Create Account

(AMA) New SFP General Manager & 1 Year SHL Anniversary, Ask me Anything!
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020, 03:06 PM by Henrik.)

Hey everyone!

I was planning on doing an AMA on my one year anniversary (29th of Juli) on this site to mark the occasion. All of a sudden I also find myself at the head of an SHL team, something that has been one of my goals on this site for a long time.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with me, I'm Thatguy91. Henrik Lekberg Osterman is my first ever player and the SHL is my first ever sim league. I was drafted 52nd overall in my junior draft to the Colorado Raptors where I spent the entirety of my junior career. We manged to make it to the four star cup finals one time during my four seasons with the team, ultimately falling short to the Carolina Kraken. HLO managed to climb all the way up to 3rd overall for his SHL draft and was picked up by the San Francisco Pride and is currently playing in the third season for the Pride. He has also managed to win a WJC Bronze medal, a WJC Silver medal and an IIHF Silver medal with Team Sweden.

I know there are a lot of questions regarding the team and the rebuild, and likely what our future plans look like so go ahead and ask away! It can be related to SFP, to my GMing philosophy, to Henrik Lekberg Osterman, maybe your wondering what I think about pineapple on pizza? Or what I think about pickled herring?

So go right ahead, ask away!

***First Update***

Why is S50 so good? @ACapitalChicago

I wish I knew man, I wish I knew. Clearly the best class ever. Slowly taking over the league both on and off the ice!

Seriously though, its a really great group. In hindsight I really wish I was more active on discord that first season or two. I came in kinda late into the room and really wasnt all that active. If things keep going the way they have been I wouldnt be surprised if S50 ends up as one of the better drafts in SHL history. Proud to be a part of that group.

In terms of the GM role.. what makes you thatguy? @Mike Izzy

Mostly the name I’d think. A lot goes into a name you know. Lets dive in a little deeper… The name does imply that I am the specific individual, but the specific individual for what? Well… Anything! But in this case, it’s for the role of the GM. What is perhaps more interesting is the first name Henrik, both my first name and that of my player. The name itself means Ruler or Lord of the house which is very fitting in this particular instance I think.

On a more serious note, I think putting my name out there as often as I have been for a GM position really helped. I came from inside the team so there was no need for a new face to step into the locker room, even though the team at this point is mostly made up of inactive players it can still be challenging to come into a new environment in that position. I think I had some very realistic goals for the team and my general outlook on building a team from the LR up fit well into what HO was looking for I think, someone to step in and stabilize and work slowly but surely to build a future contender focused on the community aspect and developing from within instead of being focused on gaming. I’ve been lucky enough to have met some great users during my short time in this league and having that net of veterans that have been there that I can rely on for advice really helps as well I believe.

After a year spent on-site, what would you say is your best memory in the SHL/SMJHL? @KlusteR

That’s a tough one. There are a lot of really great ones. Going on that run to the finals with the Raptors in the J was a ton of fun. That locker room was (and is) absolutely fantastic  and we were a real tight knit group so that was really enjoyable. Winning the Onoprienko was also a real honor. HLO was never going to be a top scoring player but to be recognized for the work you do both on and off the ice is always very rewarding. Being taking 3rd OA in my SHL draft was also very rewarding. I was expecting to go early in the second, maybe late first so to have a team value my that highly in such a stacked draft was definitely exciting for me and a great memory (plus it was fairly early so I could actually follow the draft live even though I live in Europe!)

I think the biggest thing for me though was when I made a bid for the last SMJHL expansion, I believe this was during my third season. At first I wasnt sure that I should apply, but the last day that the applications were open I threw an application together and sent it in. I received some really good feedback and ultimately just lost out on being awarded a team but I was picked by one of the winners as a Co-GM. Even though it never ended up happening, that really lit a fire under me and gave me the confidence to keep applying for these kinds of jobs.

Relocation? @'JAJA SWEG DINGDONG'

It did cross my mind when I applied for the position. I knew some people wanted to move the team if they were to get the job but I felt that the team had been shaken around enough from the whole episode that led up to the position being available. I think San Francisco is a great city for a team to be located in and I like the current brand so I was happy to keep it.  Although it would be kind of neat to have a team over in Europe...

If you could change one pick the previous GM made in any draft since yours, what would it be? @lespoils

This is a tough one. I’d be tempted to say the pick they used on me since there was such an abundance of great players in the S50 draft but that would be a little unfair and quite a boring answer. I think the one that really stands out to me is picking up Esso’s player Simothy Drunkbird. At the time it felt right and having shared an LR with Esso I know he’s the kind of guy you want on your team but unfortunately it just didn’t pan out and Drunkbird ended up being waived earlier this season. With perfect 20/20 hindsight I would probably go with one of the other top guys in that draft although given the opportunity I would definitely draft Esso again myself. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss I guess.

***Second Update***

Having applied and received the GM spot for SFP, and now expansion being announced do you feel like you might have missed an opportunity for your own new creation, or is that a moot point and you’re ready to take SFP to new heights? @Geekusoid

Honestly, while I relish the thought of getting to put my own stamp on the league and being the first GM of a new team it is a lot of work and a lot of creative work that I think others can do a lot better of a job than I can if I’m being frank. I applied for the SMJHL Expansion GM job back in S52(?) and while I didn’t get the job I was selected to be Co if the expansion was to go through and watching the amount of effort and love that went into that before there even was a guarantee of an expansion was pretty impressive. So short answer, I would love to but I think there are others in this site that would do a much better job of it. Maybe in the future, who knows?! I am really excited to get the chance to turn SFP around and make my mark on the franchise and overall I would much rather take over an existing team than start a brand new one at this point of my SHL career.

What do you expect to be the hardest part of building the Pride back up? Anything already in motion? @overdoo

I was thinking the hardest part would be retaining players considering all the drama that went down and the obvious rebuild after giving up picks for Kryyst but I’ve had some great conversations with the guys in our LR and I think things are looking very bright for us as long as we can do our due diligence and do well in the draft. We are working hard to build up a great locker room culture as well which we feel will be key for our success in the future. Busy times but also pleasantly surprised about the support I’ve gotten both from inside our organisation and from other users that I’ve had dealings with earlier.

I think the hardest part will be attracting free agents. We are hoping to snag one or two big names once we get our core up and running but getting people to come into a new LR is never an easy thing. Although we are working hard on creating an environment that we hope will be attractive for our fellow SHL users.

Who is your pick for the SHL/SMJHL Championships this season? @overdoo

For the SHL I think there are five teams that really stand a chance at winning the cup this season. Out of the west, I’d say its NOLA, EDM and CGY. Out of the east its BUF and MAN. Manhattan, Edmonton and Calgary are all great teams and they have that depth on all positions. I feel like Manhattan has been underperforming a little so they may spike towards the end of the season. Edmonton's forward core is bonkers and they could definitely go on a run. Calgary is just a well balanced, high level team that should not be underestimated. The two teams that really stand out to me as the top contenders though are New Orleans and Buffalo. I have New Orleans winning the presidents trophy and Buffalo was really the only team I thought could give them a run for their money. If I had to pick I’d put my money on New Orleans repeating.

As far as the SMJHL goes, I haven't done as much ‘research’ but I think Newfoundland have a fantastic roster so I have I’d have to go with them as my favourites but I’d never count out Kelowna or Carolina. Both of those teams have great rosters and good leadership and they have proven themselves to be very competitive in the past.

what do you think about pickled herring on pizza? @tweedledunn

Oh dude, now you are giving me ideas. I think I’ll have to try it. I think having that salty and tangy flavour from the pickled herring would go great with pizza. Would just have to think of something that goes well with it. Maybe lemon… or pineapple. Maybe on a white pizza….. To be continued!

Congratulations on the job! Thoughts on expansion? @hockeyiscool

Thanks bud! I’m looking forward to it! I’m really excited that the league is doing well and that we are retaining enough players to warrant another expansion. An increase in the number of teams helps with league parity I think which can be troublesome at times, althought I wouldnt say we have any issues with that right now. The timing is really good as well I think as it will help the rebuilding teams to get competitive quicker. Atleast in my mind. Some of the better teams have amazing prospect pools and with the possibility of them losing future assets for nothing it wouldnt surprise me to see rebuilding teams make some moves. Should be very exciting and I think the two expansion teams should come into the league as fairly competitive clubs.

How did you feel when you found out you got the job? @StamkosFan

A whole mix of feelings. I figured I might be one of the front runners just because of my player being already with the team and I’ve been applying for GM jobs for a long time now on the site but I actually didn’t think I would end up getting it. So I was surprised but very happy and eager. There was also a bit of trepidation and some tension about the whole thing. This is obviously all new to me and there was a lot to take in. I want to do a good job and make this team into something special but not really knowing the ropes can really mount up the pressure but I’m lucky enough to have met some great users on this site and a few of them reached out to congratulate me and give me some much needed advice which I really appreciated. Right now, after roughly 10 days I feel much better about the whole thing. I feel fairly comfortable and I think the plan that I have going forward feels achievable.

Is it only a year? It felt way longer as that already lol @OrbitingDeath

I know! I was just thinking that as well! Feels like a lifetime ago we shared a line in Colorado. Quarantine is messing with my perception of time.

Reports say that you'll have Daft staying as your Co-GM. How do you think this will help you in terms of getting used to your new role as GM? Also, congrats. @ProjectSaint

That is correct! Daft agreed to stay on as Co with me, which I am really happy about. I think he’s done a great job with the team and we all thought that he would be the guy who would take over after Grape but things happen and here we are. I felt like it was important to have someone who was familiar with the team and its assets when our situation was so volatile and seeing the moves he made as interim it was clear to me that he had the same plan as me for the future of the team. I really can’t say enough good things about the management group in SFP. They have been a huge help to me over the last ten days in getting caught up with everything. And thanks!

How did the interim Gm's moves effect your GM actions?  - Anonymous user

Not really all that much to be completely honest. I knew we were heading into a rebuild after the team made that run to the finals a few seasons back. Aging core and a couple of retiring players made it fairly clear to me that it was a last hurrah. I was expecting us to sell and start a rebuild before grape left so the moves daft made fell in line with what I was expecting as a player and what I was planning on doing as a GM anyway. I feel like the moves that Daft made got us some great return and really made it easier for me to get settled in and get a plan sorted for the future. I don’t know that I would have been able to get the same return so I am grateful that he was able to do what he did before I stepped in.

2125 words in answered questions +250 words in introduction, excluding questions. Ready to be graded

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Why is S50 so good?

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

In terms of the GM role.. what makes you thatguy?

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

After a year spent on-site, what would you say is your best memory in the SHL/SMJHL?

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

Interview Relocation?

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

If you could change one pick the previous GM made in any draft since yours, what would it be?

[Image: lespoils.gif]

Having applied and received the GM spot for SFP, and now expansion being announced do you feel like you might have missed an opportunity for your own new creation, or is that a moot point and you’re ready to take SFP to new heights?

What do you expect to be the hardest part of building the Pride back up? Anything already in motion?

Who is your pick for the SHL/SMJHL Championships this season?

what do you think about pickled herring on pizza?

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2020, 11:31 PM by hockeyiscool.)

Congratulations on the job! Thoughts on expansion?

How did you feel when you found out you got the job?

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

First couple of questions answered!

Is it only a year? It felt way longer as that already lol

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Reports say that you'll have Daft staying as your Co-GM. How do you think this will help you in terms of getting used to your new role as GM? Also, congrats.

[Image: ProjectSaint.gif]
Sig Credit: Flappy (EVO) and Skolpaddor (RESO)

EMEKA VALENTINE-OKOLI/PLAYER

First SMJHL Goal: Colorado Raptors, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Mikelis Ozoliņš 4, Loki Odinsson 3) at 3:12, 2nd Period (GWG) / SMJHL S47 Game 47 Day 12: Colorado Raptors vs Detroit Falcons
First SHL Goal: Texas Renegades, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Josef Kubinec 5, Ricky Spanish 4) at 16:23, 2nd Period / SHL S51 Game 71 Day 16: Edmonton Blizzard vs Texas Renegades

Eternal RaptorsRaptors Old, onwards we roll Rage

And Let's Retire at the Pinnacle

Updated and ready to be graded.