Create Account

Cassius Darrow Press Conference
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2020, 06:05 PM by hhh81.)

After a nine-year career with the Buffalo Stampede, German-born defenseman Cassius Darrow begins a new chapter of his career with the expansion Seattle Argonauts. After an up-and-down preseason, including the most recent 4-1 loss to New England, Darrow took the opportunity to speak with the media for the first time this offseason.

Quote:Talk us through waiving your no-trade clause and joining Seattle in the expansion draft. How did it feel to be the first overall pick in expansion?
It was weird. I'd talked with my long-time agent [Johnny Hamilton] and decided I was ready for a new challenge. I enjoyed my time in Buffalo, and appreciate all we achieved while I was part of the organization. I'm proud of being a three-time Challenge Cup champion. I knew there were younger guys ready for bigger roles who wanted to stay in Buffalo long-term. They bought houses and are starting to settle down with families; I didn't want to be the cause of one of them having to uproot to a new city, especially because it was unlikely I would resign in Buffalo after my current contract. Johnny had a really good working relationship with Mr. Smalls while they were both GMs in the SMJHL, and spoke very highly of him as a person and hockey mind. I let Buffalo's front office know my intentions, and here we are. It's surreal. I'm excited to see how we do this season, and to take on a big role in setting the culture.

Quote:About that, Cass. You've been named the first captain in Seattle Argonauts history. How does that feel? Do you have any comments on the rumors of locker room drama between you and Buffalo captain Monkey D. Luffy?
It felt amazing, honestly. When I spoke with Mr. Smalls before the expansion draft, I let him know I wanted to play a big role leading the team. I knew it would be a young group, and I could be the face of the team and model for the rookies and younger guys in practice and on the ice. I'm honored to have his faith in me, and I hope I can live up to that faith.

As for that other stuff, there's nothing to it. It was my honor to wear an A for Buffalo. Luffy's been a great captain since Metz retired. He got me the chance to go out on a high leaving Buffalo with that Cup clinching goal in Game 7. He deserves all the recognition he's gotten. We're different sorts of people--Luffy jokes around a lot more with the guys in the locker room, while I was always the quieter, steady guy. I try to lead by example. This opportunity in Seattle will give me the chance to be more of that vocal leader with the Argonauts.

Quote:What happened versus New England today?
That was tough :sheepish-laugh:. They had their blueline getting shots through and McMahon couldn't hold onto them. Some nights, the other team just gets you. 'Toshi [Zigzagooney] and I are still learning how to play off each other. While we were on Buffalo for a few seasons together, we never played any significant time together. He has a really nice first pass and has his eye on creating offense. He reminds me of myself a few seasons back, just before I had my breakout season. 

After a few seasons playing with Poopity Scoop, I'll have to learn the new tendencies of my partners. A few games back I took a few dumb penalties because we were out of position. That's unlike me, and I don't plan to repeat those mistakes in the regular season.  We won't get beat like that again.

09-27-2020, 12:00 AMTommySalami Wrote: What would you feel is a successful first season in Seattle for both yourself and the team?
I think the goal is always playoffs. We're in an interesting position where we can definitely contend for a playoff spot. The Northwest Division is tough, but I think we can make it into the postseason in our first year. As for me, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing the last few seasons as a number 1 defenseman. If I keep doing what I need to do on and off the ice, the individual accolades will follow where they need to. If you're chasing awards and individual recognition, you're focusing on the wrong things. In Buffalo, I was always focused on complementing the other talented players around me. With Seattle, I'll likely have to push and take over games more often than Buffalo wanted or needed me to.

Beyond playoffs, I think seeing the development of our younger players is the most important thing right now. We're a ways from our pinnacle as a team. We have young players like Thor Odinsson, Abel Skinner, Jack Kanoff, Fred Wanesly, and Kriss Darzins who are just beginning to tap into what they're capable of. If they keep improving, and our development staff continues to get the best out of the prospects Mr. Smalls drafted recently, that would be an accomplishment. Our future success will come down to how the young S50-S53 core continues to develop and take the lead of the team, as well as how the coaching and management teams can find and develop young stars currently growing in juniors to complement the next generation. I got the chance to meet two of our recent draft picks--Dee Centerman IV and Vaseline Podcalzone recently. I like their energy, and think they could be strong pieces for us soon.

09-27-2020, 12:00 AMTommySalami Wrote: Do you see yourself retiring an Argo or could you see yourself playing somewhere else in the future?
I haven't given this much thought. I've just arrived in Seattle, and am getting to know Mr. Smalls and the coaching staff, as well as the city itself. It's fascinating playing for a different coach after so many years in the Buffalo system, and a lot to learn. It's funny, especially with former conference rivals like Tig Murphy and now with Toronto's former coach taking over Seattle. I can't say what I'll do. I'm focused on my teammates and making the most of this season. Mr. Hamilton will help do whatever is in my best interest. I like where the team is headed so far.

09-27-2020, 12:00 AMTommySalami Wrote: What was your favourite memory of Buffalo? Least favourite?
I think winning the Challenge Cup as a rookie call up versus New Orleans (and taking normal shifts on the 3rd pair immediately!) and then closing my time in Buffalo with a Challenge Cup victory against New Orleans again are the best. You can't book end it any better than that.

As for least favorite... playing with Samuel Jalopski was... bad. He was a selfish, braggart of a player on the ice, and I didn't appreciate him as a defensive partner. Off the ice he was also fairly horrible as a human being. Sometimes people come into the league with views about their talents that outpace their actual talents. I think him being out of the league speaks volumes to that.

09-27-2020, 12:23 AMKlusteR Wrote: Would you agree that the Northwest Division is currently the toughest division to play in, due to the relative parity between the five teams (two at the top, three at the bottom)? Great Lakes has a heavy Top 3, but it feels as though the path has already been traced for playoff positions in that division, whereas it's anyone's game in the Northwest...
It's definitely the toughest division to predict! I think it's the only division that doesn't seem to be pretty clear cut about who will and won't be a playoff team. The Great Lakes Division was a meat grinder, and that doesn't look to change anytime soon. I don't think anyone knows what will happen until the games start getting played; anyone who claims otherwise with a high degree of certainty is bloviating for their own self-indulgence. The only team I feel confident saying will make the playoffs in the Northwest is Calgary--they are aging rapidly, but they retained the players they needed to and added Boris Poroshenko to round out their forward group. This could be the end of their streak of playoff appearances, but I think they go into the season with one of the stronger rosters in the West. After that, Edmonton lost a lot, Winnipeg and Minnesota are a season over, and we're a hungry, young squad. It should be exciting, to say the least.

09-27-2020, 12:23 AMKlusteR Wrote: What kind of music do you prefer listening to before a big game? Do you prefer to pump yourself up, or relax your nerves?
I actually don't listen to much in the way of music before games. I find silence relaxing, and it helps me focus my energy before the game. I was known in the Buffalo locker room to have my headphones on listening to white noise or an audiobook before a game, while others blasted all sorts of different musics. I may have to change that habit in Seattle and be more vocal before games to help the younger players.

09-27-2020, 12:23 AMKlusteR Wrote: Who's your favorite personality in the Seattle locker room so far?
It's been great to reunite with some old teammates--Sven (Kristoffer Svensson), Knute [Knurtsson], Nastya [Anastasia O'Koivu], and Toshi [Zigzagooney] were all teammates of mine, either in Buffalo or Colorado. It's been exciting to have them back in the room. So far, my favorite new face has been the rookie, Fred Wanesly. He's a hilarious guy, and is always trying to keep things light in the dressing room. I'm known to be a bit taciturn, but even I've cracked some smiles at Fred's antics.

09-27-2020, 03:53 AMhockeyiscool Wrote: Boxers or briefs?
Mix of briefs and boxer-briefs. I like the support.

09-27-2020, 08:12 AMJumbobone19 Wrote: What is the outlook for Seattle this season? How does Buffalo do defensively without Darrow now?
We have a great defensive group with myself, Toshi, Tig Murphy, Abel Skinner, and Jack Kanoff. A lot of our play will have to come through us at both ends of the ice. Our forwards are a mix of defensively responsible role player veterans and young forwards breaking into the league. I'm hoping we hear the announcers calling Bo Kane and my names this season, as we're two of our better players. To be successful, I think we'll need to have everyone bought into being defensively sound on every shift, and take advantage of the opposition's mistakes to score. The defense will have to help our our goalie, as he's stepping into a starter role for the first time in the SHL. I think we can contend for a playoff spot. The Northwest will be very interesting to watch this season.

Buffalo has been insanely deep for a long time. Augustus Wang and Nicholas Owens will get the chance to step into bigger roles for the Stampede, and I think they're ready for them. They went out and got Edmonton-legend Tor Tuck to fill in the third pair this season. I'm not worried about it; their forwards are still as strong as they've ever been, so I can't imagine they'd get pinned in their own end very often.

09-27-2020, 10:45 AMLordBirdman Wrote: Have you given any thought to how long you want to play in the SHL? Is longevity or productivity more important for you as you begin to regress?
I still feel like I'm at the top of my game, and have given no thought to retirement. I have a lot left in my tank, and think I can be an effective SHL player for a long time still. I know, as I get older and the players around me continue to develop, my role will change. So long as I'm still an effective player, I want to keep playing. Alexis Metzler and Charles Walker played for a long time after they lost a few steps, and were still very effective depth players for us in Buffalo. I'd like to have a similar back end of my career.

09-27-2020, 12:26 PMVandy Wrote: You had a great chemistry with your 3rd pairing team in Buffalo, especially in Eric Vanderberg who you played with in Junior. Will you be bringing the same kind of strategy from Buffalo to Seattle to get the most out of your bottom six and third pairing defense and will you be making any changes?
Thanks for the question! Vandy was a great teammate and friend of mine for a long time. He's one of the league's great glue guys. I think the dynamic in Seattle will be a different one, at least for the role I'll be playing. When I started out, players like Tatu Makela and Alexis Metzler were at the top of their games, and the players I learned from as I developed. Now I'm in that role for younger blueliners like Jack Kanoff and Abel Skinner, as they find their games. I'm thankful that Mr. Hamilton was familiar with our younger blueliners--Jack, Abe, and Mike [Mikas Bieksa]--from their junior careers. He compiled some of their old tape and that helped me get a feel for their games.

Jack had a really rough rookie season for Toronto--he was asked to play top pairing minutes immediately, and was in over his head. He's a great player and person. With Seattle, he won't be asked to play as heavy a role, and will be in a 4/5 role, switching with Skinner. He's a quick guy, very good conditioning, and an eager shooter. I think he'll be a fixture on our power play for a long time.

Skinner's in the opposite situation from Jack, almost. He's played the last few seasons behind some great blueliners in Chicago, and put up very solid numbers in third pairing minutes. We'll need him to step into a bigger role this season. He was a solidly plus player with solid PK time. He has really good defensive instincts, even if his offensive game hasn't transitioned as well as some may have hoped from juniors. I think his floor is similar to how Vandy's career's gone, though I think his upside is much higher. I think he'll learn a lot from Tig Murphy as a veteran and a winner.

If Seattle's going to be successful, both Jack and Abe will keep their upward development going. Tig and I will be a big part of that. The main changes I expect is I need to be a more vocal leader. As the new captain, that comes with enhanced responsibilities for the team. You know I've always been more of reserved guy who works hard as hell on and off the ice. This team needs a little more than that. I'm up for the task. On the ice, I think I can play more than Buffalo needed me to. I still pride myself on my conditioning, and think the team will need me out there 25+ minutes a night while younger players develop. I'm up for the task and can carry that PT load.

09-28-2020, 07:21 PMroastpuff Wrote: What is your goal for this season personally, and for the Seattle Argonauts?
This is a very young team. I've been a part of very strong teams throughout my time in Buffalo, and I've been on weaker teams during my time in the J as well as back in my home country. This team will be most successful a few seasons from now, when many of our young players keep moving forward. We have a very interesting group of S53 players--Kanoff, Fred, Darzins--who are getting some of their first tastes of the SHL. We have our first group of drafted players stepping into larger roles for their juniors teams, who are a few seasons away from playing for Seattle. This year is all about building a strong culture on and off the ice. We will fight for wins, and I think we can be in the mix for a playoff spot.

Success will be the development staff continuing to help our first group of prospects grow and develop their games, so they can be stars in the SMJHL and bring that winning culture to the Argonauts. I have to help the younger players on this team build the habits that will help us keep taking steps forward and buy into what Mr. Smalls is trying to build here. Getting people to commit to this build, commit to playing strong defense in all phases of the game, is important. I have to lead with my play, as I'm the only player on the team currently at the top of their talents and game. The younger players will get better with time, and I want to give them the space to play their games and build a strong foundation. A few seasons from now, I'll likely be able to step into a different role as Abe, Jack, Rykov, Vanice, etc hit their primes. For now, I know the other teams will game plan to take me on directly. It's going to be a new experience for me, one I haven't experienced since my last year of juniors. I'm ready to take on that challenge.

10-02-2020, 05:32 PMBongo Wrote: Will you bring a championship to Seattle?
I hope to, someday. We're battling as best we can this season, and could be in the playoff hunt. Once you make the postseason, anything is possible. I hope to mentor the younger players in the locker room, help them develop good habits, and push the franchise forward. We have some young guys who are eager to learn the game and put their best foot forward. Some have asked me about opening my game film sessions up to more people, so they can get a taste for how I make myself better season to season. I would be honored to be able to be the captain of a Challenge Cup win in Seattle.

