Create Account

S56 SMJHL PT #1 - Training Days

Noah Johns III had been delighted to had been drafted by his dad's last team. HE had heard nothing but good about the place. And well after the first team practice and finding out about the guys around the locker room how could you not love the place? The people are great and the teammates are nothing but caring and friendly. This team is also very talented. So for a team bonding exercise to help give back out to the community the team decided to head to the hospital. Once there they talked to many people and were giving back to the public! Those great fans deserved it. Noah had a few hardcore fans see him there who had watched him get picked and told stories of his dad! Overall the experience was great for him and his teammates, they bonded and gave back to the great Nevada community. Now they had to hope they could carry this into the regular season and have a great season to impress the fans!

In the basement of a bar in a rough side of St.John's, which is to say that it is a place where the paint of the houses is to the critical eye beginning to fade, Bás O'Bigbers is partaking in an old hobby of the Berserkers defensive core. Bás is partaking in his very first underground poker game. Cale Amundsen(G) and Jonas Kahnwald(D) have been given this task tonight. Coaches have been desperately attempting to get Bás to learn to play defense since the team met at training camp this week. Coaches have figured that if Bás just makes friends with some defensive sided players he'll take defense more seriously. Before the game Cale Amundsen gives Bás the run down on the game. "If you're going to sit at the table, when you win a hand don't gloat. No one likes that. Always tip the dealer after you win your second hand. Don't show your hand when you don't have to. And most importantly don't piss off Captain Hook." Captain Hook wasn't missing a hand but they just figured it was a funny nickname for an angry man who spent his life on the water. Bás nods impatiently and then they walk in.

Half an hour goes by and Bás has so far just been paying to sit at the table while Khanwald has made a decent profit and Amundsen is regretting going all in on a pocket aces hand that just didn't quite work out. Then Bás is dealt a 7 of clubs and a Jack of Clubs. The flop comes and a 8 and 10 of clubs hits the board. Bás knows he's a 9 of clubs away from a royal flush. He checks. Kahnwald raises 2,000, Amundsen folds, Bás, and Captain Hook call. The rest of the table folds. the turn comes and it's an Ace of Diamonds. Kahnwald folds but Hook raises another 3,000. Bás isn't one to think about the odds so he calls. The dealer slides the card on to the table and turns it over as slow as honey coming out of a jar. 9 of clubs. Bás jumps out of his chair screaming obscenities about he's the greatest player alive and that everyone can place their heads in a place where sunlight rarely touches. Amundsen and Kahnweld cringe, Hook snarles as descretely as he can.

The next hour is filled with Bás breaking every rule that Cale Amundsen instructed him specifically not to break.
He didn't tip the dealer after his second win which was met with a resentful glare by the dealer. He managed to break the last two rules at once. After bluffing Hook out of 800 looneys Bás revealed his hand and began laughing in his face. Hook's face turned from a snarl to curses shouted uncontrollably. He begins to remove a pocket knife and everyone at the table stands up in shock. Hook begins to scream "ALL RIGHT YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY DONE IT! LETS SEE HOW MUCH YOU LIKE LAUGHING WITH HOLES IN YA." Bás tossed his glass Jameson in his face blinding him. Bás, Cale, and Jonas began to run. What began as a run through the streets of St.Johns turned into a sloppy bar crawl that stretched well into the morning. While Bás did ruin their card game, they had to admit that their night was absolutely legendary. What a lad.

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]

The coach organized a friendly touch football tournament, to coincide with the start of professional football. I was lucky enough to be the running back of my team, alongside other rookies drafted the same year as me. Among the new players, we had :

-Vlastislav Malik as linebacker, who dominated the other team's offense on top of his 6ft 5in and 227 lbs.
-Kian Hamilton Jr. as our quarterback, throwing the ball with surprising accuracy.
-Anna Pontecorvo as our wide receiver, who flew right past any cornerbacks with her tremendous speed.

And I was named running back, for my balance as I rushed through our offensive line. The game really helped us bond as new teammates, and discover unknown talents in each other, I really think Malik could have played in the NFL, the guy looked like the Hulk out there! It's good to get a glimpse of what kind of teammates I will work with during the season. Apparently, we are a young group, people talk about rebuilds and such, the football game really helped to think about something else.

[Image: Ympmk6b.png]
[Image: KXQzCef.png]

[Image: QhAQn2i.png][Image: yIvjn4j.png][Image: iB9r7kM.png]
Huge thanks to @Carpy48 and @sulovilen for the signature!

The Battleborn did as any good Nevada based team would do, they went to Vegas for their team bonding! Each player had just received their contract, so you know they went a little wild! Jarmo Kekalainen, Shane Wright and Rude Sniff went down to MGM Grand to check out the new and improved White Tiger show. After that, they joined Helminen and Weaver at Creaser's Palace to try their hand at the high stakes blackjack table. Kenji and Tanjiro made sure that they got to try the zipline! Afterwards, the team met at the Bellagio fountains for a team photo. Of course, after a day of some adult beverages, some of the players were a bit more rowdy than usual. Bane ended up pushing Supernaw into the water, and soon after the whole team had followed suit. Security was quick to chase them out, and the team narrowly avoided arrest. They retired for the night, satisfied that they had a great time and that the team would be better for all the bonding time they had!

The Carolina Krakens are always ready to welcome the newest fledgling sea monsters to their East Coast home. Upon picking up their fresh recruits this year, they headed west for a weekend of camping in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. By selecting a location with minimal outside distractions, the team is able to come together in a very special way. Hiking and exploring the beautiful natural landscapes of the Carolinas also helps to cultivate an appreciation for their new home. The highlight of the weekend is of course the storytelling contest around the campfire. Freyja was excited to be able to tell some Scandinavian ghost stories to a fresh audience. After telling the most frightening tales she could remember, she paid a late night visit to the tent beside her. She took a long stick and used it to scratch along the side of the tent, giggling as she watched her teammates flee their tent and sprint across camp to the safety of the circle of light made by the smoldering fire.

[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: zFE0mSA.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: HKi05IH.png]

Pre-Season in Maine is a truly unique time. As a new player in from Japan, everything is so different and I can’t always understand my teammates accents. For team bonding we took a 12-mile hike into the forest to commune with the tree spirits that are our namesake. After we calmed out inner selves, things took a huge 180 where they asked us each to saw down a tree. In Japan we don't really cut down trees as a sign of respect, but when in Rome do as the Romans do. We were then told to carry our tree back to the busses, but when we got there all we found were logging trucks. I've become concerned that we were actually just doing some side hustle manual labor for the logging industry instead of team building.... but I guess it worked out being both. I will say this though, I never want to walk that far again. 

Ill be honest, I had no idea the SMJHL draft was today. I was actually focused watching football at home. So here I am sitting at home on my couch until I get a phone call. It was from the Detroit Falcons. Having no idea that the draft was today, I asked "So are you guys going to try to recruit me?" A odd silence happens for about 10 seconds before they say "Would you like to be drafted to the Detroit Falcons?" So Burnett was like "Holy shit, the draft is today!? I totally forgot." After a quick 5 seconds of embarrassment, Burnett responds with one simple word. "Yes!". And now im over here in the LR for the Detroit Falcons. For the rest of the rookies that actually remembered that the draft was today they were equally excited as I was. Right now I have literally just found where the draft was happening and hopefully won't forget for the next time I participate in one in the SHL draft.

172 Words

It started just like any other day. The team met up, we had a light practice, but then someone suggested a "team building exercise". I'm wondering what we're going to do... A ropes course? Maybe play with one of those parachutes that everyone used to love as a child in P.E. class at school? Somebody had an interesting suggestion - an escape room! What better way to build up our chemistry by locking up our whole team (which is way too large for most escape rooms mind you) in a room with no way out other than solving it. We didn't want to wimp out, so we told the people running the room to not let us out under any circumstances. Sounds like a great idea. What could go wrong? Well first off, we didn't realize that Teylora was claustrophobic, and started freaking out immediately. The second problem, which was slightly worse, was that we were absolutely awful at solving the room... We actually ended up setting the record for the longest attempt at the escape room, and they eventually decided to go against our wishes and let us out after 16 hours. So it didn't go how we wanted, but we went and had drinks after, which was much more fun and better for team building!

Michael Scotch was nervous joining the Anaheim Outlaws.  He always competed in various junior and midget leagues waiting for this moment, but he had butterflies in his stomach once he was actually in a SMJHL locker room.  Knowing some of these rookies would have a lot of nerves the team decided to hold an open practice and allowed fans to come in and watch them drill.  All fans had to put away any electronic devices so there'd be no recordings, and fans were properly socially distanced due to concerns of the pandemic.  Michael Scotch and some of the other rookies were visibly nervous, and thought an open practice would be a bad idea.  It turned out to be the opposite, this practice accomplished two major things.  The team was gaining chemistry as they were drilling with potential line-mates, the players were laughing and acting casually after a while getting used to the fans.  Since they got used to the fans the nerves of the rookies plummeted, of course there were still some but the rookies including Scotch were much calmer and were showing off their potential.  At the end of the practice the team felt closer and met the coaches who informed them real practices were about to start privately to hold strategies for the upcoming season, the rookies just started bonding with each other and their teammates and were learning what they had to do to be professionals.

After signing my contract, I packed my bags and headed to the airport, eager to join my new teammates. Upon my arrival at Kelowna, I was surprised to see Vlastislav Malik and Teddy Park waiting for me at the airport.

“Hey there rook, ready for “orientation”? Teddy asked. Vlastislav grinned slyly.

“Orientation?” I responded. I was told to get to camp as soon as possible, but nobody said anything about an orientation.

“Get in the car, Jinx” said Malik. Even though he is my oldest friend, I trusted him as far as I could throw him. He was a rookie, like me, but he was drafted by the team and was obviously feeling right at home with the group.

Reluctantly, I got in the car, with Teddy driving and Malik riding shotgun. In the back with me was Brennan Huff, another rookie, wearing a worried look on his face. I started to feel like he knew something I didn’t, and that it wasn’t good.

About a 10 minute drive from the airport got us to our destination, a large looking warehouse with a sign on the front that read “Painting With Friends”. My first reaction was that we were all going to paint a nice picture together and drink some wine. And that I had signed with the wrong team. But I followed Teddy and Malik into the building. What was inside was anything but a painting studio. It was a warzone.

Teddy began to tell Huff and myself that we were here for a “team building exercise” and that paintball was where Knights were made. I noticed that other teammates had already arrived and were getting on their equipment, such as James Hagan and Peter Ramsey. With my faith in my team restored, I eagerly picked out a paintball gun and ammunition. Everything was to be put under one tab, Teddy said, so I decked myself out with the tools of success.

After a fun hour and a half of forwards vs defencemen and goalies, full of new war stories, we go to return our equipment. Walking to the door, I’m expecting to be shot or held up for free shots, something dumb like that. But nothing comes to. Still on edge, I make sure I am one of the last to turn in my paintball gun. As I take back my equipment, the clerk hands me a slip.

“Teddy says you got this.”

So much for that signing bonus.

[Image: GxHbd5R.png]

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]
Thnx @Carpy48 for the sig!

All promising prospects met in Vatican City. Also Anton Mihailov was asked to be part of that festival where all people can see mighty Pope playing hockey too. Mihailov was excited and ready to take challenge. He eat very well at morning and do some exercises before he had to go bicycling to center of Vatican City. There was a lot of people already cheering around of ice and Pope have even his own cheerleader team to cheering his team. As you might guess, also cardinals was part of the team and Pope was of course the only one, the might and holy captain. However hockey festival ended very scary moment, because someone from opposite team tackles Pope so hard that he almost died. Cardinals and people tried to help pope and give to him his heart attack medicines and bring him back to bedroom.

That was the moment when Mihailov decided to become pro player.

(156 word)
(English isn't my native language, so I'm sorry if I make mistakes)

[Image: sig-500500.png][Image: ALFaRJc.gif]

[Image: lIYTYDN.png][Image: tCcIWQC.png]

[Image: seal1.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2020, 02:14 PM by TheBigSandeenie.)

Being drafted by the Newfoundland Berserkers was one of the most exciting moments of my young life. Hearing my name called at 4oa was a moment of joy that will never be forgotten. Following that joy was a whirlwind of emotions. Questions of, “will I fit in in the locker room?” and “will I live up to the high draft slot?” quickly crept into the back of his mind. As soon as the draft was over, I decided to get to Newfoundland as soon as possible to get comfortable at my new home. The day of my arrival I was excited and anxious to head to the team facilities to meet all the guys and settle in with my new team. I was greeted by the GM, JNH, who has been incredibly welcoming and was given a quick tour of the facilities. As we made our way down one of through the hallways taking in all the new sights and sounds one familiar noise grew louder and louder. The sound of the boys. As we got closer to the locker room the yelling, the hooting and hollering grew louder and louder. Eventually JNH joked, “I think the boys are fired up to meet you. Things have been a little crazy this offseason since that we took home the championship. Anyways, we are happy to have you here, welcome to Newfoundland.” As I walked into the locker room I noticed that I wasn’t the first rookie to arrive. Both Chad Alfa and Bas O’Bigbers we their as well as many of the veterans. What followed was not some crazy team building exercise or intense training or anything of the soft. We hung around the team facilities getting to know each other. Some lifted weights, while some worked on their shots. But everybody was shooting the shit. And instantly I felt at home.

The Quebec City Citadelles had quite the offseason, bringing in a bunch of new faces while also sticking on to a bunch of veteran leaders. The team decided on a team building exercise to help everyone gel together for the season, and that particular event was a team cook off! The team was split into groups of 6 where a few players would have to whip up something good for a charitable public contest, in which the natives of Quebec City would vote and determine which group of players had the best looking and testing plate.

Despite the players best efforts, most of the meals came out pretty shitty to tell you the truth. But the natives of Quebec City appreciated getting to know their team for the upcoming S56 SMJHL season, while also raising money to address local problems. The team didn’t really learn much about cooking, but they did get to bond with their fellow teammates and the city they represent.

[Image: SigStorm.png]
[Image: QHLWtic.png?1]
san francisco group of cats - mikael koskinen
quebec city citadelz  - mikael koskinen

Besides other activities already described, the Falcons has a clear initiation and to an extent, a welcoming teambuilding exercise. As we gathered on the ice for the first team, the veterans of the team greeted the rookies with a really loud screech. The rink echoed with "SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" being yelled by all the veterans as we rookies were greeted. There was an exchange of weird glances to our fellow rookies as well as the veterans that had now also started flapping their arms up and down. Soon enough we got the explanation that the Falcons really like to live up to their name. By screeching and flapping your arms we were supposed to let go of our old selves and get incorporated into the Falcon collective. So there we were, the whole team. Flapping arms and shouting "SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" at each other while doing laps on the ice. As far as I could understand, this team is filled with a bunch of hockey players with an insane love for their team and me as well as the other rookies looked pretty happy after the grand welcome.

[Image: Halkohol_SHL.gif]

Being in St. Louis is a new adventure for the young center. Not knowing any teammates was hard but the first true bonding experience was during the first team practice. The team practice started off with a group ice breaker that each player talked about there dream hockey team and how they are able to achieve. Some players talked about how they want to be on a winning team and some talked about how they wanted to be a fun team. A few players also talked about the team being solely for players to truly showcase their ability and help improve their shl draft stock because at the end of the day that was the goal for some players on this team right now. You could really tell the difference between the returning send downs and the rookies on how they answered the question. Some will take more time than others to adjust to the smjhl team hockey aspect of things.

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread