Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 - Vancouver Whalers Roster Situation
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2020, 12:16 PM by Scrufdaddy.)

The Vancouver Whalers just led the league in pretty much all areas this season. They are a force to be reckoned with and one that will be tough to match in this season's playoffs. In this article, let's take a look at players that may be moving on to the big leagues and what holes may be left in their roster. Will the Whalers be the tour de force they were all season, or will they simply become another bubble team?

The Whalers currently have three players over 800 TPE, all from the Season 54 draft class, so let's throw them out. They're gone. The two skaters they lose combine for 63 of the Whalers' 502 points which is 12.5% from only 9.5% of their players. That's a good contribution, but not one they'll miss very terribly. The third player leaving is a goalie, and we all know how the goalie situation is in the bigs, so he may not actually be moving on, but for the sake of this article, say sayonara. This may not be a huge problem either, as their rookie phenom goalie Jon St. Ark outperformed veteran crease guard Name Redacted all season. Jon played 1403 minutes while Name played 1603 and managed 19 wins over Name's 20, a GAA of 1.62 over Name's 2.25, and a SV% of .930 over Name's .907. Very impressive in my opinion, and a very good sample size so it's hard to see it not being replicated.

The Whalers lack rookies. They have one rookie player from the Season 57 draft class in Jon St. Ark, but no other rookies to step into the shoes left behind by their veterans. While they do have excellent depth, they just have nothing in the pipeline to prepare for their inevitable collapse so that excellent depth is only as deep as this season. It will only be one or two more seasons before they experience total bottom feeding hell.

I want to go ahead and remove the rest of the Season 54 draft class just because I can. This is seven roster players gone. These players combine for 163 points of their total 502 points for a combined 32.5% of their points and 33.3% of their roster. Is it possible for this team to replace that many players this off season? Somehow I doubt it, at least not with any real talent. Yes, they have a great group behind them. Three of their top five scorers are staying on the team, but their forward group is being absolutely gutted and they are losing two of their best defenseman. Not to mention, their forwards carry their team. You don't see a defenseman in the top 10 of their scoring until 9th place and 10th place.

I guess what I'm saying is, they may be in trouble. It's a scary situation to have that many older players all at one time. If more than two or three of these players actually leave, it could have a cascading effect on their depth. There will not be these players to pass on the offense to other less experience players. For sure they may be a power team at the moment, but in this league it is difficult to run a dynasty.

Code:
544 words, updated to actually meet the word requirement

Approved! +5 TPE @Dude

[Image: T8nB5Dn.png][Image: KXZ8h4k.png]
[Image: duderino.gif]

Clint Eastwood, Jun 10 2018,  09:36 AM Wrote:Can't buy love, but love can buy a lot.