Create Account

S55 SHL Awards Show

09-18-2020, 10:19 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
09-18-2020, 10:09 PMgoldenglutes Wrote: That might be true for SBs, but this is how many hits were on each team:

[Image: W0zsCys.png]

Interesting, but as I just laid out in my previous post this pattern doesn't hold up when looking at individual numbers.

And all the other stats are extremely inflated for players on good teams. Especially shots, points and Corsi. Excluding players on half of the teams just because they're teams aren't good feels really shitty. There should at least be the possibility to win something if your teams isn't all that competitive.
Also, I don't get how a player with more than 1 point per game can be considered for a defensive defenseman award. Why are clearly offensively minded defensemen even considered for the Bojo?

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2020, 05:24 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

09-19-2020, 02:38 AMSegi Wrote:
09-18-2020, 10:19 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Interesting, but as I just laid out in my previous post this pattern doesn't hold up when looking at individual numbers.

And all the other stats are extremely inflated for players on good teams. Especially shots, points and Corsi. Excluding players on half of the teams just because they're teams aren't good feels really shitty. There should at least be the possibility to win something if your teams isn't all that competitive.
Also, I don't get how a player with more than 1 point per game can be considered for a defensive defenseman award. Why are clearly offensively minded defensemen even considered for the Bojo?

Well I for one (and I'm sure most other voters as well) didn't discount any players merely for being on a bad team, and we certainly don't exclude people for not making the playoffs. But when looking at someones stats I try to ask myself what they mean in context of their teams situation and to me its quite an obvious pattern that many people near the top of the Hits or SB lists at least partially seem to be there because their team doesn't have the puck a lot, so they get shelled with shots that they can then block or have a lot of opportunities to hit. Like, the Top-5 Blockers come from MIN, BAP and TBB, all of them with +/- of -25 or worse, the three on TBB even with worse than -50. Only one player in the Top-10 of that category has a positive plus-minus, in fact he is the only one better than -15.

Now +/- isn't a very useful stat, but here it shows you that the leaderboard for this specific category (SB) is full with players that got scored on a lot. The same goes for peoples Corsi which is bad for most players I just mentioned, although the picture is a bit more mixed here. So yeah, a guy with a -32, a Corsi below 30 (and rel Corsi that is just slightly positive) is not what I'm looking for in a top-defensive defenseman, just because he has a lot of blocks and good takeaways. Ice-time is also a factor here, at 28 minutes a night Seger played significantly more than his competition, although this stat does work both ways, inflating his stats in general but also making some aspects of his performance a bit more impressive, I grant you that.

You have a point too that being on a good team does not work against players as much as being on a bad team. This might be something we need to factor in a bit in the future as it becomes clear that in the FHM-era, your teams situation impacts your numbers much more than in the STHS era when scoring titles would relatively regularly go to players on mediocre teams. This isn't the case anymore so I do think we need to take a look not just at players raw numbers but at how impressive they are compared to their teammates. It's something that I've seen happen quite a bit with Awards but especially All-Star-Teams that has annoyed me as well, where spots can go to players with impressive raw scoring numbers who are just third in their teams scoring, over a guy with 5 fewer points total but who carried his entire team because the next player on his squad has like 15 points less, which happened for players even on good teams. That is definitely something that needs to be factored in more in the future which I already try to do, but regularly miss as well. I would also argue however that having a certain tilt towards the good teams in an Awards process is good and normal. We do after all want to honor the very best players in the league in a season, and helping your team be one of the better squads in the league is an important factor in this equation.

And to your last point: I for one only use points as a cut-off criteria, I exclude people with very few points to shorten my list a bit but after that I don't look at points at all for the Bojo. Whether a player has a lot of points or not doesn't matter and I certainly won't hold it against someone if he managed to rack up some points as well as a side product of his strong performance in his own end that gives his team a lot of possession, as happened this year and seems to be more prevalent in FHM than it was in STHS.

And lastly: I for one would be open to releasing the full nomination lists again as we have sometimes done in the past, I think it always makes for some good discussion and helps make the Awards Committees thought processes clearer, especially when you see that some people werent completely snubbed by everyone but just narrowly missed out by a vote or two. Especially the Bojo and the Dar are among the most complicated Awards too where there is the biggest variation in peoples ballots and some of my colleagues on the committee have decidedly different criteria there than I do and voted for very different people. For example, for the Dar Trophy for best two-way-forward only one of my nominees made it, and three people on my ballot didn't even get a vote from anyone else.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2020, 11:31 AM by hhh81.)

People have requested greater transparency from SMJHL Awards, and we've provided that through expanded explanations for finalists as well as final vote totals. Will you be releasing final vote totals?

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

09-19-2020, 05:12 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
09-19-2020, 02:38 AMSegi Wrote: And all the other stats are extremely inflated for players on good teams. Especially shots, points and Corsi. Excluding players on half of the teams just because they're teams aren't good feels really shitty. There should at least be the possibility to win something if your teams isn't all that competitive.

Well I for one (and I'm sure most other voters as well) didn't discount any players merely for being on a bad team, and we certainly don't exclude people for not making the playoffs. But when looking at someones stats I try to ask myself what they mean in context of their teams situation and to me its quite an obvious pattern that many people near the top of the Hits or SB lists at least partially seem to be there because their team doesn't have the puck a lot, so they get shelled with shots that they can then block or have a lot of opportunities to hit. Like, the Top-5 Blockers come from MIN, BAP and TBB, all of them with +/- of -25 or worse, the three on TBB even with worse than -50. Only one player in the Top-10 of that category has a positive plus-minus, in fact he is the only one better than -15.

Yes, SB are obviously higher while playing on bad teams, but it's also basically impossible to get a good corsi or a positive +/- on a bad team. So if you value these stats any more than SB, you practically make it impossible to be nominated as long as you're on a bad team.

Quote:Now +/- isn't a very useful stat, but here it shows you that the leaderboard for this specific category (SB) is full with players that got scored on a lot. The same goes for peoples Corsi which is bad for most players I just mentioned, although the picture is a bit more mixed here. So yeah, a guy with a -32, a Corsi below 30 (and rel Corsi that is just slightly positive) is not what I'm looking for in a top-defensive defenseman, just because he has a lot of blocks and good takeaways. Ice-time is also a factor here, at 28 minutes a night Seger played significantly more than his competition, although this stat does work both ways, inflating his stats in general but also making some aspects of his performance a bit more impressive, I grant you that.

The main point I have against this is that the best way to get a good corsi and +/- is to never be in your own zone. A good defensive defenseman shouldn't be a player who plays almost all of his shifts in the opponent's zone. A good defensive defenseman should be a player who is very solid in his own zone.

Quote:You have a point too that being on a good team does not work against players as much as being on a bad team. This might be something we need to factor in a bit in the future as it becomes clear that in the FHM-era, your teams situation impacts your numbers much more than in the STHS era when scoring titles would relatively regularly go to players on mediocre teams. This isn't the case anymore so I do think we need to take a look not just at players raw numbers but at how impressive they are compared to their teammates. It's something that I've seen happen quite a bit with Awards but especially All-Star-Teams that has annoyed me as well, where spots can go to players with impressive raw scoring numbers who are just third in their teams scoring, over a guy with 5 fewer points total but who carried his entire team because the next player on his squad has like 15 points less, which happened for players even on good teams. That is definitely something that needs to be factored in more in the future which I already try to do, but regularly miss as well. I would also argue however that having a certain tilt towards the good teams in an Awards process is good and normal. We do after all want to honor the very best players in the league in a season, and helping your team be one of the better squads in the league is an important factor in this equation.

I don't disagree that it's not surprising to see a majority of nominations and awards going to players on good teams. I don't think, an MVP should ever come from a team that missed the playoffs for example. But it should be possible to be recognized as one of the best players in a certain category, even if you aren't on a good team.

Quote:And to your last point: I for one only use points as a cut-off criteria, I exclude people with very few points to shorten my list a bit but after that I don't look at points at all for the Bojo. Whether a player has a lot of points or not doesn't matter and I certainly won't hold it against someone if he managed to rack up some points as well as a side product of his strong performance in his own end that gives his team a lot of possession, as happened this year and seems to be more prevalent in FHM than it was in STHS.

I'm not necessarily saying, points should be a cutoff criteria for the Bojo, but I am saying, the Bojo should be an award for defensive defensemen, as is in the name. And defensive defensemen just don't score over a point per game. There should at least be a look at what roles the players played on the team. There already is an award for high scoring defensemen, the Bojo doesn't need to be a second one.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

09-19-2020, 09:11 AMhhh81 Wrote: People have requested greater transparency from SMJHL Awards, and we've provided that through expanded explanations for finalists as well as final vote totals. Will you be releasing final vote totals?
First place votes = 5
Second Place Votes = 3
Third/last place = 1

* = Unanimous (35 points)
** = Won on tie-breaker (most first place votes)

Ron Mexico
Monkey D. Luffy (23)
Daniel Smeb (21)
Aaron Wilson (19)

John McBride
Elizabeth Doyle (20)
Frans Eller (20)
Peter Larson (21)
Emiko Spector (7)

Scott Stevens
Karlstrasse Scholz (35)*
Poopity Scoop (15)
Parker Smeb (13)

Ryan Jesster
Frans Eller (31)
Cal Labovitch (11)
Magnus Liljestrom (21)

Jeff Dar
Andreas Kvalheim (25)
Hippo Passamus (15)
Tony Pepperoni (23)

Bojo Biscuit
Brennan Kennedy Jr. (23)
Karlstrasse Scholz (17)
Alexander Selich (23)**

Aidan Richan
Elijah Jones (17)
Bo Kane (29)
Jimmy Slothface (17)

Anton Razov
Elizabeth Doyle (27)
Rex Kirkby (11)
Monkey D. Luffy (25)

Lance Uppercut
Buffalo (19)
Edmonton Blizzard (29)
Manhattan Rage (15)

Joe McKeil
Buffalo Stampede (29)
Manhattan Rage (23)
Texas Renegades (11)

Damian Littleton
Carpy (7)
JR95 (11)
luketd (35)*
nour (17)

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]