Create Account

Goode Declares for Draft
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020, 02:59 PM by Keenan.)

Goode Declares for SMJHL Draft

By: Henear Perdita

I sipped my coffee on my way into the station. It was a blistery day outside, just as the weatherman had predicted. If I were to pass him in the hall, I’d be sure to congratulate him. Though I’ve been seeing less and less of him ever since I congratulated him last time. Well, that makes sense, the weather never stops, he must be constantly busy.

As I slipped into my office, I quickly closed the door and sat down at my desk. The early day sun peeking through my drawn blinds was the only light in the room until I pulled out my cellphone, and just stared at the home screen. This had become a habit of mine, ever since last week, when I got that text from my producer that I’d be interviewing SHL hopeful Gregory Goode today.

I put my phone back in my pocket without opening it. There was no need. I pulled my coat over my shoulders and took a deep sip of my coffee as I heard my heater click on. I rolled my eyes and took another sip, damn thing has been on the fritz for a month now, not like it’s going to keep me warm.

I sighed and opened my internet browser, opting to do some last minute research on Goode before the interview. I knew it would be fruitless though. The guy’s a phantom, I’ve read what I imagine to be every piece of information about the guy, and it’s barely enough to fill the back of a trading card. Who is he?

I was jerked from my search by a knock on the door. My eyes darted to the corner of the screen. 8:55, he was 5 minutes early. I turned off my computer and let him in. I will now transcribe the interview for posterity’s sake.

Code:
HP: Hello, please have a seat. So, SHL hopeful, are you? Just like your old man?
GG: Yeah, I’ve loved hockey ever since I was a kid, I loved going to dad’s games and cheering him on, and just being around the sport, y’know? The only thing I’ve ever wanted to do with my life is play in the SHL.
HP: I see, well first thing’s first is the SMJHL, which I see you’ve already declared for the S57 draft. Any places you hope to end up?
GG: Well of course I’d be happy to end up anywhere, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have any preferences. The guys in Newfoundland have been incredible at showing me the ropes since I’ve signed and Detroit looks like somewhere I can slot in and be useful immediately. And of course dad has said wonderful things about St. Louis.
HP: Speaking of your dad, how much has he helped you?
GG: He’s been my number one fan since the day I was brought into this world. There’s no way I’d be where I was without him mentoring me.
HP: Speaking of which, I haven’t been able to dig up much tape on you. How does your style of play compare to his?
GG: We’re definitely very similar, both strong defensive players who can pass really well, but aren’t really focused on scoring. I’m definitely in his mold *laughs*.
HP: Well let’s hope your career goes better than his!
GG: *glares*
HP: Anyway, how has your dad been since retirement.
GG: Well, y’know, he’s a family man now. I’m sure raising me hasn’t been a cakewalk *laughs* but he keeps busy. I know he still misses the game, but that part of his life is over, and he knows it, I think he’s made his peace with it. He’s been reading a lot lately, lots of sci-fi and the like. Just living the retired life, I suppose.
HP: Interesting. Well, thank you for your time, Gregory, and good luck with you career.
GG:Thank you

And that was it, on the surface, a normal interview, but I won’t be fooled. I’m a reporter, dammit, I know this goes deeper...

Code:
727 Words

He's baaaaaaaack Smile

Happy to see you here again!