Create Account

Olympics

SHL should have the Olympics every 4 seasons. They could happen mid-season with no pause to SHL schedule (or maybe a pause for m'realism). The IIHF tournaments between Olympics could determine who qualifies and what not.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

Throughout my entire term as IIHF commish, I routinely looked at what other possible tournaments along the lines of an Olympics we could have.

So many older users speak of the S10 Olympics as better than any other IIHF tournament back in the day, and while things have changed, I wanted to recapture that somehow.

Ultimately, it always came back to one question: how do we make the Olympics different enough to warrant them?

Is less team and a different title enough? I wanted a more drastic change, something that sets the Olympics apart.

iirc we looked at changing eligibility for Olympic seasons but that didn't go very far.

Ultimately, in this version of the idea, I think a mid-season tournament is rough, as demonstrated by the recent WJC and the S20's friendlies schedule. Granted, the IIHF was only recently founded/reformed in that second example, and it's been a long while, and they were just friendlies, but they felt like they took the wind out of the sails. I think the off-season is prime real estate for international hockey of all levels since nothing else is going on, there is no other team to cheer for except your nation.

As for who qualifies, yeah we were looking at a system where ranking was taken into consideration (since it's based on 4 years anyway) and perhaps gold and silver medal winners automatically qualify or something similar. Also, for the teams who don't qualify, a tournament could be run for them. I can't imagine if they'd be interested or not, but engagement for those teams is important I'd say.

I get a feeling you might be going for the realism/complete experience with this, which isn't the way I governed the IIHF, but I haven't been in charge for a while so I'm just throwing some thoughts out there.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

11-16-2020, 01:12 PMartermis Wrote: Throughout my entire term as IIHF commish, I routinely looked at what other possible tournaments along the lines of an Olympics we could have.

So many older users speak of the S10 Olympics as better than any other IIHF tournament back in the day, and while things have changed, I wanted to recapture that somehow.

Ultimately, it always came back to one question: how do we make the Olympics different enough to warrant them?

Is less team and a different title enough? I wanted a more drastic change, something that sets the Olympics apart.

iirc we looked at changing eligibility for Olympic seasons but that didn't go very far.

Ultimately, in this version of the idea, I think a mid-season tournament is rough, as demonstrated by the recent WJC and the S20's friendlies schedule. Granted, the IIHF was only recently founded/reformed in that second example, and it's been a long while, and they were just friendlies, but they felt like they took the wind out of the sails. I think the off-season is prime real estate for international hockey of all levels since nothing else is going on, there is no other team to cheer for except your nation.

As for who qualifies, yeah we were looking at a system where ranking was taken into consideration (since it's based on 4 years anyway) and perhaps gold and silver medal winners automatically qualify or something similar. Also, for the teams who don't qualify, a tournament could be run for them. I can't imagine if they'd be interested or not, but engagement for those teams is important I'd say.

I get a feeling you might be going for the realism/complete experience with this, which isn't the way I governed the IIHF, but I haven't been in charge for a while so I'm just throwing some thoughts out there.

I've always been a proponent for starting IIHF during the playoff semis, much like how the IIHF runs alongside the NHL playoffs in real life. Would keep it fresh as you will have different players not be eligible each season, and give opportunity to some newer players to make their team earlier than expected. Then you could do the Olympics every 4 seasons as a true best on best during an offseason with no players busy playing in the SHL.

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

11-16-2020, 04:01 PMFlappyGiraffe Wrote:
11-16-2020, 01:12 PMartermis Wrote: Throughout my entire term as IIHF commish, I routinely looked at what other possible tournaments along the lines of an Olympics we could have.

I've always been a proponent for starting IIHF during the playoff semis, much like how the IIHF runs alongside the NHL playoffs in real life. Would keep it fresh as you will have different players not be eligible each season, and give opportunity to some newer players to make their team earlier than expected. Then you could do the Olympics every 4 seasons as a true best on best during an offseason with no players busy playing in the SHL.

My problem with IIHF starting alongside the playoffs (and roster restrictions happening because of them) is that some teams will not be able to field a squad with all 4 lines intact. For example, Switzerland would only have Seger, Zimmermann, Tegernako, Berni, and Archer, plus a bunch of inactive players (this is also presuming that SMJHL playoffs would lead to restrictions too). It's not feasible.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

11-16-2020, 04:01 PMFlappyGiraffe Wrote:

That's a solid work-around that wouldn't require much change in our current system.

Only concern of mine I think comes in the form of teams who may need every players they have, not to mention the already tedious task of double checking rosters to ensure they are all actives by the commish team (unless that's in a spreadsheet now, idk).

but yeah I like that, goes beyond realism for realism's sake

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]