Create Account

Skating for Revenge
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020, 04:01 PM by dogwoodmaple.)

(This is my first media article - including that for the bonus)

They've done it at the buzzer! Rhode Island has defeated Georgia to win the NCAA Championship!

That was one year ago and there's not a moment that goes by that I don't think about how close we came.  How we had the title in our hands and let the Rams steal it from us.  To this day, I refuse to even set foot in the state of Rhode Island out of spite.  It was a magical season that we had worked so hard for.  We dominated the SEC and were an offensive juggernaut week in and week out until that fateful day against Rhode Island.  The worst part?  It was all my fault.

From the moment I learned to skate as a small child, I wanted to win a title.  To hoist a trophy and celebrate with my teammates, coaches, and fans.  Sure I wanted to light up the statsheet and score goals, but above all else, I wanted to be a part of a title.  To be the straw that stirs the proverbial drink en route to a championship.  I worked tirelessly in youth hockey, in high school, and eventually to the premiere ice hockey program in the country - the University of Georgia.  The Ice Dawgs were a dynasty in the making, but a national title eluded the program.  From the day I signed my letter of intent, I had one goal for UGA - to win the title.  My freshman season there was a coaching change, so that was a struggle.  We caught fire during the last half of the season and finished with wins over our rivals, but didn't make the postseason.  I didn't play much that first year, but I kept my focus on helping the team and bringing home the one thing missing from our trophy case.  I saw the ice much more my sophomore and junior seasons, where we won back-to-back SEC titles and made the NCAA tournament both years.  We even made the Frozen Four my junior year, but lost to an upstart program....Rhode Island.  They killed us in the national semifinal, but that only gave our returning players that much more focus for the offseason.  In my senior year, we were simply the best team in the country.  I led the nation in points and assists, and our goalie gobbled up everything that even came close to the net.  We entered the tournament undefeated and as the clear favorites to finally take home the ultimate prize.  We won the National Semifinal 7-1 and didn't even play our best hockey.  We were simply unstoppable, but one team stood in our way in the title game.  That same pesky team who beat us the year before....Rhode Island.  In the title game, we got off to a quick 1-0 lead thanks to our mammoth of a power forward, but the Rams quickly answered on a power play.  We traded goals again, and it was 2-2 with just minutes remaining on the clock.  With about thirty seconds left, I had the puck in the middle of the ice, preparing to set up for the final shot.  I saw one of our long-range scorers out of the corner of my eye and noticed two defenders had slid his way to prevent a shot, leaving me with some free ice ahead.  I decided to attack.  I skated past two defenders and prepared to challenge the goalie for the buzzer beating win.  I had some open net to the goalie's left and I fired....

an absolute dud. I hit more ice than puck and it hardly moved.  The rest of our team had collapsed around the net for any rebounds that might fly off, but with my misfire, that little black disc only slid about a foot before being scooped by by a Rhode Island speedster, who was able to race down the ice and beat our up-to-that-point-unbeatable goalie at the horn.

I laid on the ice for what seemed like an eternity, knowing that I failed my teammates.  Even if my shot didn't find the back of the net, the worst case would've been overtime.  All I had to do was make solid contact and we would've stayed tied.  But I didn't and I had to witness the Rams celebrate in front of us for the second straight season.

As I head to the draft and begin my professional career, I have only one thought.  One goal.  One seemingly unsurmountable peak that I must climb.  I want to do one thing and one thing only - win a title.  Ever since that fateful day against Rhode Island, I've been skating for revenge.

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

rhode island? based

[Image: Pythonic.gif] [Image: Championship_Sig.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png] [Image: 2sRs0Cq.png]

Wait I know this guy

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria