Create Account

Players Tribune: Expansion Draft

Players Tribune: Expansion Draft
By Eric Vanderberg

When I was drafted in S46, it was 51st Overall.

That day I learned two immutable things, 51st overall draft picks don't get to go on stage and put on their team's jersey and take those PR pictures and no one remembers the depth players that go in the later rounds unless they've won something. You watch the sports shows and listen to the radio and you hear little blurbs on who gets drafted, the players they could be or are in the mold of.

When I got drafted, I was compared to Andrei Markov.

I ended up like Alexei Emelin.

Close enough really.

Now I know what you're thinking, these are just sour grapes. I'm not sour, I've had a hell of a career in the league so far. I am enjoying every second of my second stint in Buffalo. I just bought a house here. People give Buffalo shit for the weather or that its not a big city but to me its become my home. I know my teammate Cass Darrow feels the same way. I know he loves Buffalo, he lives, eats, breathes this city.

Which is why it was weird to see his name next to mine on the expansion draft non-protected list.

Cass is an icon in Buffalo, he is in every sense of the word an elite defenseman. He is the kind of defenseman I wanted to be when I broke into the league. He is top tier, I am third tier. He is easily a hall of fame candidate, I am a shoo in for Team Ambassador maybe. The comparisons are night and day. I don't fault the Front Office for their decision, it had to be tough. Putting together a team like ours, something had to give.

It will just be a shock to me and my system if I see Cass in Atlanta or Seattle colors.

I think the entire city of Buffalo would also have a minor heart attack.

I bring this up because without hesitation it is my role in the league and the unwritten role of every bottom six guy or girl and third pairing defenseman to play the Journeyman and to be the sacrificial lamb. Left available so that the next big thing can play a role without having to worry about stepping on the toes of a veteran. Going to a new city to mentor the draftees, to be a leader, protecting the stars and give the fans something to cheer about. Its one of those things you never really sit down and talk about during a team meeting or while you're out with the boys, but its always in the back of your mind.

It's also one of those things that they don't tell you when you're standing on stage, putting on the team jersey and hat and smiling for the cameras. That one day, unless you're a big name star, you could end up finishing your career playing for a team that picked you because they wanted to compete and had little other choice. You'll find yourself flying to a city that asks if you are the new baseball player that X city just traded for and they'll be shocked when you tell them that their city has a hockey team. You'll strap on your skates and take the ice for franchise game one and one day if you're lucky you'll be an obscure trivia answer on that team's trivia game.

Still, I wouldn't trade this life for anything in the world.

I've got no idea if either Seattle or Atlanta intends to take a chance on a 8 year league veteran whose never scored more than 20 points a season but if they do take a flyer on me, ill give you everything I've got night in and night out. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to leave Buffalo, but I will gladly take the place of any of my teammates if it means they get to spend a little longer playing the game in the city that we love.

Plus the benefit in taking me is that you won't be killing the entire city of Buffalo by taking Cass Darrow.

Unless you're into that kind of thing.

I don't judge nor kinkshame.

-Vandy
Stampede

Heart and Soul kinda guy Blush

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Foundational!

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

A true unsung hero in the game of hockey, and a beloved figure in the city of Buffalo.

Keep on keeping on, Vandy. I sacrifice Darrow this coming season so the Buffalo machine can keep rolling on.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Love ya Vandy

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

A+

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]