Create Account

S56 SMJHL Preview

Another season has come to the forefront, and on the eve of S56's first regular season puck drop, I figured I'd take a look at each team, and how they might fare this season. While there's no saying how the GM's will assign their lines and tactics, I'm going to give a overview of the Forwards, Defense, and Goalies of each team, and see who's contending, and who's going to be hoping for the balls to drop their way during the lottery. 

Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws  Outlaws 

Anaheim is probably looking at a rebuilding year this season. They lost one of their top forwards in Ethan Price to the SHL, and have had some bad luck on draft picks in the past few seasons. They of course were in the 4 star cup finals just 2 seasons ago, so that rebuilding phase has to come at some time. They're looking at a strong top forward line with 3 425 TPE players in Boxman II, Sato, and Andrews, but things really fall off fast after that. They also have a great first pairing in LeBlond and Dubolk, but I think its going to be hard for the Outlaws to go deep into the playoffs with a below average bottom 9 forwards and bottom 4 defensemen. Add on their highest TPE goalie being only 270 TPE, I think the Outlaws are probably going to be one of the bottom seeds going into the playoffs, and will be looking at a first round exit. Things could change with some great FHM tactics and some players returning to activity, though, so not all hope is lost. 

Armada 
Anchorage Armada  Armada

Scary. That's the only way to describe this team. Looking much like the Newfoundland Berserkers of S55, this team has 425's coming out of their ears. Five 425 forwards, and five 425 defenseman, along with last year's MVP and Best goalie in the league Scoochie Scratton? Add on a bunch of 350 capped players and this team is poised for a 4 star cup.  The rest of the J better be on watch any time they come up against these guys. If The Armada were in a weaker division I could see them setting a points record, but they do have some tough inter-conference rivals this season. They're cup or nothing this season for sure, and with GoldenApricot setting lines, we could be looking at some serious fire power from these guys this season. Be scared, SMJHL, the Boats are here.

Kraken Carolina Kraken Kraken

The Kraken are in the midst of a mini dynasty. After winning a cup in S54, they put together another cup contending team in the S55 season, but fell short with a disappointing first round sweep from the Vancouver Whalers. They have four 425 forwards, three 425 Defensemen, and a capped goalie in Blunt Man. Not the imposing S54 team, but for sure good enough to contend and make a decent playoff run. Some new blood at the general manager spot might bring some turbulence early in the season, but the Kraken should be back to their winning ways in S56.  

RaptorsColorado RaptorsRaptors

The Raptors are finally hitting their window, thats for sure. After a few rebuilding seasons, the Raptors made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year where they fell to the Kelowna Knights. This was their first deep playoff run in a few seasons, and they came just a game away from the Western Conference finals. They're sporting 5 425 forwards, and three 425 defensemen, a pretty good squad going into the season. The only issue I see for this team is the fact that they're sporting a 230 TPE goalie right now, and while TPE starts mattering less in the SHL, those small incremental increases in stats down in the J mean quite a lot. The defense will have to keep the crease clear, and get in front of a lot of shots to try and help out whatever of the three 230-ish goalies the Raptors send out there. 

Falcons Detroit Falcons Falcons

The Falcons have done a great job rebuilding after the cup win in S53, but I don't think they're hitting their window yet. They did a great job in the S55 draft, snagging up a bunch of players who are near guaranteed to cap out for the team. With only a single 425 player on the roster this season, I can't see them doing the same kind of damage they did in their record setting S53 season. With a few other retooling teams out there, the Falcons may find themselves in a good position come playoff time, but they'll have to have the puck tumble their way for sure. 

KnightsKelowna Knights Knights

My knights, my first team, are not looking at another deep playoff run. I was of course traded away to Vancover mid-way through the offseason, in an attempt to pick up some good draft picks in exchange for a guaranteed call-up and one year rental. They lost a ton of players to the SHL last season, with Jaska Seppala, Ethan Duncan, Rocco Berni, Justin Keahi, and Daniel Laforest all being called up to the major leagues. Losing 6 capped forwards in one season is never going to be a good thing, and Kelowna is entering their retooling phase at the right time. Their strong defensive core might be able to steal them some games, and if a forward line gets hot anything could happen, but Kelowna isn't poised to make a playoff run this season. 

Timber
Maine Timber Timber

While Kelowna was my first team, the Timber are my hometown team. Being eliminated by them in S55, and losing a shot at the 4 star cup, really sucked. The Timber are in all honesty looking at another cup run, with six 425 forwards, giving them a potent offensive attack. They are also good with a first defensive pairing featuring two 425's, but the rest of their defensive corps are 350 or below. Leo Bloomfield will be tending net for them, and could be 425 by the first or 2nd week of the season with an update. I like Maine to be a good team in the East, and win a playoff series. 

Battleborn 
Nevada Battleborn Battleborn

Our first look at an expansion team comes in the Battleborn. They were swept last season in the first round by the Knights, but did a good job with their draft, and have quite a few 350 TPE players going into S56. They only have three 425's, so they probably won't be making a deep playoff push this season, but Jearim and Noka have done a great job building for the future. Another good draft, and their current players getting older, could mean some hardware ending up in Nevada in the near future.

Berserkers Newfoundland Berserkers
Berserkers

Last year's champions, and an absolute juggernaut, the Berserkers look primed for another cup run. Four 425 Defensemen, Six 425 Forwards, and star goalie, the Berserkers are ready to run it back. They lost some key pieces to the Majors, just like Kelowna, but they should be able to keep things together well enough to perform throughout the season. They might not dominate the league like they did last year, but there's a good shot we see them as a final four team, and might see them bring home the cup.

Citadelles Quebec City Citadelles Citadelles

The 2nd expansion team, the Citadelles! QCC actually won their first round matchup last season, doing a great job building for the present, and also the future. They have two 425's, and a miriad of 350's, and with some luck could see another run like they had last season. I like the position both expansion teams are in, and they are honestly both looking like contenders in the near future, just not this season. The J is very strong right now, with S53, S54, and S55 all being great drafts, and NBB/QCC are victims of that league growth.

Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows Scarecrows

Our penultimate team review will be the St. Louis Scarecrows. St. Louis finds themselves in a middle ground, a lot like some of the other teams we've looked at. They have a decent roster, but with the J being so strong right now, it might be hard for them to compete with the top heavy sluggers like Vancover, NL, Anchorage, Maine, and Colorado. They may be looking at a re-tool year this year, but some magic could see them making a decent season out of S56.

Whalers Vancouver Whalers Whalers
Vancouver will be good. Hopefully I can start scoring goals again, and not put up a 3% SH%. 10 425's, good goalie, things will be fun in Vancouver this season. Jason Desrealeaux is also good. Go whalers. @dmills3sucks. 

Code:
1632 words.

[Image: rotti.gif]

We swept the Whalers and lost the ECF in 7 to Newfoundland but overall a good article.

[Image: mTgAyCs.png]

I could have went with more flattery tbh

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Falcons Falcons Falcons Falcons Falcons Falcons Falcons Falcons

Drafted 2nd round 21st Pick by the Winnipeg Jets in S55 SHL Entry Draft 
GM of the UCORCAL in the WJC S55
S55 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for UCORCAL
Management Role for Russia in the IIHF
Recent Management Role / Head Coach for Winnipeg Aurora in SHL 
CO-GM St. Louis Scarecrows S57-S60
GM of the St. Louis Scarecrows S61-S72
S72 Challenge Cup Champion
[Image: 6JpC94j.png]
[Image: image0.png]
[Image: IMG_0301.jpg]

People be sleeping on the Knights! Just you watch! We may stumble out the gate, but once our young forwards get their sea legs under them it's OVER

@RotticusScott The Falcons have 4 capped 425 players, not 1... but good read, thank you.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

@roastpuff my apologies

[Image: rotti.gif]

All good, just wanted to point that out!

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

Raptors

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

Armada FOR LIFE BABY

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland