Create Account

S56 SHL Mock Draft (double draft media)
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 10:50 AM by Bayley.)

[Image: cut.jpg]

Well, I guess since we are looking at doing some double media, it is time to make some money, right? Let's do a mock draft! I will be using Andy's article about defensive draft needs that you can find here to really look at team needs, so let's take a look at the mock draft.

1. The Tampa Bay Barracuda select:
Name: Vladmir Petrov
Position: Right Wing
TPE: 316
SMJHL Team: Anchorage Armada
Analysis: With the first overall pick in the SHL Draft, the Tampa Bay Barracuda will go ahead and take the first Petrov brother off the board. Vladmir is second in TPE rankings behind his brother, Teylora, (ha suck it Muford). This guy is a pure offensive player. You look at what he can bring, he is going to be hell on the offensive side of the ice. Now, on defense, he is not great. You know what you are getting from him. The Barracuda are going to really want to see him develop some defense in the SMJHL if they take him with the first overall pick. Vladmir and the Barracuda have some history as Trella and Muford have been on the same team together, so there is some comfort ability there. I feel like this would be a solid pick in a draft that really lacks separation from the top prospects.

2. The Toronto North Stars select:
Name: Slava Petrov
Position: Left Wing
TPE: 307
Analysis: With the second pick in the SHL Draft, I think Toronto will go on offense as they look to be pretty set on defense in terms of young players. They are going to go with Slava Petrov who has some really great intangibles. When you look at what he can bring, he has really good hands for a minor league player as well as he knows where he needs to be to make a play. When it comes to passing and shooting, he has a lot to work on, but he knows where he needs to be. I really like what this guy looks like currently, and I think Toronto also will like what they see. The Petrov brothers will go first and second as they are also known commodities in the SHL community.

3. The Minnesota Chiefs select:
Name: Aleksander Kozlov
Position: Center
TPE: 310
SMJHL Team: Carolina Kraken
Analysis: You know, I debated Kozlov with each of the first two picks, but I decided that the Chiefs would take him with the third overall pick. It is highly possible he could go in the first two, but in this, he goes here. A lot similarly to Slava Petrov, this guy has been working on the intangibles. He has great offensive read, defensive read, and positioning. I really like the look of this guy in terms of build. When you look at what you want from a forward, you want one that can go up and down the ice and do what they need to do at both ends of the ice. He is good offensively and defensively. That is exactly what you really want from any player, never mind a rookie. I love what I see. I think this would honestly be a steal even at 3rd overall pick. I expect Minny to take him at 3 if he is still available.

4. The Atlanta Inferno select:
Name: Teylora Petrov
Position: Defense
TPE: 317
SMJHL Team: Quebec City Citadelles
Analysis: If any of the top teams needed a defenseman, I would expect Petrov to go higher since he is the leader in terms of TPE in the class, but no one really needs a defenseman. So, Atlanta will get the highest earner in the class with a good bank account. You have to really love that. You are getting a defensive defenseman that will do what the other players do not want to do. You know, this guy will not be on the scoresheet, he will not look to score or pass, he will look to defend. You will put him on the penalty kill and someone you want out there with 2 minutes left and the game on the line and up by 1. I really think this is someone to rely on by doing the dirty work rather than the pretty work. I think this guy will end up on his second expansion team of his career.

5. The New England Wolfpack select (from Seattle):
Name: Rock Strongo
SMJHL Team: Colorado Raptors
Analysis: With the 5th Overall Pick, the New England Wolfpack will go with Rock Strongo of the Colorado Raptors. I really think this is such a great value pick for this pick. This guy is a well known commodity in the league, someone that everyone respects. So, to add this guy to the locker room, especially with a new General Manager will speak volumes. I really think that this would be a smart play in terms of the locker room as well as the overall player to take this guy. What are you getting from Strongo? He is someone that is good at getting open and being a playmaker, first and foremost. He really focuses a lot of his energy on the defensive side of the ice as well. He has really good defensive read and doesn't forget about his duty as a faceoff man. I like what he has done so far. I really think this will be a solid pick with so many players available.

6. The Tampa Bay Barracuda select (from Baltimore):
Name: KnockedOut ByOvechkin
Position: Right Wing
TPE: 303
SMJHL Team: Vancouver Whalers
Analysis: The Barracuda ended up taking Vladmir Petrov with their first overall pick, they will go ahead and bolster their offense again by taking ByOvechkin with this 6th pick. They are really looking to get better on offense considering they are pretty much set on defense. I would not be surprised if they end up moving some picks considering it all, but this is going to be the guy I'd pick. When you look at ByOvechkin, he has focused on all offense, just like V Petrov has done. His lowest offensive attribute is 11 which is really awesome. I really think, like Vladmir, the Barracuda will be looking at this guy to develop defensively before bringing him up to the big squad. You really do not want to see giveaways in their own zone or taking a risk on defense and giving up a goal. He will be able to score, but you need a sure-handed guy on defense, and I am really not sure that ByOvechkin is that guy. You develop on defense, this is a great pick.

7. The San Francisco Pride select:
Name: Jonas Kahnwald
SMJHL Team: Newfoundland Berserkers
Analysis: I think that the Pride will end up going with the best player available on the board which, to me, is Kahnwald from the Champion, Newfoundland Berserkers. I think that this guy could be someone you want as a quarterback on the powerplay. He does have some defensive attributes, but, by far, he is someone that will be focusing on offense. With him as one of the top defenseman off the board, they will want a lot from him. This team is going to be going through a huge rebuild, so it is finding people that are in for that and in for the long run. You really need to find that player, they are hoping Kahnwald will be that. I am not sure that he will mind heading back to the SMJHL at least for another season or two. The Pride will likely be in the lottery for the upcoming seasons, of course, if they had their picks, it would be better. But, let's start here. It's a great start.

8. The Los Angeles Panthers select:
Name: Yngve Simonsson
Position: Left Wing
TPE: 299
SMJHL Team: Detroit Falcons
Analysis: With Wasty going to the Panthers, they are going to go offensive in terms of where they will be picking in this current draft. They are going go ahead and take Yngve Simonsson. JP is a very familiar name to the league, so they go and get another recreate. I mean, it seems like the game of recreates, does it not? This guy is a pretty well-rounded player in terms of the fact that he has 12 in both reads as well as 12 in passing and getting open. I think he will always be an offensive player compared to a defensive, but he is not exactly horrible on the defensive side like I listed a few prospects earlier. He is going to be a great pick, especially with a mid-first rounder. I like him a lot.

9. The Winnipeg Jets select:
Name: Sarah Burke
TPE: 302
Analysis: Honestly, I have been waiting to talk about Burke. If you saw in my Deep Dive, I talked about Prospects that I really like and Burke is one of them. Kez will make out here with an absolute gem. I love everything about this player and the person itself. Kya is fantastic in the locker room, I honestly could not say enough good things. Burke will be a pretty well-rounded defenseman as well. She can pass, she knows how to get open and knows where to be on the defensive side of the ice. For a rookie, this is exactly what you want. I cannot believe she will fall to 9, but that could be being a first generation player. I would expect this to be a slam dunk pick for the Jets. I think the Jets will be a team looking to move up in the draft, but if they stay here, I think they get similar value to what they would get if they moved up. That's how highly I think of Burke. I could go on for a while, but I have more players to talk about.

10. The New England Wolfpack select:
Name: Raivo Helminen
TPE: 290
SMJHL Team: Nevada Battleborn
Analysis: There we have the first pick of the other expansion team, the Nevada Battleborn as Helminen will be heading east to the New England Wolfpack. After taking Rock Strongo with their first pick, I think they will continue to bolster their offense by taking this guy. You saw what I thought about before in terms of why. When you look at what Helminen can bring to the team, he is an offensive player that likes to shoot. He likes to shoot and score, so he will be a valuable piece on the PowerPlay as well as when you need that extra scorer. I think he may end up moving to wing if he does not bring up his faceoffs more, but that is not the end of the world. I think that this guy is going to be a sniper. He will work with Rock Strongo quite perfectly, if you really think about it. The Wolfpack will go with Helminen with their 2nd first round pick.

11. The Texas Renegades select:
Name: Sachimo Zoidberg III
TPE: 300
Analysis: Just when you thought there would be only one player from the Battleborn, BOOM, you get another. Jala has won Championships with his previous players, so you are getting another guy that is familiar with the landscape of the SHL. This guy is about as rounded as you can get. He has 11s in most categories which is what you want to see. He has not been focusing on any one area, so you can tell that his grade in games will be rounded. I think this is a solid plan, it's a way to get up to Texas sooner than later. I think Texas will go with the best player that is available which, in my opinion, would be Zoidberg. Well-rounded player that is familiar and a good earner, that is all you want from a pick. This is another guy that could have been higher if it was not as deep of a draft that it is. I wouldn't be surprised if he even goes higher than he is right here at 11.

12. The Tampa Bay Barracuda select (from Chicago):
Name: Dee Centerman IV
TPE: 290
Analysis: After taking Vladmir Petrov and KnockedOut ByOvechkin, they will go with the player from Great Britain, Centerman IV. Centerman IV is someone that has focused a ton on defense which should compliment the other two actually really nicely. They focused on all offense, so getting a guy that knows how to play defense will be great. He has 13 defensive read as well as focused on positioning, checking, and stick checking. The Whaler really has the frame and defense to make an impact. Centerman IV will be a really good pick for the Barracuda who will be stacking up on forwards. They are going to have so many players in their system, I have no idea how they are going to fit them all, but that's for them to figure out eventually. This is a super great value pick.

13. The Calgary Dragons select:
Name: Bane
TPE: 299
Analysis: I really am a bit surprised that he went so low in the SMJHL draft. I know there are some questions, but so far, he has really proved a lot of people wrong. I really think letting him fall in this draft would be a mistake, especially when you know how much he could really add to a team. I think that the Dragons take him with their 13th pick. This guy has been an overall balanced player with 11s in most categories. He has focused on being physical as a big defenseman. I think he will look to be a two-way guy that wants to be used at all times. This could be preferred to someone like Teylora Petrov who is focusing on just being a defensive defenseman. I guess, it depends on what your team needs. I thought about going offensive with this pick, but I think they need to replace Otis B Driftwood on the defensive side which is why I went with Bane. This is Nevada's third 1st round pick taken.

14. The New England Wolfpack select (from Manhattan):
Name: Michael Withecheck
TPE: 298
Analysis: With the 14th pick, I think New England will go against what they have done with their other picks and decide to go defense with this pick. They will go with another first generation pick and take Withecheck from the Anchorage Armada. This guy has really focused on being a two-way guy, similarly to what we saw with what Bane did. He does have 11s in all of the applicable offensive categories as well as looking at 11s in position, stickchecking, and defensive read. Now, I would expect that shot blocking will be important for this guy if he wants to make a bigger impact on the defensive side of the ice. I think that the Wolfpack will be taking BPA here, I really like this guy. He's a CO-GM in the ISFL, and has made a really good player there. With him getting welfare there to apply in SHL, he seems like a good bet for a solid player in this position.

15. The Seattle Argonauts select (from Hamilton):
Name: Phillip Weaver
Position: Goaltender
TPE: 289
Analysis: I did it. I put a goalie in the first round, yeah, kill me. I figured that Seattle will want to go ahead and take the consensus first Goaltender that is available. I think that there is a lot to like about this guy. He is going to be a franchise goaltender for whomever takes him, so to go to an expansion team actually will be pretty wanted by this player. He can get to playing probably a lot sooner than he would with any other team. In all honesty, I see CO-GM in this guy's future. I think he is a solid player to take before Atlanta tries to take a goalie of their own. I think he's above the other goalies (though there are other great ones), so I think this needs to be taken, especially how much FHM seems to really care about how good goalies are.

16. The Los Angeles Panthers select (from Edmonton):
Name: Jasper Maximov
TPE: 288
SMJHL Team: Quebec City Citadelles
Analysis: Call me a homer a little bit, but I love Maximov. I really think Jasper is going to be a cornerstone defenseman for anyone that takes them, so I really had to put them on the board with this pick. Will Los Angeles go with a defenseman? Maybe, but they went with JP earlier in the draft. I think this is more of a pick that they had to take. I just saw Maximov available and I can't let enigmatic drop any further. She is a fantastic member, so you have to pick her here. This is more of a pick of locker room and a solid member than a need from a positional standpoint. I think that Los Angeles can gamble a little bit, and this may be one of those picks.

17. The Tampa Bay Barracuda select (from New Orleans):
Name: Evangelos Giannopoulos
TPE: 293
SMJHL Team: Detroit Falcons
Analysis: Detroit will get to see their second player get called. Giannopoulos is another guy that I just think the Barracuda cannot pass up just given the track record on this guy. I don't think he will fall to 17, but he did in this mock draft. If he's available, this seems like a no brainer if I am being honest. He has been focusing mostly on defense which could really be nice for this team. He has all of the relative defensive ratings over 11 which you want to see in a defenseman. You can play him in key spots when you need to protect leads as well as on the special teams. I think this is a great value pick if the Barracuda will be picking here.

18. The Seattle Argonauts select (from Buffalo):
Name: Tanjiro Kamado
TPE: 288
Analysis: With the last pick in the first round, the Argonauts will be going ahead and taking Kamado. This guy has put out really great articles, so absolutely could go higher than that. This is an offensive player who will be focusing on that, it looks like. He also has 31 banked TPE to really fit where his team needs him to fit. I love this pick, it really would be a steal to see him go this far in any draft.

I hope you enjoyed!
Quote:Words: 3,735 according to wordcount

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

I like YOU a lot <3

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

Oh very nice!

There’s a bunch there I’m not sure about but I like this article a lot. Great job. Would be honored to be a first rounder

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

Im truly flattered<3

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!

Nice analysis.

I would be shocked if SEA didn't draft BPA with their firsts, especially at F.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

09-08-2020, 04:35 PMhhh81 Wrote: Nice analysis.

I would be shocked if SEA didn't draft BPA with their firsts, especially at F.
I appreciate the kind words, everyone!

Yeah, I just thought Weaver was so far ahead of everyone right now, it may make sense to just get that taken care of.

09-08-2020, 10:50 AMPanda Wrote: 10. The New England Wolfpack select:

Highly unlikely. I think that user got kicked from the team previously over certain comments. I don't think they'd be interested in redrafting him.

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)

09-08-2020, 04:38 PMTheHockeyist Wrote:
09-08-2020, 10:50 AMPanda Wrote: 10. The New England Wolfpack select:

Highly unlikely. I think that user got kicked from the team previously over certain comments. I don't think they'd be interested in redrafting him.
Ahh fair, I haven't been around in like 2 years, I did not know that!

Appreciate the kind words. Good stuff. Cheers

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

Scrolling fast I thought you meme'd all the Petrovs in the first picks then went on with an actual mock draft.

[Image: engishl.gif]
FranceMonarchsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsFrance