Leppish and I's moment of brilliance, I present to you - the new and improved All-Star Week! Not that we truly have one to speak off... Well! Now would be the perfect time to rectify that, right? Since we're keen on league growth overall with the sim engine change, why not use it to our advantage in order to integrate the newcomers into the sim league's live broadcasts?

The idea stemmed from a discussion we had about maybe making All-Star Week an "actual" thing, instead of just having the All-Star Committee pick the teams. What I'm currently suggesting would extend the season by a week, yes, but it would also allow us to spread the amount of TPE earned in a week. Instead of the humongous jump we see in players once the off-season is declared started, and the Championship Week claim comes in at the same time as the season is starting, which means Season Training/Equipment can now be purchased... that's a 42 TPE jump in and of itself for a decent earner in this league.

What the All-Star Week would do is smooth that tendency - allocating 6 TPE, in the middle of the season, for 2 written / graphics tasks of their choice (2 of each), allows us to withdraw said TPE from the CW - and also, the tremendous amount of tasks associated with Championship Week in and of itself. The off-season jump would still be a sizeable 38 TPE, but not as daunting to everyone involved in the updating process, from the Players to the Updaters, File Workers and Simmers.

Of course, we're still aiming to have fun and integrate the community into the event! We have a robust sim engine now, which I believe is capable of handling All-Star games in and of itself - not that we wish that, of course not! From Monday, once the All-Star Team is posted on the forums, to Friday at 11:59PM, you would have the opportunity to vote for the captain of each Conference's All-Star Team via the All-Star Week written / graphics tasks, and explain the rationale for why this player you are nominating is above and beyond everyone else in their field, or why you look up to them as a captain and he's an amazing representative for your team - any way you want it, it's your PT! And of course, for the additional two TPE for the week, you can place your TPE bets on which Conference wins the ASG, and who's the MVP of the game - as chosen by your All-Star Committee themselves, live! Let's be honest - this is a great way of celebrating the league's elite players, but we also would like to see representation from each and every 16 teams in the league. I think the Barracuda showed us all today that there's no easy prey in the SHL..!

But KlusteR, you're gonna tell me, aren't we keeping our younger players behind..? That's where we come in. Introducing - the Sophomore Showdown. An All-Star Game dedicated to the SHL's eilte youth. Only eligible to 2nd year players and rookies, this game also bids each Conference's best prospects one against the other - what better way to showcase them!? Of course, that would mean the SHL PT would also include a possibility of voting for captaincy for both Sophomore Showdown teams and explain their rationale for their picks, as well as vote for the outcome of the game in the "TPE bets" section - giving each vote 0.5 TPE! I mean, it basically writes itself at that point.

KLUSTER! YOU'RE FORGETTING THE SMJHL!

Why would I ever!? They also have their All-Star Committee, which already provides them with their teams - and from what I've seen, a lot of representation throughout that league as well! Well, they may need to include the two new teams in there - wouldn't want Nevada or Québec City to be left stranded, now, wouldn't we? Again - this is meant as a fun event, where players can simply shoot the shit, in the middle of the regular season, to see which Conference is better than the other. To me, I feel like this is harmless banter, and would help solidify the bonds between teammates, and the friendly rivalries that will blossom from the SMJHL expansion. The SMJHL chat is already quite lively for live broadcasts, and I'd personally love to see it in action in an All-Star Game. Imagine a world where the Kraken, Berserkers, Falcons and Scarecrows have to coexist (yeesh)... and not only that, but also support the Timber and Citadelles players in there. It could be pretty interesting, if you ask me!

Again, the PT tasks would hover around the selection of captains for the game, as well as the result of the game. I know the CW is a bit lower on the SMJHL side, which is why I personally wouldn't do a Rookie version of the ASG... but that does seem like a waste, doesn't it? It's right there for the taking! So what I'm suggesting is excluding the results of the Rookie game from the "TPE bid" section for the SMJHL's ASG. It's a quick and simple fix, and that would mean 4 TPE in the middle of the season for rookies, and still a whopping 8 (instead of 12) at the end of the season.

So... what says you?

Interview Questions! Interview

Quote:I think this is totally doable via fhm

That was my thought as well. Might as well lean into the whole "the league is a live broadcast league now" angle we've been edging towards in the past seasons. Not that it's bad - it just means we may need to adapt our schedule for such!

Quote:Imagine a world where the Kraken, Berserkers, Falcons and Scarecrows have to coexist
Quote:Dibs on jaja ding dong to be the official goal horn for that team

42069% approved. Congrats on the Simmer job for the SMJHL All-Star Game!

Quote:You had me at shortened CW

That's the best part.

Quote:Can I make the teams as a goon? Can I be fan voted in?

That's actually something we may want to look into instead of just voting captains... Good suggestion there JPB! Not the goon part though. No gooning up the ASG eh?!

Quote:I like the idea of redistributing TPE from the off-season / championship week a lot. Community voted captains are a great idea. and the Sophomore game is too. biggest hurdle to the whole thing is extending the season imo

I feel like having 5 seasons per calendar year, instead of 6, is a good enough trade-off for more league engagement in the long run. But I definitely get where you're coming from.

Quote:I personally don't think taking a full week off from sims and extending the season by a week is the best way to go about this, but I do think this is something that could be done in parallel, alongside the regular season. For my part, I'd be happy to make the PTs in the third week of a season all-star themed, with game predictions and an extra task that can come out of that season's CW. If someone is willing to get teams selected and create all the players in FHM and sim the game, no harm in trying it out for a season to see how it goes!

The way I see it right now, is we have 4 weeks of regular season, 2 weeks of playoffs, and 3 weeks of off-season. If season length is really an issue, we can always slot the All-Star Week during one of the off-season weeks, preferably before the draft. That's something Leppy and I also discussed last night, don't worry!

But now that I think of it, it could be slotted right after the conclusion of IIHF... Since the predictions will have been submitted long before the end of it. That's also a possibility to explore with HO.

Quote:I think this is a super interesting concept. It would definitely be worth talking about ideas etc with you and PT division and HO to see what people think and how we could mold this into something ideal for the league

Thanks Flow! I hope you and the rest of the ASC won't mind the bigger burden... I'm willing to share, if needed!

(1450 words - please split the payment 50/50 between @Leppish and I.)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 07:24 PM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

I like this, CW always feels like a chore and a lot of people wait til the last day. Moving some of it to create an all-star thing sounds like a great idea.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

07-27-2020, 07:24 PMスウェグキング Wrote: I like this, CW always feels like a chore and a lot of people wait til the last day. Moving some of it to create an all-star thing sounds like a great idea.
Thanks Sweg! :D

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

I hope we can get traction on this! I would love to add fun stuff like this to the site and it brings more of the real pro hockey feel instead of just having basically meaningless All stars.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

I think this is totally doable via fhm

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Quote:Imagine a world where the Kraken, Berserkers, Falcons and Scarecrows have to coexist

Dibs on jaja ding dong to be the official goal horn for that team

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

You had me at shortened CW

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

Can I make the teams as a goon? Can I be fan voted in?

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 08:07 PM by KlusteR.)

07-27-2020, 07:47 PMbluesfan55 Wrote: I think this is totally doable via fhm
That was my thought as well. Might as well lean into the whole "the league is a live broadcast league now" angle we've been edging towards in the past seasons. Not that it's bad - it just means we may need to adapt our schedule for such ^_^

07-27-2020, 07:49 PMKalakar Wrote:

Dibs on jaja ding dong to be the official goal horn for that team
42069% approved. Congrats on the Simmer job for the SMJHL All-Star Game! kekW

07-27-2020, 07:55 PMDuff101 Wrote: You had me at shortened CW
That's the best part.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 08:05 PM by KlusteR.)

07-27-2020, 07:59 PMNokazoa Wrote: Can I make the teams as a goon? Can I be fan voted in?
That's actually something we may want to look into instead of just voting captains... Good suggestion there JPB! Not the goon part though. No gooning up the ASG eh?!

Support this idea a lot, brings more legitimacy to the all-star game and also helps spread out TPE more every season. Good suggestion!

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

07-27-2020, 08:26 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: Support this idea a lot, brings more legitimacy to the all-star game and also helps spread out TPE more every season. Good suggestion!
Thanks Gabe! Means a lot from the guy in charge of PTs in the SMJHL :D

Interesting and fun idea!

Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]
[Image: AceIn603.gif]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother