Create Account

S56 mPT #2 - Behind the Player Name

Nick Brain came from a long-time player on the England/Great Britain hockey team from EA's NHL 98 to NHL 18. GB/England were generally one of the weaker teams in the game and a fun punching bag for people to beat up on, so the name Nick Brain may have stood out to any of you playing in that particular matchup. It stood out to me, and I decided to join this site with him, figuring he'd be a reasonable-quality depth forward similar to his EA counterpart at times (I think he was 81 overall in NHL 2004?). The rest as they say is history and now he's forever elite to anyone who knows anything about the SHL.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

geckoey is gecko with the suffix ey, commonly used to mean 'like'. Thusly, my username can be derived to be Gecko-like gecko. wait fuck that was the last pt thank fuck becausee i dont have a good answer for it

Simon Takshaks name is taken from his father, Tokek Takshak (names for the tokay gecko in two different languages, bahasa and malay i think), and his first name comes of course from our favourite simon t

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 01:37 AM by Kyamprac.)

Not gonna lie, I suck at picking names. I thought about picking the same player as I use in the ISFL but figured that was a cop out.. although I was still kinda lazy because I plugged some stuff into a generator somewhere and voila, Sarah Burke. Generic white girl Canada name.

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!

I just watched Beverly Hills cop and the main character was Axel Foley, they played Axel F. as his theme song, and that made me think of Crazy Frog. I really enjoyed the movie, and decided to hop back onto the SHL to create a few days later and the name Axel Foley stuck out to me randomly, and then I thought about it and I chose it because the movie was pretty funny and stuck out to me.

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Well there's definitely not too much behind my player's name, basically I had met someone who coached my dad when he was playing bantam hockey and he told me a really cool story about him, so I just used that story as the basis for my players background so naturally I just created my dad

[Image: Qfss7w7.png]      [Image: 8yB62LM.png]
[Image: W19eaver.gif]

Easy. It's totally random. I checke the IIHF player counts, and decided Switzerland would be a goo home. Then I googled 'popular Swiss names', got sidetracked and ended up on idk what side if the internet. I then returned to the SHL tab in Chrome, and realized I still needed a name. Copied the last name I rembered, and changed it like a dozen times until I ended up with this.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Hippo is built very wide, but short. Although he had a growth spurt in his late thirties. His name still holds true.
When he was younger he was short but wide, and aggressive on the ice. Like a Hippo

RETIRED

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 03:02 AM by FinnRhys.)

Code:
words = 34
I am one of those people whose username is also their player's name. The only difference is that my player is FR Finn-Rhys with the FR, of course, standing for Finn-Rhys.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

It was actually very basic, and just as boring of a story as the name itself. Being a defender, I sort of quickly thought of bubble NHL names, and of course being a Canucks fan, Ben Hutton came to mind pretty quick. So now a first name, something you would suppose a good ole Western Canada hockey boy to be called. Connor. But no, let us do Conner because his parents think he should be unique.

Usually for character names I just use whatever is the first thing that comes to mind. Kirkby is an area in Liverpool and I just liked the sound of the name Rex in conjunction with it. As a nice aside there has never been another Rex nor Kirkby in SHL history.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Wiktionary defines "Berk" as "British slang meaning a fool, prat or twit" and what better way to represent a country bumpkin from rural Ontario than with a misspelled variation on this. Also I once had a basset hound called Walter and he was as dumb as rocks. It's a double dumb bonanza.

[Image: zdoMJuR.png]

For those who aren't aware, @WannabeFinn had previously made two Kekkonen players and when it came time for me to recreate I wanted to carry on my friend's legacy by making another one. I asked his permission for it and decided to make the third member of the family to hit the league. I decided on Kaarlo because it kind referenced my first two players, who were both named Karlsson, as well as being a Finnish name so it worked out perfectly

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Jakob Hamr was a character I had in the now defunct Championship Fighting League, who canonically signed up for hockey after that league folded so that he could continue pummeling people. The name Hamr for the fighting league came from a combination of wanting an eastern European character inspired by Ivan Drago, and wanting an over the top fighting name. Doctor Hamr was a Czechian teacher I had in high school, so that felt right.

[Image: tomhanks.gif]

[Image: TH-Sig_.gif?width=479&height=337]

My players name is also my username. No big story behind it, it is a combination of my nickname from school and word 'me' in my language. You can guess what means what in JstMaro by yourself.

[Image: Zyhl0FL.png]

I like to play sort of a legacy game and build a family storyline so my current player already is the third generation of his family playing in the SHL. As such, he was born while his father was playing in Buffalo and therefore has both American and German aspects to his identity since he is still a German national but has lived in the US all his life. So I tried to pick a first name that works and is somewhat common in both countries while his last name is a carry over from my previous players. Back at my first player I came very close to just using my real name as my player name, luckily I ended up not doing that - I did still use my real first name back then however.