Create Account

S55 PT #4 - OK What's Your Expansion Team Idea

I have a suggestion for two expansion teams. Initially I was looking at Ottawa, turns out they don't do shit up there and naming them the prime ministers sounded like a real dumb idea. So I took a look at a US map, cause fuck, idk what American geography is like. Turns out America has two Portland's? The fuck is up with that? So here's my idea.

Portland Capital's

This Portland will be in Seattle which is in the STATE of Washington, which is extra fun because it's like Washington the city is the capital and there's the NHL's Washington capitals and all that, so, really funny, right? From there I'd honestly give em the old branding of current Canucks. Make em all blue, but a lighter shade of blue than currently on the Nucks. Make the goal song "Power of Love" by Huey Lewis, you'll see why later. Also they could fuck around and have a rivalry with Seattle since they just got announced as a team.

Portland Capitol's

In the lawmakers haven of the US (Don't look that up) we have the eastern team, the Portland Capitol's. I think this Portland is in New England? I know it's in the upper east portion of the U.S. so that's a good start. Let em come in and start more rivalries, let em fuck up the Wolfpack like the fucked up my mock draft. Now, for branding we can go all in on the lawyer angle. Call the arena the "Soctiabank Office", have the starting lineup be called the big 5 like the big accounting firms before one of em got dinged for being shitty. Ain't quite lawyers but it's still business. Color-wise I want leather looking jerseys, like a suitcase. The logo can be like a hammer and sickle type thing but it's a gavel hitting stick or something. I think that'd be cool. The goal song would be "Power of Love" by Jennifer Rush. Get it? There is my dual expansion bid, no reason to turn that shit down.

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

I've actually applied twice for SMJHL expansion teams so I figured I'd share with you all the team that I've been trying to get into the league, the Utah Saints! Funnily enough my Co in SFP also had an idea for an expansion team in the SHL located in Utah, what are the odds!

My reasoning behind the team was that there is a clear lack of teams in that area of North America and they have the infrastructure and population to support a team.

The name was fairly obvious and maybe controversial to some. Utah is intrinsically connected to the Mormon faith and the church of latter day saints. Maybe a bit too obvious but I liked it. And the iconography would look nice on a jerseys. I wanted to go for a silvery white with gold maroon trims much in the style of the Vegas Golden knights jersey and the logo being a stylised old renaissance halo (they almost look like a golden sun disc). Would look very nice on a jersey I think.

I had some backup names too but as the team never came to pass I'm saving them for a rainy day. It's unlikely I'll be moving away from the GM position in SFP anytime soon but you never know, you may see the Utah X's in the league in a few years time if I'm still around!

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

If I were pitching an expansion team for the SHL I would go with the Kansas City Express. Kansas City is the 38th most populous city in the United States. It's central location also lends itself well to the travel that an SHL team needs to do. The name Express is a reference to the Pony Express. The Pony Express was a mail service that started in Missouri and connected the developed eastern states with the wild west all the way to California. It is a name that has historical roots and is also unique. For team colors I would go with something that represents the sights that someone in the Pony Express would see while also going for a unique scheme in the SHL. I would go with a sky blue, green, and a nice brown to represent the vast open plains that a Pony Express postman would see. The logo would be similar to that used by the Pony Express itself and be a galloping horse. Being located in Kansas City the team would be able to cultivate a fan culture that is built upon barbecue culture and develop a unique pre game experience for fans.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Clearly there needs to be a team in Philadelphia where hockey passions run so deep.  There is no doubt that a team there would turn into a huge success.  Owing in large part to the success of the now legendary mascot Gritty, we would of course want to name the team after him, Philadelphia Gritty.  Their uniforms will be similar to the Flyers jerseys with one important change.  The Gritty belly button will be stitched onto the front giving the opponents some unease in their minds that everyone on the team may just be a little bit crazy.  The team will be a championship contender within just a few years and will never look back.  While the game has changed to focus on speed, this team will still have a few goons on the squad that can mix it up and get into the opponents heads.  That will take them off of their game and allow for many wins.  Be afraid SHL, be very afraid.

Code:
165 Words

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2020, 02:31 PM by Rancidbudgie.)

My bid for expansion, the Victoria Crusade

[Image: e4VhI55.png]

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2020, 03:54 PM by KlusteR.)

(This is copied almost verbatim from my application to HO. Enjoy Wink )

One of the first things I noticed when checking my possible franchise destinations is the definite lack of a major league franchise in the Northwest of the continent. Whilst Vancouver, Kelowna and Anchorage are now mainstays in the SMJHL, the closest teams there are to the Cascadia region are the San Francisco Pride, and the Calgary Dragons - both in different divisions from one another. The Tampa Bay Barracuda franchise was the last one the have a solid footing in the region, playing as the Seattle Riot for over 20 seasons. But since S46, a gaping hole has developed in there for the SHL, and I feel like this is the time to rediscover the region.

The Pacific Northwest is known for its very diverse wildlife, helped by friendly oceanic currents that favor the development of the local fauna. It is a region that is very highly populated in fishes of all sorts - but the Barracuda already being in the league, and associated with the region “by proxy”, I figured I would need another animal type. I looked at the franchises around the league, and only saw one more “bird” team - the Hamilton Steelhawks, which quite frankly, have a very different tone from the “king fishers” that we see out West. I also toyed with the idea of the Seattle Seals, but that felt… too awkward of an alliteration (if that’s even possible.)

This is where the decision of going with the “C” alliteration, for Cascadia, started making its way in my brain - I knew the Cormorant was a fisher bird, but I didn’t know if it existed outside of the Northeast. To my greatest relief, the cormorant is fairly widespread in the Northwest, particularly near the island of Vancouver. This fisher bird may not look intimidating due to its fairly small size (the larger species of cormorants only ever reach 1m of wingspan), but it is one of the more prolific and populous fisher birds in the world. Its goofy demeanor may lead others to dismiss them, on account of their lack of seriousness (their cry kind of sounds like a grating laughter) - but if their territory is threatened, they will overwhelm you with sheer numbers, and their deadly accuracy in their pecks. This very well represents the spirit of the franchise I’m trying to bring to life in the SHL (goofy demeanor, and deadly when underestimated), and being a lesser known bird, their namesake still is yet to make an appearance in the league.

Since their namesake is fairly large and wide to cover, and since Seattle already had a franchise, and I do not wish to reiterate on that city/franchise/name/whatever, I have decided that the city that will host the home games for the Cascadia Cormorants would be Portland, OR. Apart from the Winterhawks in the WHL, they are not associated with any NHL/AHL teams. The local arena, the Moda Center, is able to hold 19,393 spectators, and is the current home of the Winterhawks, as well as the Trailblazers in the NBA. This would be the perfect venue for a major league team.

[Image: 75340501-1200px.jpg]

Seen here : the Double-crested Cormorant, the most populous type of cormorant in the Pacific Northwest

As for the logo and color scheme… you will find a pattern within my franchise ideas. I am not an artistic man - at all. I have ideas in mind, but I absolutely need help on this front, and I’m willing to pay for any kind of sketches and pitches that may come my way. HOWEVER! I still have an idea of what I want represented, and how. As you can see from the above picture, the cormorant has a tendency to curve in its wings, yet keep them slightly open, whenever they’re standing on a pillory or any kind of structure. What I would like to see in my logo for the team is a cormorant that is just starting to take off in the air, with its wings enveloping the lower part of its body, and leaving the head exposed. What that would do is create a sort of a “C” shape for the cormorant, showing the alliteration’s starting letter in the team’s logo.

The orange face of the cormorant has pretty much cemented what I was already imagining - orange as a secondary color. But since the color of the body is a bit drab, I went for the contrasting colors of navy blue (#020B6C) for most of the features, bright orange (#F88114) for the bill, the face, and it’s clawed paws, with some teal (#14BAA6) elements that could be added to highlight some of the features (but definitely, the eyes need to be teal, as seen in the picture above.) This is a color scheme that I really appreciate (you will see it later, too), as the navy blue and orange are what we call “complimentary colors”, so they play very well off one another. Plus, the scheme will add another dimension to the league, as is currently 1 franchise out of 26 that use this color scheme of blue and orange - and even then, for the LA Panthers, it’s more “teal and gold” than “blue and orange”, wouldn’t you agree?

(~900 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

Well even though I am a Bruins fan, as you can easily tell from my username. What some people do not know is that I am from Montreal and I think that they deserve a team in the league. Unfortunately, they had gotten their team removed from the SMJHL in a rebranding which I was actually apart of that team. But, the most historic and most winningest team in hockey history, I think the city of Montreal deserves to be recognized here in this hockey league and community.

I have learned a lot about Quebec history in school and asmuch as it would be nice to name the team around something of the Iroquois or the first habitants here, I think what is going on in the world and with a team name already being Chiefs in the league, i really do not see that as being a good idea. The idea that comes to mind that really suits the situation here is the Revolution. The American revolution took place in Quebec and Canada when they explored and discovered the land. They fought for the land, when the British and the French fought for the province of Quebec. Not only that, but the city coming back into the league would be like a new revolution of the city itself represented in the SHL and I think would be a good fit. It might be a little too far fetched when it comes to using the history way back when of the city to represent its team in this community, that is why I tried to fit something that would hold onto the cities history aswell as the league and site history that Montreal has here. The colors of Revolution being Red, White and Blue also fit perfect with the city of Montreal. Other than the Impact, the professional sports teams always use that as their teams colors in Montreal. The Habs, Expos and Alouettes all use that color scheme and it would work here too

This photo right here would be a good idea. I like the fist that is centered in the logo, the Revolution underneath it and aswell, the fist would be the letter T in the MTL abbreviation. It would fit everything into one

[Image: 638c10b899a5d24726983d8057782813.png]

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature

[Image: logo-attemp.png]

It's not a good work, but it's not a bad one either. I present you the Philadelphia Undeads.

ISFL PT

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

Ok ok hear me out this is a great expansion idea ten out of ten if I do say so myself which is good because I am saying so by myself.

Here it is, here's the idea: the Yukon Aurora Borealis. Great idea eh? I bet even @Gwdjohnson himself thinks it's a great idea, however his opinion on ideas is usually wrong so I should say that I bet he thinks it's a bad idea, which means that to most other people it's a good idea.

Here's the breakdown on how I came up with it: I thought that we needed more Canadian representation in the league, so it was a no brainer to pick either a Canadian province or city. Quebec and any city in it (especially Montreal) was automatically out because that's exactly what Gabe would want which means no one else would want that. Next, I eliminated any region that is in the Eastern part of the country because we don't need any more teams in the thunderdome that is the Eastern Conference. Next, I eliminated any place in Alberta or British Columbia because there's already quite a bit of representation there in the SHL and the SMJHL. Saskatchewan and Manitoba? I'm not sure those places even exist. Nunavut or Northwest Territories would've been cool but I was scared that I would pick a branding that's insensitive. So really that just leaves the Yukon, and the best thing I can think of about that province are the Northern Lights.

Branding would be green and dark blue and whatever other colours are in the Aurora Borealis usually.

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

In order to shake things up in the SHL and bring hockey to a fresh, diehard market, my idea for an SHL expansion team would be the Salt Lake City Rebels. Brandishing a mean, intimidating red and black color scheme they would also have a silver tint as an alternate color on their jerseys. While Salt Lake City is a small fanbase compared to other markets, their fans are devoted and have great attendance rates at Utah Jazz games, who would be sharing the same arena as the rebels. I have no doubt in my mind that Salt Lake City would be an excellent addition to the SHL, and that the branding would be sufficient to sell jerseys to fans all over the world. Another thing to mention is that since the 2002 Winter Olympics held in Salt Lake City, they have proven to be an excellent hub of everything winter sports related.

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

If I was to run an expansion team, i would want to choose somewhere that has a strong hockey past, a large market of loyal fans and makes sense. With that in mind I would pick somewhere along the lines of British Columbia. It’s a large market with many fans from both sides of the border and stands as a great location for hockey talent to live and compete. For the name, it’s hard to choose but I’d lean something that exemplifies the region.Something likely involving Salmon or the wildlife and cultures present in the indigenous peoples lives to honour their losses. For branding though i can help some. I think that a salmon colour scheme would work fantastic in the Hockey world and is vastly underutilized, along with a deep teal reminiscent of the glacial lakes located throughout the B.C interior. As a Canucks fan I like their branding but it has almost nothing to do with the province or city. The Orca is related to the former owners of the team nothing more.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2020, 06:31 PM by RedCapeDiver.)

I apologize now for this abomination 
But i give you the Boise Spuds
[Image: ghzsZwd.jpg]

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

PBE Affiliate

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

My expansion team idea was be for Hawaii. I have always been a big supporter of hockey in Hawaii and I think it would be a great place to play hockey. Selfishly Hawaii is my dream place to move, and if I could live there and play hockey... my life would be the best. I know that Hawaii isn't the first place for expansion, but I think Honolulu would be a great city for it. The logistics of having a hockey team there was be insane and I know it would be hard... but let me dream. I also think a franchise there would be great for the local community and the hockey team could be a great influence for the youth hockey in the area. Imagine the impact that would have on little kids who see hockey being played in their city... I would for sure fall in love.

[Image: gurbs.gif]