Create Account

The Black Stuff | Swords Hockey Tribune

Somewhere flying over the atlantic from the SMJHL Draft to Newfoundland I’m on a privately chartered plane as a press invitee. An exception on a craft otherwise filled with family and friends of some boys from Swords. It’s two friends that have made this luxurious trip appear from fantasy. Bas O’Bigbers and Chad Alfa have surrounded themselves with their boyhood friends while I chat with their families in the back. Hearing of Bas’ first goal from his mother was a story told with great delight that I’m sure has become more heroic as the event has slipped from history to myth. His father looked on solemnly and only adding to it with a nod when appropriate. I knew I wouldn’t have an opportunity to speak with the boys until after the ceremonies in Newfoundland when they sign their contracts so I decided I’d try to get some time with Guts O’Bigbers, father of Bas and former S39 SHL Draftee, to pick his brain about the matter.

Guts O’Bigbers quite famously was a bust of an Irish prospect in what was the golden generation of the early to mid 40’s. After going 9th overall to Vancouver in the S38 SMJHL Draft he began to stunt in his development. Dropping to a 3rd round pick in the S39 SHL Draft by Seattle and ultimately never appearing in a single SHL game. Many old Irish hockey fans probably know this tale, but even if you don’t know the tale it’s written on his face. Guts smiles are filled with anxious wonder and his laughter is reserved. After the partying among the families had settled down I found myself alone with Guts and I wondered what he thought of his son also going 9th overall in the SMJHL Draft. Guts paused before saying “lad’s a better player than me at the wee age. I’d admit to be surprised that the lad aint gone higher if ya asking me to lay me hand on a bible.” Guts seemed to know what I was really asking without me asking it. After a little while he added “Just cause the lad gone same spot I did don’t mean lad’s gonna struggle like I did.” It was a surprisingly candid response from a man whom I’d thought would always be reserved about his struggles. Temptation’s grip wound tightly around my throat and I succumbed to an obvious but inappropriate follow up question. “What is it that caused your struggles if you don’t me asking?” Guts swallowed “alcohol.” I was quite taken aback. In the 14 years since Guts retired from hockey he’s never once mentioned alcohol as why he struggled. “How much were you drinking a day Guts?” Guts quickly replied “none.” I gave him a look as if to say “Huh?” “Oh yeah no Guinness on the western side of the blasted country. I was piss sober every night. Just a bloody waste out there on the ice.” I felt the conversation had become a little to bizarre for my taste. As an Irishman through and through I know the pain of being away from a pint of the black stuff too long but to be as the reason for your career failing?

The plane finally landed in St.John’s and we were off to the press conference at the Mile One Centre. The room isn’t quite large but it sits far more than the St.John’s press can fill; but I get the feeling that the Berserkers design the room to be this big for days like today. The Berserkers General Manager JNH walks out to greet the press and begins to introduce the draftees and some amateur free agents. Bas is one of two 1st round picks and they share the bulk of the questions. But sitting off to the side is Berserkers’ 3rd round pick Chad Alfa, the other Irish player in the draft and hometown friend of Bas. To see both of the top Irish prospects sitting at the same table as they signed their contracts was truly a moment of pride for an Irishman like me.

After the press conference I met Bas on the bench in the One Mile Centre. “Oi I aint never played on no ice with that many seats on top of it before. Only ever saw one big as this a time in Dublin propper.” Ah and they get so much bigger boy. But no need in spoiling the good stuff of a lads journey.

I wanted to know about his thoughts on the draft and how they went. Was he happy? “Last time we spoke I aint had much thought of where I would end up. Then me agent reached out and suddenly I was seeing things as clear as a pint of Guinness. Truth be told I had a lot of teams interested except for one. I look forward to seein em on the ice. Of those teams though me heart was settled on two. Quebec City and Newfoundland. I aint thinkin much of strategy if I had to swear on it but far as I’m concerned I score goals. Why wouldn’t you want a lad whos scarin a goalie everytime his skate touches the ice? In the end I wasn’t surprised when Newfoundland took me and honestly I’m really happy to be a Berserker. They’re coming off a Four Star Cup and I intend to help get em back there. I’ll be playin a smaller role than used ta but I’m ready.”

As training camp began Bas was working on things that he’d never considered before in Dublin Juniors. Bas showed up to camp having spent more time reading Tolstoy in his life, his Year 9 English instructor was quite cruel, than learning elementary defense. The first several days were spent listening to coaches scream at Bas from morning skates until the end of afternoon tape sessions. Then perhaps one more time before the rookies returned to the rookie dorms. They just couldn’t understand how someone could be so good at his level without having basic defensive concepts down or any passing game. Chad Alfa struggled to contain his amusement watching Bas get back to play defense instead of waiting at the blue line for the puck to come back to him. It was like watching a fish try to fly. But to the shock of his childhood friend, Bas began to master the basics. By the time Newfoundland was getting ready to play their first preseason games the fish had at least grown something that could be mistaken for wings. His defense wasn’t good by any means but Bas was taking it more seriously than he ever had before. He was also passing more than he ever had before. The funny thing is that Bas didn’t even appear that uncomfortable doing so.

Shortly before morning skate the day before their first regular season game Bas is out there practicing the fundamentals of passing with new captain Lassi Suhonen. Chad Alfa was onlooking just as I was. He felt the need to let his shock out to anyone nearby who’d listen. He picked me as his target to ramble about Bas passing instead of practicing some deke or top shelf shot. I asked him “never seen him pass in practice before eh?” I chuckled thinking I’d cracked a good one. Alfa didn’t laugh. He walked away to go get his pads on but as he left he answered, “no. Seen the lad pass in practice for hours before. Just never seen him have so much fun doin it.”

On my way back to the hotel from the arena I decide to stop at a pub. In this colorful town by the sea it’s hard to get a good idea for what the inside of a pub is going to be before you walk through the door. My eyes glow with delight as I sit down at the bar. I notice that a lever is black with the beautiful golden harp on it. The bartender walks over and I ask for a pint of the “Black Stuff.” I think the boys are going to be just fine.

-Owen Eolas Swords Hockey Tribune Ireland

Word Count: 1367

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]