Create Account

Kobo's S57 SHL Draft Recap (2x Media)

Kobo's S57 SHL Draft Recap (2x Media)

I am here with an extremely unique piece of SHL media. This one is all about the S57 SHL draft. No one else has a media about this. I hope you enjoy this exclusive content.

So looking at the draft class there are a total of 59 players here according to the tracker. However, a few of them have earned very little TPE, so I’m only counting players that have 200 TPE or more. That still consists of 48 players ranging from 371 TPE to 200 TPE. Of those 48 players only the top 17 are above 300 TPE. That’s about a third of the class in that elite TPE range. The group from 250 TPE to 299 TPE consists of 18 players. And that leaves 13 players between 200 and 249 TPE. Without looking at the draft I would guess that the order mostly sticks with that tier order, but obviously there will be some outliers. All that said, let’s look at how the draft went.

New England Wolfpack - Jonathan Granstrom - F - 318 TPE

With the first overall pick the Wolfpack took a forward in Granstrom. He has 318 TPE, which is good for 9th overall in the class, but more importantly he is 4th most for Forwards. Now what did the Wolfpack see in Granstrom that they didn’t in the three Forwards in front of him on the board? Anton Mihailov was the top Forward by TPE with 338 TPE.

Minnesota Monarchs - Arsene Leclerc - D - 370 TPE

The Monarchs took the highest TPE defenseman in the draft and also the highest non-Goalie TPE player in the draft. Leclerc has an impressive 370 TPE already and I’m sure he’ll be a great addition to the Monarchs. After going 16-32-2 last season they definitely need to hope they hit on as many draft picks as possible.

Los Angeles Panthers - Sean Gatez - D - 305 TPE

The Panthers took Gatez at third overall, which was kind of surprising to me. He’s only the 16th highest TPE in the class at 305 TPE. There are many defensive players that are much higher on the board like Rude Sniff with 352 TPE. Of course there are always reasons for these picks. Maybe the user had previous experience with the Panthers? Maybe the GMs for the Panthers just really liked their talks with the user to the point that they wanted to take him even if he wasn’t at the top of the TPE board. I wonder though if the Panthers could have grabbed him with their second first round pick and grabbed a higher TPE player with this pick.

New Orleans Specters - Vlastislav Malik - F - 324 TPE

NOLA takes Malik with the fourth overall pick in the draft. Malik has the seventh most TPE and third most among Forwards. There’s not a huge difference between Malik and the next two guys up, so I’m sure the Specters just found that Malik was the best fit for their team.

Winnipeg Jets - Dwayne Gretzky - F - 309 TPE

With the first of two back to back first round picks the Jets take Dwayne Gretzky, a Forward with 309 TPE. Gretzky has the 14th most TPE in the class and the 6th most among Forwards in the class. While it’s by no means a huge reach I do wonder what’s wrong with taking Anton Mihailov here who has the most TPE at Forward in the class. As I’ve already mentioned it probably just comes down to which user the GMs liked best.

Winnipeg Jets - Freyja Hellstrom - F - 330 TPE

The Jets take back to back Forwards in the first and this one is the 2nd highest TPE forward in the draft in Hellstrom. Again it must come down to personality, but I’m surprised Mihailov is still available at this point.

San Francisco Pride - Ruggs McOoooh - D - 321 TPE

The Pride had a rough season finishing with an abysmal record of 4-42-4. Not as bad as Tampa Bay the season before but close. Somehow their first pick wasn’t until the 7th overall selection? I’m not sure how that works, but maybe they traded away their lottery tickets or something? So they ended up grabbing Ruggs McO here who is the 3rd best defensive prospect in this draft class, and eighth most TPE overall. A good pick, but what do people have against Rude Sniff who seems to be falling much farther than I would have anticipated?

Los Angeles Panthers - Jari Heikkinen - D - 310 TPE

The Panthers take another defensive player in the first round of this draft. There are a lot of teams with multiple first round picks in this draft. Must have been a lot of pre-draft trading going on. Heikkinen who’s last name reminds me of that awful beer in the green bottle is the 13th best player overall by TPE and the fifth best defensive player. The Panthers could have a nice 1-2 punch at defense with these two for a long time if they both continue to earn and stay on the team.

New England Wolfpack - Brennan Huff - F - 297

Huff is the first sub 300 TPE player to be taken in the draft and it’s at the ninth pick in the draft. Considering there was a total of 17 players above 300 TPE this seems like a small reach. He is just under that 300 TPE mark at 297, so it’s not a huge reach or anything. This is the 2nd of 3 first round picks for the Wolfpack.

New England Wolfpack - Jon St. Ark - G - 371

After taking two forwards the Wolfpack finish out their three first round picks by taking the first goalie in the draft in St. Ark. A teammate of mine for the 4 Star Cup winning Vancouver Whalers, St. Ark is #1 in TPE in this draft class as of the time of the draft with 371 TPE. I was a bit surprised to see a goalie go in the first, but since the Wolfpack have 3 first round picks they can afford to use one of them on a goalie, especially one that’s obviously a great earner like Arkz is.

Atlanta Inferno - Pablo Salvatici - F - 313 TPE

The Inferno drafted the eleventh overall player in the draft in Salvatici. He’s also the sixth highest Forward in this draft class. He’s also the sixth forward drafted in this draft interestingly enough. There’s still a couple forwards on the board ahead of him in TPE that haven’t been selected.

New Orleans Specters - Cian McFelter - F - 281 TPE

With their second of four first round picks the Specters take the 26th ranked overall player in McFelter. This is also the second Kelowna player they’ve taken. Maybe there is a pipeline that runs from Kelowna to New Orleans? This has got to be one of those situations where the Specters knew who they wanted and drafted him no matter what his TPE was at.

Manhattan Rage - Matty Sandeen - D - 291 TPE

The Rage picked Sandeen with the 13th pick in the first round. Sandeen has the 22nd most TPE in the draft class. The Rage decided to take Sandeen while Sniff was still on the board with 61 more TPE. That’s quite a big difference to pass up.

Calgary Dragons - Luukas Lilja - F - 293 TPE

The Dragons grab the 20th ranked forward out of Carolina with the fourteenth pick in the first round. Not too far off from the first tier group. There’s still a couple forwards left in that top tier group.

Edmonton Blizzard - Rude Sniff - D - 352 TPE

The Blizzard end the huge drop of Sniff and grab him near the end of the first round. Sniff has the third most TPE in this draft class and 2nd highest for a defensive player. The Blizzard are a very good team and just added a top prospect for the future.

New Orleans Specters - Bas O’Bigbers - F - 314 TPE

The Specters get great value at the end of the first with BOB the 10th ranked prospect in the draft class and the fifth best Forward. I don’t know what New Orleans had to give up to get all these draft picks, but they’ve made good use of them so far.

Buffalo Stampede - Anton Mihailov - F - 338 TPE

With the second to last pick in the first round the Stampede grabbed the top forward in the draft in Mihailov. This is another excellent value pick at the end of the first. I would’ve thought Mihailov would have gone in the top 5 of this draft, and the Stampede got him at 17.

New Orleans Specters - Robert Felternsatch - D - 296 TPE

With the final pick in the first round and their fourth pick in the draft the Specters again went back to their Kelowna pipeline to draft Feltersnatch, the 19th best player in the draft. I guess when it works there’s no reason to stop as New Orleans used 3 of their 4 first round picks on players from Kelowna.

With the first round done the amount of players left in the first tier of players is 4 of 17. Two of those players are goalies, so I’m not surprised that they fell out of the first. Farley Hank is the highest remaining non-Goalie player remaining at 312 TPE. While I’m not going to keep going for the rest of the draft as this has taken me quite a while to write I do want to point out that the Specters also had the third and fourth picks in the second round of this draft where they took Farley Hank and Michael Scotch. I have no idea what they had to give up to get all these picks, but if all six of these picks continue to earn TPE at a good rate they could field a good portion of their team for years with players just from this draft class. It will be interesting to see if this strategy will pay off for them. While I’m not in the business of ranking a teams draft and I think it’s pointless as the best time to rank a draft is probably 3 or 4 seasons later it looks like the Specters did a great job not only with amassing picks, but making great selections with those picks.

[Image: Ugn5gZg.jpg]

Nice read. +1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria