Create Account

S56 Championship Week

Code:
1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Reflection on your season - how did your player fare on the ice this season? Did you meet or surpass your individual player goals or did you come up short? Whether you excelled or disappointed - what can you attribute that to? What will you try to do better next season?

This year I think I did better than expected. As an 800ish TPE goalie I am way under in terms of stats and as such will perform pretty poorly. However I do think I made a pretty strong case for a rookie of the year nomination, which I was snubbed out of in the junior league. While I do not think that I will win, I think I have done enough to get a nomination this year. The future looks pretty good for me and we have a strong defense, my hope is the get up to around 1000 by next season. I'm still very early in my career and there's plenty of opportunity with Atlanta to bring home a trophy at some point or another and I think the team has real potential to succeed. Atlanta has a lot of potential down the line and I trust that we will be competitive in the near future and in the next couple seasons.

Code:
3. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
FHM's 12-team playoff bracket setup has received a fair bit of scrutiny. It re-seeds after the play-in round and for some reason puts the #1 seed and #2 seed on the same side of the bracket. I challenge you to come up with a different playoff format - can you come up with a format that's dumber/worse than this? be creative! Come up with the worst possible format for a 12-team playoff.

This is a new era, a new time for hockey and the world in general, the era of the Participation Trophy. As such, the Challenge Cup is going the way of the dinosaur and will be replaced by the You Tried Trophy, which every player on every team will receive as an award for trying their absolute hardest to have the best season. In addition, there will be no more talk of division champions as everyone is a winner, and scores will no longer be recorded for games. Now the only celebrating teams will do after the season ends is orange slices and a trip to KFC if they were good and did all their homework.

Code:
4. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble (like the NHL did in Edmonton/Toronto or the NBA in Orlando), which city would be the best candidate to host as the hub city? What would the players do during their time in a playoff bubble? (For graphic option, make an advertisement [like a pamphlet/brochure] in support of a specific city as the hub city and highlighting the reasons why.)

I think the bubble should be held in the most remote area possible to ensure maximum player safety and health, and the least risk of exposure, the bubble should be held at the Amundsen Scott South Pole Station at the south pole in Antarctica. With a population of 45 in the winter, we can ensure that the bubble will be nearly unpoppable. Sure, some infrastructure improvements will need to be made in order to have enough food, water and living space, as well as the construction of an ice arena, when you live on a continent with a permanent sheet of ice on it the last problem you will have is rink construction and maintenance. plus we could have penguins play on the arena when we're not using it for hockey, and interacting with them is a good photo op setup. Everyone loves penguins, right?

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

Honestly I think Atlanta was pretty underrated as a team this year and I think the future looks pretty bright. A low TPE goalie probably held the team back from greatness but the ceiling for this team looks pretty high. Holding serve with Hamilton for as long as they did was impressive, and the win over New Orleans was impressive in the playoffs. I know its a homer pick but I do think the future of this team is very bright and at the end of they day they look to be competitors in future seasons of the SHL. 

Code:
7. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

As the brand new co-head of Russia I can say without any BS that we're down and in need of a rebuild. I expect us to finish last or second last in our division, depending on how the teams around us play. I fully expect us to win maybe like 4-5 games but even that might be optimistic. However we've got a great crop of young players coming in and we're aggressively recruiting future classes so we can rebuild and be competitive down the line. The goal now is to recruit as many young players each season as possible. We hope to have incremental growth and improvement in every season. The future is definitely bright for Russia but this season I frankly don't expect to do well at all. All I gotta say is thank god for Latvia because I think they will be way worse than us.

Code:
16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

poopnugget

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

Task 1: (3 TPE)

My simulation hockey league player who is named Aleksander Kozlov played in the simulation major junior hockey league last season on the simulation major junior hockey league team that is known as the Carolina Kraken. The major junior hockey league team that is called the Carolina Kraken had a pretty good season, and my simulation hockey league player Aleksander Kozlov who played in the simulation major junior hockey league on the simulation major junior hockey league team known as the Carolina Kraken had a pretty good season as well. My simulation hockey league player Aleksander Kozlov had a ton of points, goals, assists, and grit that helped lead the simulation major junior hockey league team known as the Carolina Kraken to second overall in the simulation major junior hockey league standings and to game seven of the simulation major junior hockey league playoffs. All in all I'd say I had a good season and surpassed any individual goals that I had for my guy.

Task 4: (3 TPE)

[Image: GGaWxsO.png]

Task 6: (2 TPE)

the best simulation major junior hockey league team to not make the four star cup finals in this years simulation major junior hockey league playoffs was the simulation major junior hockey league team known as the carolina kraken. This is because the simulation major junior hockey league team known as the carolina kraken to the simulation major junior hockey league team called the vancouver whalers to a game 7 in the semi-finals of this past simulation major junior hockey league playoffs. This was more games than the actual finalists too the vancouver whalers to in their series, so carolina was better 100%.

Task 9: (3 TPE)

[Image: sfipoqv.png]

Task 14: (2 TPE)

my pick for the most valuable player in the simulation major junior hockey league finals was from the simulation major junior hockey league team called the vancouver whalers instead of the simulation major junior hockey league team called the newfoundland beserkers. This is because vancouver won the simulation major junior hockey league finals big time, and i believe this is because of the simulation major junior hockey leauge player Daniil Nikiforov. Daniil Nikiforov had a great playoffs scoring tons of points and playing with lots of grit. Without him the much superior carolina kraken probably would have easily won the semis and took the finals without breaking a sweat - they are just that sick.

Task 16: (3 TPE)

Verification: Grease

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 11:50 PM by Paq.)

Reflection on your season - how did your player fare on the ice this season? Did you meet or surpass your individual player goals or did you come up short? Whether you excelled or disappointed - what can you attribute that to? What will you try to do better next season?

This season, my player fared just okay on the ice. Nothing to really get excited about. I had 15 points playing on the third line for the New England Wolfpack, which I guess is fine considering the circumstances. I don't really have anything that even approaches a frame of reference for that. In terms of game ratings, I averaged a 59 overall, 52 on offense, and 65 on defense. I suppose the defensive number is solid enough, assuming those even mean anything. I'm way too lazy to look up how to interpret the advanced stats to determine if I was any good by those metrics. Plus that spares me any potential disappointment from finding out. I didn't have any goals, really, so I don't think there's anything to be disappointed about. I originally created hoping to fully max earn but that is... not happening. So I'm just trying to enjoy the ride for now. Luckily that means I'm fine with my player's performance, though I'd obviously not be against doing quite a bit better.

FHM's 12-team playoff bracket setup has received a fair bit of scrutiny. It re-seeds after the play-in round and for some reason puts the #1 seed and #2 seed on the same side of the bracket. I challenge you to come up with a different playoff format - can you come up with a format that's dumber/worse than this? be creative! Come up with the worst possible format for a 12-team playoff.

Can I come up with a format that's dumber than that? Yes. Easily. Here's how it would work. The 12-seed gets a home game against the 11-seed in the first round. The 10th seed plays at home against the 9th seed. 8th at home against the 7th, and so on. From there, you have to maximize stupidity by forcing the top remaining seeds to play against one another, with the lower seed receiving home ice advantage in the match-up. So, say the 2nd seed defeats the 1st seed in round one, and the 4th defeats the 3rd, then you'd have the 4th seed get a home game against the 2nd seed in the following round. Eventually you progress to the finals, with the lower seed again receiving home ice advantage over the higher seed. How's that for dumb?

If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble (like the NHL did in Edmonton/Toronto or the NBA in Orlando), which city would be the best candidate to host as the hub city? What would the players do during their time in a playoff bubble?

The best candidate to host an SHL bubble might come as a surprise to some, but it will make perfect sense in about 120 words from now. That candidate is none other than Death Valley, California, one of the hottest places on the entire planet. You might be saying things like 'Death Valley? What the hell is that,' or, 'Isn't Death Valley, like, a desert?'. Valid questions. They don't matter though. So, for reference, Death Valley gets up well over 100 freedom degrees and sits there basically all summer long. So what location could use the nice refreshing environment of playoff hockey other than Death Valley? The headlines could sell themselves. "Fire and Ice". "An oasis in the desert". I don't know. Those aren't even good. Doesn't matter. Honestly the only impediment might be maintaining the ice in that sort of heat, but that's why pro leagues have all that money. Literally that exact situation. Nothing else. If it doesn't make sense by now I can't help you get it.

Which SHL or SMJHL team was the best team to not make the finals this season and why?

This is the easiest question of this entire painstaking task. The best team to not make the finals this season is none other than the New England Wolfpack. Yep, the New England Wolfpack. How were they the best team to not make the finals this season when they barely even made the playoffs or whatever? Elementary. It's because they have the incredible, inimitable, rhyme-animal, the Erben Kasius. He is so good that it's nearly impossible to believe New England were as bad as they were this season. Most likely the only thing holding them back was getting Kasius up to the conditioning level he needs to play at this level, which forced him down to the team's 3rd line where he was surrounded by lesser players that held him back from propelling the Wolfpack to the top of the tables. Expect that to change next season.

What's your prediction for this season's IIHF tournament? Which teams do you expect to do well (or not well)? Which players?

My prediction for this season's IIHF tournament is that none of the teams will win, and all of the fans will lose. I know literally nothing about IIHF, which tells me that it's probably a boring waste of time. No offense to whoever works hard to put that event on. I think my player is on Germany or something. Whatever. Point is, they're just exhibition games, and it's not even like the games are made more exciting by their rarity like the World Cup where Algeria vs. Honduras is suddenly worth watching because that shit happens once every four years. Nobody cares if that happens every year. Make it a little less frequent and suddenly it's exciting. Anyway, basically all of the players just go out and play for some loose sense of country pride and the fans get maybe a little bit excited but probably not really. So, in the end, it doesn't matter who wins. The players just exhaust themselves, and the fans watch some people who barely practice together play tired hockey like two weeks after the season ends.

16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer.
This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Done

[Image: xOtrQ61.gif]

Trivia: Banana

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)
Of the 10 most recent finals series, which do you think is the most memorable and why? Which will be remembered in history as the best/most important/most memorable series or victory? S46: BUF over NOLA, S47: WKP over CGY, S48: BUF over WPG, S49: EDM over NEW, S50: CGY over TBB, S51: HAM over EDM, S52: MAN over SFP, S53: HAM over EDM, S54: NOLA over HAM, S55: BUF over NOLA.

Is this subjective or is it meant to be objective, because regardless of what you tell me it is meant to be I am going to answer my season 49 sweep of the New England Wolfpack. After a dominant regular season the Wolfpack entered the playoffs as the odds on favourite to win the Challenge Cup, but they ran into a behemoth of a team. My ragtag group of misfits, the Edmonton Blizzard. You see we lost a lot of talent that off-season primarily to retirement, and looked to fill the wholes VIA the trade market, and that was when the Minnesota Chiefs came to us with an offer we could not refuse, Terrance Nova for a second? Yeah okay, let me hit accept before you sober up. Terrance Nova was a known winner, and helped us finish off the sweep of the New England Wolfpack. Again let me re-iterate, this is the most memorable Cup because it's the one I won.

