Create Account

From Japanese reality star to SMJHL - the journey begins
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2020, 08:40 PM by lmao.)

[2x - first article]

San Francisco Chronicle
by Janet SNAKEHOLE

This man is well recognized in Japan, but will that translate to North American success? Shion Okamoto is the latest player to throw his hat in the ring of the SMJHL draft. Standing at 6'6" and 230 lbs, he hopes to bring the flair on left defense.

[Image: Screenshot_12-1024x624-1024x585-1.jpg]
Pictured - Shion before becoming much larger

Born in Karuizawa, Japan, he spent most of his childhood in the Bay Area - quickly taking a liking to hockey. He was whisked back to Japan at the age of 14 and set his sights on making the Japanese national team.

REALITY CONNECTION

Recognizing that the chance of making a living by playing hockey in Japan was very low, Shion turned to an opportunity that fell into his lap - modeling. Eventually, he was recruited to be a participant on Terrace House, a Japanese reality TV show. Terrace House is similar to Big Brother, but with more civil interactions. Six members live together while going about their daily lives (whether that be modeling, going to university, being a professional skateboarder, or more). The show featured many mixed race people from Japan like Shion.

Shion arrived at the house and waited for more members to arrive. What happened next turned out to be too good be true. Tsubasa Sato walked in wearing a Chicago Syndicate hat.

Unbelievably, Tsubasa was a junior ice hockey player gunning for the women's national team. She was the captain of the Karuizawa Fairies, hoping to lead her team to nationals and make a name for herself.

[Image: ackj01xe42d11.jpg?auto=webp&s=0e254801d5...22efb1dc9c]
PICTURED - Tsubasa Sato (#25) with Shion on the ice after a Japan national tournament game

The pair formed a close bond quickly and ended up dating. To make a long story short, even though the two are no longer together, Shion rekindled his love for hockey throughout their relationship. He moved back to the Bay Area and began training in Palo Alto.

RISE TO SMJHL

Shion recognized there was a long way to go to even get on the radar of SMJHL scouts. We sat down with him for an interview to learn more.

JANET - Thanks for being here Shion. What motivated you to get back into hockey?

SHION - My pleasure. Honestly, seeing Tsubasa's drive to get to the national team made me want to get back into it. Modeling wasn't really doing it for me anyways.

JANET - How would you describe your style of play?

SHION - You can't win if you don't score. I may be on D, but I want to spend all my time at the other end of the ice. People might have heard of a guy named Brent Burns - I want to be him.

JANET - Those are rather big shoes to fill - or skates, maybe I should say - no? How will you do it after taking so much time off?

SHION - I'm working with some of the best trainers here in Palo Alto. I split my training time between here and Vancouver. I'm also super big into analytics. I love baseball as well and analytics play a huge part there, moreso than in hockey. I'm working with some great sports data analysts and trainers to micro-optimize my shot and my skating.

JANET - Is there are a particular team you want to hear call your name on draft day?

SHION - Ha, I'd settle for just being drafted. Being somewhere I've got family connections would be cool, so I'd love to go to Vancouver Whalers or the Kelowna Knights. I've heard good things about the Maine Timber though, and I'm pretty sure they've got better lobster there than that one place I go to in Burlingame, so that would definitely be a bonus!

JANET - Anywhere you wouldn't go?

SHION - I guess I shouldn't say... there's always that NorCal vs SoCal rivalry so I think my friends would tease me for going to Anaheim. I've heard they've got good people though, so I wouldn't mind it.

JANET - Cool, thanks for joining us Shion. Good luck on draft day!

SHION - Thanks! Just hoping my name will be called.

---

My first article, hope you guys enjoy it at least a bit! Some of the background details are semi-true Smile

Very nice!

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Japan

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Hey @lmao I gave you the x2 draft media bonus instead of using your first article bonus, so the next article you write just make sure the title includes the x2 first article bonus! cheers

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]