Create Account

Which Bottom Four Team Has The Best Future? - An In Depth Examination of Young Talent

I’ve decided to compile a list of the bottom four SHL teams prospect pools, and respectively compare each. Each of these teams are currently below a .355% in the standings. In other words, the Platoon, Barracuda, North Stars and the Chiefs are all but guaranteed to miss the playoffs.

I’ve separated the player categories into Prospect Pool (S54-S55 players who haven’t been called up to the SHL) and young callups (S52-S53 players who have been called up to the SHL, or are capable of playing the SHL but haven’t been called up).
There has been some buzz around the league about Tampa’s very bright future.

There has been speculation that the Platoon have NO future. The Chiefs have previously polarized the SHL with their trading methods. Toronto is often overlooked, because they happen to be 'not as horrible' as Tampa. So, the question remains: Whose future looks brightest? Who is absolutely doomed?

BALTIMORE PLATOON: 8-15-1 (6th in the East)

Valentin Kaleshnikov, former SMJHL allstar, is the most senior player still not called up to the show [S52]– Obviously the Platoon are looking at longevity with their development, as the young Defenseman has gathered 760 TPE thus far –He remains in the SMJHL, accompanied by Ethan Duncan of the Kelowna Knights. Duncan, an S53 Prospect, is two TPE away from 800 and has been posting great numbers in the J.

Duncan and Kaleshnikov could easily grab a roster spot on the Platoon, but I believe their GM is making the correct move in allowing development in the SMJHL. Let’s face it, the Platoon are not making the playoffs, which is unfortunate, especially since they’ve dealt their S55 1st, which would come in handy given that they may be able to win the lottery. I guess we can throw another ball in there for Tampa Bay. Despite the lack of a 1st round pick, I think selling some depth guys for some mid-round picks may be the best option for Baltimore at this time. This upcoming draft is incredibly deep, and the Platoon are without many picks, including their first.

The Platoon must focus on what’s next: A) Get the vets to mobilize the young guns and prospects or B) Burn it all down – trade your best players for promising prospects, ideally to a team desperate to cash in on a short Challenge Cup window. I am no GM, but of all of the young struggling teams, the Platoon is the most intriguing. I am honestly unsure of where they go next. The rebuild will not be an easy task. They need to pick a direction and stick with it.

YOUNG GUNS / CALLUPS:

D *SMJHL* [S52] Valentin Kalsehnikov (760) @suavemente
D [S52] Sabo Tage (808) @Glyc
C [S52] Simothy Drunkebird (594) @Esso2264

C *SMJHL* [S53] Ethan Duncan (798) @mastersheep 

PROSPECT POOL:

C [S54] Patrick Shepherd (488) @Cobbenstein
G [S54] Leo Bloomfield (365) @BloomeyGB

RW [S55] Young Logo (356) @Loganjj21
C [S55] Lord Raiden (402) @Jumbobone19
C [S55] Daniil Nikiforov (411) @DELIRIVM
LD [S55] Teddy Park (417) @trashae
C [S55] Hubert Andres (366) @hughesab

TORONTO NORTH STARS 3-20-0 (7th in the East)
Toronto’s prospect pool is headlined by Mr. Brick Wall himself, Scoochie Stratton – Currently posting a 12-2-1 with nearly a .940 GAA, and – 5 Shutouts – yes 5 Shutouts in 15 games. The young tender is developing swimmingly in his 3rd season as a BOAT. Toronto’s S54 Class is one of the best in the entire league – notching an average of 525 TPE. With a highly touted six-some in their YoungCallups class, including the likes of (4 Star Cup Champion Keith Lee) The NorthStars will definitely be a force to be reckoned with if they can hang on to their young core. Rhys Pritchard is superstar material - Watch out for Liam Slate and Ryu Jones.

YOUNG GUNS / CALLUPS:

RW [S52] Rhys Pritchard (989) @notoriousTRON

C [S52] Keith Lee (976) @TheDangaZone
C [S52] Danny Marston (895) @Capt_Blitzkrieg

C [S53] Taylor Johansson (724) @Tayjay
D [S53] Jack Kanoff (827) @jeffie43
D [S53] Axel Mezsaros (776) @ml002

PROSPECT POOL:

LW [S54] Luffy Richard (349) @Moreorless89
G [S54] Scoochie Stratton (601) @honkerrs
RD [S54] Ryosuke Sato (624) @Dextaria
D [S54] Alexei Petrikov  (526) @mdubz

RW [S55] Liam Slate (444) @Tylar
LW [S55] Ryu Jones (419) @SFresh3

RW [S55] Juni Panda (330) @juniped
LW [S55] Vincent Wolfe (305) @Durden

TAMPA BAY BARRACUDA 3-21-0 (8th in the East)

What the hell. Tampa, you have a lot of prospects. 14 of who are S54 or S55 players. @trella My advice would be to trade your S56 picks for S55 picks. Load up on this last draft, because your young core will take you to a challenge cup final: just the pure VOLUME of prospects. Dwight Knight and Ambacas Cuddles will take you to the promise land.  Next season may be time to bench Johnny Sins and give your quality young D a shot at the show.
The defense is straight up off the charts. Lambert, Dubolk, Victory and Cuddles may perhaps be the Top 4 of the future. Knight, Keahi and and Forrester have the potential to be an ELITE 1st line. Not to mention your many 1st round picks in this years draft – You could draft a 2nd line in the 1st round alone, but your pool is so deep, I’m not sure you need it.
I hope you can manage to keep your elite young core and ace a lottery pick in the draft - Huuveri is the Goaltender of the future, but Benjamin Blue deserves a title before handing the crown to Jerry.
This is by far the most exciting group of young players in the league. I will be following their development very closely. This is tanking done right.

YOUNG GUNS / CALLUPS:

RW [S52] Mega Tron (602) @jakub

D *SMJHL* [S53] Ambacas Cuddles (790) @trella
G  *SMJHL* [S53] Jerry Huuveri (663) @Jerppu
LW *SMJHL* [S53] Frederick Wanesley (547) @Mediocre_Fred
LW *SMJHL* [S53] Zoltan Topalo (698) @Rangerjase

PROSPECT POOL:
LW [S54] Dwight Knight (628) @hockeyiscool
LW [S54] Panda Panico (501) @peej2189
RD [S54] Elwulf Jericson (477) @Jericson
RW [S54] Justin Keahi (587) @MyLittleHexx
RD [S54] Devin Williams (404) @MrRuihu
C [S54] Matthew Forrester (525) @Matty7478

RW [S55] Taylor Gervais (303) @Pamplemousse
LD [S55] Colin Lambert (445) @rum_ham
RW [S55] Pavel Kharlamov (379) @RippleLuck
LD [S55] Adrik Baranov (383) @Jorec
LD [S55] Jorgustraad DuBolk (416) @MCP_
LW [S55] Jesse Seppanen (360) @crutch
LD [S55] Igor Victory (393) @Wearingabear
LW [S55] TURG TURG (390) @ThisSeemsFishy

MINNESOTA CHIEFS 4-19-0 (8th in the West)
Minnesota is the lone wolf of the west – pretty much the only team that is absolutely guaranteed not to make the playoffs. The Minnesota Prospects/Young Guns lineup is full of gems, such as Cal Labovitch, Rocco Berni, Alex Marshall and Devin Basher. They also have some ‘fluff’ in their pool – you can obviously see who – but, they will likely remain unsigned. 

YOUNG GUNS / CALLUPS

C [S52] C.T. Carragher (590) @RainDelay
RW [S52] Jmac NCheese (703) @JMacNCheese
RW [S52] Cal Labovitch (980) @Mutedfaith
C [S52] Sterling MacTavish (588) @Legend
D *SMJHL* [S52]  Bryce Turner (372) @Pandakazi

C  *SMJHL* [S53] Rocco Berni (799) @Blues
G *SMJHL* [S53] Separa Borro (420) @Lyezech
D *SMJHL* [S53] Ben Van Dijk (431) @Ben

PROSPECT POOL:
D [S54] Slimey Snail (463) @FleshBagSoup
LD [S54] PBJ Souppan (425) @thevoicelesscreator
LD [S54] Tinke Jutila (439) @Snussu
LD [S54] Jack Klompus (604) @Toast
C [S54] Grapefruit Lizard (339) @Frostbite

RW [S55] Devin Basher (435) @HanTheMan_
C [S55] James Boxman II (331) @siddhus
RW [S55] Alex Marshall (420) @DonutDefender

Let's look at the numbers:
Total Average TPE for signed S52, S53, S54, S55 Players:
Baltimore: 5,765 TOTAL TPE / 11 PLAYERS = 524.1: S55 PLAYERS: 5
Toronto: 8,685 TOTAL TPE / 14 PLAYERS = 627.5: S55 PLAYERS: 4
Tampa Bay: 9,491 TOTAL TPE / 19 PLAYERS = 499.5:  S55 PLAYERS: 8
Minnesota: 8,339 TOTAL TPE / 16 PLAYERS = 521.2:  S55 PLAYERS: 3

Obviously, Tampa Bay’s Large S55 Class dilutes their prospect pool quite a bit. Let’s exclude the S55 Class for a moment, as they haven't had much time to develop.

Baltimore: 3,813 TOTAL TPE / 6 Players = 635.5
Toronto: 7,287 TOTAL TPE / 10 Players = 728.7
Tampa Bay: 6’422 TOTAL TPE / 11 Players = 583.8
Minnesota: 7,153 TOTAL TPE / 13 Players = 550.2

At this point, on August 08, 2020: The Toronto North Stars have the best prospect pool, and overall collection of young players.

Tampa Bay however, are loaded with quality, quantity and First Round Draft Picks.

Baltimore has some quality young players, but lack quantity at this time.

Minnesota have a large quantity of players, ranging in skill level - a LOT of gems, but a number of busts as well.

Who will have the best future of the 5? Before looking into the numbers, I probably would've said Tampa Bay. However, it appears that I too am guilty of overlooking the North Stars. They have amazing young assets. Marston, Lee, Pritchard,Kanoff and Stratton are going to be key pieces in Toronto's push forward.

I definitely expect to see Tampa Bay at the top. Tampa has 19 young guys to choose from, with many more to come in the post season. @trella is going to have to make some tough choices, but I'm very certain he can sculpt something beautiful with all of his quality material.

I think Minnesota can piece it together too. they have many gems in Labovitch, Berni, Klompus, etc. At this point, Minnesota has to draft well and retain their key guys. I think they have a solid footing here.

Baltimore is definitely a difficult one. I'd definitely argue they have the toughest future of the 4 bottom feeders right now. As hard as it may be, they might have to burn it all down and start fresh. The rebuild in Baltimore will be painful, and potentially long.

Apologies if any mistakes were made.
Word Count: 1750

Minnesota and Toronto swapping spots with Toronto's IA's all fading out finally.

Great write up!

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

I wish there was a bit more coverage about what draft picks they have as that’s part of building as well. Otherwise great read. Also curious how much each team stands or could lose if anything in expansion

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

08-08-2020, 04:43 PMAndy Wrote: I wish there was a bit more coverage about what draft picks they have as that’s part of building as well. Otherwise great read. Also curious how much each team stands or could lose if anything in expansion

Man I tried to find an updated draft pick tracker but I straight up couldn’t. I’d love to follow up on this because there are gonna be good players lost in expansion.

08-08-2020, 04:59 PMBongo Wrote:
08-08-2020, 04:43 PMAndy Wrote: I wish there was a bit more coverage about what draft picks they have as that’s part of building as well. Otherwise great read. Also curious how much each team stands or could lose if anything in expansion

Man I tried to find an updated draft pick tracker but I straight up couldn’t. I’d love to follow up on this because there are gonna be good players lost in expansion.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...2Cb6baOtOQ

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/wiqZK8C.png[/img]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/6QlU4ci.png[/img]
[Image: vHNIXVO.png] [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Oooo they updated it finally!

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

I know a guy who's been writing about this lately. Toronto is going to lose one good forward in this coming expansion, though they don't have much in the way of worries on the blueline.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Yooooo a shoutout, kinda lol buuuuut the future is bright in the league and the rest of the league better beware of us!! A turning of a new leaf!!!

Chiefs Chiefs Chiefs Chiefs Chiefs

[Image: BnanaNWaffles.gif]
Sig by @Ragnar / Avatar by @leviadan
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]  [Image: qtbn8zh.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]