Create Account

Interview With Rookie Markeesio Hopscotch

NOTE TO GRADER: Some of this is from a template, please subtract 600 words from my total.

Welcome to the Vancouver Whalers “Know a Whaler Rookie” series! As with many new players to a team and league everyone is a bit curious about who they are as a player and a person. Our goal here at the Vancouver Herald is to make our hometown team a staple in your everyday life. In this continuing series reporters are going to ask a series of questions to all of our newer players in the hopes that their answers can shed some light on the questions we all have. With that being said, let’s get to it!

- Can you share with us a bit of information about your family?
I live with my parents, as well as my two brothers, who don’t even play hockey. One is a basketball player and the other one is a massive gamer. He actually won a few Warzone tournaments recently.
- Do you have a favorite number? Why is it your favorite?
9. To be perfectly honest I’m really not sure why, I just like it a lot.
- Do you know what number you will be wearing with the Whalers?
No clue, but I hope it’s 9.
- Do you have any nicknames? If so how did you get it?
Not really anymore, but in highschool I had a few that I can’t repeat.
- Who is your all time hockey idol?
Easily Cam Neally.
- Could you share with us one of your best hockey memories?
I was doing a charity game a few towns over from my hometown, and me and my boy Schultzy scored a combined total of 7 goals against a team of former SHL players. They might have been going easy on us, but it was a really cool experience nevertheless.
- When did you start skating? (Or were you born laces tied?)
I started skating a bit late actually, I was 7 or 8 I think, but as soon as I first hit the ice my parents could barely get me to leave.
- Do you have a favorite actor or actress?
Iko Uwais. He’s the star if my favorite action movies, the Raid and the Raid 2.
- What kind of music do you like?
I love Vaporwave. Just chilling out to some while going on a long drive really gets me relaxed and clears my head.
- Do you have a favorite singer or group at the moment?
Yeah, Home.
- If you could eat a meal with anyone alive or dead who would it be?
Probably a clone of myself. That would be absolutely wild.
- What is something people don’t know about you and would be surprised to find out?
I’m absolutely disgusting at Pokemon. I participate in a bunch of leagues with my friends.
- What is the person you admire most throughout your hockey career?
Probably my boy Schultzy. Had he not gotten injured he would definitely be right here beside me. Love ya man.
- Is there something you have with no monetary value, but has the most value to you?
My first stick. It shows the start of what eventually shaped my life.
- Is there any chore that if you could you would never do again?
The dishes, I hate doing that so much.
- If you could do any other job aside from professional hockey what would you do and why?
Probably an archaeologist. I’m getting a degree in anthropology on the side right now so that would be pretty cool.
- What is your favorite place you have ever visited?
Easily Vancouver. It’s a great city, and all the memories here so far have been irreplaceable.
-What is a place that you want to visit, but have not been to yet?
Tokyo, I feel that place is wild.
- Do you have any hockey superstitions or pre-game rituals?
Nah not really, I just kind of chill and talk to my teammates.
- What was your favorite toy as a child?
Probably my nerf guns. Me and my friends would have huge wars with each other all of the time.
- Who is your biggest cheerleader?
My family. They come to as many games a possible, which is really cool of them.
- Do you do anything to stay busy when travelling between games?
I play smash bros with the team. I always kick Zebulon’s butt which is fun.
- Do you have any favorite quotes or mottos?
“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke.
- Have you always played the same position you currently play throughout your life
I’ve switched between the wings but I’m always either right or left.
- If you could choose anyone to be your hockey spirit coach, who would it be?
My dog, probably. She’s still alive, but like, that’d be cool.
- So you have a long family history of hockey?
No not really, I’m the first.
- Do you have a favorite TV show?
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is fun, and me and Zebulon watch a bunch of Try Guys.
- Do you already know anyone on the Vancouver Whalers?
No not really.
- Do you know anyone else in the SMJHL?
No Not really
- Do you have a rival?
Myself, man, myself.
- What would you describe your play style as?
Aggressive, yet sophisticated.

- Do you play any other sports other than hockey?
No, none really caught my eye.
- Outside of this time, have you ever been to Vancouver before?
Once, for a doctors appointment. No further comment on that though.
- Do you speak any other languages? If so what?
I’m fluent in Russian, which is great for communicating with my teammates.
- How do you feel about being drafted by Vancouver?
I’m super excited, I used to watch a ton of their games as a kid, so this is a dream come true.
- What is your pump up song?
It’s more of a relaxing song but definitely Resonance by Home, I love that song.
- What do you think about the current competition around the league?
It is definitely heated, I can tell you that much.
- Do you have a special someone out there currently?
Nah, hockey is my only true love at the moment.
- What are your goals for this season?
To make a few goals hahaha. But forreal, it’s to just try my best to not let my teammates down and just go out there and make mom and dad proud.

Well, there you have it folks! Now you know a little bit about Zebulon Leavitt. With the season getting into full swing we have a great chance to get to know these guys a little bit better and we hope you will continue to join us for our Know a Player segment. Thanks again for helping us cheer on our Vancouver Whalers and don’t forget to get out and support them at every home game!

Reminder TO GRADER: Some of this is from a template, please subtract 600 words from my total.