Create Account

Why Nat Emerson should win top defenseman for the IIHF S55 tournament
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 10:20 AM by The__Y-man__100.)

So first off, yes this article might be slightly biased as I am the GM of the IIHF player in question. However, the numbers do not lie when it comes to who should be awarded the best defender of the S55 IIHF tournament. In my opinion the award seems to have two candidates and they are @Thelastheraclid Nat Emerson and Leopold Lockhart. First off, both had great tournaments on both ends of the ice and at the end of the day it comes down to what you value in a defender. Is it the offensive production a defender can add that makes them the DMVP? Or is it having a high number of shots blocked and hits? What about the +/- stat? I can’t tell you what is the proper way to approach the discussion, but what I can tell you is how awesome of a tournament Nat Emerson had on the individual level and I don't want Latvia's rebuild to overshadow the individual success that has been achieved.

The Defense

Let's break down the defensive side of things considering these two players are both natural defenders in the SHL.

- Nat finished the S55 IIHF tournament with the second best DGR at 90. While Lockhart had a slightly higher DGR, Nat also spent 50% more time on the PK then Lockhart did
- Nat had more than DOUBLE the hit count of Lockhart this tournament
- Nat had 18 more shots blocked than Lockhart even though Nat averaged 1 minute less of TOI per game compared to Lockart
- Both had the same amount of takeaways but Nat did finish with less giveaways then Lockhart
- Lockhart did finish with a significantly higher +/- stat as Latvia in general had a hard time scoring due to the youthfulness of its roster (least amount of GF in the S55 tournament)

The Offense

Lets flip the switch and look at the offensive stats both players accumulated this tournament.

- While Nat did finish with significantly less shots on goal, Nat only scored one less goal then Lockhart during the round robin AND Nat had virtually double (13.33) the shooting percentage compared to Lockhart (7.89)
- All of Nat’s goals came short handed this tournament, which to me is quite impressive
- Lockhart did finish with 2 more assists than Emerson, but one of them did come on the power play

That concludes my case study. Both are great players, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.
Code:
420 words

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

Mr. Nat-Nat The Little Rat is just a special guy. All my interactions with him in the locker room leave me shocked with his incredible work ethic Platoon

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

@The__Y-man__100 I'm ok with that. Norm deserves an award. Platoon

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

09-25-2020, 05:29 PMWaters Wrote: Mr. Nat-Nat The Little Rat is just a special guy. All my interactions with him in the locker room leave me shocked with his incredible work ethic Platoon
This is just so heart warming

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Heart

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]