Create Account

S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub

There is no unelected player who deserves to be spoken about having a hall of fame repertoire more than a certain recently retired Hamilton Steelhawks winger who committed so much to the team and led the squad in scoring multiple times. I of course am referring to the undisputed Hamilton GOAT, Flacko Lagerfield @JSS . His 42 goal, 84 point season alone should be worthy of an induction the moment he is eligible for it. Why are we even waiting until he's eligible? Just get him in there already lol who could even feasibly be his competition? No man has ever managed to single handedly carry a team to success like Lagerfield did for Hamilton, and any of his former teammates would confirm how much of the workload he took upon himself. If he had played his entire career in Hamilton instead of being weighed down by his years in Tampa Bay, you could make a case for Lagerfield being the best player to ever play hockey. Actually? I'm making that case anyway to be honest.

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Michael Izzy is retired and also technically not in the Hall of Fame, so I am going to argue his case because I hate this player task and whoever suggested it. Mike Izzy has a very long career and very dedicated to hits, one of the best in the league. If I am not mistaken, he holds the records for hits all time. And if I am mistaken, who cares because I'm trying to write 150 words here. At any rate, Mike played for nearly 20 seasons, i think, and hit hundreds of hits every season. Meanwhile, he was racking up points and winning championships. He survived lean times and full times. He is likely the best calgary dragon that ever was or ever will be. The man CREATED the all time hits history page, if that tells you anything of his proclivities. Mike Izzy never set a record for single season hits, but this is irrelevant because his true legacy is one of consistency and longevity. 1st Ballot HoF.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

After coming back to the SHL just about eight month ago after a five year break, it was nice to see some of my old teammates from my days playing with the Toronto North Stars, Manhattan rage and Hamilton Steelhawks now in the SHL hall of fame. However there was one name I was shocked that is not in the hall of fame which I had the pleasure of being teammates with and that is Chester Cunningham. I remember him being an absolute stud for the Toronto North Stars and one of the best young players in the league when Scherbluk was winding down his career. Looking at his stats he consistently put up over thirty five points a season and scored over eight hundred and fifty points in his career which spanned twenty seasons. What really surprises me is that players with a lot less points are in the hall of fame. While he was never the top point scorer in the league I think Chester’s consistently great offensive production should not go unnoticed.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

I'm going to make the case for the highest-scoring player still not in the HOF, and who is up for election into the HOF - Trevor Wilson. Playing exactly 20 seasons and 1000 games, enough longevity is there to be considered. What stands out to me about Wilson and the HOF players with similar points to him (753 points), is that Wilson only had 141 Powerplay points, significantly lower than those near him on the lists. This indicated that Wilson did a lot more of his heavy lifting earning points in 5 on 5, and setting up an argument for him being one of the better even strength forces in his category. Earning over a 0.75 PPG while earning less PP or SH time than his contemporaries is also reflected in Wilson's sub-20,000 minutes played (19,914) - again, players near him in all-time points jump past 20,000, even as high as 25,000 while earning roughly less or equal points. Wilson di the most with what they are given, and haven't set themselves up for a HOF career with a specialty stat or some extra PIMs - Wilson was a consistent offensive force throughout his career, and particularly thrived with the matchups as close as they could be.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

[Image: RlvUXSg.png]

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

I'm going to go with a sure lock for HoF once he is eligble. This is a first ballot player if I've ever seen one. Joe Kurczewski, deserves and will be in the hall of fame. Joe had an illustrious career winning league MVP, and four challenge cups in his career. He plays over 1,100 games in his career and scored 940 points. Those are some pretty impressive numbers. Put that on top of all the team success that he has had over the years, and it's no surprise to anyone that we will be seeing his name in the hall as soon as he is eligible. Joe was a great threat on offense shooting a career 10.4% and also scoring 80% of his points at even strength! That's going to be a very impressive and less paid attention to stat out of all the ones we could be looking at.

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

I am going to say that Joe Kurczewski is a retired player that should be in the SHL hall of fame. The only reason he probably isn't in the Hall right now is that he hasn't been retired for the correct amount of seasons to qualify (I am guessing at least). In 24 seasons, Joe ended up putting up 940 points which was good for 7th all time for SHL scoring, just behind recently retired Robert Phelps. Joe is one of the few players in SHL history who have managed to score 400 or more goals, and is the only player in the top 10 for SHL scoring to have over 200 as his plus/minus rating. Kurczewski also played a physical game, amassing over 2000 hits in his career while still managing to fire over 3800 shots on net. All this rounds out to show that Joe was a complete player that deserves a spot in the SHL Hall of Fame. I'm not entirely sure all the awards he amassed, but I know he won a few cups and had to have some individual awards too. So I think it is a safe bet that he makes it.
199 words

Since I am a goalie and goaltender is far and wide my favorite position, I figured I ought to highlight a goalie for this PT. I was taking a look at the spreadsheet and of course Beaujeaux Biscuit caught my eye. This is a goaltender who should absolutely be in the Hall of Fame on seasons played alone (which is seventeen). It's a tremendous feat to make it that far in this game when you consider regression and the amount of TPE you need to earn to play that long. When you factor that as well as Biscuit's stats you can surmise that Biscuit is a slam dunk for the hall of fame. I can only hope that I can achieve such levels as seventeen seasons, 679 games played, 368 wins, 23 shut outs, and a career save percentage of .905 as well as a goals against of 2.9. This is a quality tender who deserves the respect of having his name in the hall so let's go ahead and get him in there.

178 words

[Image: p82ugau.png]

I believe that a deserving inductee to the Hall of Fame is former New England Wolfpack goaltender, Mikke Laukkanen!

Laukkanen was a player who made their name around the time I joined the league and was a player who lasted for a long time, playing in 603 games in his career! He won 329 of those games and had shutout games in 37 of those wins. It is a fact that he is the leader for both wins and shutouts for a player who isn’t already in the Hall of Fame! It is a shame that he was not included on this basis alone.

Laukkanen had a very successful career in New England and was even able to win a cup for the team so it is disappointing that he was not selected to join the Hall of Fame. The Wolfpack knows how good Mikke was and so will remember his career very fondly for the rest of the league’s history!

[Image: W8ZyU0w.png]
[Image: EilhEKw.gif]

Wolfpack Canada Battleborn

Cleo Green.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

I was scrolling through the list of players when I came across a stellar example of a hockey body. Brandon Cant began his career in S26 and amassed a total of 1110 games in his tenure. That is 23357 minutes which is good for 16th in the entire league in terms of time played. That is a serious commitment to the game and shows that he was good enough to keep on the ice according to GMs. I think what amazes me the most is that he managed to keep his +/- at 69 by the end of that career. There are 3 other players in the league with that +/- currently and they are no where near to the same amount of games played as this legend and 2 of them are up for HOF. This guy wasn't a game breaking machine, but he was a consistent player that played physical and backed his team up. When it comes to a player, this guys got snubbed.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

There are a lot of players that surely are worthy enough to make the Hall of Fame, however when I look at the list of players who have yet to get in, I look at Alex Light and wonder why he's still a nominee and why he hasn't been inducted yet. Light had a very successful career, spanning over 18 seasons. His 726 points in 900 games makes him the player with the 2nd most points who has yet to get in to the Hall of Fame. There aren't many SHL players who finished their SHL careers above a point per game, and that's why Light's 0.806 PPG is nothing to be laughed at. It's even higher than all time points leader Esa Anrikkanen.

On top of his individual production, Light was a staple for the Platoon and helped them to a Challenge Cup with 3 times in his tenure with the team. While his individual hardware cabinet may be a little bit bare, I don't think this should impact his chances to make it in to the Hall, as there are others who have made it with much fewer accolades. Add the fact that he holds multiple franchise records and I think the answer for whether or not he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame is answered pretty clearly.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

All aboard the Alex Light train. Either way you want to carve it, the only reason Light isn't currently in the hall boils down to two things: Individual awards, and stacked classes. Should a stacked class mean he doesn't get in first ballot? Sure, but those classes do thin out a little bit, and I fully expect him to get the nod sooner or later. For goals there is only one person above him not in the hall - Trevor Wilson, and he played 2 seasons and 100 more games and holds onto a 10 goal lead. If Light played one more season I'm sure he would have surpassed that 10 goal mark, even the state that West Kendall was in at that time. Ok, what about points. Same story, this time it is a 27 point gap, and guess who Trevor Wilson is there. maybe I should be making a case for Wilson, but I didn't know him, I assume he was before my time which admittingly has not been very long on site.

So my argument for inclusion on light basically boils down to there are a lot of players with less points, less goals, less longevity, more longevity who are in the Hall of Fame. Players have less team and individual accolades. I don't think it's an issue aside from stacked classes, Light should be in.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

I went and dug down the list to try and find someone who I don't think the rest of the league is going to give enough attention to and settled on Bobby Watson.  Looking at the list provided the most prolific scorer in SHL history averaged just shy of .73 points per game which is just absurd to think about.  But you know what? Bobby Watson beat that my almost a full .07 points per game. His 600 points in 751 games comes in at .798 points per game over 16 seasons played and that to me is just completely absurd.  Digging a little deeper into goals and assists per game Bobby is 1) incredibly even with 291 goals and 309 assists and 2) outperforms Esa Anrikkanen in both of those categories as well.  The narrative around Bobby Watson should mirror that of Mario Lemieux.  Yeah he doesn't have the volume that other people before him had, but his per game statistics aren't only on par with the SHL's greats throughout history, but actually beat those same greats over a sample size that I think is large enough to matter.  That is to say, he didn't play a game and get a hat trick, no he still played over 750 games over his 16 seasons in the SHL.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2020, 05:26 PM by O4L.)

Decided to go with a GM instead of a player but think this is one of the bigger snubs in SHL history. xDpark should absolutely be in the HOF as a GM and was the biggest HOF snub of the early SHL era. Dpark GM'd two seasons in S8/S9, during that period he won cups both years, won two Krever awards for best GM (lol @ that award name), and ended his tenure with that highest cup win rate % ever, a record that can't be broken and most likely won't ever be tied either.

Awards won by the Dragons when Park was GM include:
S8: Reggie Williams - Damian Littleton Trophy
S8: Aidan Richan - JJ Krever Award
S8: Ryan Jesster - Fernando Garcia Trophy
S8: Ryan Jesster - Sarmad Khan Trophy
S8: Ryan Jesster - Mike Honcho Trophy
S8: Ryan Jesster - Anton Razov Trophy
S9: Aidan Richan - JJ Krever Award
S9: Ryan Jesster - Damian Littleton Trophy
S9: Kain Webb - Anton Razov Trophy
S8 - Cole Reinhart Trophy - Western Conference Champions
S9 - Cole Reinhart Trophy - Western Conference Champions
S8 - Calgary Dragons - Challenge Cup Champions
S9 - Calgary Dragons - Challenge Cup Champions

GM's in HOF that Park has more cups than:
WadeyB
Gifter Of Bikes
Joe McKeil

As many cups as:
Tanner
Boon
NateyD
Jay Mac

And remember, Park won as many cups as these GM's in way less games played, something that should help his case instead of hurt it. The fact that Park 100% would've been in the HOF if he had GM'd 3 more seasons with a .500 record or worse and not won any more cups makes this snub even worse, success should be valued more than longevity when they both produce equal results. I don't even think he was left out of the HoF on purpose, like Mike Verminski he was just left off the ballot and then eventually forgotten about but Verminski was eventually put in back in S42 once the HOF noticed the mistake. The guy won back to back cups (this has happened 5 times in SHL history and every other GM that did it was inducted), won back to back Krever awards, made multiple trades that got his team those back to back cups, and still wasn't inducted at the time. The SHL should go back and right their wrong by inducting him.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23