Create Account

Active Backup Relief

This may be one case of an underperforming goalie, but in the fhm era Cain has never been below 1500 tpe and never had a mcbride worthy season. Even with an arguably strong defense in front of him.

Carpy got to 2k and afaik his goalie has been meh. Tegernako strung together a good season or two but they still have a bit to go before being truly elite tpe.

Booth and Vilde had incredible seasons which is nice to see (though Vilde is pretty deep in regression so the argument could be made they are over performing their tpe level).

I know it's a reaaallly tricky situation to try and make goalies perform accurate to their tpe levels and probably impossible to do that completely. But speaking as a goalie, it is SO disheartening to grind to 1600+ tpe or so and see a goalie break into the league at 800 tpe and post a save percentage .20 higher than you and cash in on a mcbride their rookie season. Like yeah it's a good story but fuck, what do goalie attributes even do then if you have them beat in every category and still get demolished in stats.

At this point it feels like building a goalie is basically just earning tpe to fight off regression and have a long career so hopefully ONE of the seasons the RNG is nice to you, and bad to the other goalies, and you can feel good about yourself for a month or two.

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

You figure with a backup having to carry more games there would be less active goalies on the FA.

[Image: 54855_s.gif]

Knights ||  Patriotes

Whalers|| Renegades ||  Patriotes ||  Finland

Renegades ||Militia ||Canada  

[Image: jearim.gif]

11-24-2020, 10:25 AMluketd Wrote:
11-24-2020, 10:22 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Is this the case for goalies as well, not just Skaters? Goalies seem to perform pretty well once they get to the 800-1000 TPE range and that is usually about what an active has once he comes out of juniors, so I don't seen an issue with lower TPE goalies being too uncompetitive under a tougher scale. Although the harshening of the scale would mostly have to take play in the mid-to-higher attribute regions, I agree with that.

Oh the 550-800 range I was talking about was for skaters not goalies.

For goalies, it’s a little tougher because they are also the product of the team around them. We it’s a bit harder to pinpoint where they would be viable in the SHL level. If you we, looking at goalies like Eller or Samat, so then the question goes to how do we want to shape the goalie update scale so it doesn’t punish teams that don’t have the best teams, while making it possible for goalies to be great on great teams(Jobin on HAM, etc). It’s something we need to look further into and we want to only do this once. We want to make sure we get it right the first time(well, 2nd time, but you get the point)

Yeah this definitely needs to be well thought through and not rushed, as do most things about this goalie discussion where I think a few people have been a bit too quick to jump to conclusions. At this point however, having goalies on an old version of our update scale seems quite anachronistic, especially if this old update scale is essentially too easy which ironically isn't good for the goalies themselves but bad, because it allows almost no separation for the really engaged ones as we have seen in recent years.

11-24-2020, 09:56 AMluketd Wrote:
11-24-2020, 09:50 AMCount Chocula Wrote: Why not just raise the cap by 2 million and keep the same rules. Remove the bureaucracy from the equation.  All backups play 25% of games regardless of activity. Make GMs budget better.

If we do that, GMs won’t spend that cap on backup goalies. This cap relief is specifically for teams that have active backups. Inactive backups play 12 games, that’s the minimum. For active backups we want them to Atleast play 17 games, then it’s up to the GM to play them more.

What about playoffs?

I assume the 25% only counts for regular season games? So basically a quality team still will play with only 1 goalie, saving the extra money on their skaters for playoffs?

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

11-24-2020, 12:58 PMgordieboom Wrote:
11-24-2020, 09:56 AMluketd Wrote: If we do that, GMs won’t spend that cap on backup goalies. This cap relief is specifically for teams that have active backups. Inactive backups play 12 games, that’s the minimum. For active backups we want them to Atleast play 17 games, then it’s up to the GM to play them more.

What about playoffs?

I assume the 25% only counts for regular season games? So basically a quality team still will play with only 1 goalie, saving the extra money on their skaters for playoffs?

25% only counts for regular season games yes. I mean, maybe? Last season Hamilton lost to teams like TBB playing their backup goalie. The switch off is that for 17 games, teams can play another good goalie, and with the parity between teams getting better(thats the main goal), teams are persuaded more to have active backups in order to actually win their games. Now yes, they can only play 1 goalie and roll the dice on 12 games with an inactive goalie, but thats up to the teams.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]