Create Account

S56 SMJHL PT #5 - Highlight Reel

Kaapo Kampainen is a short one so far, so there aren't many highlights to draw from the undrafted free agent's career so far. Kaapo had slow beginnings on the Anaheim Outlaws' fourth line and the minimal playing time didn't really give him enough time to showcase his talents. At least Kaapo thought he was talented until he was in the SMJHL. His first career point came in his eighth game, against the Nevada Battleborn, where he assisted a DuBolk goal with Steve Tkachuk, his new teammate. It was an important game for the Outlaws who were fightning for first place in the division with the Battleborn at that point. 

His first career goal came five games later in a 7-6 loss against the Detroit Falcons. His line was on the ice immediately after the team allowed a goal and Kaapo gave his coach a reason why he should send him on the ice in these circumstances by scoring a quick goal. 

The third highlight of his career so far is his second goal and third point, came in his latest again, a 6-3 loss against the Maine Timber. He scored under similar circumstances, scoring mere seconds after the team just allowed a goal. 

There aren't many hightlights in Kaapo Kampainen's career so far, but there are many more to come.

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

Alright, let's do it. Three things on the Jon St. Ark highlight reel from his rookie season. Actually not that hard of a list to come up with. 

1. Getting drafted in the first round, sixth overall
Obviously you go into draft night with high hopes and great expectations, but you never know exactly how everything can turn out. Maybe you think you have a good shot going to a particular team, but then a player unexpectedly falls or your desired team gets a juicy trade offer and now you've been passed over and drop in the draft. Good players sometimes fall further than they should because one team zigs when others thought they were going to zag, and the other teams don't want to adjust their draft board. Fortunately for me, I went about as early as I could have seen myself going, with the sixth pick in the draft to the Vancouver Whalers, first goalie off the board. 

2. First shutout of career 
My first career shutout came in a 1-0 victory over the Detroit Falcons. It was a home game, the 16th game of the season. Detroit has had a tough year, but there's still plenty of talent on that team and some players who know how to score. The offense was having a slow night and couldn't get much going. At the end of regulation, neither team had scored. So we went to an overtime. And then at the end of that overtime, it was still 0-0. Fortunately the Whalers managed to put one in during the shootout, but it was a tense game from start to finish.

3. Selected to the All-Star Game
I mean, what can I really say? Confidence isn't something I've lacked in the league, but believing in yourself isn't the same thing as getting the recognition and the attention from the others in the league. Honestly I went into the season hoping that I wouldn't screw up too much and give Name Redacted a little time off in between starts. Fortunately, the Whalers are a tremendous team from top to bottom, and being able to fit in and excel has really helped my game. It put me in the best position to succeed, and the voters noticed. 

Code:
Word count: 376

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

Matty Sandeen has experienced countless ups and downs through out the year as a Newfoundland Berserker. It has been a tough year for Matty on the ice and as the playoffs near, Sandeen now understand how hard it is to be successful in the SMJHL. Although adapting to the level of play has been tough, Matty has had many positive experiences as well. His top 3 experiences of the year were :
3. Scoring his first goal in the SMJHL. 
2. The first SMJHL game played. Throwing the jersey on for the very first time is a moment he will never forget.
1. Getting drafted number 4 overall by the Newfoundland Berserkers. Not only did they see enough in me to take me 4th overall, they even traded up all the way from the 12th pick to make it happen.
Being drafted and playing for Newfoundland has been an absolute dream come true for Sandeen.

It's been a memorable year for SMJHL rookie Rob Wright. Between draft day and now - ten games remaining in the season - there've been many unique and big-"growth"-moments. We asked Rob to comment a little bit about the memories he's made this season.

"For sure draft day was a big one." Wright said. "Me and my partner were sitting at our favourite restaurant, Pizza Hutt. I'm knee deep in the buffet table (this is pre-COVID) when my agent calls me, tells me I'd just been drafted by the Nevada Battleborn. I nearly cry into the day-old crusty penne. What a moment."

"Then recently we were playing the Outlaws. It was a real tough battle, all game long. I was a minus one, we were going into overtime. Coach has me out with Rudey and Noah-Tree. I slam into one of their guys, Noah fires the puck, I tip it in, we win. And this was after a two game losing streak."

"Although I think my favourite moment was when coach took me aside and told me that my hair smelled bad. It made me realize I can't use mayonnaise as a leave-in conditioner. Lesson learned."

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn

My first highlight of the season is when I signed my first professional contract with the Carolina Kraken. Few teams contacted me in order to inquire me, but I settled in Carolina. This team gives me so much energy to keep on going and the progress we have made together has bear fruit with my linemates Freyja Hellström and Kyle Murray.
Second highlight is my career high three-point game against St. Louis Scarecrows, where I had three assists, two secondary assists and one primary assists. All three of my assists were scored by another Kraken rookie Freyja Hellström, who had his first career hat-trick in this game. Big results from our third line
My third highlight is as equielevant as my first two, being my first career goal. It was also scored against the St. Louis Scarecrows, who I seem to perform very well against. In third period on even strength at 12:07 I scored my first goal from Julian Cunningham’s brilliant effort. It was easy to nail that one in since he had done such a good job

179 words

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

It's been a busy first season for Jarmo! Let's have a look at the three biggest things to happen to him in year one of his SMJHL career.

1) Drafted! Jarmo was drafted by the Nevada Battleborn with the first pick of the second round. Kekalainen was one of a few really good rookies picked up by Nevada, so the future appeared bright for Jarmo with the team. He was a bit surprised by the fall though, as he had himself as more of a mid first round pick.

2) Traded??? That's right, in a surprise move, about half way through the year, Kekalainen was traded from Nevada to Colorado, along with draft picks for winger Rock Strongo. He was quoted as being "floored" by the move, as he was having a really solid rookie year. Although surprised, he was pleased to go to Colorado. He thought they were a team that had more opportunity in the lineup moving forward.

3) First goal as a Raptor! After nearly a dozen games with Colorado, Jarmo finally netted his first goal (and third of the year total) as a Raptor. The goal came as an insurance marker in a 2-0 win. Kekalainen went hard to the net, and Anrljs Asts found him for an easy tap in.

As much as my on the ice moments were nothing but outstanding. By far my best highlight moment was when I was invited by the steward of the new world order aquarium. I was hanging out with my smoking hot 232 TPE invested into lust wife, I got pulled to the side as we were about to get the best B-Roll of our lives. I was told by the master alchemist: someone broke into the rare species vault. Immediately I threw on my robe and wizard hat. I then used this robe and wizard hat to summon my jersey and helmet, throwing my useless wizard gear into the netherquarium. As soon as I was dressed in my garb, the 69 inch thick metal of the aquarium started to rumble. Suddenly the door to the vault opened and the two most feared Ichthy-robbers  popped their heads out the doors. Moral of the story the fishes are safe and I went to baskin robbins with my smokin hot wife. 

[Image: 3p7FvJL.png]

[Image: Z8yXihx.png]

Some of Brennan Huff's best performances in the past week

1- KEL @ DET - Kelowna wins 5-0.

Huff managed to participate in the strong offensive display against Detroit by scoring his fifth goal of the season and posting a +/- differential of +2. Huff recorded one of his best GR of the season with 56

2- ANC @ KEL - Anchorage wins 3-1.

Brennan Huff did his best to limit the damage from Anchorage as he records a DGR of 60, a +/- differential of +1 and an assist. Huff demonstrated ease of playing defensively and limiting his opponent when he's on the ice, by having 3 takeaways.

3-  KEL @ ANC - Anchorage wins 4-1.

Another loss versus Anchorage, and yet another game where Huff was able to show success on the ice. Unlike the previously mentionned performance against Anchorage, Huff opted for offense with an OGR of 63, scoring the only goal of the game. Despite having a low DGR, he did manage to block 2 shots.

[Image: Ympmk6b.png]
[Image: KXQzCef.png]

[Image: QhAQn2i.png][Image: yIvjn4j.png][Image: iB9r7kM.png]
Huge thanks to @Carpy48 and @sulovilen for the signature!

Cian McFelter was sitting in his little corner apartment after practice, reflecting on the season that was his rookie season. He was trying to pick out his favorite moments, highlights of a life changing year that would define the future years of his professional career. The first was truthfully the his first career point. Assisting on Vlastislav Malik’s first career goal was a highlight for all of the triplets, as Brennan Huff got the secondary assist. Cian looked back at that goal, remembering how they all felt it was a sign of great things to come for the group. While the season has been rough, the Triplets did get their points. The second highlight was the acquisition of the Triplets great friend, Robert Feltersnactch, near the trade deadline. The life long friends had all made it to professional hockey, and the fact that they were all on the same team was a dream come true. The 3rd, and easily the best, was the time he dunked right in Malik’s face during a pickup game of water basketball at the training facility.

[Image: GxHbd5R.png]

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]
Thnx @Carpy48 for the sig!
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2020, 12:53 PM by TheCC.)

The first highlight that comes to mind is my first goal, which came when we were playing at home against the Timber. An off-target pass from Koskinen got past me, but I managed to regain possession. I lined up and fired on Bloomfield and there it was. Another highlight for me was our first win, which was against the Outlaws. We had been waiting too long for that win. The locker room was just electric. The third highlight was when I out-drank Boris on that same night. If you know much about him, you'd know how big of an achievement that is.

[Image: petrov.png]

ISFL PT Affiliate

[Image: b6kz2LW.png]
[Image: CWUfbzX.jpg]

Feltersnatch first highlight was his first SMJHL goal for the Raptors.

At the 9 minute mark of the 2nd period, Robert scored his first goal against the Maine Timber in a loosing fashion. Having the first goal was an important milestone after so many games but being the lonely goal in a 4-1 loss wasn't as savory as I thought. A win was more important than a simple score sheet.

The second highlight was being reunited with his HD buddies in a trade that sent Robert Feltersnatch to the Knights in return for the S57 COL 2nd round pick and the S57 NL 4th round pick. Lord birdman and Kathh were kind enough to make it happen and I will forever be grateful for it.

Robert 3rd Highlight was when he got 1m36s of powerplay time and a pass in a 3-0 shutout win against ANA. Robert got the 2nd assist off Braden Lowrie's goal in the third period. What a great game !

(163 words)

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

On a personal level, I feel that Freyja's move to Carolina is highlight-worthy. Moving to a new country as a young person is a huge undertaking, one she's handled with poise and grace. I believe that is something worth celebrating. She had lived in Sweden all her life up until that point, so it was a big transition. For in-game highlights, I believe it would be nice to go through each of her 21 points, as her 18 goals and 3 assists were a great help to her team. She's had a phenomenal rookie season and definitely deserves to see those moments reflected back on. This display would end on Freyja Hellström's hat trick in game 8 against the St Louis Scarecrows. This impressive feat is definitely one of the most important things to showcase, as it happened within her first 8 games as a brand new player. She's made quite a splash this season, impressing herself and her new fans. I'm sure they'd love the tribute to her journey in this first year.

[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: zFE0mSA.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: HKi05IH.png]

Jonathan Granström's highlight reel:

1. Getting drafted as 3OA. Wow just wow wow wow. I had high hopes going in to the draft but going as third overall in the draft was far above my expectations. The feeling and rush as I realized I was going that early was something almost otherworldly and I hope to experience it again in the coming SHL draft. I'll admit to having screamed from happiness.

2. The first goal in the SMJHL. Scoring your first one is something truly special and the rush from knowing I did my first goal of many was truly something to be remembered. Scoring in the second game gave me some good faith in my ability and much needed self confidence to keep playing well.

3. The first blocked shot in the SMJHL. It came in the first game of the season and the first game ever in the SMJHL. The pain was true and real but so was the encouraging comments and the shoulder pats from the bench as I made it back.

(178 words)

[Image: Halkohol_SHL.gif]

ISFL PT