Create Account

S56 GoalieScore Year In Goalies
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2020, 02:34 PM by Duff101.)

The Year In Goalies

Overall Performance
This year was an incredible year for goalies and was by far the strongest overall performance of the FHM era. Of the top 10 best save percentages of the FHM, 5/10 were this year, including the 3 best of all time. Kata Vilde now holds the top overall save percentage, taking the title from former champion Frans Eller. Overall, as the years have progressed in FHM, goalies seem to be doing better and better. The average goalie this year ranked 28th in sv% among all starters, which is good considering this is out of 72 samples. One could make the excuse that this year defenses performed better, but SHAA distribution is no different this year than any other, and has a fairly even spread, and the overall average is not out of the ordinary. 

A New Champion
So, with the context that this is the best season goalies have had in FHM, it's time to talk about our new champions. First off, there were no new inductees into the 60 SHAA club. Geezus Kryyst and Cillian Kavanagh both finished just outside, averaging a close but not quite 57 shots against average. 

So, with the 60 SHAA club out of the way, we can get into the real meat. This year was a great year for goalies, and as a result, this year's champion also managed to snatch away the Historical Championship for themselves. This goalie didn't face a massive amount of shots, but they did face an amount which was way above average, and managed to post one of the best save percentages of the FHM era to date. So, without further delay,

The S57 Champion of Life and NEW HISTORICAL CHAMPION...

KNOX BOOTH!

Booth claims the title belt as it yet again changes hands between seasons. Despite having the 19th highest shots against average, Knox Booth's 2nd best save percentage of all time, and the effect that this had on the former historical champion Markus Tegernako was devastating, dropping him from the 2nd best overall save percentage to 7th. This does represent a milestone for GoalieScore: for the first time, a Champion of Life and Historical Champion's season will not have ended with game 50. Knox Booth and the Los Angeles Panthers will be heading to the playoffs. In my opinion, the era of the seasonal Historical Championship handoff to the next year's Champion of Life is over. What is known, though, is that the reign of Knox Booth as Historical Champion has begun.

The McBride
Now for the part that will go in the history books, the McBride prediction. While I personally believe that Knox Booth should win the McBride, I don't control the awards committee, nor do I have a vote on it. I can only recommend that Knox Booth win the McBride, I cannot make it happen. So, here are my prediction for McBride nominees and winners.

Nominees
Knox Booth
Kata Vilde
Tibuk Soonika*
A Jobin

*Bubble, will not make the nomination if only 3 people are selected.

Winner
Kata Vilde

Unfortunately, I think that once again the GoalieScore Champion of Life will not be taking home any hardware at the awards ceremony. Kata Vilde's league leading save percentage, 9 shoutouts and lowest GAA among starters despite the fact that GAA IS NOT A STAT THAT MEASURES INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE will be too tempting for the voters of the SHL Awards Committee to turn down.

[Image: unknown.png]

Orange: S56
Purple: S55
Blue: S54
Green: S53

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

We need more of this Smile

And I agree, Knox Booth 4 McBride this year! Shutouts are random and GAA is a team stat!

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Booth is such a beast!

Thank you for covering up for my defensive play!

Panthers

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

I should win mcbride

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Booth's a good man

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

Typical 101.

[Image: Wally.png]

10-25-2020, 02:56 PMCarpy48 Wrote: We need more of this Smile

And I agree, Knox Booth 4 McBride this year! Shutouts are random and GAA is a team stat!

I don't think shutouts are random tbh, look at the stats. Among players with >1000 shots shutouts are heavily distributed towards those with less. Go look at the S56 index and sort goalies by SHA and then look at the shutout numbers. Even without doing any sort of shots per game stat the pattern is pretty obvious.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2020, 04:26 PM by hockeyiscool.)

I read the title and thought I had a stroke, thanks for that. Great analysis

Can you do this for the “J” ?

[Image: Untitled-5.jpg][Image: 189-1895167_american-flag-superman-logo.png]

UPDATE PAGE

Quote:S56 WJC AWARDS
“Our third award is one that is dear to my heart as a SHL goaltender… The Peter Larson Award for the Top Goalie! This is voted by the GMs and considers both the round robin and medal rounds. The S56 Winner of the Peter Larson Award is….…
C.K. Supernaw! “

Battleborn Usa

10-25-2020, 04:34 PMWawazat Wrote: Can you do this for the “J” ?
I am planning on doing it sooner rather than later, probably a bit later but hopefully before awards as a time killer and media boost. However, this will never work for IIHF and the WJC because of the small sample size of games. Generally you need like 20-30 games to get a good idea of a goalie's performance, as hot streaks or fluky performances can inflate the hell out of stats.

Great work! Looking forward to more of this kind of information!

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

Thank you so much for the recognition, it feels really good to read an article like this. It's been a climb getting to this point but I am really proud of my player and those who helped guide me along the way. Thanks again, this means a lot!

Panthers

[Image: p82ugau.png]

[Image: h0f6pas019sz.png]

We = I

Imagine playing goalie for a good team.

[Image: Wally.png]