Code:
If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble (like the NHL did in Edmonton/Toronto or the NBA in Orlando), which city would be the best candidate to host as the hub city? What would the players do during their time in a playoff bubble? (For graphic option, make an advertisement [like a pamphlet/brochure] in support of a specific city as the hub city and highlighting the reasons why.)

If the Simulated Hockey League were required to have a bubble in order to make the playoffs work for all teams involved it makes sense to have it in the city with the lowest COVID cases, as you are the least likely to be subjected to someone with COVID in your daily outings. I would have to think you would end up in a city of either Edmonton or Calgary, as they are showing lower cases than Ontario, and not nearly as many as any state. What would the players be able to do in their spare time? Absolutely nothing.. They are in the bubble in order to stay healthy enough to play hockey, and that is what they should be focused on, not what fun activity they get to do before morning skate, give your head a shake. In a hypothetical COVID free world, there is always the West Edmonton Mall.

Code:
13. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Both of these teams have an impressive set of skaters - without factoring in any coaching or tactical strategies, which team do you think has the better roster of skaters on paper?
b. Do you foresee the teams making any strategic adjustments during the course of the series? Should the teams be quick to switch tactics or stick with what they've been using?
c. These two teams hail from the Great Lakes Division. Which of the Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior) do you think is the Greatest and why?
d. If, once it is safe to do so, you had to go hang out in person with one of the users on Buffalo/Hamilton, who would you hang out with and what would you do? (if you pick gabe you get -1 tpe)

It would be absolutely ridiculous to say anyone other than the Hamilton Steelhawks have an advantage on paper, their skaters are some of if not the best skaters in the world. Michael Scarn, Theo Morgan these are two of the best at their respective position, I can not argue in any way that Buffalo beats Hamilton in talent.

Buffalo has some of the best coaching in the league, and I expect them to make quick changes if the series does not start off the way they expect it to. I could see coaching changes happening as early as game two if Buffalo were to fall into a deep enough deficit.

You are an absolute moron if you do not think Lake Superior is the best lake in the Great Lakes. It has it in it's fucking name for crying out loud. Whoever named the lakes was completely and totally willing to admit that Superior was far and away the most superior lake.

If I got to spend time with one users on either of Hamilton or Buffalo it would probably be Theo Morgan, or Otrebor. Him and I had some great times playing Apex Legends while he was on Edmonton and I think we would mesh pretty well in person. Plus he's in Canada, don't even need to cross that dumb border.

Code:

Julio Tokolosh will blow away the competition in this years IIHF tournament for the United States of America. The man made cow has historically been fantastic in International Competition and I expect that trend to continue this year. If I were to pick a team though that would surprise people and make noise I would have to put my money on Great Britain, I do not know what it is about their team but they manage to get the best out of their roster every year, as multiple roleplayers on Simulated Hockey League rosters become stars on the ice for Great Britain. A final player that I would expect to make a surprise impact would be Daniel LaForest for Norway, a player that was convetted by many teams when he announced his transfer was on the table. Daniel is always looking for a way to make himself successful and I believe he will be able to do that in Norway.

16 TPE

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Code:

Matthew Forrester found himself playing as a lower line Center in his final year with the Newfoundland Berserkers. And in this role, he continued the good play he had throughout his career as a player in Newfoundland, getting 15 goals and 19 assists for a total of 34 points. It certainly is not MVP numbers for a player that spent his entire time in Berserker colours as a second fiddle, but it was enough to get his team back to the big dance and that is all that matters. The J once again proved to be a tough league full of great players, so of course it is not always easy to get stats here. Where it will get tougher for Forrester is next season’s first foray into the SHL. It’s easy to project what he might need to do better as he makes the jump, but no-one really knows what life at the next level with the Barracuda’s will be like for Forrester. All he needs to do is bring his years of form with him, and hope that the team puts him in a position to succeed through assisting those alongside him.

Code:
194 words

Code:
16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: verification

Code:

If the SHL were to set up a playoff bubble, it needs to be somewhere that has a number of qualities; a good hockey tradition, fantastic facilities to house the players in such tough circumstances, and has to be somewhere with... let’s go with ‘limited distractions’. I know that Orlando and Toronto/Edmonton have their fair share of distractions, but it’s not the most distracting places in the world by any means. And if I were to pick somewhere in this league that seems to fit that criteria, that would be Calgary. Calgary have a strong history with hockey - I mean, you could say that about all cities in Canada I am sure, but Calgary is definitely one of those that feel connected to the sport of hockey. In terms of facilities, their stadiums are great - but even more than that, their media capabilities are proven to be top notch in comparison to any other team in the SHL. These types of facilities will be key to keeping hockey coming to all corners of the continent during this tough time. And in terms of distractions... look, i’m sure there are distractions, but do I know of them right now off the top of my head? No. So I’ll give them a passing grade for this one too. Hopefully this has shown my argument makes sense.

Code:
226 words

Code:

For the SMJHL, my vote has to go for the Carolina Kraken here. It was no secret that the Kraken have been a thorn in our (Newfoundland’s) collective sides for the past 2 seasons, and this season looked to be no different. Thankfully they were on a different side of the bracket this time, and found themselves on the wrong side of a tough matchup against the Vancouver Whalers. The Whalers were unquestionably the best team in the division, so the 2 top teams going at it in the semi-finals is a bit of a shame - but hey, it played to my benefit so I don’t mind. Nonetheless, this team was still fantastic from top to bottom. Grimstad dazzled as the top centre on the team, earning 42 total points - which tied for the lead alongside left defenseman Axel Foley. Altogether, it would be crazy to say any other team except for the Kraken were the best team to not make the finals at all.

Code:
167 words

Code:
14. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

There’s a lot of players on this Hamilton Steelhawks team that probably deserves a shout at series MVP. I’m going to give it to someone who could go down likely as playoff MVP as a whole for them, nevermind series MVP for this team - that player is Aaron Wilson. Wilson was fantastic all season, but really brought it together through the entire playoffs. He earned 18 points in 18 games, focussing mainly on assisting his very strong teammates (earning himself 13 assists). He also earned a 9 +/- which is extremely solid. What takes him above others however is his impact on the game beyond the obvious numbers; if your starting Centre is [i]averaging[/b] an 80 Game Rating in the sim, you’re gonna have a chance to make some noise. Hamilton are probably one of the strongest teams in recent memory, however they may have faltered without Wilson controlling play like he did, and as such they should probably award him with the series MVP here.

Code:
167 words

Code:

Great Britain are going to win it all. That’s the facts.
Oh I should probably write more, ok. The Great British team is something else. Sure, Britain normally find themselves short of depth in the lower leagues (so much so that their WJC players link up with the Irish to form a strong team) - but these tournaments aren’t made by your wider Federation depth, they’re made by your top-tier depth. And Britain is stocked full of that. To begin with their are the obvious players - Brain, Zheng and Slothface, all over 2000 TPE currently before regression, all playing forward for this team. Only 1 forward behind them (Wanesley) has less than 1000 TPE, and 0 defenders have less than this, showing the SHL earning pedigree that will see them doing well against the other big IIHF teams again. The biggest hole for them? That is likely at 2nd goaltender, as this is currently Kelowna goaltender Peter Ramsay. Look for this to improve over time as he grows and enters the league. If USA and Canada bring their A-game they can be tough to beat, but as I say, look for Team GB to throw a spanner in the works for a lot of teams looking to make huge strides this time around.

Code:
215 words

[Image: 1PU6YuX.png]
         [Image: JiycRrd.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2020, 12:10 AM by Sean.)

Code:

I wasn't as happy with my season as I would have liked. Putting up 50 points in 50 games is still very good, do not get me wrong but I had 19 more points in the previous season and I was going in with a similar build. I think a lot of my struggles may have come from playing with new teammates. In the previous season I had veterans on both sides of me and this season I took two rookies on my wing. It was going to take them time to get used to the league and it was going to take all 3 of us time to get some chemistry. I definitely do not blame them as they both had great seasons and at the end of the day my production comes down to me and I didn't score as many goals as I usually do. I'm getting older, so there's no reason to suspect I'll have a better season next year. I'm hoping that as we continue to gain chemistry as a team I'll regain some of my old scoring touch and hopefully will return to form in S57!

[192 words, +3]

Code:
Of the 10 most recent finals series, which do you think is the most memorable and why? Which will be remembered in history as the best/most important/most memorable series or victory? S46: BUF over NOLA, S47: WKP over CGY, S48: BUF over WPG, S49: EDM over NEW, S50: CGY over TBB, S51: HAM over EDM, S52: MAN over SFP, S53: HAM over EDM, S54: NOLA over HAM, S55: BUF over NOLA.

This is absolutely biased, but the most memorable for me will be the S49 final between Edmonton and New England. That was the first championship I won while a general manager and my second as a player. I remember the offseason before that season I was at Darien Lake with some friends. Keygan and I were talking deals while I sat in line for the rides. We made a bunch of trades that offseason and felt really good about our team. We didn't do as well in the regular season because we gave some rookies some ice time over inactive players who had better builds. We barely squeaked into the playoffs but we didn't want to ruin one of our rookies first seasons benching them in the regular season. We had an agreement that come playoff time, no one's ice time was guaranteed and we threw some of our better inactive players into higher roles in the lineup. Once we did that our team became much stronger. We beat rivals like Calgary and New Orleans along the way and it ended with a matchup between the Blizzard's former co-gm Ace and our newly formed GM team. We managed to sweep the finals and take home the cup!
[207 words, +3]

Code:

The worst possible playoff format is going to need to give us a few things: 1. lowest quality games 2. Unfairness to lower-seeded teams and 3. little in the way of story lines.

first, we give a bye to the 3rd place team in each division. This is to reward teams for not trying to create super teams. Second we're going to take the first place team from the divison with the most total points and put them against the 2nd place team in the division with the least amount of total points. For the remaining matchups we will hire a monkey to spin a wheel and figure out who will play who (all matchups will be cross-conference, no inner conference play). After the culmination of that round, the monkey will select matchups until there is only one remaining team from the top-8. That top-8 winning team will then need to go through "the gauntlet". They will play against each of the 3rd place division finishers in a single elimination game. If the winner from the top-8 wins all 4 games, they are challenge cup champions, if they lose a game, they are kicked from the playoffs. If the top-8 team is kicked from the playoffs. Any team that they previously beat in the gauntlet will be re-introduced into the playoffs. the 9v10 will play a best of 5 series and the 11v12 will play a best of 9 series to see who goes to the challenge cup championship. The winners of each series will faceoff in a best of 7 series with the caveat it must be won by two games (like tennis). This eliminates any potential elimination game where both teams could win.

[285 words, +2]

Code:

I think if we're doing a bubble, we should do it in Hamilton. I know that might seem a little odd at first, but I think my explanation will make sense. First, when you're in the bubble, you can't do anything. The players were stuck in their rooms all-day and maybe got a few hours here and there to do their own thing. It sounds like an absolutely miserable experience. The last thing you want when you're miserable is to have people around you happy. The last thing you're going to find in Hamilton is happy people. If the bubble is in a nice place like LA or New York the players are going to be looking out their windows and being reminded of all the things they could be doing if not stuck inside this bubble. If everyone was in their hotel room looking outside and Hamilton they'll just be thankful that the room has good air filtering and there's a lower chance of being stabbed in the hotel room than outside of it.

[175 words, +3]

Code:
13. Written, up to 4 TPE - Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Both of these teams have an impressive set of skaters - without factoring in any coaching or tactical strategies, which team do you think has the better roster of skaters on paper?
b. Do you foresee the teams making any strategic adjustments during the course of the series? Should the teams be quick to switch tactics or stick with what they've been using?
c. These two teams hail from the Great Lakes Division. Which of the Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior) do you think is the Greatest and why?
d. If, once it is safe to do so, you had to go hang out in person with one of the users on Buffalo/Hamilton, who would you hang out with and what would you do? (if you pick gabe you get -1 tpe)

c. I'm going to go for Lake Superior because it's right in the name. It was more a process of elimination for me. I've always been taught not to step foot in lake ontario so that's out, Lake Erie is right next to Lake Ontario, I don't want any lakes named after a state (michigan), idk what huron means and once again Superior means best and it's the biggest one. [69 words, +1]

d. I'd probably go hang out with Tomen, it would probably mean making a trip out to Germany which would be cool. He also just seems like a nice smart guy who's always awake so he'll probably be able to pick me up when my flight gets in. When I was on Buffalo many moons ago Tomen was my favourite guy there! [61 words, +1]

Code:
SUBMIT TRIVIA ANSWERS HERE
SENT (+3)

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

Its clear that the Baltimore Platoon are the best team to not make the finals this season. Its all about the locker room. BAP has a great locker room that is better than any in the league. We also are the most physical team in the league, specializing in beating the ever living fuck out of everyone and sacrificing their body for the love of the game. Everyone knows that hockey is a MANS sport so the best team is clearly the one with the least regard for their own physical and mental wellbeing, and the team with the least of that is the BAP bois

8. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (150 words min. if written)
The arenas in Buffalo and Hamilton want to make sure they're pulling out all the stops on the big stage. Help the concessions department of one of these two teams develop a new product, with marketing specifically pertaining to this finals series, to be sold at the arena during the finals. Describe the product and the marketing in 150 words or create a promotional poster showing the product, its name, the price, etc.

Ok, so we all know that this is the season of the rona. It might not actually be, since this season probably started well after rona, but my brain is not really good at timelines and honestly I dont have the knowledge to keep track of all this. Im just trying to do a last minute CW stuff so give me a break ok? Anyways, with this being a playoffs where we have to desperately attract fans and prove to them that they will not melt on impact with the outside world, we must make some sort of infectious disease related gimmick that will make light of this whole situation. For that reason, I present to you, the Bubble Suites. We will charge extra for people to be in these luxury bubbles. Waiters will bring food to you, but it will go in a compartment and close before you open it to limit exposure. We think this will encourage people to come to the games and we can milk every last dollhair outta them

Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Hey hey, waiting until the last minute, thats my greatest specialty. Now I have an unconventional pick for MVP. I think we should give the trophy to Igor Volkov from Hamilton. Why? You already know why! My mantra since making an enforcer is all about GRIT, and Volkov is the grittiest player in this playoffs. He tied for the league playoff league in penalty minutes, and was third in both DGR and hits. He is a physical dude and showcased sound defense. These players dont get recognized enough! So I propose we stop leaving the unsung heroes unsung and start honoring them right here with a trophy for Igor Volkov

Verification Word: Depresso

[Image: Dwy-Sig_copy.gif]
[Image: DzzMoaP.png]

Code:

Reflection on your season - how did your player fare on the ice this
season? Did you meet or surpass your individual player goals or did you
come up short? Whether you excelled or disappointed - what can you
attribute that to? What will you try to do better next season?
Looking back onto the previous season, my goals for my player weren't too high. This was my first season in the SHL, I've finally gotten the chance to un-bank all of my saved up TPE from the previous four seasons. Personally, I'm a fan of where I ended up finishing up the season. I had 8 goals, 13 assists totaling 21 points. You can't really ask for much more from a first year rookie. I'm really looking forward to the off-season as it'll give me the chance to really add to my TPE total and be a much more impactful player next season. I envision my player as being a pure goal scorer. I've managed to get the groundwork set for the build I believe and should be able to be exactly where I want to be within the next couple of seasons. But, you never do know with the SHL. One can only hope!

Code:

If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble (like the NHL did in
Edmonton/Toronto or the NBA in Orlando), which city would be the best
candidate to host as the hub city? What would the players do during
their time in a playoff bubble? (For graphic option, make an
advertisement [like a pamphlet/brochure] in support of a specific city
as the hub city and highlighting the reasons why.)
The NHL and NBA underwent something that no one thought was truly possible, it was truly an unbelievable experience being able to watch the teams play in the bubble. The amount of work and planning that went into allowing all the teams in the league to play in one or two different arena's, running through multiple games per day was unreal. When going under a project that big, it's difficult to find a city that'd be capable of supporting such a huge operation. With that said, I believe that Boston could've easily be a location that'd be able to be used as a bubble for the SHL. There are endless amounts of hotels that surround the TD Garden that could be included within the perimeter of a bubble allowing for plenty of housing for all of the players. In terms of restaurants and leisure activities, there's plenty to do that are easily within walking distance as well so that the players don't feel the isolation as much.

Code:

The New England Wolf Pack was a strong team that was filled to the brim with rookies who're on the swift rise up to stardom. For a team that wasn't even predicted to make the playoffs in the first place. They managed to not only make the playoffs but also prove to be difficult competition for the Edmonton Blizzard in the first round. I truly believe that they had a few unlucky bounces in their games with them and that was the only reason why they didn't make the push deeper into the playoffs and eventually into the finals. They are without a doubt a team you'll see in the finals within the next couple of seasons.

Code:

The IIHF tournament is one of the few events that the SHL partakes in that is rather easy to have an idea of who'll have more success than others. I personally believe that the United States and Canada will be the two strongest teams in the upcoming tournament. Canada in particular has a very strong core year in and year our that's being bolstered by plenty of up and coming rookies. With that said, Russia is always another team that could swoop in and have a great time in the tournament. The United States will be utilizing the services of Ethan Price this year for the first time. He should prove to be an immediate impact for a team that was already a true contender in the tournament. For the remaining countries who're going to be playing, I honestly believe that it'll be a coin flip on who wins their respective series. At the end of the day, you're most likely going to be seeing either the United States or Canada getting the gold medal this year.

Code:

Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC
finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting
back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why
this player deserves it over any other.
The Challenge Cup finals have finally come an end and with that the Hamilton Steel Hawks have been crowned as champions. It was a long series with countless players that deserve the nod for series MVP. With that said, I personally believe that Dick Clapper is the one true MVP from the play-offs and the finals in particular. He finished off the playoffs with ten goals, eleven assists and totaled twenty one points. You can't really ask for much more from a winger on your team than that. He managed to show up and help his team win the championship. Without him, I feel like it would've been next to impossible for Hamilton to secure the championship this year.

Code:
16. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for
each correct answer. This is now completed through a Google form linked
below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get
credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Zomp

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2020, 12:41 AM by GoonerBear.)

Code:

Reginald MacIntyre fared better than I had expected him to this past season. S55 was a statistical disaster, topped off with Ola Wagstrom's playoff suspension and the first-round loss. The postseason included Wagstrom and a loss in the first round the Rage played in, though he was a bigger factor than he was the season prior and I can be alright with that. Once again, he didn't have much of a role from the third defensive pairing, though the team and I have the understanding he's in a mentorship position for his young partner on that spot in the rotation. Next season, I'm not expecting much since it will be his last. The expectation will only be slightly higher if I don't retire him sooner rather than later, though I'm mostly just expecting him to be there, make decent work of things, and try not to collapse too hard just because the light at the end of the tunnel is within sight at the end of a career that saw him compete in 16 SHL seasons.

(162)

Code:

My slack-jawed playoff system takes elements from two little-used postseason systems outside their respective niches. First, for the play-in spot, we're going to actually give the top 7 a bye. The 12 qualify, then we seed 1-12, then teams 8-12 have to compete in a ladder playoff. 12 vs 11 play first, then the winner plays 10, then that winner plays 9, and finally, that winner plays 8 for the right to advance to play...the number 5 seed! Why? Because now we're using the Australian Football League Final Eight system! In short, round 1 is 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, 5 vs 8, 6 vs 7. The winners in the series between the top 4 advance to the Challenge Cup semifinals right away. The losers in those series advance to the quarterfinals to face the winners in the series between the bottom 4. The other two losers are just out. Then, it plays out as a straightforward single-elimination.

(159)

Code:

From how the pandemics have been handled, we need a hub city in Canada. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Out of the available SHL cities, Toronto and Edmonton had NHL activities, so I'd want to give it to Winnipeg, Hamilton, or Calgary. Of those three, I'd favor Calgary as the most distant from a USA border, with Winnipeg as a good backup option or even as a second site if we needed to keep games going until we consolidate down to one. During their time in the bubble, players would be able to take part in activities such as gaming, karaoke, movie night, calls to fan hubs around the world, etc. We have to contain them inside the facilities, so we'd have to import and sanitize this stuff ourselves. Heck, for this lot, we could even have Thunderdome Live! and stream it to fans as a means for players, coaches, owners, and other SHL parties in the bubble to let out some steam off the ice in a good old-fashioned public roast.

(174)

Code:
SUBMIT TRIVIA ANSWERS HERE

Verification word: procrastinator

Speedwagon Player Page | Speedwagon Updates Page 

[Image: speedwagongifsig.gif]

[Image: GoonerBear.gif]

This was not Friedland’s best season, nor was it his worst. Friedland is known as a quarterback defenseman, however, I think we’ve seen he can score goals. He was tied with Aumy Jr for 1st place in Goals For this season. Perhaps Friedland’s talents are overlooked because he shares a blueline with the SMJHL’s greatest defenseman, Axel Foley. We can’t forget that Friedland took the Agante trophy in the same year that Carolina won the FOUR STAR CUP (S54). Carolina ended up losing to Vancouver in the semi-finals, in a heartbreaking series. This marks the end of Friedland’s career, but rest assured, you haven’t seen the last of him. He will continue to improve playing a depth role in Baltimore, slowly climbing the depth charts.
I think it’s also reasonable to suggest that Friedland is developing into a draft steal. He was snagged at 32nd overall by the Hamilton Steelhawks and is performing in the top 25 in his class thus far.

For my playoff bracket, all 12 teams make it. So, in the first round, 1 plays 2, 3 plays 4, 5 plays 6 and so on, meaning 11 plays 12. When the six teams advance, the top seed and bottom seed both get byes, and the remaining 4 teams play a best of 11 to advance to the semi-finals where teams face off against one another based on farthest geographic location. This will make the league super cool because teams wont try to win in the regular season so they can get a decent seed (Like 11th) and advance to the 2nd round bye after defeating the worst team in the league. It will help league parity and everybody wins.

The Carolina Kraken are my vote for the best team to not make the finals. The year before last, they were four star cup champion. Last year, the Kraken made the finals, losing to Newfoundland. This year, the Vancouver Whalers eliminated them in 7. They had perennial MVP favourite Axel Foley manning the D line while their core continued their ascension. A lot of great young rookies like Ichinose and Tupi.. To be honest, losing guys like foley, friedland and vitek will be brutal as next year the Kraken must compete with the likes of an upcoming Battleborn squad and a hefty deep Whalers team once again. I believe that perhaps their window may have closed on them.

My prediction for this years IIHF is as follows: Canada on top. So, out of GROUP A, I believe that Great Britain and Czechia will be the top 2 squads. Out of GROUP B, I believe the two teams to come out on top will be Canada and Norway. Canada is lead by super stud Gabe Johnson. Despite all of his personal shortcomings, he is one hell of a hockey player. Norway has the future HOF’er Eko van Otter who needs to add some more hardware to his trophy case because he is hitting regression real soon,. This is his prime and it won’t get much better than this. Also, I’d like to add that Group B’s AUSTRIAN team will be one hundred percent the WORST team in IIHF history, at least comparatively speaking. They’ll be lucky to tie a game with the 2nd worst team, Latvia. Despitre Jimmy Wagner’s love of Austria, I don’t think he has the tools around him to succeed.

In this hypothetical, I think you’d have to pick the two most isolated cities, which is sort of difficult because cities are not isolated – so I guess a less populated city. In the east, I’d likely pick Hamilton. Hamilton is a gross disgusting dirty city, but it has a much lower population than Manhattan, Baltimore, or even Toronto. Perhaps some activities that eastern conference teams can participate in would be to look at the smog and smoke and smell the disgusting smells of Hamilton while Continuously walking in a circle on a running track. In the west, I’d have to recommend Seattle as the bubble city. I think it has cool bubble vibes and it’s a generally new hockey market. I think that the players will do a lot more cool things than the eastern bubble. Maybe they can go see the needle or something. It’s hard to say but I’d imagine they’ll have a facility capable of hosting 12 Teams.

8. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (150 words min. if written)
The arenas in Buffalo and Hamilton want to make sure they're pulling out all the stops on the big stage. Help the concessions department of one of these two teams develop a new product, with marketing specifically pertaining to this finals series, to be sold at the arena during the finals. Describe the product and the marketing in 150 words or create a promotional poster showing the product, its name, the price, etc.
Buffalo Stampede and the Hamilton Steelhawks both want sellout crowds. In 2020, there is only one thing you can sell grown man-babies to assure that they attend sports games. That is right, you guessed it: Limited edition Steelhawks/Stampede FUNKO pops, featuring a golden GABRIEL JOHNSON Funko for one lucky finals ticket holder, selected at random. The best thing about the golden Gabriel johnson funko is that it also comes with a JOBIN Chrome Tumbler for all your favourite drinks like tea, coffee, milk and juice. Given the shameless commoditizing of pop culture, sports, movies, etc, it should be a hit. Even when the fourth-liners get their own personal funko.
For our more cool hockey fans, both of the Buffalo and Hamilton concessions will be doing a “Twist for 12” draw. Whenever you buy a beer, you will have a chance to win a free beer, a 6 pack, or even a 12 pack.

+16 TPE~!

Code:
PETROV

[Image: mtDOugA.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Bojo Box (C. Knouse)

Quote:1. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)

Kubinec had a very good season in Texas.  He amassed 21 goals and 41 assists.  He finished second in the league for assists and top ten in points with a total of 62.  He was a career season for the forward as he contemplates his future.  That success did not translate to playoff success as the team was sent packing again after four games.  However, a good season is still a good season.  His success can be attributed to the overall improvement of his teammates who also had great season.  Kvalheim was solid if not great as usual and Watcher had a breakout season of his own.  The young players continue to get better and a more complete team around him has bolstered his performance.  Kubinec will look to keep doing his thing this season but hopefully Texas can win a series this time around, if not maybe just a game or two would be nice.  He needs to step up his post-season game for that to happen though.

Quote:3. Written, 2 TPE (100 words min.)
The current playoff format is utter garbage and it needs to change.  There is only one true way to determine the best team in the SHL and that is with a gauntlet.  So here’s how it would work.  The same qualification would be in place but the playoffs themselves would change.  The top seed in each conference has to start off playing the number six seed while the rest of the teams get a bye.  The series winner goes on to face the #5 seed, then #4, etc.  Whatever team wins will advance.  These would be best of three series’.  Then the two conference gauntlet winners face off in a traditional best of seven series to determine the champion.  Book it!

Quote:4. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (150 words min.)If the SHL needed to set up a playoff bubble (like the NHL did in Edmonton/Toronto or the NBA in Orlando), which city would be the best candidate to host as the hub city? What would the players do during their time in a playoff bubble? (For graphic option, make an advertisement [like a pamphlet/brochure] in support of a specific city as the hub city and highlighting the reasons why.)
I’m partial here but I think Austin, Texas would be the best option.  I have never been to Austin and have no real desire to go there but the city is really hungry for some hockey and it might finally lead to a second team in Texas.  Joe Rogan recently moved his studio to Austin and he’s a big fan of simulations.  He could have the star players on the podcast and they could do DMT and talk about heat shock proteins and how it sucks he can’t do comedy anymore.  The players could have Jamie pull all kinds of shit up too like old games and old threads about the crazy wild west times of the SHL.  In additional to being on Rogan they could also meet up with Alex Jones to talk about how Head Office runs a pizza shop in Toronto where they cook babies and sacrifice their bones to Joe Biden.

Quote:5. Written, 2 TPE
Write an SHL themed Haiku Sonnet (see link below) which I just learned is a real thing. The format is: Haiku Haiku Haiku Haiku Couplet

When Buffalo met Steel
To determine the champions
No one watched

Los Angeles giving picks
Away to the Stampede
Makes head itchy

The playoffs make no sense
And conferences mean little anymore
What is life?

Goalies having a crisis
To determine their existence
Do they even exist?

The draft is next week
I should do some media

Quote:7. Written, 3 TPE (150 words min.)

Finland had a very successful pre-season which probably means that they will win one game during the round robin.  I don’t expect too many dramatic changes over next season but maybe Great Britain can do some great things again.  Japan made some noise last season and it would be cool to see them do well again.  I expect Czechia, the U.S, Germany, and Canada to do all do well and I’d say they’ll bring home the medals.  Of the lower ranked teams, I would be surprised to see Finland improve too much but a team like Norway or Switzerland could rise to the occasion.  I’m surprised Russia have been doing so poorly but that will change in the future.  If I was a betting man, which I’m not, I’d say the United States will win gold this season.  They are usually a powerhouse with a plethora of talent at their disposal.  Not too many surprises this season.

Quote:8. Written/Graphic, 3 TPE (150 words min. if written)

Buffalo have a new promotion going for fans of the visiting team.  The away team’s fans are provided free concessions for the game.  Any game.  All you can eat wings, pizza, fries, and all of the drinks you can handle including alcohol.  There is no catch for the fans in attendance and Buffalo’s fans have to pay full price for everything and watch the visitors eat everything.  However, once the season is over Buffalo is awarded with the team’s first round picks.  So most fans decided to pay for their concessions anyway but some fans who were down on their luck elected to take advantage of the offer but now their teams has lost quite a few picks.  No one is really sure how this is even possible and no explanation has been provided by anyone but there is a master plan for everything.  But it is recommended to avoid the buffet in Buffalo so Buffalo doesn’t get a buffet of draft picks.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2020, 12:57 AM by RedCapeDiver.)

Code:

Overall i cant complain about my performance this season, i got 11 goals and 13 assists for 24 points, which is 3 more than last season. Almost identical Hits and shots blocked but averaging 2 more minutes a game. I would have liked to get more points, but as long as Texas is winning i cant complain to much. Next season i am going to be putting some more focus on my offensive game to generate some points. Hopefully my time as a forward in the IIHF tournament gives me some knowledge in that area. Next season i am going to put my goal at 30 points and to increase my hits and shots blocked, while i want to improve my offensive game, i dont want to neglect my defensive side of the game. I think i and texas have a good shot at that since we are going into next season with the exact same roster as last season, with only 2 players in regression.
Code:

As i have only been here since S51, and even then i barely remember that one, i remembered that Calgary one, but would never have guessed that Tampa Bay was the team they played. I think the one that most people who were on the site at the time will remember was the S51 Hamilton over Edmonton series, in which alot of people think deserves an asterisk next to it for the way in which they won. I think another memorable one would be S53 Hamilton over Edmonton because it was the first Challenge Cup won in FHM 6, which funny enough is the same matchup as the previous one. Another series i enjoyed was the S55 Buffalo over New Orleans series which was probably the closest finals we have had in recent years, with 2 games going into overtime with one of them being the final game 7. But i think the best finals will be the S60-S63 finals in which Texas sweeps 3 teams in each of them. those will be my favorite
Code:

Worse backet than FHM's 12 team you say, thats alot to ask, but ill give it a shot. so first off this is going to be a 9 team bracket that will be divided into 3 groups of 3. obviously it will be seeds 1-2-3 / 4-5-6 / 10-11-12
why do we skip teams 7-8-9 you ask, well because seven ate nine and that illegal so they were all banned. now each group will play a each other team in their group 6 times with 2 games a day for 6 days straight. And whoever gets the middle amount of points will move on the the next round, in which all 3 teams will play on the same sheet of ice with 3 pucks on the ice at the same time, each team will have a goalie in each net and 5 skaters on the ice, Good luck.
Code:

I mean this one is easy, its Texas. Texas #1 and there is nothing you can say to make me change my mind. we have 17 or ours 18 players actively earning TPE and only 2 in regression. All but one of our skaters are above 1000 TPE and growing, and while i know this was supposed to be who was the best team to not make the finals this season, and for that the obvious answer was Chicago, like texas they are a young team who has been growing each and every season and even finished above Buffalo in the regular season, so im sure we will see them in the finals in no time
Code:

I am very excited for this seasons IIHF tournament, obviously i am hoping that Norway will do well. We added 3 new players to the roster this season in Bork Lazer, Daniel Laforest, and Dwight Knight as well as the majority of our team growing alot in TPE. My goal for the team this year is to make it out of the round robin, we have been so close the past few seasons, missing it by a matter of a point or two. in regards to teams who will do well, obviously  USA, Canada, and Great Britain will do well. But another team that i am excited to see doing well is team Japan, who are our friends of Team World, so if anyone else is to win i hope its them, Baba Yetu be praised. My other hope for the IIHF tournament is that it gets more love than it has in the past, previously it seems like alot of people just ignore the tournament and dont watch the streams which is unfortunate.

Code:

Potato

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights