Create Account

Yoshi's Thoughts on: Expansions

Hey, guys. So, I actually have an additional WJC post that I plan to drop later this week (but I'm still working on it) and another chapter of the (league-simulation/me fucking around on FHM 5) SHLight Zone that has essentially come to a halt thanks to a random FHM crash... which is something you should be aware of if you try running a simulation of your own, even after all these editions, it's still a bit finicky. Anyhow, I feel like it is a pretty solid moment to have a chat about some noteworthy topics. I will try to make it a bit fun but feel free to inform me if you think I'm full of it or something.

So, as you must be aware of (given how it's a pretty hot topic), the league is planning on adding two new teams right after the addition of the Citadelles and the Battleborn on the juniors. I've seen some comments about the subject, made sure to read it in my spare time between figuring out uni stuff and working on other things and I do believe most of them range from either being pretty interesting but not something I agree with to ideas that are also very interesting and that I do agree heavily with. First of all, having those two teams be in some unique places instead of the "usual suspects" like Pittsburgh or Montréal is nice and I do think that it could honestly work well.

I did also read another one (from efiug, I believe), that we should consider sending an expansion to somewhere the league was in the past. That would be pretty solid in some cases, like Seattle or Portland, which are very good places to put a hockey team on and, with all due respect, I'm pretty sure we can do better than the Kraken who started decently as far as identity goes but sort of weakened by the hour as a result of making people wait for quite a while just to reveal what's ostensibly a mean-looking letter S. For the record, I don't think that's bad, but... yeah, of all the new brands and images of the new decade, this was closer to Juventus' little "logo crest" than being closer to something good, which isn't a good sign.

I will also mention Southie bringing up the tale of the Saskatoon Blues, that time the team from St. Louis almost ended up at Saskatchewan due to financial reasons and ownership being rather terrible. In the end, however, the Blues ended up staying at the United States and... well, we do have the Winnipeg Jets (which I assume were named after the first Winnipeg Jets and before the second Winnipeg Jets showed up so that our Jets, which is the team I currently play for, are actually older than their Jets... Jets) so I'm all for reviving old bankrupt teams in an effort to show they could be done better than what they were back in their days. In fact, I actually explored the idea in my sim series with plenty of the teams involved there being named after departed WHA teams (Cincinnati Stingers, Birmingham Bulls, Ottawa Nationals, Quebec Nordiques...), so I totally agree that we should dabble in old team names just for the hell of it. Might not be exactly all that original, but I feel like it's a fun choice.

Now, if I had to choose places, I feel my favourites would definitively be Honolulu in Hawaii and Richmond in Virginia. Not like there's any particular reason for Richmond, besides that place already having been the home of the Flying Squirrels, which is one of those baseball team names that I like but I actually do have an excuse for Honolulu, which is... well, it's Honolulu. I'm aware that people abroad consider Honolulu this pretty nice vacation place which is a fair thought if you're not from a region with beaches and usually warm weather. So... uh... yeah, not my case, but that's still better sounding than Rio itself and I feel like it's a possibility that could be worked with. That and I don't think we could place teams in Europe. Maybe Greenland, I guess?

In the end, though, I would be fine with anything that looks nice and sounds solid. I feel it's nice and cozy to square off against teams with cool names and logos, which is something I believe we currently have for a while now and could keep going even after the expansion if everything is done just right. That said, don't mind me on this whole thing, really: to whoever gets the opportunity to run the expansion teams, I wish you the best on such a hard job as a polite challenger.

That said, if anyone is going with Pittsburgh, I got a Headbangers set pretty much made for it, feel free to contact me if it sounds fun to take a look at it or something, no questions asked, no fee required.

Guess that's it for the night. Gotta go get some sleep and I think I've already wrote a lot about the subject. Hope it was a fun read and I apologize beforehand if not, tried my best and all.

Quote:Word count: 903

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

Ilike

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria