Create Account

S56 PT #1 - Crossover
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2020, 07:14 PM by Dextaria.)

When it's not hockey season, Ryosuke Sato dabbles in playing ultimate frisbee during the offseason in the summer. He just plays on a local team in Vancouver and really enjoyed playing it since he was introduced to it as a rookie on the Vancouver Whalers. Similar to hockey, Sato is able to use his speed and passing ability to his advantage as he is often the one to pick up the disc and make scoring passes. However, his height is yet again another factor that many say is holding him back in the sport. Being 5'7", many scouts were saying that it was going to be a tough road for him in the SHL and in ultimate frisbee it is no different. Regardless, Sato is able to make the most of it by being the passer on the team instead of a catcher, as well as using his decent jumping abilities from all those hockey leg workouts. I think it is safe to say that although Sato isn't the best on his team with regards to ultimate frisbee, he is able to contribute quite a bit to the team every summer.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Hand. Eye. Coordination. They say it's in the heart of every sport, and everyone has seen what happens when there's a loose puck in the air with skilled player around--Boom! Out of mid-air into the net. That's where we come to baseball--the sport of hand-eye coordination. It feels like it has to be right up his alley? Right? Well turns out there's a lot more to hopping into the minor-league drawl of baseball than simply see ball -> hit ball.

At the plate... Foley has some skills. He's able to get the timing of hitting balls down fairly well, and if there's a fastball down the middle he's able to mash to some degree, but he has one big weakness--balls. Not the baseball itself, but taking balls is a struggle. He takes too many! His calm, poised approach to attacking on the rush has translated to the way he attacks the balls in the zone--only the best opportunities he feel can be hit out will get swings. This has led to lackluster results where he's waiting for that perfect ball and it never comes. While he's good at taking walks, he just hits poorly.

Offense is overrated for a defensemen anyways, his skills are on the field. He's strong, he reads the play well, and has good speed, but is iffy on getting into the play by accelerating. That sounds like a 3rd baseman if I've ever seen one. And oh do I see one in Foley. He's above average for sure with sub-par range that is made up for with good reads off the bat, as well as a strong arm to get the close plays in his favour at 1st. This is made even better with his accuracy when it comes to delivering play-tools to teammates (pucks, baseballs, you name it!). If he had better acceleration he'd easily be in the outfield given his arm, but the corner spots are reserved for strong bats and sub-par defense, and less range isn't meant for the middle infield, so he's squarely meant to play 3rd.

As it turns out, being a poor hitting 3rd baseman with + defense doesn't endear you to staying in the sport of baseball for long. So while he's a great option off the bench for late game defensive situations, his lack of instinct when it comes to attacking strikes holds him back from ever really becoming anything more than a bench piece on a good team. Sensing that, Foley packs his bags and prepares to return to the SHL, his foray into the world of baseball to continue building up eventually make the big leagues with Edmonton.

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Thinking about Kaarlo going over to the ISFL to play some professional football actually would be quite interesting. Standing 6'4" tall and weighing 220 lbs, he's not too far away from the type of build you'd expect to see in a football player which would mean he's off to a pretty good start. Although growing up in Finland he never played the sport at all, obviously with Dallas being home to one of the most popular football franchises in the world he has since become aware of it, and it could be interesting to see whether or not there's some potential for a foray into the sport from him once his time playing hockey is over. No idea what position he'd play, but he could be built for something like linebacker or safety if he was able to bulk up a little bit more, taking advantage of his big body and frame. Obviously if he tried to make the switch now it would go awfully due to his lack of experience, but if he took a few seasons out to train and learn the sport properly, who knows. Maybe he would be able to make it and have a successful career in not just one sport.

Code:
206 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Daniil Nikiforov spent most of his young life playing Ice Hockey, but just because he found himself most talented in hockey does not mean he was no interested in others. He was inspired to try basketball when he saw a group of teenagers playing when he was just a boy. Daniil, who has always been taller than most of his peers, ended up having some talent for basketball. The main issue for the young Russian was dribbling. He had a great shot and knew how to play defense well enough. Recently on one of his trips to play the Colorado Raptors, Nikiforov and a few players from both teams got to play a pick-up game with Nikola Jokic, Jamal Murray, and a few other of the Denver Nuggets. With the slick passing of Jokic, Nikiforov was able to score 8 points in his time on the court and showed he could have possibly had a career in either the NBA or SBA. Sometimes athletes are just naturally gifted in every sport they try.

[174 Words]

[Image: 2Y6XCEF.png]
[Image: Xwhw2zl.gif]
[Image: 2utoLVQ.png]

For Atreides switching sports isn't a big deal, he has lived for over 10000 years so has done a lot of sports in the past. It was actually the other way around for him as playing in the ice actually was a bigger challenge then to switch to a sport like football or soccer (a sport Atreides actually played in a sim league before, but that league died out quickly). So for as long as he still lives (which is probably for eternity) Atreides will always look for other fun activities and sports to do. He probably has learned a few new skills from this hockey adventure, and now he can skate he will likely look into doing something like downhill cross (the red bull crashed ice thing) as his future endeavor.

This might take some years to as the Panthers do not want to risk him injuring himself. He might live forever but he still can get injured, so for now he has to take it easy still.

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

At 6 foot 2 inches and 195 pounds Kobo would not fare well in the ISFL unless he was playing cornerback or running back. Interestingly, Kobo and my ISFL player David Rector are almost the exact same size so Kobo playing cb is not out of the question. The hardest part would honestly be the transition from skating on ice to learning to run with all those pads on in cleats on grass or turf. I think Kobo's talents would translate better to baseball where he can use his excellent skills pinpointing the puck and timing  to become a pretty good batter. I'm not sure where he would play on the field, but I definitely think Kobo would have some success in the PBE. Now as far as my other sim players trying their hand at hockey in the SHL I think both Acuña Matata and David Rector would have a really hard time learning how to skate well enough to be good at hockey. Unlike pretty much any other sport hockey has that added difficulty of playing on ice with skates and if you didn't grow up skating it can take a long time and a lot of practice to get good enough on skates to be competitive in the SHL.

[Image: Ugn5gZg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2020, 08:16 AM by Toast.)

Byakuya Togami is a offensive lineman prospect for the DSFL. Coming in at a large 360 pounds and 6'4", the child prodigy from Japan likely wouldn't fare too well on the ice. Byakuya has told media that he wants to see everything that the United States has to offer and while touring the possible draft destinations in his upcoming Entry Draft, it's possible he would stop by St. Paul for some practice with the Monarchs to see what the craze around ice hockey is.

With his serious weight, it's impressive he can skate on the ice but it doesn't get much further than that! He trains with Minnesota prospect Jack Klompus to find some comparisons between protecting the quarterback in football to trying to block entry into the zone with Klompus. One point of the practice, Togami lands a massive check into the boards on Klompus that nearly takes the rookie out. The Minnesota coach calls an end to the practice there...

Code:
167 words

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

The choices are plenty when it comes to potential careers for the young hockey super star. Oddly enough for the young Danish hockey player the choice would be pretty quick and painless. Baseball.

Why would he choose what is coined the ‘america’s greatest pastime’?

The easy go to would be soccer I think for many people seeing where he is from, but the idea of a more slow and chess like game with bursts of excitement just hits a cord for him that hockey can’t. Mix in the fact hockey players on average are just a little more physically fit than what baseball seems to offer and you have a player who would be like a race horse rounding the bases. The hand eye co ordination and reaction time to hit the ball might be a bit of a struggle (but would probably be super easy for a goalie) but with how fast the game of hockey moves and requires you to think, the time to adapt would be low.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

Having been born and raised in Switzerland, Rocco Berni has always been a big soccer (or football) fan. The coordination required for both sports in crucial if one wants to be successful, and the level of coordination required to play professional hockey has allowed Rocco to also be quite successful in Soccer. As a kid, he played both sports at a near-elite level in the Swiss youth circuit. Rocco has always been a playmaker at heart, so it was only natural for him to slot into the central midfielder role as a soccer player. He plays a Kevin de Bruyne like game, as he knows how to effective weight his passes and has a lethal strike from just outside the eighteen yard box. Were he to switch over playing professional soccer full-time, he would have a bit of trouble adjusting, but I think he could be a great role player.

Player Page || Update Thread
[Image: ffBCCRQ.png]

A nearby minor league team to Strom's hometown decided to extend to him a small baseball contract for the off season.  The Peoria Chiefs were needing a catcher, and who else than a goaltender, who's business is catching pucks, to catch baseballs at high rates of speed?  Excited to keep busy and occupied in the offseason, Chamberlain graciously accepted and through the first season did about as well as a person could who hadn't played professional ball.  There was not an errant pitch able to get passed him.  Wild throws, balls, and even deep bombs from the outfield always seemed to find his center glove.   Batting however, was a different story.  While he wasn't a great hitter, his 25% on base percentage left a ton to be desired.  He did manage to set a record for the team as the first player to bunt a single while holding the bat like a hockey stick.

Code:
WC 158 Words

Arik Eller, Defensive End for the Chicago Butchers. University of New Hampshire.. I grew up in New Hampshire and am a huge Wolfpack fan. When I find a break in my training I often times go to the Boston Garden to catch a Pack game. It's always a good game when the Rage come into town. The fuckin' New Yorkers roll in like they own the city, especially in the last handful of years. That playoff series against them a couple years back was awesome, we had box seats for the home games.

Luckily as I was a hockey fan, I really had some exposure to how it works. I am not saying I could step in and compete, but I'd be at least as good as that CC2 guy that keeps signing endorsement deals with Wheaties and stuff. That guy is such a plug. I would be hard to knock off the puck and I have a mean slapshot, I mean just take a gander at this highlight.

[Image: tn03w4.gif]

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Igor Victory, having grown up in Tampere, Finland, was no stranger to anything sports related, especially in the colder, winter months. An odd sport that he also wanted to try out was the Biathlon, which is combination of Cross Country Skiing and Rifle Shooting. It's a an olympic sport that also hosts competitions across the world. It's a great way to keep your cardio levels up, and practice on your focus and depth perception. Igor's first go around didn't go as well as he wanted. No, he didn't accidentally shoot anyone, but he did accidentally shoot his Swedish counterparts target instead, instantly disqualifying him. He was allowed to continue the race knowing that his score wouldn't count, which didn't deter him. Had he actually shot his own target, he would have come in 5th. It's a little known sport outside of the diehard Olympic followers and Scandinavian countries. Igor hopes he can get a few of his teammates on the Armada to start up a course in Alaska. But shooting guns and drinking beer seems to be the desire up there, instead of Skiing and shooting. Maybe a beer league Biathlon will be in order?

203 words

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Chimkin Tendy sucks at hockey… so what makes anyone think he’d be good at any other sport? He goes on to play baseball, which sort of translates since he’s a goalie. See the ball, catch the ball. Except when he’s batting. Goaltending is so engrained in his stupid pea brain that when he’s up to bat, he instinctively reaches out to try and catch it. Luckily for the bones in his hand, anything going over 50 mph is too fast for his glove hand anyway. One time he got hit by a pitch and instead of taking the base, he just immediately dove on the ball and covered it with his hands. When it came up for review, since this was the first time a batter has ever done this, they called him out, since technically he touched the ball again and on purpose. Much like his time in the SMJHL, he was booed by fans relentlessly back to the bench.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Growing up in the United Kingdom, Rhys Pritchard has always had a love for football. In fact, he nearly choose to play football instead of hockey growing up in his small town in Wales. Rhys is a gifted athlete and is good friends with several of the Cardiff Bluebirds with whom he has worked out during the offseason. “Absolutely dreadful” is how Rhys describes himself on the pitch. “The guys are nice to let me play but I think letting me run with them is what got them relegated last season. I bring them down.” One of Rhys’ key skills in hockey, hand eye coordination, is largely useless on the pitch for obvious reasons. But playing football with his mates in the offseason helps his endurance he says. “Yeah it’s good for my balance, quickness, and strength on my feet. Sure, it’s a lot different on skates, but being able to win puck battles and winning battles for the football have some similarities I guess.”

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

As I mentioned in previous pt submissions, Cillian Kavanagh is also an avid golfer. Cillian has always enjoyed a round of golf with his friends on the weekends. A couple of bets, a couple of beers and a couple of birdies..hopefully. Hailing from Ireland, where golf has always been at the top of the most popular sport lists, everyone played from a young age. After coming over to the states Cillian prefers the open courses of his hometown of Dublin rather than the hilly tight fairways that the west coast presents. Many of Cillian's friends are quite good as hockey translates fairly well to golf. When Kavanagh takes off the goalie gear and grabs a stick he definitely knows what he's doing out there. Cillian sports a quick wrister and a hard slapper. This presents itself on the tee box when he lines up to hit the ball 300. I can't say it always stays in the fairway but he haves fun out there with the boys.

Word Count: 167

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]