Create Account

WJC Preview: USA Defense

Why don't we take a look at one of the strengths of the USA WJC team this season, the defense. The players are there for this team to show it's worth on the backend. With a few scores back there, don't be surprised to see the defenders get involved in the rush and score some points of their own.

NOTE: PAIRINGS ARE NOT OFFICIAL, THIS IS A RANDOM GUESS
Eluf Jericson "A" (Capped at 425) - Colin Lambert "A" (Capped at 425)
How about the two alternate captains being on the same line? Just have to hope there is no bad blood between the Maine Timber and the St. Louis Scarecrows after the Timber and Jericson came back from down 3-1 to the Scarecrows and Lampert. Lampert put up 27 points, 21 of them on assists. Jericson put up 25, notching 10 goals, with four of them on the PP. This is a team that should consider having multiple defenders on the PP.

Pojo Biscuit "C" (Capped at 425) -Johnny Shuffleboard (Capped at 425)
The Captain of the USA team Pojo Biscuit, a member of the Armada did not face Johnny Shuffleboard and the Whalers in the still ongoing playoffs. These two were a pair last WJC and I'd expect that to stay. Biscuit notched 10 goals this season and 17 assists. Shuffleboard had 9 goals and 15 assists. See what I was saying about a very offensive minded D group?

James LeBlond (Capped at 425) - Zebulon Leavit (Capped at 350)
LeBlond had 29 points for the Outlaws. But I'm pairing him Leavitt who is more defense minded. Leavitt had 22 points, but is more know for his defensive play, and great possession numbers, he led the league in corsi with 63.3%. All of that possenion that he drives can lead to chances for LeBlond to score.

Sean Gatez (298 TPE)/ Michael Scotch (263 TPE)- Jed Mosley JR (Capped at 425)
I'd expect Gatez and Scotch to be rotated here playing with Mosley JR. of Colorado had 20 points, but might have been hurt by his 98.4 PDO. Gatez plays for the Timber had just 9 points and was a -18. Scotch plays for Anaheim and had 12 assists and no goals. That's gotta be some extra motivation to try to score your first goal in the WJC rather than the SMJHL. (I speak from experience)

All in all, a very experienced group (6 425s and 1 350), and a rather offensive group. How will they give PP time to all these defenders is beyond me, and the PK may struggle. Let the games begin.

----------
434 words, WJC double media

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]