Create Account

All The Times I've Been Traded

Trades Double Media (~1700 words)

Hello SHL Friends!

With the Trade Deadline fast approaching, some players may be feeling anxious or nervous, wondering if they will have to pack a suitcase and head to a new team. But what does it mean to be traded? Does it mean you are a bad player, or a bad teammate? Is it just because GMs really only view you as an asset, not as a real person with real feelings?
Won't somebody please think of the players!?!

Well, As someone who has experience with being a traded player, I thought I would share with you all the times I have been traded, and how I felt about it at the time.

Sometimes trades can be shocking, sometimes they can be big deals, sometimes they can be because of necessity, but nonetheless it is always a change and can come with its own set of feels.

So, I thought I would give a rundown of all the times my players have been involved in trades and share those stories, so when it's your turn to be traded, you will know that it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world!

-------------------

1. S22/23 Offseason - Riko Muerto from EDM to HAM : LINK TO TRADE

Riko was drafted by EDM and spent the first 7 seasons of his SHL career with them, and it was a great experience. However, I was feeling a little bit like I might want to test FA, and maybe see what it would be like to play for someone else. I had kind of felt that my player should be performing better than he was in EDM and maybe a new team could maximize his potential. So I had given fair warning to EDM management in the S22 offseason that I would probably be testing FA when my S23 contract expired. A few days later, they came to me and said, we have a deal in place if you would be willing to sign an extension for a sign-and-trade. The destination team was HAM, who at the time was deep in a tampering scandal which had cost them 3 1st rd picks. I was slightly hesitant but I also wanted EDM to be able to get something back if I left because they had always treated me fairly and I didn't want to screw them over. So even though it meant I wouldn't actually get to test FA, I agreed to the signing and to waive my NTC to make the deal happen.

So I went to HAM as a pretty high TPE earner (in these days 1200 was big TPE lol how things have changed) and hoping to maybe get some good results. Turns out my 3 seasons in HAM were my best ever seasons with Riko, and we won the Cup in S24 and Riko was a Razov candidate after a magical run. EDM ended up winning some cups also, as Muller was the big piece g0ing back, and he had a solid run with the Blizzard also, so that in the end, I believe this was a good trade for both sides.

2. S27/28 Offseason - Wyatt Wollker from TEX to LAP : LINK TO TRADE

This was the one trade that came as an absolute shocker - hyped as 'The Trade That Broke the SHL' - multiple big names being moved, the kind of trade you don't see very often, for sure. I had just been drafted 1st OV to TEX in S26, and fully expected to spend my entire career with the Renegades, and even though my first 2 seasons were nothing spectacular, as I had entered the league as a pure rookie in S26, obviously I wasn't going to be an all star or anything at that point. I had no indication that I was on the block at all, I woke up one morning and logged into SHL with a message from Deener telling me that I had been traded. I was totally stunned. Like most people, I think when I checked the actual trade, I was pretty surprised at the magnitude of it.

Even though it was a surprise, I wasn't unhappy because LAP had always been a team I really admired and had a ton of people I really liked. So even though I didn't want to leave TEX, at least I was going to a team that had a lot going for it at the time.

3. S29/30 Offseason - Wyatt Wollker from LAP to MAN : LINK TO TRADE

So after 2 seasons in LAP, everything was all good, but an opportunity opened up for a new GM in Manhattan. I was lucky enough to be hired for the role, but what it meant was that, as my first act as GM, I would have to find a way to get Wollker onto MAN because of league rules. Now, if you read the trade discussion, you'll see that I was crapped on pretty hard for the move. However, I didn't think it was fair for Wasty to lose a top-tier defender for nothing, so we wanted to make a reasonable swap, which pretty much meant Crutchfield would go back - he was 1 season younger than Wollker but both were considered future franchise dmen, which they were. The other pieces of the trade were a bit harder to put together, as LAP really wanted to bring ragnar back, but in exchange I wanted a couple of solid pieces back.
With the benefit of hindsight, I think it's safe to say this trade wasn't the pure LAP win that so many called, as MAN went on to win 2 cups in 3 finals appearances with Wollker, who became a HoF player based on his play with the Rage. So, secretly, whenever people shit on me for trades, I just remember this one, and how everyone trashed me, but it turned out I was right.

4. S39 TDL - Wyatt Wollker from MAN to EDM
: LINK TO TRADE

After the Rage unexpectedly won the Cup in S38, things there kinda fell apart, which honestly is its own documentary on the History Channel. However, in the aftermath, JY had taken over as GM, and he needed to start thinking about the future, with a team without many draft picks or young prospects to work with. I had told JY I was willing to be sold if they could get a good return. When the deal was on the table, I was happy to see it happen, because it meant I got to back to the Blizzard where my SHL career began. Wollker spent his last 4 seasons in EDM, and even though we did not have the playoff success we had hoped for, it was a great experience and was a fun way to wind down a long career.

5. S49 TDL - Goku Muerto from SFP to WPG : LINK TO TRADE

So Goku was drafted to SFP as part of a massive rebuild in S43. It was a tough first few seasons there as we were not a strong team, but the commitment to the youth build was real, and we kept making steady progress, and had even become a playoff team. However, I was in a selfish frame of mind, and decided that I was going to test FA when my contract expired, because I never had a chance to do it before. I wasn't willing to take a minimum contract to stay in SFP, I was never going to have a better chance to get paid some big bucks. Of course, the team, and Goku especially, were having just a godawful season, nothing was going right. I also happened to be the SFP coach at the time, and when I was 'relived' of my coaching duties at around the halfway point, I knew the writing was on the wall. I just didn't know where I would end up. However, at Trade Deadline, I was shipped off to Winnipeg and spent the rest of the season there. True to my word, I still went to FA that offseason and got a nice fat contract from MAN. So, to all players out there, if you are ever considering FA, just do it, it's a lot of fun! Of course GMS will tell you that they want you to sign min dollars for max term, that benefits the GM more than anybody, but don't listen to them, they don't really care about you! Look out for number one first!

6. S51/52 Offseason - Goku Muerto from MAN to WPG
: LINK TO TRADE

So after my contract with MAN was expiring, I was prepared to go to FA again, since we never had the Cup run I wanted with MAN. However, once again a GM opportunity opened up, with Winnipeg. At that point, not only was WPG already one of the top 3 teams I would have targeted in FA, I was also itching to get back into the GM game, so I threw my application in, and luckily was given another chance to helm a team. Now, I had always thought that I would do MAN right and only do a sign and trade with whoever signed me, so they could get something back after showing faith in me and spending a lot of cap on me, and so I held true to that and made a deal with MAN to trade for myself. Not necessary, maybe, but still the right thing to do in my books. Of course, MAN went on to win the Cup that season. Since that trade, Goku has had his best personal seasons with the Jets so from that perspective, it was a good move for him!

So anyway, now that I am GMing again, it is unlikely that my player will be traded anytime soon, but you never know what might happen in the future!

But, as you can see, sometimes trades come as a shock, sometimes they are expected, but it can often lead to a great new experience and also lead to some media material, so there's that!

So keep a suitcase packed just in case, and be prepared to wake up one morning and find out you're on a new team, because you never know what might happen!

[Image: 67e.png]

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Damn this is history

Your a man of great travels...

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria