Create Account

Newfoundland Berserkers S56 Draft Prospects
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2020, 08:12 PM by Tylar.)

***x2 Draft Media Bonus

Code:
2010 Words

Newfoundland Berserkers S56 Draft Prospects

The S55 Four Star Cup Champions had an excellent season full of veteran players who are now leaving the team. The team is seeing the likes of Minamino, Harrington, Kostitsyn, Twist, and Klompus leaving the team for the Simulation Hockey League. With people leaving the team, that means there will be a new group of Berserkers to carry the torch. Last season the Berserkers saw a small group of Simulation Hockey League draft eligibles in Liam Slate, Lassi Suhonen, and Junior Guarda. This season is similar to only two Simulation Hockey League draft eligibles in winger Vaseline Podcalzone and defenseman Jonas Kahnwald. The Newfoundland Berserkers have had relatively small draft classes after their large S53 draft class which was mentioned before that is now leaving and their large S54 draft class. While their last two draft classes have been small, they have been extremely good at drafting. In their S54 Simulation Major Junior Hockey League draft, they picked Liam Slate first overall and Junior Guarda in the later rounds. In their S55 Simulation Major Junior Hockey League draft, they picked Kahnwald in the second round and Podcalzone in the third.

Vaseline Podcalzone
[Image: 8476880.jpg]

Vaseline Podcalzone is a right winger from Moscow, Russia. The Winger stands at 6’1 and weighs 185 pounds. He is built to be an aggressive player who likes to throw the body but also contribute offensively. I would compare Vaseline Podcalzone to a Tom Wilson of the NHL in terms of stylistic comparison. His strength is definitely putting the body on players in board play as well as getting open for scoring opportunities. Vaseline Podcalzone lacks a bit in terms of playmaking ability and offensive IQ which is where some scouts may see some weaknesses in Vaseline Podcalzone’s game. Vaseline Podcalzone was drafted by the Newfoundland Berserkers in the S55 Simulation Major Junior Hockey League draft in the third round at 31st overall. The Berserkers were a bit unsure how Vaseline Podcalzone would translate to the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League, and took a bit of a risk on the young Russian winger from Moscow. Vaseline Podcalzone was basically an unknown and the Newfoundland Berserkers found themselves looking at picking someone they were familiar with, or a risk. Their risk seems to have paid off as Podcalzone has been a good player for them both on and off the ice. Podcalzone brought a youthful and energetic vibe to the Newfoundland Berserker locker room. On the ice, Podcalzone played on the fourth line with Nicco Livius and Lassi Suhonen. Pocalzone put up a scoreline of 8 points, 6 of those points were assists in 50 games played. Podcalzone managed to record 33 hits as well which is pretty good for a guy who played very little minutes. Overall, Vaseline Podcalzone had a good rookie season on a deep team. In comparison, last season’s rookie Liam Slate recorded 16 points on the fourth line. Podcalzone played on a deeper and more talented Berserkers team. In the S55 playoffs, Podcalzone played 17 games in the Newfoundland Berserkers Four Star up Championship run and recorded 4 assists but managed 20 hits for a hit per game pace. Podcalzone played a valuable grinder role for the Berserkers and was asked to help energize the team throughout the playoffs. Beeg Yoshi as some would call him has grown into a top prospect and will be looking to continue that growth as the S56 Simulation Hockey League Draft happens soon.

In terms of the Simulation Hockey League Draft, Vaseline Podcalzone could be an interesting one to watch. This draft class seems pretty decent but not overly stacked per se. This draft has many well known players from past agencies and some solid first generation players which Vaseline Podcalzone is. If a team sees the personality and potential growth factor in Podcalzone, he could go in the second round of the draft which would be a great place to pick up the young Russian. Most would project Podcalzone to be a late second rounder early third at this stage. All it would take is for one team to really see Podcalzone’s value to take him higher. Everyone on the Newfoundland Berserkers would vouch for selecting Podcalzone.

Statistics
Regular Season: Vaseline Podcalzone NL RW 50 2 6 8  33 HITS
Playoffs: Vaseline Podcalzone NL RW 17 0 4 4 20 HITS

Strengths: Hitting, checking, and ability to get open.
Weakness: Playmaking ability, some skating issues, and risk involved with being a first generation player.

Overall, our assessment is that Podcalzone will be an underrated prospect and would make any team happy. Podcalzone will more than likely be under drafted and be seen as a great pick by anyone who selects him. Based on the ties, we would guess maybe the Chicago Syndicate or Minnesota Chiefs trying to grab Podcalzone if he manages to fall.

“Pod has been a great addition to our locker room. He has come in and worked hard and given off his beeg energy. He is known as Beeg Yoshi in our locker room and he definitely brings it. To me, he is pretty underrated and not really that talked about outside of our team but I believe more eyes will be on him sooner than later. I think he will get drafted later than he should be and be a massive steal when the league looks back on the S56 Simulation Hockey League Entry Draft. Overall, I am impressed with how he has fit in and gone to work. He reminds me a bit of myself having to play limited minutes in our rookie season on a great team, but obviously, the difference is he won the cup in his rookie season. I would say we are kind of different players but he definitely fits better in the bottom 6 than I did last season with his physical style. I know whoever drafts Beeg will be extremely happy.”

Jonas Kahnwald

[Image: 8475176.jpg]
Jonas Kahnwald is a right defenseman from Leipzig, Germany. The defenseman stands at 5’8 and weighs in at 175 pounds. Jonas is built to be an all-around defenseman who has great defensive and offensive hockey IQ. Jonas Kahnwald’s National Hockey League comparison would be Ryan Ellis in terms of playing style. Jonas Kahnwald has great skating ability as well as defensive positioning and awareness. He has also shown he is capable of moving the puck as well as getting shots through. Overall Jonas Kahnwald is a do it all defenseman and will likely be the defenseman of the future for the Newfoundland Berserkers. Jonas Kahnwald was drafted in the S55 Simulation Major Junior Hockey League Draft 15th overall in the second round by the Newfoundland Berserkers. The Newfoundland Berserkers targeted Kahnwald as someone they wanted and were ecstatic when he was there on 15th overall. Kahnwald has ties to a member of the Berserkers coaching staff which is why the Newfoundland Berserkers were interested and excited to have him. Since being drafted to Newfoundland, Jonas fit into the locker room perfectly and brought a mature, professional attitude to the team. Jonas was counted on as a third pairing defenseman and held his own throughout the season. Jonas Kahnwald managed to produce pretty well for a third pairing defenseman on a stacked Newfoundland Berserker team. Jonas managed to record 6 goals, 9 assists for 15 points in 50 games on the Berserkers third pairing. Additionally, Jonas recorded 12 takeaways which are pretty decent for a rookie defenseman. Jonas was 6th in overall rookie scoring this season in his limited minutes and role on a stacked Berserkers roster. Kahnwald managed to play both well offensively and defensively which means next season in an elevated role, he should see major growth in his game. During the Newfoundland Berserkers, Four Star Championship run Kahnwald recorded 1 goal and 6 assists for 7 points in 17 games as well as a plus 12 rating. Kahnwald was all over the ice both offensively and defensively and scored a big goal for the Berserkers to help them with the Four Star Cup. Overall, Jonas Kahnwald proved he is capable of playing in both ends of the ice and will be a force next season.

For the upcoming S56 Simulation Hockey League Entry Draft Jonas Kahnwald finds himself as one of the top defense prospects. Kahnwald is also one of the best first generation players which also comes with some risks. Some teams value first generation players more which would mean Kahnwald could be drafted high, but with this draft being so recreate heavy, it is hard to palace Kahnwald. From our perspective, Jonas Kahnwald should be a top five selection in this draft. He reminds us of a top five pick from last season Ryu Jones who went to Toronto. While different positions on the ice, both prospects were first generation, performed well, earned well and are locker room people. Kahnwald’s potential is through the roof and with a Four Star Championship under his belt, he will be hungry for more success. We would project Kahnwald to be a first round prospect for sure, maybe even a top 5 or 7 pick depending. Kahnwald should be a top five pick but you never know with the Simulation Hockey League Draft.

Statistics
Regular Season: Jonas Kahnwald NL RD 50 6 9 15  12 TKA 
Playoffs: Jonas Kahnwald NL RD 17 1 6 7  +12

Strengths: Balanced all-around defenseman, top earner, and a first generation player.
Weaknesses: physicality and  risk involved with first generation players

Overall, our assessment of Kahnwald is that Simulation Hockey League teams will value him highly. He will be a top prospect and will continue to earn well and be one of the top players in his class. In the next few seasons, Kahnwald will be the top guy on the Berserkers defense core and one day probably be the captain. Kahnwald has impressed early in his career and we do not see him slowing down anytime soon.

"Jonas came in seamlessly and fit in right away. He kind of reminds me of a young Minamino but a defenseman. Jonas came in with a good attitude and the desire to become better. He trained hard once he declared for the S55 Simulation Major Junior Hockey League Draft and continued once we drafted him. I believe he is one of if not the top prospect in this draft in my opinion. I know there are a lot of “sexy” names out there for top prospects that have come from well known agencies. But Jonas being a first generation prospect with high earning, a good attitude, and his sky high potential to me makes him better than the rest. Although I am obviously biased, he is earning at a top rate and performed extremely well on a Four Star Cup Championship team. I expect Jonas to have an excellent season next season and be able to be an amazing two-way defenseman in the future for the Newfoundland Berserkers and whichever Simulation Hockey League team is smart enough to draft him.”

The Newfoundland Berserkers just finished winning their first ever Four Star Cup Championship in franchise history and managed to produce two quality prospects for the S56 Simulation Hockey League Entry Draft. The Berserkers have done an amazing job drafting, developing, and retaining talent for the past few seasons which is shown by their excellent S53 and S54 draft classes. The Newfoundland Berserkers have focused on winning but also put a lot of focus on drafting good locker room people and everyone that joins their locker room fits in extremely well. Jonas Kahnwald and Vaseline Podcalzone were no different and were two unknowns coming into the season and have blossomed under the Newfoundland Berserker watch. Jonas Kahnwald and Vaseline Podcalzone will be extremely good Simulation Hockey League prospects and everyone in Newfoundland will vouch for either of them. It will be interesting to see where these two Four Star Cup Champions land. The next steps are to get drafted to a Simulation Hockey League and come back to Newfoundland to attempt to win back to back Four Star Cup Championships. These two guys are considered the next wave of Newfoundland Berserkers who will carry the torch with their Four Star Cup experience for future Berserker draft classes, especially in two seasons from now when they will be the leaders once the current S55 Four Star Cup Champion Berserkers head out to the Simulation Hockey League.

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52