Create Account

CHN: Reviewing the First Round (2x Draft Media)
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 02:07 AM by Rotti.)

2X DRAFT MEDIA
[Image: Crodie_Hockey_Network.png]

Another season come and gone, and another new crop of major junior prospects have found their way into SHL organizations. This draft was a good one, with legitimate prospects being drafted all the way into the third round. I figured to help myself afford equipment next season, and learn some new names around the league, I'd take a look at the top 10 picks of the first round and do some writing about them.

PICK ONE: TAMPA BAY BARRACUDA   Barracuda
Aleksander Kozlov, Center, St. Louis Scarecrows  Scarecrows 
The first overall pick was not a for sure thing this season up until the week before the draft. Kozlov, FlappyGiraffe on the site, is a 2nd generation recreate, and hit 2000+ TPE on his last player. This pedigree, along with max earning already with Aleksander, makes this a knockout pick. He'll join the insanely stacked Tampa Bay pipeline, and hope to turn things around on the ice in a few season. 
PICK TWO: TORONTO NORTH STARS  Stars 
Evangelos Giannopoulos, Left Defenseman, Detroit Falcons  Falcons 
The Crodie himself, Evangelos Giannaopoulos goes by none other than JSS on the site. JSS is a locker room presence for sure, boasting a ton of activity, and a great will to make a sick player. His former player, Flacko Lagerfield, was one of the best, if not the best, player in the SHL on the Hamilton Steelhawks for a few years. Assuming JSS is as active on his player as he is in the locker room, this pick will help shore up the 1B to Tampa Bay's 1A in terms of the best prospect pools in the SHL. 
PICK THREE: MINNESOTA CHIEFS  Chiefs 
ROCK STRONGO, LEFT WING, COLORADO RAPTORS  Raptors  
Here comes a big one, the OG of SHL, Leafs4ever goes to the Chiefs. It really doesn't get more surefire than this guy in terms of SHL talent, as he's had 4 successful players in the league, Strongo making a hopeful 5. Strongo put up some seriously insane numbers in the J, notching 32 points as a rookie, which I honestly can't even wrap my mind around. How does that happen? I had 8 points as a rookie, and this guy just put up more points than I did on my 425. I guess thats why you take a guy like leafs in the 3rd, big time pedigree. 
PICK FOUR: NEW ENGLAND WOLFPACK (VIA ATLANTA-->HAMILTON) Wolfpack 
CALVIN HOBBES, RIGHT WINGER, MAINE TIMBER Timber 
Hobbes makes the 3rd forward taken in the top 4 picks, and starts a back to back pick for the Wolfpack. The Wolfpack are going through a retooling phase at the moment, but even with that almost found themselves making the playoffs, being eliminated on the last sim of the season. Hobbes put up 13 points for the Timber, almost winning the 4-star cup in his first season. He'll be a big part of this Woflpack team when he gets called up, and can hopefully bring them back to a perennial contender status.
PICK FIVE: NEW ENGLAND WOLFPACK (VIA SEATTLE)  Wolfpack  
GRANDMASTER FUNK, LEFT DEFENSEMAN, NEVADA BATTLEBORN  Battleborn 
The back end to The Wolfpack's back to back picks comes in Grandmaster Funk. Funk is the first Battleborn player ever drafted into the SHL, what a cool tidbit! As the Wolfpack went with a forward prospect at four, it only makes sense that they'll grab a blue-line defender at five. Funk and Hobbes are two great picks back to back, and I'm sure they'll both feature for the Wolfpack sometime soon in the future. The re-tool is looking promising in New England for sure!
PICK SIX: TAMPA BAY BARRACUDA (VIA BALTIMORE)  Barracuda 
VLADIMIR PETROV, CENTER, ANCHORAGE ARMADA  Armada 
The first of the legendary S56 Petrovs come off the boardm with Vladimir packing his bags and heading to Tampa Bay. Muford on the site, Vladimir has a long history on the site, featuring as a player with a long career for Toronto. Believe it or not, this made 6 different J teams producing a prospect in the top 6, with more SMJHL squads being featured in the top 6 than SHL squads! That kind of looks stupid on paper, I don't know how to word it. But you know what I mean. Great pick, Vlad brings a great locker room presence on top of great earning potential. He'll also see some of his family members go later in the draft!
PICK SEVEN: SAN FRANCISCO PRIDE  pride 
YNGVE SIMONSSON, LEFT WING, DETROIT FALCONS  Falcons 
Another recreate off the board, this time its JP, a long time Hamilton Steelhawk, and the creator of the original San Francisco Pride. Yngve makes the 2nd Falcon taken in the top 10. San Fran has a lot of work to do in terms of rebuilding their team, with heavy cap fines levied against them, a ton of backup games to be played, and a new management group taking the team over. JP will likely be a big voice in the locker room, and will help the Pride get back into contention in the SHL. 
PICK EIGHT: LOS ANGELES PANTHERS  Panthers 
JONAS KAHNWALD, RIGHT DEFENSEMAN, NEWFOUNDLAND BERSERKERS  Berserkers  
The first member of the S56 championship squad off the board, Kahnwald looks to be a great defensive defenseman, sporting a 2:1 TKA/GVA ratio in his rookie season. Kahnwald does find himself drafted into a funky situation, as the Panthers are just hitting a large rebuild. The Panthers may have started their rebuild a season too late, still competing decent this season, but not making the playoffs. Los Angeles is losing a bunch of players this offseason, and with some aging players still on the team, it's going to be a while before they start making deep playoff runs again. Compound that with both GM's stepping down in the past few days, the team is at a crossroads. I'm sure they'll find some good voices to take over and lead the team, and if this pick is anything to show of whats to come, they're already on the right track. 
PICK NINE: WINNIPEG JETS  Jets 
JASPER MAXIMOV, LEFT DEFENSEMAN, QUEBEC CITY CITADELLES  Citadelles 
And now, for the first time in Quebec City Citadelles history, a player has been drafted! Maximov comes off the board at 9 for Winnipeg! This makes 8 different J teams having players drafted in the top 9! Maximov appears to be the exact opposite of Kahnwald, featuring as an offensive threat from the blue line. He bagged 18 points in his rookie season, nothing to sneeze at, and will hope to bring that offensive production to Winnipeg in a few seasons.
PICK TEN: HAMILTON STEELHAWKS  Steelhawks 
SARAH BURKE, RIGHT DEFENSE, VANCOVER WHALERS  Whalers 
A great value pick here for Hammy, as they pick up a future defensive piece. This pick also makes the first woman drafted in S56, and the 9th SMJHL team to be drafted from! I don't know if this happens every draft and I'm just being dumb, but its a pretty good sign that 9 teams could produce top 10 picks this season. Sarah appears to be a defensive defenseman, almost putting up a 2:1 TKA/GVA ratio in her rookie season. The Steelhawks got a good one here. 
PICK ELEVEN: TEXAS RENEGADES  Renegades  
SLAVA PETROV, LEFT WING, ANCHORAGE ARMADA  Armada 
The second Petrov off the board in S56 is Slava, a winger who featured in a great Anchorage team in their rookie season. Texas is just starting to hit their stride after a few seasons of rebuilding, so at this point they're looking to draft great locker room personalities on top of great developing players. I'm excited to see how this Texas teams starts competing against some of the big dogs in the West, and while they aren't on the level of NOLA and Edmonton yet, I'd say they're looking to make the playoffs every season for the near future. 
PICK TWELVE: TAMPA BAY BARRACUDA  Barracuda 
KNOCKEDOUT BYOVECHKIN, RIGHT WING, VANCOUVER WHALERS  Whalers 
The second player drafted from Vancouver, and Tampa's third pick of the first round, Byovechkin is yet another great pick by Tampa. This rebuild could've gone really wrong, but Trella has done a great job with stocking up on picks, and grabbing some seriously good first round talent in the past two drafts. Given the name, I'm sure ByOvechkin will feature as an enforcer for the Barracuda when he gets called up, and you can never have enough of those guys on the ice (except when you have more than three thats illegal).
PICK THIRTEEN: CALGARY DRAGONS  Dragons  
SACHIMO ZOIDBERG III, LEFT DEFENSEMAN, NEVADA BATTLEBORN  Battleborn 
Although Nevada didn't have the best season in S55, getting swept in the first round, it appears they've done a great job drafting first round SHL talent. Zoidberg is the 2nd player to go from Nevada, and has displayed a puck moving defenseman style in the J his rookie year. He'll look to be a call-up for an aging Calgary team, and was a knockout pick at thirteen for the Dragons. 
PICK FOURTEEN: NEW ENGLAND WOLFPACK  Wolfpack 
TEYLORA PETROV, LEFT DEFENSEMAN, QUEBEC CITY CITADELLES  Citadelles
That makes the third Petrov off the board in S56, with Teylora going to the Pack. The Woflpack also make their third pick of the first round here, with Tampa and New England making 7/18 picks in this round. The Citadelles also produce another first rounder, with both pairs of expansion gm's clearly having a great eye for future talent. Teylora is a two way defenseman, who while putting up a -14 +/-, also had some solid defensive stats with 22 TKA's and 49 shots blocked. 

PICK FIFTEEN: SEATTLE ARGONAUTS  Argonauts
DEE CENTERMAN, CENTER, VANCOVER WHALERS  Whalers

And with the first pick in Seattle Argonauts history...here comes Dee Centerman! Grok is a great pick here at 15, and quite a steal for Seattle's first pick. He has a large role in the Whalers leadership structure, and I could see him serving the same way in Seattle management. He didn't put up insane stats as a rookie in the J, but its the intangibles this kid's got that are going to make him a star some day. Tig starts off with a good one, and can be proud of his first ever pick with the new team. 

PICK SIXTEEN: LOS ANGELES PANTHERS  Panthers
VILLI AFALVA, RIGHT DEFENSEMAN, NEVADA BATTLEBORN  Battleborn

Los Angeles picks up their recently stepped-down GM in Wasty here. Afalva is a defensive defenseman to the core, laying 101 hits, and taking the puck away 31 times in his rookie season. He had a -29 +/-, but thats just the nature of being on an exceptionally young Nevada squad. He'll look to be a part of the LAP rebuild, even though he won't be at the helm anymore. 

PICK SEVENTEEN: TAMPA BAY BARRACUDA  Barracuda
PHILIP WEAVER, GOALIE, NEVADA BATTLEBORN  Battleborn

And there we have it, the first tendie off the board! If this kid wasn't in net, there's a good shot he goes 1OA. He's been insane this season with his media production, and is one of the bright stars of this draft class. I could see him as a GM some day, and he's going to be a great locker room presence for the Barracuda. Great pick, another seemingly smart move by Trella and Dwight here. 

PICK EIGHTEEN: SEATTLE ARGONAUTS  Argonauts
ZDENKO BERANEK, RIGHT WINGER, QUEBEC CITY CITADELLES 
Citadelles

Finishing off the first round, we have Zdenko Beranek! Tig makes his 2nd pick of the draft, and this looks like a great pick to me. Quebec City and Nevada have now made up 7 of the top 18 prospects to go in this draft, a great job by them to breed the future of the league. Beranek put up 21 points in his rookie season, and will look to make some deep playoff runs in the next few seasons with QCC before being called up as the first draft class in Argonauts history!

There you have it, CHN's first, first round review. 

Code:
2500 words, ready for grading.

[Image: rotti.gif]

Crodie Hockey Network lets get it

@JSS

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]