Create Account

Western Conference Draft Destination Breakdown
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2020, 10:38 AM by Andy.)

So I am glad that people enjoyed the first installment of the breakdown of where it would be ideal for Tanjiro to go but I also realized that these are actually a good outline for where any defenseman could go and not just Tanjiro. I hope these are helpful for anyone who reads them.

Calgary Dragons: Dragons

Prospect Pool:

This is not a very deep prospect pool in terms of number of players. However in terms of quality it is rather high having both Wally as well as the return of the Scherblucks. There entire prospect pool is capped or most likely will be capped by the end of the season including both defenseman that they have in their prospect pool.

Roster:

Calgary as a whole has a fairly older roster as a big surprise with many teams currently being younger. However many of their players will be able to fight regression including having Mike Izzy who is in his 20th season and is still above 1k TPE. There defense in terms of depth is very similar to a lot of rosters with having multiple good defensive player including all five of their top defenseman having over 1k TPE. While the timing for Kamado could work out in terms of being ready to play in the SHL it is also possible that the beginning of regression would allow them to fight it deep into Kamado's career and bury him at the bottom of the roster.

Personal Notes:

This is a franchise I always wanted to play for regardless if it was Ofer as the GM or now Izzy and Steal head. I think it is an incredibly run franchise including being one of the top franchises this season at least according to Hockey Talk Tonight. While this would be a great team to join it would stink to be at the bottom of the roster for a while.

Edmonton Blizzard: Blizzard

Prospect Pool:

Going back to the idea of a deeper prospect pool is the Blizzard. The Blizzard have a prospect pool that is 11 players deep. Out of those 11 players they do have 3 defenseman. Out of those players, two of them are capped and will definitely be stronger player as they develop. Beyond that in terms of older members I do not recognize most of them but that does not mean that they are not great locker room guys. Also their top prospect is sitting at 743 TPE currently while playing in the SMJHL.

Roster:

The roster is a complete 180 in terms of the players who are on it. Currently my SMJHL @Nokazoa is one of their defenseman on a loaded blue line. Out of their 6 defenseman the lowest is 1.1k TPE and that is a player who is almost at 20 seasons. They have a deep defensive core with a good combination of players in their prime with some older defenseman. This a roster that is definitely in a compete now mode with with their 7-2 record currently to show for it.

Personal Notes:

This franchise won me my first ever cup and is somewhere that holds a special place in my heart from my time as a senior in college. I think this a team that was set up for success a long time ago when they won multiple cups and their GM's regardless of who they've been over the years. I think this would be a great place to go but like Calgary would be a place where my butt would ride the pine tarr or be stuck in SMJHL till I die.

Los Angeles Panthers: Panthers

Prospect Pool:Right now their prospect pool is not very deep at only having five players. However Wasty's new player will be auto'd to this team and so they get another first round pick besides their current GM. Also although they only have one defensive prospect, that prospect has made good players throughout his tenure in the SHL and is someone that can be counted on to add quality to a team.

Roster:

This shows where the depth of the team is lacking. As this team is in a bit of a rebuild/ retool. This team is actually in a decent place where they have a group of players who are about to come in their prime including when they get Wasty's next player in the SHL. What will be scary for this team will be the loss of Buster to free agency as he posted earlier about. For them it is not a terrible loss as they are still a few seasons from pure competition and his player may be in regression when their young core actually hit their prime

Personal Notes:

This is a cool team to be and to some extent is a team that everyone should experience once, or at least a get a signature from their current GM. Peep mine that rotate in below. They are lead by members who have been here a long time and know how to retool their team and have been able to for the most part avoid a full rebuild.

Minnesota Chiefs: Chiefs

Prospect Pool:

What a deep defensive pool. While most teams have had three or four defensive prospects. The Chiefs have a grand total of 6. Not only do they have six defenseman in the pipeline but every single one of them is capped and has a TPE total over being Capped. Their lowest prospect in terms of TPE is also their oldest and they still have 374 TPE.

Roster:

The roster is where the Chiefs get in trouble and are definitely weaker on the blueline. Although their prospect is strong, they only have one defenseman who is over 1k TPE. This roster while definitely rebuilding and fairly strong up front is fairly weak in back. I do believe that while weak defensively on the roster, it does not tell the tale of the team long term.

Personal Notes:

This is the team that I got a cup as a GM and it was a very cool experience to win a cup in the front office. However my retired player is on this team but I was not invited to their Locker Room so I have no idea what it is like there. I know that they have had turn over in terms of leadership but I believe that they may have found a formula for success moving forward.

New Orleans Specters: Specters

Prospect Pool:

This is a small prospect pool with a total of four players. Out of these four they have two defenseman both of which are capped and beyond and could eventually be ready to go as they develop.

(Late add) JK's player will also be auto'd to this team instantly bolstering the depth of the prospect pool

Roster:

This is a very interesting roster with 6 players who are over 1k TPE (Going to think Darnell Johnson will break 1K TPE this season before regression) In terms of depth on the blue line they are very deep and their two defenseman who are in regression will be able to fight off regression, with Blastmeaway's player retiring first and having a one of their two prosepcts filling his spot and well as Rex Kirby eventually replaced with one of their prospects.

Personal Notes:

While they are no longer the Riot, NOLA is definitely a cool team. Having JK and TDZ as GM's is a good group and it definitely shows how strong they will be including JK's new player who they will get for free. It will be exciting to see this team this season as they move forward.

San Francisco Pride: pride

Prospect Pool:

Their prospect pool is not very bad being nine players deep. However in terms of defenseman they are fairly weak as only one of their players are capped and the other two are at 300 or lower. Having Rancid is interesting where they have two quality goalkeepers already and it will be an interesting development with their team as they move forward.

Roster:

The roster is something that is very interesting as I learned that they were in Salary Cap trouble I believe from Hockey Night Live which makes why the moves that were made make so much more sense. Defense is a place where they need help with having Tweedle's player being the only 1K defender. However their young defenseman Alex Petrenko could be a huge help as he looks to hit the 1K TPE mark this season in his development.

Personal Notes:

First I want to say that Daft got handed a shitty situation and had to fix it the best that he can as fast as he could to have a legal roster so no pressure or blame is on you. Secondly it will be interesting to see what happens in terms of GM's from the HO and what they decide to do or if the GM is still Daft. It's possible that the GM could be daft or it could be someone who has an entire culture change of SFP. They're a team that is in change and possibly could look completely different as we get closer to the draft.

Texas Renegades: Renegades

Prospect Pool:

The Renegades have an above average prospect pool with a total of 10 players. Definitely a name that stands out to me is that they have Rancid who could be a star as they move forward like he was with his laster player/s. Besides him, they have a fairly strong pool of recreates who can put it together as well as some strong prospects. It is interesting to note that they only have defenseman prospect.

Roster:

This is a roster that is going to lose big when ztevans player is officially gone as losing a 1.2k TPE defenseman. However with having Rabid in the pipeline and some developing defenseman they are not in a bad place at all on the blue line. In terms of developing they will most likely gain a 1k TPE defenseman when Scianna hits 1k this season. With his development they would then have a core of 4 1k TPE defenseman and with the addition of Rancid will eventually have 5 sooner rather than later.

Personal Notes:

The Renegades seem to follow the ready to compete we have most of our defenseman trend that has been fairly consistent throughout the Western conference. While being a Renegade or mid S20 renegod would be cool, I don't know necessarily how much playing time/ when/ if will be possible to break through on to their roster. Also as a fun side note, when I was going through old SHL messages apparently at one point we were trying to trade for @dankoa so clearly me and @Baelor Swift had good taste as he is someone who would later become a GM.

Winnipeg Jets: Jets

Prospect Pool:

Its funny that although this a small prospect pool, having the great Bojo having a player in your pool makes it look so much better. As a S54 he may have a bit less but being at almost 500 TPE puts him above the average in his class even though he may not be at the top. He is someone who is an excellent locker room presence and makes good players including his experience of having good defenseman and a SMJHL award named after him.

Roster:

This is a team that is a little bit weaker in the blue line but may be stronger up front which is different than the other SMJHL teams. They only currently have 4 out of their Top 6 defenseman over 1K TPE. However three of those four are nowhere near regression so kudo's to Kez to build a young core that is clearly starting to hit its stride now and is only missing a few pieces to completely change the narrative.

Personal Notes:

Noting against Muerto but it still at times is weird to see it WIN being run by someone that is not Leaves. However to have someone who has so much history in the league running the team makes it feel almost the same. This is a team that I would be curious to see develop as their GM has put together a good roster and has core that is hitting their stride with having multiple players who are round 5 seasons away from development. This would be a cool place to go to be a finishing piece to their team.

Code:
2.1k words

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

Nice read!

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Small correction, the Seattle Riot became the Tampa Bay Barracuda. New Orleans is an expansion team added in S46.

Otherwise, very good follow-up to your first article!

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

07-31-2020, 04:46 AMCapt_Blitzkrieg Wrote: Small correction, the Seattle Riot became the Tampa Bay Barracuda. New Orleans is an expansion team added in S46.

Otherwise, very good follow-up to your first article!

Edited Smile thank you!

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]