10-02-2020, 05:32 PMBongo Wrote: Do you feel slighted for not being protected?
Not at all. I volunteered to be exposed, in part because I planned to walk in free agency after S56 anyway. I couldn't think of a better way to depart than off a Challenge Cup win, and I hope they do well.

10-02-2020, 05:32 PMBongo Wrote: Boiled scrambled or fried
I don't understand the question. What are we boiling? Eggs? I actually prefer poached eggs. A good runny poached egg complements many dishes. On occasion I'll treat myself and make an avocado toast with freshly ground chili powder, pickled red onion, and a poached egg.

Hit me with your questions, folks!

Quote:Ready for grading

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

What would you feel is a successful first season in Seattle for both yourself and the team?

Do you see yourself retiring an Argo or could you see yourself playing somewhere else in the future?

What was your favourite memory of Buffalo? Least favourite?

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2020, 12:24 AM by KlusteR.)

Would you agree that the Northwest Division is currently the toughest division to play in, due to the relative parity between the five teams (two at the top, three at the bottom)? Great Lakes has a heavy Top 3, but it feels as though the path has already been traced for playoff positions in that division, whereas it's anyone's game in the Northwest...

What kind of music do you prefer listening to before a big game? Do you prefer to pump yourself up, or relax your nerves?

Who's your favorite personality in the Seattle locker room so far?

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

Boxers or briefs?

What is the outlook for Seattle this season? How does Buffalo do defensively without Darrow now?

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs

Updated to here!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

Have you given any thought to how long you want to play in the SHL? Is longevity or productivity more important for you as you begin to regress?

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

You had a great chemistry with your 3rd pairing team in Buffalo, especially in Eric Vanderberg who you played with in Junior. Will you be bringing the same kind of strategy from Buffalo to Seattle to get the most out of your bottom six and third pairing defense and will you be making any changes?

bump, feed the whore for $$$

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

What is your goal for this season personally, and for the Seattle Argonauts?

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

09-28-2020, 07:21 PMroastpuff Wrote: What is your goal for this season personally, and for the Seattle Argonauts?
This is a very young team. I've been a part of very strong teams throughout my time in Buffalo, and I've been on weaker teams during my time in the J as well as back in my home country. This team will be most successful a few seasons from now, when many of our young players keep moving forward. We have a very interesting group of S53 players--Kanoff, Fred, Darzins--who are getting some of their first tastes of the SHL. We have our first group of drafted players stepping into larger roles for their juniors teams, who are a few seasons away from playing for Seattle. This year is all about building a strong culture on and off the ice. We will fight for wins, and I think we can be in the mix for a playoff spot.

Success will be the development staff continuing to help our first group of prospects grow and develop their games, so they can be stars in the SMJHL and bring that winning culture to the Argonauts. I have to help the younger players on this team build the habits that will help us keep taking steps forward and buy into what Mr. Smalls is trying to build here. Getting people to commit to this build, commit to playing strong defense in all phases of the game, is important. I have to lead with my play, as I'm the only player on the team currently at the top of their talents and game. The younger players will get better with time, and I want to give them the space to play their games and build a strong foundation. A few seasons from now, I'll likely be able to step into a different role as Abe, Jack, Rykov, Vanice, etc hit their primes. For now, I know the other teams will game plan to take me on directly. It's going to be a new experience for me, one I haven't experienced since my last year of juniors. I'm ready to take on that challenge.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

Anyone else want to ask a question? Smile

If not I'll wrap it up

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

Will you bring a championship to Seattle?

Do you feel slighted for not being protected?

Boiled scrambled or fried

10-02-2020, 05:32 PMBongo Wrote: Will you bring a championship to Seattle?
I hope to, someday. We're battling as best we can this season, and could be in the playoff hunt. Once you make the postseason, anything is possible. I hope to mentor the younger players in the locker room, help them develop good habits, and push the franchise forward. We have some young guys who are eager to learn the game and put their best foot forward. Some have asked me about opening my game film sessions up to more people, so they can get a taste for how I make myself better season to season. I would be honored to be able to be the captain of a Challenge Cup win in Seattle.

10-02-2020, 05:32 PMBongo Wrote: Do you feel slighted for not being protected?
Not at all. I volunteered to be exposed, in part because I planned to walk in free agency after S56 anyway. I couldn't think of a better way to depart than off a Challenge Cup win, and I hope they do well.

10-02-2020, 05:32 PMBongo Wrote: Boiled scrambled or fried
I don't understand the question. What are we boiling? Eggs? I actually prefer poached eggs. A good runny poached egg complements many dishes. On occasion I'll treat myself and make an avocado toast with freshly ground chili powder, pickled red onion, and a poached egg.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors