Create Account

Adjust Goalie Update Scale
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 11:07 PM by spooked.)

[Image: 4e22e7864f.png][Image: 4b16d74a8e.png]

This is a very dumb example and not at all realistic of what people actually do, but it does show clearly that Goalies being on the same update scale doesn't make sense in any way when you consider FHM ratings.

You might not think its a problem, but the TPE effectiveness for goalies being so much higher than skaters just makes high TPE goalies more redundant as most goalies are similarly competent above 800TPE, while a skater would need much more (as you could see from above). The sim engine is the sim engine, but the site-specific systems (like the contract scale for example) makes no sense when a 1600+ goalie has been fighting the scale for much longer than a 1600+ player has and just means high tpe goalies will have many more cheaper-and-still-reliable replacement options than high tpe player would.

An adjusted Goalie update scale won't fix everything, but it will make TPE evaluations between skaters and goalies much more comparable in the context of FHM ratings and make the contract scale actually make sense in terms of goalie ratings as well. Might get players like Cain get a spot too...

I don't know if this will make regressing goalies retire more quickly or open up any more spots for incoming ones, as it would still be about beating others in TPE at the end of the day, but we can update the scale so at least their contracts make more sense in context of the actual ratings they have in the sim. If only we could have players be more useful at 800 TPE, maybe it's an issue of players needing a discounted update scale. But we gotta go one way or the other so that things make more damn sense.

ie.
Goalie Adjusted Update Scale
6-7 = 1 TPE (1)
7-9 = 3 TPE (6)
9-11 = 8 TPE (16)
11-13 = 14 TPE (28)
13-15 = 24 TPE (48)
15-17 = 38 TPE (76)
17-20 = 60 TPE (180)

This scale would make a "full" goalie build take 4615 TPE, which is very similar to the amount a "full" skater build would take for 20 skills at 4620. You could probably soften this scale a little bit more than I have as most skaters would only put points in anywhere from 15-20 skills and the league would need to decide how good a 425 goalie should be and so on, but this is just an example of a simple adjusted scale which would help make goalie TPE make some sense in context of contracts, regression, and entering the SHL after being called up. The current system basically rewards teams for signing goalies in the lower salary brackets as the cap savings are worth more than the difference between a high and medium TPE goalie.

Flame free thread please Smile I know im dumb but like please man, I have feelings
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 11:07 PM by spooked.)

Also who said it was chill to have the same update scale? Just wondering if there was a discussion around it at all cause it seems weird to me that it was put in like that in the first place when you actually look at it.

Just FYI, in the NHL20 adaptation of some SMJHL teams I've been doing, 425 skaters will end up at 76-77 overall ratings while 425 goalies get 82-83. It's not much if an argument but shows a disbalance another way I guess.

[Image: lespoils.gif]

I agree on this one. Not much else to say.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

pretty sure the consensus is that goalies dont help that much. I feel like making them worse wouldnt help

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

09-24-2020, 03:59 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: pretty sure the consensus is that goalies dont help that much. I feel like making them worse wouldnt help

In engine you are right but the SHL is more than just FHM sims so its to fix the rest really. Ie contract value being consistent and just generally making their TPE number be representative of what the player tpe is like.

It's interesting that this would have the opposite effect you were looking to achieve in your last article on applied tpe capping.

This would actually make it worthwhile having a high tpe goalie (potentially)

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

Yup, something along those lines is probably needed!

09-24-2020, 05:51 PMTomasnz Wrote: It's interesting that this would have the opposite effect you were looking to achieve in your last article on applied tpe capping.

This would actually make it worthwhile having a high tpe goalie (potentially)

I agree, but this is more targeted to balancing players and goalies, my previous article would be in addition to this suggestion lets say. This is more about contract values for goalies being completely backwards because their update scale isn't built with their position in mind.