Create Account

Hamilton - New England Blockbuster
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 11:27 PM by 5ympathies.)

Code:
2x Trade Media, WC: 972 + research

I'm surprised nobody has wrote about this one yet, but maybe it's just because I think too highly of myself and nobody else cares, or maybe its the anti-Hamilton bias on this site, but today I'll be discussing the huge trade (4 pages) that sent me and goldenglutes to Hamilton a few seasons ago. Upon completion of the S54 Playoffs, me and glutes both had 1 season remaining on our contracts, and we had both made it clear that we were not intending on re-signing with New England, after years of shitty STHS luck (somehow Toronto made the playoffs more than we did, and Tampa had more playoff success lol). Dan (Texas) had made an offer, but after talking to him, I knew it wasn't what I wanted. No disrespect to Texas at all, but in my mind I knew I wanted to continue my career alongside my friend and wanted a team to trade for us both. I knew that there was only one scenario in which we would play for different teams and unfortunately (good for him) it happened and he is now the co-GM of Atlanta. Me and glutes had both individually been speaking with Gabe throughout the seasons, glutes with him in ANC, and me with him in Team Canada, so we both had a good relationship with him to start and I did spend many seasons beforehand tamper baiting myself to him. With all that in mind, let's get into it.

Steelhawks Acquire:
Guy Zheng
Dick Clapper
Wolfpack Acquire:
Troy McClure
Krišs Dārziņš
(Clean) Andrei Kostitsyn
S55 HAM 1st (15 OA)
S56 HAM 1st
S57 HAM 1st
S58 HAM 1st

At the time, me and glutes were roughly 1900 TPE, so it's easy to see why we commanded such a high return. Hamilton did talk to us before the trade went through, naturally, to see if we intended to stay and our thoughts on the whole deal, because it would be a huge waste to trade these many assets and have us walk the next season after our contracts ended. I extended my contract and signed a deal for 3 more seasons at $6 million each, which is the new minimum (forgot to ask for a NTC tho cause im a dumbass, please dont trade me hallsy). And glutes? Well his journey was a little more complicated.

Hotdog was awarded the GM position of his team, the Atlanta Inferno, in expansion and he selected glutes to be his co-GM. Before the trade, I knew, albeit however slim, that this would be a chance, and that if it happened, we would not longer be playing together. Well, it did happen, and Hamilton signed and traded Glutes to Atlanta to regain some of the assets they spent on us both.
Steelhawks Acquire:
S56 ATL 1st (4OA)
Guy O'Shea ($1 mil retained)
S57-61 ATL 3rd (must be claimed S61 at the latest)

Inferno Acquire:
Guy Zheng

For somebody we had to lose and didn't really have much leverage for, we managed to get quite a decent return. Yea, losing a 2000 TPE player isn't ideal, but getting a top pick and a 1000 TPE prospect really makes it hurt a little less. O'Shea has had a crazy (some would say unsustainable) season with 12 goals and 23 assists, and hopefully he continues to improve in the seasons to come.

Moving on, the 4th overall pick we received was then traded to New England in exchange for two firsts. 2 > 1.

Steelhawks Acquire:
S56 10th OA
S57 HAM 1st

Wolfpack Acquire:
S56 4th OA
Our own S57 1st that we got back was then used to offer-sheet Bork Lazer (only the 2nd ever offer-sheet in league history, both times done by Hallsy).

Steelhawks Acquire:
Bork Lazer ($5,999,999 S56)

Specters Acquire:
S57 HAM 1st
With the 10th overall pick, we drafted Sarah Burke, who lasted a day on the team, before she was involved in a one for one trade.

Steelhawks Acquire:
Evangelos Giannopoulos

Stars Acquire:
Sarah Burke

While it was sad to see Kya go, ultimately JSS was who we wanted to draft initially, and we effectively traded up 8 spots in the draft without giving up any assets, making this a great trade at the time for Hamilton. Unfortunately JSS sucks at keeping track of point tasks and is nowhere near the TPE levels relative to the rest of his draft class compared to where he was drafted.
In summary, because I know this was a LOT (and I could have kept going by talking about what New England has done with their side of the original trade but it's not like I actually need the money, so I'll just focus on the Hamilton side)
Steelhawks Acquire:
Dick Clapper (me)
Guy O'Shea
Bork Lazer
Evangelos Giannopoulos
a future ATL 3rd

With Hamilton poised to clinch the Presidents' Trophy this season, maybe their strategy of trading away 4 first round picks wasn't terrible. With the S55 and S56 1st's both being 15 OA, I personally feel it's safe to assume S57 (which we got back anyway before giving up) and S58 will probably be around that range too. Despite me being taken 37th overall (because I intentionally tanked my draft stock), you won't find players like me and glutes outside of the top 10 all that often.

Pretty fuckin crazy.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

Neither of those places have blockbuster locations

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page