Create Account

50-Game-FHM-Era Stat Leaders
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2020, 11:13 PM by Matteo.)

I did one of these at the end of last season, and was gonna wait until the end of next season to do another because I felt it might be a little repetitive to do one of these after each season, but with today's announcement of a new era starting next season, among lots of other stuff, I figured I'd write one to cap off this era. I'm only really gonna talk about new additions this season because I went more in depth about the other players last season. If you want to read about those players a little bit more, you can here. Without further ado, here are the top 5 of each stat for the regular season from S53 to S56.

Player Stats

Goals

1. :berserkers: Mats Marner ( C ) - 32 - Season 55
T-2. :falcons: Edward Williams ( C ) - 30 - Season 53
T-3. :outlaws: "Long" John Donair ( LW ) - 30 - Season 56
T-5. :knights: Jaska Seppala ( LW ) - 27 - Season 54
T-5. :raptors: Sven Svenson ( LW ) - 27 - Season 55

Anaheim's John Donair had an excellent season, but his 30 goals wasn't enough to break Mats Marner's record for the era. As a 350-capped player though, his 30 goals is incredibly impressive and enough for him to tie for the 2nd place spot. Expect him to come back next season as a 425-capped player and set the bar high for goals in the new era. Donair coming onto this list also means that somebody has to leave, and it's Anchorage's Mitchell van der Heijden with his 26 goals way back in season 53.

Assists

1. :berserkers: Matthew Forester ( C ) - 38 - Season 54
2. :berserkers: Ryuuji Minamino ( RW ) - 35 - Season 55
3. :falcons: Edward Williams ( C ) - 34 - Season 53
T-4. :armada: Chris de Siren ( RW ) - 33 - Season 55
T-4. :kraken: Axel Foley ( LD ) - 33 - Season 56

In what has been a relatively low-scoring season compared to others, Carolina's Axel Foley was able to crack the bottom of this list. If this wasn't impressive enough, he was the only player from season 56 to make the list, meaning he led the league in assists, and he is a defenseman. Foley knocks three players from this list, all with 32 assists, including Kelowna's Rocco Berni from season 54, Carolina's Linus Grimstad from season 55, and Anaheim's Hubert Andrews from this season. As a sidenote, I could have sworn that James Boxman II should be on this list, who retired from Anaheim earlier this season to recreate, but his name is nowhere to be found in the index.

1. :falcons: Edward Williams ( C ) - 64 - Season 53
2. :berserkers: Mats Marner ( C ) - 62 - Season 55
T-3. :armada: Chris de Siren ( RW ) - 56 - Season 55
T-3. :berserkers: Ryuuji Minamino ( RW ) - 56 - Season 55
T-5. :kraken: Linus Grimstad ( C ) - 54 - Season 55
T-5. :whalers: Daniil Nikiforov ( C ) - 54 - Season 56

As the season 56 points leader, Vancouver's Daniil Nikiforov's 54-point season was just enough to add himself as the 6th name on this list. I'm surprised that this is Vancouver's first name we've seen considering the dominant season they just had, but with Nikiforov and many others still on the team next season, I'm sure they'll still be good enough to have some players with a crazy amount of points in a 66-game season.

+/-

1. :falcons: Guy O'Shea ( RD ) - +44 - Season 53
2. :armada: Pojo Biscuit ( LD ) - +39 - Season 55
3. :falcons: Toki Wartooth ( LD ) - +37 - Season 53
4. :armada: Bork Lazer ( RD ) - +36 - Season 55
5. :kraken: Linus Grimstad ( C ) - +35 - Season 55

Nobody from season 56 joining this list, as the player with the highest +/- was Vancouver's Zebulon Leavitt with a +32, but if nothing else you can look at this list and the others above it to see just how dominant Detroit was in season 53. It would seem like they sold their future to do this, but for an 84-point season and a Four-Star Cup, it was definitely worth it.

Penalty Minutes

1. :citadelles: Boris Petrov ( RD ) - 211 - Season 55
2. :battleborn: Raivo Helminen ( C ) - 142 - Season 56
3. :timber: Valentin Kalashnikov ( RD ) - 135 - Season 55
4. :citadelles: Boris Petrov ( RD ) - 116 - Season 56
5. :raptors: Juni Panda ( RW ) - 106 - Season 55

Two naughty boys from this season making this list - Nevada's Raivo Helminen and, for the second time in his second season, Quebec City's Boris Petrov. Both players are 350-capped, but it looks like they're trending in opposite directons. Helminen went from 16 penalty minutes, that's right 16 in 50 games, to 142, so it would seem like that's a player that found his edge and is leaning into it. On the other hand Petrov reduced his penalty minutes by nearly 100, opting for a little bit more offense. We'll see where each player stands next season when they're 425-capped, and I'd like to say that Boris Petrov's record of 211 penalty minutes is safe even with a 66-game schedule for the sake of player safety, but if Helminen continues the way he has then he might just spend the whole season sitting in the box. Helminen and Petrov knock Detroit's superstar Edward Williams and Carolina's Adam Friedland off this list, with 95 and 94 penalty minutes each in season 53.

Hits

1. :citadelles: Boris Petrov ( RD ) - 326 - Season 55
2. :battleborn: Raivo Helminen ( C ) - 254 - Season 56
3. :raptors: Juni Panda ( RW ) - 242 - Season 55
4. :scarecrows: Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette ( LD ) - 216 - Season 53
5. :timber: Valentin Kalashnikov ( RD ) - 212 - Season 55

Nevada's Raivo Helminen once again makes a physical stats list this season, and it's the same story. Last season he finished with 59 hits, nearly 200 fewer than this season. One possible theory for this sudden burst of physicality is that he spent all of last season charging up, Dragon Ball Z style, and this season he released his energy. I've never actually watched the show so I'm not sure if this is actually how it works, but this is what I've heard. In any case, Helminen knocks Detroit's Edward Williams off yet another list, which might just make his physical game become lost to time and forgotten.

Fights

1. :citadelles: Boris Petrov ( RD ) - 15 (9 won) - Season 55
2. :timber: Valendin Kalashnikov ( RD ) - 15 (8 won) - Season 55
3. :kraken: Adam Friedland ( LD ) - 14 (7 won) - Season 54
4. :citadelles: Boris Petrov ( RD ) - 13 (11 won) - Season 56
5. :berserkers: Niccolo Livius ( RW ) - 12 (11 won) - Season 56

Old habits die hard for Quebec City's Boris Petrov, as he appeared in 13 fights this season, winning 11 of them. Newfoundland's Niccolo Livius was the other player to make this list this season, winning 11 of 12 fights fought. What's interesting is that Livius has been in the league since season 53, which leads me to ask, where has he been in previous seasons? In any case, Petrov and Livius have both made this list this season, knocking two Adam Friedland seasons off, his season 53 where he fought 12 times and won 9, and his season 55 where he fought 10 times and won 7. Friedland also fought a lot in what will be his final SMJHL season, 9 times, including 5 wins. This means that over the last four seasons, he has been in 45 total fights and won 28 of them, and that deserves an hounourable mention.

Blocked Shots

1. :timber: Will Windsor ( LD ) - 185 - Season 54
2. :timber: Will Windsor ( LD ) - 160 - Season 55
3. :outlaws: Emilia Bergman ( RD ) - 138 - Season 55
4. :scarecrows: Bud Weiser ( RD ) - 137 - Season 56
5. :timber: Will Windsor ( LD ) - 132 - Season 53

I think this is my favourite list, not only because I'm a goalie, but because I have a connection to every player on here. The only addition to this list this season is none other than the king of beers himself, St. Louis' Bud Weiser. Let me tell you (sorry I channeled my inner Don Cherry for a second there), I'm glad Weiser was drafted to the same place as me in Chicago, because a player that can block shots like that is a goalie's best friend. It's a shame that the Will Windsor experiment had to end in his retirement since he was also drafted to Chicago (IIRC), but his recreate, Jari Heikkinen, was drafted to Quebec City, my juniors team, so maybe he can recreate some of that Will Windsor magic for me. Emilia Bergman was traded to the Citadelles last offseason, and she blocked 104 shots for me as well. The player that was knocked off this list by Bud Weiser was Newfoundland's Tinke Jutila, who blocked 130 shots in season 53.

Goalie Stats

Save Percentage (minimum 13 games played)

1. :armada: Scoochie Stratton - 0.933 - Season 55
2. :whalers: Jon St. Ark - 0.930 - Season 56
3. :falcons: Thor Odinson - 0.927 - Season 53
4. :citadelles: Tyler Ward - 0.923 - Season 56
5. :outlaws: Separa Borro - 0.923 - Season 55

13 games played is a little arbitrary, but it's a quarter of the season and that's the number I've decided to go with. There's two new names on this list for season 56, and crazily enough they're both rookies. Vancouver's Jon St. Ark and Quebec City's Tyler Ward were able to break into the league in a big way, getting a .930 and a .923, respectively. This puts St. Ark solidly in 2nd place, and Ward in 4th, just .0005 ahead of Anaheim's Separa Borro. It will be exciting to watch these two talented young players progress over the next few seasons, as they knocked off two veteran Carolina goalies in Blunt Man and Frans Eller, both with a .920 in season 55 and season 53, respectively.

Goals Against Average (minimum 13 games played)

1. :falcons: Thor Odinson - 1.47 - Season 53
2. :armada: Scoochie Stratton - 1.62 - Season 55
3. :whalers: Jon St. Ark - 1.62 - Season 56
4. :falcons: A Jobin - 1.92 - Season 53
5. :kraken: Ragnar-Alexandre Ragnarsson-Tremblay - 1.99 - Season 55

Vancouver's Jon St. Ark makes yet another appearance, as his goals against average of 1.62 this season falls barely short of Scoochie Stratton in season 55, just 0.005 goals per 60 minutes. Still, this doesn't take away from his impressive rookie season on the Whalers, as like every other name mentioned, his is cemented on this list moving into the new era. St. Ark knocks Blunt Man's season 55 and his goals against average of 1.99 off yet another list.

Shutouts

1. :armada: Scoochie Stratton - 9 - Season 55
2. :knights: Peter Ramsey - 8 - Season 55
3. :berserkers: Cale Amundsen - 7 - Season 56
T-4. :knights: Cillian Kavanagh - 6 - Season 54
T-4. :kraken: Blunt Man - 6 - Season 55
T-4. :berserkers: Cale Amundsen - 6 - Season 55

Newfoundland's Cale Amundsen finds himself on this list for the second time before he makes the jump to the SHL. He seems to be leaving Newfoundland in good hands though, as their backup from this season and seemingly goalie of the future, Hugo Gronroos, had a shutout of his own in his rookie season. It will be interesting to watch how Amundsen's career progresses in the SHL with the team that drafted him, the Calgary Dragons.

Minutes Played

1. :whalers: Name Redacted - 2638 - Season 53
2. :scarecrows: Nicolae Antonescu - 2626 - Season 55
3. :falcons: Thor Odinson - 2602 - Season 56
4. :kraken: Frans Eller - 2592 - Season 54
5. :knights: Cillian Kavanagh - 2568 - Season 53

Last season I stupidly made this games played instead of minutes played because I didn't realize that backups had to play at least 6 games, so this season I changed it to minutes played, but it's pretty much the same names anyways, just in a different order. At the top of the list is Vancouver's Name Redacted, who came just two minutes shy of having exactly 44 games played. The new addition this season is Detroit's Thor Odinson, who was the iron man of the season.

Game Rating (all positions) (minimum 13 games played)

1. :armada: Mitchell van der Heijden ( C ) - 79 - Season 53
2. :scarecrows: Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette ( LD ) - 76 - Season 53
3. :armada: Scoochie Stratton ( G ) - 75 - Season 55
T-4. :berserkers: Cale Amundsen ( G ) - 74 - Season 53
T-4. :kraken: Frans Eller ( G ) - 74 - Season 53
T-4. :timber: Leo Bloomfield ( G ) - 74 - Season 54
T-4. :citadelles: Alexander Roach ( C ) - 74 - Season 55
T-4. :whalers: Name Redacted ( G ) - 74 - Season 55
T-4. :outlaws: Separa Borro ( G ) - 74 - Season 55
T-4. :battleborn: C.K. Supernaw ( G ) - 74 - Season 55

There's no new season 56 players here so I don't have too much to say. The players with the highest game rating this season were two goalies, Vancouver's Jon St. Ark and Nevada's C.K. Supernaw, both with 73.

Last season I also took a look at how many times players from each team appeared, which I thought was kind of fun and interesting, so I'm gonna do that again. I also decided not to include the powerplay points list for this season, which if you want to compare these numbers to last season, that would have been three Newfoundland players, two Anchorage players, and two Carolina players.
9 - :armada: ; 9 - :falcons: ; 9 - :berserkers: ; 8 - :kraken: ; 7 - :timber: ; 7 - :citadelles: ; 5 - :whalers: ; 4 - :outlaws: ; 4 - :knights: ; 4 - :scarecrows: ; 3 - :battleborn: ; 3 - :raptors: 

2366 words

Not sure why the logos aren't working :(

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

This was cool! Kinda bummed I couldnt get that extra point or two I needed (I forget what I ended up with). That +/- for the S53 Falcons is ridiculous lol.

And thank you for recognizing I am at the 350 cap. Who's to say the chemistry will continue when I add to certain things at 425 - that said I obviously hope I can go for 30 or even 35 again.

11-08-2020, 10:31 AMGCool Wrote: This was cool! Kinda bummed I couldnt get that extra point or two I needed (I forget what I ended up with). That +/- for the S53 Falcons is ridiculous lol.

And thank you for recognizing I am at the 350 cap. Who's to say the chemistry will continue when I add to certain things at 425 - that said I obviously hope I can go for 30 or even 35 again.
For sure, 30 goals was crazy impressive and I'm a curious and a little worried to see what you'll do with 75 more TPE and 16 more games. I feel like you'll tear it up, just hopefully not against QCC  Laughing

SMJHL is not confirmed going to 66 games at this time

11-08-2020, 01:28 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: SMJHL is not confirmed going to 66 games at this time
Oh is it just SHL?

11-08-2020, 09:12 PMMatteo Wrote:
11-08-2020, 01:28 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: SMJHL is not confirmed going to 66 games at this time
Oh is it just SHL?

confirmed for the SHL, not confirmed for the J, we have the game breakdown done for 50/66 but HO has yet to decide.