Create Account

Hamilton Offseason Recap
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020, 03:58 AM by 5ympathies.)

Code:
2x Draft Media, WC: 2087 + research

Wagwan crodies. Unfortunately for all of my fans my supreme meme article that was scheduled to be released tomorrow must be delayed. Because I really want to work on it some more and make it real special. Also I need to figure out how to make some bomb ass graphs and charts and really add some more flare to it. So here I am just back to rambling and heavily increasing the word count to earn some more money before my favourite time of the season departs us (2x media season). The longer I stay in this league, the more I realize that quantity over quality is and always has been the key, and plus I don't want to get shamed by these rookies with 30 mil in the bank after being on the site for a month. I will never understand how they manage to do it.

What am I going to be discussing today? you might ask. Well today I am going to be talking about all of the moves that Hamilton made yesterday and my thoughts on them, and potentially I may even make a few trade tree pictures because there have been a LOT of moves made yesterday. Where to begin? I guess we should start before the draft, maybe chronologically? maybe in the order of importance? or maybe just in the order that I can recall events.

We're going to do chronological-ish.

The first move in a long series of moves was a few days after the expansion draft. We traded the rights of our IA backup, Ian Venables, to Tampa Bay for a 4th (65th overall). With that 4th round pick we selected resident meme boy Samee. Is anybody surprised that A) we drafted him and B) he was available so low? no. Nobody is surprised. This move was beneficial in the cap sense as well as TBB re-signed him for $3 mil and as I will later touch upon, we signed a backup goalie for $500k, clearing up the eventual much needed space of $2.5 mil.

That same day, in fact earlier in the day (so i've already fucked up the chronological order), we lost a dear friend of mine. Goldenglutes had become the Co-GM of the Atlanta Inferno and we we forced to trade him over. Despite being in a position with absolutely no leverage, we still came out with a solid return (and if I end up making a trade tree picture, this is the trade that starts it all). This trade tree is so messy, with the return being traded for something else which was traded for something else which was traded for someone else. But let's start with something simple. In return for him, we got a future third round pick (which is fine, nothing special), d-man Guy O'Shea, with ATL retaining $1 mil (lol), which we so desperately needed after losing three defense-man at this time in the off-season (Tig becoming SEA GM and taking 44, glutes being ATL co-GM). The cap space being retained by ATL, was also instrumental in being able to make so many other moves this off-season. Lastly, we received Atlanta's first round pick (4OA).

That fourth overall pick was traded just two days later to my old team, New England. In return for the 4 OA, we dropped down to 10 OA and received our own first in S57. A free first just to move down 6 spots? Seems like a great deal to me. Of course, you may be thinking, you just dropped 6 spots for a low first, probably a pick in the 14-18th spot range. But that didn't matter. We needed that pick, specifically our own pick, in order to make another move, which I will touch upon later.

If we go back two days, to the same day (maybe an hour or two after we traded glutes) we traded with ATL, we traded two seconds (S57 and S58) to San Fran for Ray Bork, an important piece moving forward as he will fill the gap that Tig left behind when he went to make his own team.

Moving along, Sunday and Monday were the two biggest days this off-season. To start, the first one of the morning, we signed Theo Morgan for two seasons at $6 mil each. To some this was a surprise, to others not so much. Edmonton management gave teams permission to speak with him early so they could know if they were going to protect him in the expansion draft or not, and word had spread to Hamilton members weeks earlier that talks were going well between both parties. Just minutes after this signing went live, a much bigger thing happened.

The second ever offer sheet in the history of the league was announced. Hamilton offer sheeting Bork Lazer, a S54 defense-man for just $1 under $6 mil. Keeping him under $6 million meant that all we had to give up was a first round pick. It needed to be a first round Hamilton pick for the next season, and luckily, just a day or two earlier, we had acquired that pick back when trading with New England and dropping 6 spots in the draft. What an odd coincidence. Nola didn't have the cap space to match the offer, and thus were forced to watch him leave in exchange for a low first (once again most likely in the 14-18th range). Isn't it weird how both offer sheets in the history of the site ever were both done by Hallsy?

Once the draft was underway, there were a few pick trades between Buffalo and Edmonton, but nothing of real interest. Just moving some seconds around, nothing too exciting.

One of my favourite signings on Monday was for Loco. Since we traded the rights to Venables (our previous backup goalie) a few days earlier, we needed a new backup. Most importantly we needed a cheap backup. Gabe managed to get Guarda (Loco) to sign for $500k and all it took was a few minutes for him to remember his password. Members of the Newfoundland Berserkers were not impressed as Loco was their goalie, and Hamilton calling him up to play really made a mess for them.

There were many more signings this day including a whopping $9.5 million contract for coveted FA Michael Scarn. I'm sure every team in the league made him an offer, but ultimately he went for the largest one offered. One that I believe is the highest contract amount ever? One year deal, pretty standard for him, and if Hamilton ends up winning the cup, I'm sure he wouldn't mind sticking around for another season or two. One thing that he mentioned was that although the money definitely helped, a large factor driving his decision was the potential for him to improve. Every season for the past 5 seasons, his point totals have been increasing, and he is for sure wanting that trend to continue. He will most likely be playing centre for my line with Morgan and I am definitely excited to see what we can do.

The last true FA signing I'll discuss before moving on to more interesting things like trades and other signings is Nour. Nour received a lot of attention from various teams, all telling him their vision and how they expect for things to be in the future. But cmon. Every team must have expected for him to sign back in Hamilton. Saying otherwise and you're lying. Teams of course must do their due diligence and at least put the offer out on the table (thats part of being a GM) but they can't be disappointed when he made the decision that everyone expected him to make. Signing at $4 mil for 3 seasons, he will continue to be a part of our team for the future.

Next up was something exciting. I know there was a lull of just signing after signing, non stop. Other GMs must have been thinking when will it end (also it must be super obnoxious making all of them each have their own post huh?). San Francisco wouldn't trade us back our second and so we weren't able to make the second offer sheet of the off season, but instead we offered our own first round pick (not even for next season, but for S59) and traded for the rights of Rotticus Scott, a Chicago RFA. He wasn't enjoying his time in Chicago and according to him, rarely ever spoke with anyone in the LR. Chicago management allegedly knew that he wasn't going to sign with them, but made no effort to shop around for him? Unknown. That part is a little speculation based on the poor return, but it worked out better for us so I can't really complain. After acquiring his rights, we immediately turned around and signed him for 3 seasons at $3 mil each. Rotti, a S54 LW, will be a great prospect to have in our system, as he is currently 7th in TPE production for his class.

The next trade made by Hamilton was to Seattle. We traded Knute Knurtsson, an inactive forward with a cap hit of $5 mil, along with a S57 and S59 Winnipeg second in exchange for Chico Smeb, a S46 D-man with roughly the same TPE as Knurtsson, with 50% of his cap hit retained. In essence, we traded a forward for a d-man, which we so desperately needed, but also cut the cap hit down from $5 mil to $2 mil. Almost every trade Hamilton made, they structured it in a way that would save them money, and then went ahead and spent that extra money on FA's.

One of the last trades of the day, was an absolute finesse over Baltimore. We sent them both Adam Friedland, a pretty good prospect that we could no longer afford along with Jagger Fourquette, a retiring inactive forward, who we also could no longer afford. Friedland was about to become a RFA that we wouldn't be able to re-sign and trading Fourquette would save us $3 mil this season. In exchange for this cap dump, Baltimore did not ask for anything from us. In fact, they gave us a second round pick in S57, and a conditional third in S58. Pretty good return for players whose salaries we needed to cut. Also Ben Waters has not gotten a contract from BAP. RIP.

Before I discuss the last trade we made, I want to start by discussing our draft. In the first round we drafted Sarah Burke, according to some teams a good defensive prospect, according to other teams, a reach at 10 OA. We drafted Sarah primarily because at that point JSS had been selected 2nd overall by Toronto, and JP had been taken 7th overall by San Francisco. Regardless, we thought she would be a good pick and we were happy to invite her onto our team. By the next evening, rumours had come out that Jeffie, Toronto's top prospect had requested a trade, and following that, JSS wanted to leave if Jeffie was going to leave. This was the ideal situation for Hamilton. JSS is a lifer for the organization, with his most recent player set to become a first ballot Hall of Famer. Once JSS was on the block, Hamilton moved swiftly in order to insure his return to the team. Toronto then agreed to trade JSS for Sarah, one for one. It was a shame having to move on from Sarah after only a day, but we had to do what was necessary in order to secure JSS. Plus, JSS took $500k less than Sarah, so now we can sign Samee too.

And there you have it. My recap of Hamilton's insane moves this past weekend. This potentially, may be the best roster that Hamilton has ever iced, and from last season going from 2 or 3 legitimate prospects, to closer to 5 or 6, it is looking like a good future as well. And now that my energy has been zapped out of me, I guess I won't be making that trade tree picture. I can only hope that my words were enough.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

Sadly 9,500,000 doesn’t even sniff the highest ever.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

09-17-2020, 01:18 AMKeygan Wrote: Sadly 9,500,000 doesn’t even sniff the highest ever.

what was the biggest contract?

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

09-17-2020, 12:30 AM5ympathies Wrote: Plus, JSS took $500k less than Sarah, so now we can sign Samee too.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here...

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020, 07:23 AM by dankoa.)

there's definitely been contracts in the 16 mil range iirc, i've personally paid an FA 10 mil before too

edit: here's a 21 mil contract so i was way too low lel

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020, 10:48 AM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

09-17-2020, 07:20 AMdankoa Wrote: there's definitely been contracts in the 16 mil range iirc, i've personally paid an FA 10 mil before too

Didnt walrus pay himself 20 mil one season?

Also im pretty sure Minny paid Blues something like that too and then he retired Hmm

Edit: nvm walrus was 15 mil https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid2149963

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020, 11:35 AM by Hallsy.)

There definitely was a 20mil+ contract in the S20s. I forget who though.

09-17-2020, 11:35 AMHallsy Wrote: There definitely was a 20mil+ contract in the S20s. I forget who though.
i linked it above wtf

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

09-17-2020, 11:37 AMdankoa Wrote:
09-17-2020, 11:35 AMHallsy Wrote: There definitely was a 20mil+ contract in the S20s. I forget who though.
i linked it above wtf

There was another one, Schultzy got a similar amount too.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=11096319]

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]

09-17-2020, 07:20 AMdankoa Wrote: there's definitely been contracts in the 16 mil range iirc, i've personally paid an FA 10 mil before too

Yeah as soon as I read that I immediately thought about JT giving out a 21m contract with the remainder of Minny's cap that season

This article is more of a SHamilton than anything

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

09-17-2020, 11:50 AMKeygan Wrote:
09-17-2020, 11:37 AMdankoa Wrote: i linked it above wtf

Yeah I'm pretty sure I paid Schultzy like $25M.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

09-17-2020, 11:50 AMKeygan Wrote:
09-17-2020, 11:37 AMdankoa Wrote: i linked it above wtf

Ya, I think schultzy got more i could be wrong though. I think someone got 25 million once.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....fin+simons

Blues 20 mil

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]