Create Account

S56 mPT #2 - Behind the Player Name

I'm not very creative. I just used my own name. I am Steve Harrington, star of Stranger Things. When I'm not playing hockey, I am fighting Russians or upside down monsters.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

Being notoriously bad at coming up with names and not wanting to use my real name, I took Calvin Hobbes as I'm a big fan of the series and have always loved the humor and feeling Bill Watterson managed to get throughout the strips.

[Image: m59RPb7.png]   [Image: FcWmVTl.png]
[Image: krazkoSEA.gif]
credit to amazing @Carpy48, @Ragnar @sköldpaddor, @the_paytonium & @sulovilen !

Danny just seemed like a good hockey player name. Considering I've seen a fair few other Daniels and Dannys since joining the site, it seems like it was a good call.

If I recall right, I used a character name generator for the last name. I almost used Thompson, but changed to Marston when I decided to be a Center instead of a wing. I don't know why, I guess Marston seems more like a Center's last name.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Adrian Ayers is named after the best player in Hockey Dynasty, Adrian Ayers  Wink
In season 3, Ayers captured the scoring title with 60 points in 40 games. He is doing a lot better in HD then in the SHL.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

I wanted to go a bit foreign for mvdh's name so i combined the names of two dutch soccer players (mitchell van bergen and jan-arie van der heijden) and thus the name was created

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

My player name came from wanting a British kind of name because I wanted to make a player from Great Britian. I picked the name Liam mostly because I liked it, but it also came up when searched UK names. I picked the last name Slate similariliy because it was an option also because it sounded cool to me. Another option I was considering was using the name Onyx somewhere but I decided against it because I kind of wanted a real name rather than a funny/meme/copy name that I have used mostly on SHL.

Code:
97 Words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Raivo Helminen is a little play on words, a player called Raimo Helminen is a real legendary Finnish center. He is an extremely smooth and cool guy who is known for his playmaking ability. I wanted to do the exact opposite with this player, I want Raivo Helminen to be someone who is known for aggression and scoring.

'Raivo' means rage in Finnish, so that goes well with playing style. Helminen and position is one way to pay some homage to the original R. Helminen.

Jack Klompus is a recurring character from Seinfeld. Jerry's parents move to Florida and across a few episodes Jerry interacts with Klompus. Main episodes revolving around Klompus buying the Seinfeld's Cadillac and Jack's cool pen. Anyways, I normally steal my player names from things so here's thiis one.

Code:

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

KnockedOut ByOvechkin is a pretty self explanatory name. I'm a big Carolina Hurricanes fan and Andrei Svechnikov is my favorite player. When I decided to create in SHL I wanted Svech as my render and wanted to think of a clever name, and so I remembered during the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs during the Hurricanes - Capitals series that the Hurricanes ended up winning in Game 7 that Svech got knocked out by old man Ovechkin in a fight during the series. So I decided to use that moment as my player name.

[Image: Ugn5gZg.jpg]

If you've followed my time in this league you might be aware of all my player names and found the pattern. Outside of Damian Littleton, all my player names have been some of the more obscure names mentioned on The Simpsons. Rock Strongo is just the continuation of that trend.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

I never thought I would have to explain this.
My player originally comes from a player I created in one of the EA NHL video games in "Be a pro". I made this one goalie and wanted to give him a somewhat distinctive look, so he ended up with long dark red hair. Next I needed a name and I wanted something fitting. There used to be an old joke among my friends where we called people with particularly long hair 'carpet', as in "Look at that guy and the carpet on his head". Of course none of the hairstyles you could choose in the video game were that crazy, but you get the point.
Somehow I came up with the first name because of the similar sound (hairy). It's almost a little embarrassing that I only found out later that the name has a double meaning (my only excuse here is that I'm not a native English speaker...). However, it's so funny and kind of a meme name that I kep it. Essentially I modeled my goalie here after the one I had in "Be a pro" before. Just imagine him with long red hair.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

I wanted to create my first player's son and I wanted the first name to be somewhat meaningful. Back when I first joined, @Eggy216 and I had this kind of friendly rivalry going on (yall can guess who was actually the best dman of our draft class) and I liked the idea that our players' friendship kept existing beyond their career so Maria would've named her firstborn after her best friend.

I'm also hoping his SHL luck rubs off on me but that's another story.

[Image: engishl.gif]
FranceMonarchsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsFrance

I named my player as myself. Not gonna lie i dont really give a fuck about being doxed so whatever. Seemed like a good idea at the time and hasnt really been that bad of an idea at the moment, besides people being shocked i cant spell after looking me up.

Had three ideas for my second player

Either use my irl name,
A Russian player
Or a Ukrainian player.

Figured out a random way to pick and then randomized the name. Boom!

Ruslan Zaporozhets is born

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 08:43 AM by notoriousTRON.)

I really enjoy my player name because it's personal to me. My maternal grandmother immigrated to the United States after World War II from Wales, UK. I never got to meet her because she passed when my mother was 16 but I keep in touch with her nieces and nephews (my mom's cousins) who still live in various parts of the British Isles. In 2016 I had the opportunity to meet many of them when I took a trip over there with my then fiance. Anyway, the family name on that side is a traditional Welsh name: Pritchard. Because I love my Welsh heritage, I knew I wanted my player to be Welsh and Pritchard was a nice way to honor my family roots. As for the first name, I've always loved the name Rhys which is Welsh as well. In fact, my wife and I briefly considered the name for a son, but ultimately went a different direction. Thus you have the name Rhys Pritchard. My render was more or less random, but I'm a Blues fan so I wanted to grab someone from the roster who was unlikely to be used by anyone else so I chose Zach Sanford. He doesn't have a lot of good photos out there for sigs unfortunately.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]