Create Account

Cian McFelter- Interview with the Knights rookie [2x Draft Media]

Another draft has gone by and that means there are free agent signings to happen for the players that didn’t impress enough at the combine to get drafted by SMJHL clubs. As always, teams use this opportunity to fill out their roster and possibly find that difference making player that should have been drafted in the first place. Cian McFelter is hoping to be that player for the Kelowna Knights this season. I had a chance to sit down with the player to talk to him about life, liberty, and the pursuit of the four star cup over a zoom call.  

Reporter R: “Cian, great to talk to you today! I hope you are staying safe in these crazy times!”
Cian McFelter: “Thank you, happy to take the time! I am well and I hope you and your family are too.”

R: “Everyone is good, thank you! Let’s get right down to it then, Cian. You come into the league as an undrafted free agent. Does that sort of thing motivate you more than if you were actually drafted by a club?”
Cian: “Absolutely. Knowing how hard I work on and off the ice, I know I’m going to make an impact in this league. So it’s disappointing to not be drafted. But that’s just more fuel to the fire, because I will do everything I can to prove that I should have been.”

R: “Even though your paperwork issue was the reason you didn’t show up in the draft in the first place?”
Cian: “Still wasn’t drafted, R. Paperwork or not, I’m on a mission!”

R: “I guess you aren’t technically wrong. Let’s talk about being a free agent. You had some offers on the table, what made you choose to join the Kelowna Knights?”
Cian: “Well truthfully I’ve been playing with my best friend Vlastislav Malik since we were kids. My family moved due to my father’s, uh, business adventures and we ended up playing on the same line consistently since we lived near each other. Naturally, you develop a friendship with that much familiarity, and we had a lot of success as youths as well. So when I saw him get drafted by the Knights, they were high on my list. I had some offers from some other great teams as well, and I can’t say enough how much I appreciate their time for even considering me, but at the end of the day I just didn’t know how many more chances I would get like this to play with Vlasy. So when the offer came, I couldn’t pass it up.”

R: “Hold up, what kind of business adventures is your father involved in?”
Cian: “Uh, well, the super secret kind. Let’s just say we won’t be visiting Dublin any time soon.”

R: “I see. Well let’s get back on track. How do you like Kelowna so far?”
Cian: “The city is nice. I’ve only been here for a couple of days. I took a jog through a park next to this sandwhich shop I found downtown and found some other spots I will check out, COVID restrictions permitting. Still looking for a place at the moment, although a few of the rookies are talking about rooming together for the season. We’ll see, it could be fun!”

R: “Very nice, glad to see you are getting comfortable. What can you expect from your team, and also, what can your team expect from you in this coming season?”
Cian: “From my team I just expect them to give the same effort that I put in. If we all work hard and stick to the system, we should come out with big wins. I trust our management staff and the team they have put together. As for myself, I’m going to try to work hard in both ends of the ice, while keeping my head up for open offensive opportunities. I’m a passer at heart, but I’m not afraid to shoot. Although, usually when I pass to Vlasy I don’t get the puck back!”

R: “Sounds like your teammates should bring their hard hats and lunch pales to work this season! Let’s change pace here a little and do some rapid fire questions. Some hockey related, others are things fans might find interesting. You game?”
Cian: “Absolutely, let’s go!”

R: “Such energy! Ok, first one, favorite player?”
Cian: “I love Centers with two way games, so for me it’s Sidney Crosby and Patrice Bergeron.”

R: “Favorite NHL team?”
Cian: “Been a Pittsburgh Penguins fan my whole life. Big stars to look up to came through the last several decades!”

R: “What’s your usual pregame meal?”
Cian: “I love steak and potatoes but I usually go with a spaghetti type meal.”

R: “Have a favorite SHL team?”
Cian: “Not a favorite, but I do enjoy watching the Buffalo Stampede. Monkey D. Luffy is the type of leader I hope to mirror one day.”

R: “Something non hockey related that you enjoy doing.”
Cian: “Love going to the cinema. It’s been the hardest part of quarantine for me. I would go see films after practices were over all the time. Hopefully I can get back to doing that.”

R: “Ok, on that topic, what is your favorite film?”
Cian: “Boy that’s a loaded question. I really enjoy the Marvel films, they are just pure fun, but I must say that I’ve seen Oceans 11 (Clooney) over a hundred times and it makes me laugh every single time.”

R: “Favorite vacation spot?”
Cian: “A beach. Any beach. I just need the sound of waves.”

R: “Bringing any rivals with you in this draft class?”
Cian: “I would say a friendly rivalry. Robert Feltersnatch is a friend from over on HD and we compete in the same division in Tier 1. We play really well against each other, each having won 6 times in 12 games against each other. So it’s been a close and fair fight from the get go. I believe we can carry that over here and have some good fun. He was drafted by the Colorado Raptors, so we should see a good bit of each other. I hope I can spin him into the ice once or twice!”

R: “Lastly, we were able to sit down with your teammate Malik in a recent interview and he mentioned something about jinxes. Care to explain?”
Cian: “Oh man, this again. It’s simple, I don’t believe in jinxes and he strongly does. For some reason he can’t get over this fact and he keeps bringing it up everywhere we go. I just don’t believe in them, things are the way they are and nothing we say changes that. You should ask him about it, he likes talking about it more than I do.”

R: “I’m sure we will get the chance to! Anything else you’d like to add before we let you go?”
Cian: “I’d just like to ta……”

R: “Cian? Cian can you hear me? My goodness. Our internet has some fortunate timing when it drops out! Thanks to Cian for sitting down with us today, what a great interview! Make sure you tune in this season to see Cian and his teammates march along to what they hope will be another league title! Good luck, lads! Till next time.”

-Reporter R

(1222 words 2x Draft Media)

[Image: GxHbd5R.png]

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]
Thnx @Carpy48 for the sig!

JINXES ARE REAL FFS!

Go Knights!  Knights

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

09-25-2020, 11:29 PMleafs1997 Wrote: JINXES ARE REAL FFS!

Go Knights!  Knights
No. Stop. You're going to hurt yourself.

[Image: GxHbd5R.png]

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]
Thnx @Carpy48 for the sig!

Knights

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Great article. Jinxes are real

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]