Create Account

Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks (Season 42) [1706 Words]
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 01:17 PM by Chevy.)

Welcome again SHL to this media series I'm putting together that takes a look at the 1st round draft picks and whether or not they had an impact in the league.  As always, the baseline idea on the decision is "Did the player reach 1K tpe, and if they did, what was their peak earnings before regression".  Other factors will include cup championships & individual accolades.

Season Index
Season 40
Season 41

[Image: r2RuP2J.png]

SEASON 42

Wolfpack select Rafe Ulrich 1st Overall
We've touched on a few players that have made careers in the league with the same team.  Rafe isn't the first, and definitely won't be the last.  A career member of "The Pack", Rafe has been a consistent producer in points for New England, with a peak 50 Points coming in Season 47.  Having played, so far 650 games in New England and racking up 424 points, the only thing Ulrich needs to finish off the career is a nice Challenge Cup.  Yeah, a cup I'm sure would be nice to sit alongside the Jesseter trophy and all star nominations that they've received.  While solidly on the downhill slope of regression, this living legend peaked at 1442 TPE earned.
Official Verdict:  BOOM

2. Riot select Herb Robert
Herb was able to start, and finish his career with the team that drafted him (Seattle Riot...aka Tampa Bay), but interestingly enough those aren't the teams that defined his long career.  Through his 600 games played, Herb donned the sweaters of Seattle/Tampa Bay, New England, Manhattan, Chicago and San Francisco.  His most productive time coming in New England with the Wolfpack (4 seasons:  62 goals, 91 Assists).  Despite doing some traveling and accumulating a career total of 393 points from 169 Goals and 224 assists, Herb was unfortunately never able to secure any individual or team awards.  He did though, earn enough tpe to peak out at 1439 earned.
Verdict:  BOOM
3. Renegades select Harvey Danger
Another single team "career" skater, Harvey spent his entire professional career in Texas as a Renegade.  While in Texas, Harvey piled on 600 games and notched a total of 82 goals and 267 assists for a grand total of 349 points.  Even more impressive than this was the over 1000 hits that Harvey contributed to.  If you had the puck against Texas, it would seem there was a good chance you'd find yourself on the ice.  Season 51 was Harvey's capstone year as he racked up 53 points, but unfortunately there were no individual or team accolades to contribute to his trophy case.   Regardless, Harvey is the first one on this seasons' list to hit the 1500 tpe mark at 1572 which solidifies his position as a boomer.
Verdict:  BOOM
4. Stars select Jordon von Matt
Originally drafted by Toronto, Jordon now finds himself donning the sweater of Los Angeles after a successful run with the Blizzard.  Grabbing a challenge cup win in his career and netting over 50 goals and 200 assists, Jordan peaked at just over 1000 tpe at 1029...barely securing his status as a boomer.
Verdict: BOOM
5.  Rage select Maui
What can you say except, you're welcome?  Well not to Manhattan.  Maui only spent one season there and the rest of his career in Tampa Bay as a Barracuda.  Ironic considering his namesake is famous for having a fish hook.  Though despite a career 450 games played with an incredible 977 hits and a Biscuit award win...Maui never peaked 1000.  Topping off at 989, he is unfortunately...not much without his hook.
Verdict: BUST
6.  Steelhawks select Eriks Skalbergs
A short lived career in the big leagues, despite Hamilton's knack for winning championships it seems, Skalbergs wasn't part of that "cool kids club".  With three seasons in Hamilton and one final one as part of the Jets, Ericks only tallied 40 goals in 200 games.  He peaked his TPE at 610 and virtually called it quits early.
7.  Rage select Sachimo Zoidberg Jr
Why not Zoidberg?  Or in this case Zoidberg Jr?  Well only getting a total of 20 points over 250 games played is probably why not....and definitely not something to get you into the hall.  Racking up an SMJHL worthy 426 tpe, Zoidberg is relegated to buster territory.
8.  Rage select Tokek Takshak
This draft was dominated it seems by selections from Manhattan, and unfortunately for them it wasn't their best draft year.  Out of four first round picks, Tokek marks their third bust of this draft.  225 points over 500 games played between the Rage and the Pride, there were no individual accolades that graced the trophy room for Takshak, and having only peaked at 955 tpe, Takshak wraps up a triple bust for Manhattan, and a triple bust overall for the draft between Skalbergs, Zoidberg Jr and himself.
9. Chiefs select Geoff Moore
Like many players that will eventually grace this list, Geoff is one of those greats that on paper, didn't look great.  Bouncing a whole career primarily on Minnesota, then back and forth with Baltimore before a season in Manhattan and then wrapping up on the Inferno expansion team, Geoff consistently took shooters to school on the art of shot blocking, racking up 1246 blocked shots and also tallied up an impressive 348 points over 652 games.  Padding this impressive career is the fact that he peaked at over 1500 tpe before regression started to take hold.  
10.  Renegades select Nicholas Falk (aka Noah Konn)
Now this one, so far is the most interesting person I've written about...simply because unless I'm looking in the wrong places, searches on this site have found that he virtually didn't exist.  I could be completely wrong and was looking in the wrong areas, but as far as I can tell....he is like Jack Dawson of the Chippewa Falls Dawsons and only exists in some old ladies memory.  A bust so bad, it rivals the 0-50 Tampa Bay team.
EDIT:  Thanks to @JayWhy I found out why I couldn't find him.  He ended up going under the name of Noah Konn!   So adjusted for this new information, Nicholas Falk aka Noah Konn is the first on this series to get a re-verdict!  Having earned (what I can tell when he abruptly retired) 1544 tpe and also tallied up a McDonald award and 2nd All Star Team nomination, Nicholas also had 1092 hits and 236 points in his 400 game career with Texas, New England and the Jets.  
11.  Steelhawks select Geezus Kryyst
A legend in his own right (yes, bias goalie love here).  Kryyst's tenure in Hamilton may be unmatched.  Having played 12 seasons there before being shipped over to San Francisco for the upcoming Jobin, Geezus career is definitely hall of fame worthy.  300 career wins (so far) regular season.  Two challenge cups, a Rookie All Star, a 2nd All Star team nomination, two Rasov wins and three McBride nominations and a career 90.81 save percentage puts this guy into legendary goalie status.  Having peaked at 1766 tpe, Geezus is certifiably risen as a boomer.
12.  Jets select Troy McClure III
Hi!  I'm Troy McClure! is something shared among many players in the league who have faced off against Troy.  Why?  It would seem that was his statement of choice as he would line you up for each of his 1156 career hits.  Over 700 career games played between Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Hamilton and New England, Troy has two challenge cups to his name and 289 points on top of that.  After peaking at 1465 TPE, Troy goes down as a boomer...even if his career is anything but anymore.
Verdict: Boom
13.  Rage select David Kastrba
Finally, we've arrived at Manhattan's saving grace for this draft.  A lifetime Rage fanatic, David is the one player of the four this draft by Manhattan that lived up to being a first round pick.  In his continuing career, Kastrba has picked up one Challenge Cup and tallied a total of 316 points.  Kastrba also made his physical presence known with over 1400 hits so far in his career.  Chances are, he's knocked you over if you've played Manhattan any time in the last 10 years.  Having peaked at 1423 TPE, Kastrba is certifiably a boomer.
14. Riot select Scottey Crawfling
While originally picked up by Seattle (now Tampa Bay), Scotty is most known for his tenure with Manhattan.  With 105 wins off of 232 played games and a career 90.32 save percentage Scotty has had a decent career as a goaltender.  He even has a Challenge Cup win with Manhattan.  Not bad for a seemingly career back up goalie.   TPE wise, he peaked at 956 tpe, which by that account alone he would be considered a bust.  However with the great save percentage and a Challenge Cup to his name, Scottey has found a good middle ground here on the list.
Verdict:  3.6 Roentegen.  Not great, Not Terrible
And for some random summary about this draft class:
Average TPE: 1113
Highest Earner: Geezus Kryyst
Lowest Earner: Nicholas Falk
%Bust: 42%
Stay tuned as we dive into the start of the arguably "legend" classes of Season 43 and 44 next!

Quote:14. Riot select Scottey Crawfling

@notorioustig are you aware that Scottey Crawfling was drafted by Seattle?
Seems to be full circle, a happy little accident.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

Rough draft for the rage, damn

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Nicholas Falk was NJBadApple, he changed his name to something else which is why you can't find him. He was on pace for 2k tpe I think or was like just about to hit it and then retired out of the blue.

This actually wasn't that bad of a draft for us. While they weren't superstars that we got other than Dave, it yielded a trade for us that got us Alex Winters, gave us CC2 in the 2nd round, and the pieces from this draft ended up helping us a lot with Takshak being my co-GM for a while and Maui bringing back a good return for a pretty solid DFD. The reason we had so many picks in this draft was that originally this was supposed to be the next reddit draft, following the 6 month structure and that this draft would've been held in May right at the end of the semester for college kids meaning they'd have a full summer to get hooked on SHL. Instead the higher ups decided that May was a horrible time to recruit college kids and pushed the reddit draft back a season and effectively screwed me. These picks are what the Nuck "relived" trade was about, him planning on getting reddit 1sts rather than taking the guaranteed top picks in a non-reddit.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Maui was a solid player

[Image: 3.png]

I can't get hype for this knowing I won't be a part of the s43 article

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 02:27 PM by ml002.)

If you could not do like S43-S46 I'd appreciate it just so I don't cry about Toronto's drafts

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

11-24-2020, 12:48 PMCementHands Wrote:
Quote:14. Riot select Scottey Crawfling

@notorioustig are you aware that Scottey Crawfling was drafted by Seattle?
Seems to be full circle, a happy little accident.

You motherfucker I was having a nice morning

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

11-24-2020, 02:27 PMml002 Wrote: If you could not do like S43-S46 I'd appreciate it just so I don't cry about Toronto's drafts

My bank account for bribes is #4307.  $1M per season Tongue