Create Account

Define Eligibility for Awards

I've come across a couple different times where a "rule" isn't recorded on the site and most recently for the Raymond Lindsey voting thread specifically around the ineligibility of Boxman because he retired.  My question is where is it written down as a rule that he is ineligible?  Does the Raymond Lindsey require a certain number of games played that he didn't meet? Or does the act of retirement make a player completely ineligible to receive an award of any kind so an end of season retirement also would nullify eligibility?

Beyond that in LR discussions it came up that IA players can't receive awards.  Where is that written down?  I fully get the idea of wanting to reward active players, but if that's what the league wants then define it in either the rules or specific award eligibility requirements.  

P.S. Yes I know that hhh included a ps saying Boxman can't get it, but like... why not? What rule is he using to justify that statement?

I don't really think he needs a rule.  Writing a rulebook for every department and thing on the site is probably more work than it's worth.  If trips and the awards committee decide they don't want to give awards to IA players or retired J players then I don't see a problem.  I see deciding stuff like this as part of what they do.

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

I think your question is two different things together; I'm happy to answer both.

It's because Boxman II flat out doesn't exist anymore--the user recreating while his player is active in the J makes him go poof. Disappears from the index, etc. That's enough reason for me.

As for IA players being ineligible, the point of the SMJHL is to recognize and reinforce newer, younger users who are actively participating and engaging in the league. I can't do anything about an IA player getting top scorer, but for a voted award I will never vote for an inactive player when there are active players contributing to the league. What you recognize and reward is what you reinforce as what you want. I want active, excited users engaged in the site.

My committee is told almost first thing every season an inactive player (as defined by the site--30 days no post) is ineligible.

My DMs are always open to answer questions about awards; anyone is free to reach out and chat with me.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

11-10-2020, 06:10 PMPatty Wrote: I don't really think he needs a rule.  Writing a rulebook for every department and thing on the site is probably more work than it's worth.  If trips and the awards committee decide they don't want to give awards to IA players or retired J players then I don't see a problem.  I see deciding stuff like this as part of what they do.

I mean if there's a rule, write it down. If it's not a rule, no problem

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

11-10-2020, 07:15 PMhhh81 Wrote: I think your question is two different things together; I'm happy to answer both.

It's because Boxman II flat out doesn't exist anymore--the user recreating while his player is active in the J makes him go poof. Disappears from the index, etc. That's enough reason for me.

As for IA players being ineligible, the point of the SMJHL is to recognize and reinforce newer, younger users who are actively participating and engaging in the league. I can't do anything about an IA player getting top scorer, but for a voted award I will never vote for an inactive player when there are active players contributing to the league. What you recognize and reward is what you reinforce as what you want. I want active, excited users engaged in the site.

My committee is told almost first thing every season an inactive player (as defined by the site--30 days no post) is ineligible.

My DMs are always open to answer questions about awards; anyone is free to reach out and chat with me.

So a player must appear in the index to be eligible for an award?  I'm fully on board if that's what we want to go with.  So like a retired player that's still in the index is eligible for awards, that makes sense to me.  I just want stuff like that to be written down because if I'm gonna say go through FHM files from the TD he exists, same w/ Devin Williams on KEL (although he obviously wouldn't be nominated for anything).

And then on the IA side if that's what the committee is told then why can't we just add a sentence to the rulebook or the relevant award criteria so that non committee members can know that as well.  It feels pretty arbitrary to have award voting and be told someone is ineligible without a rule or award criteria backing that up.